I think I'm ready....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same issues with red meats, amazingly, Bugsy is the only one who has no problems! :thud:
Lucky can only eat pork at 50/50, and now I had to stop her intros with lamb and venison :barf: Hope all of the sudden started :barf: with meals of 100% reds too, Nooooo idea why! So she is back at 50/50. Happened all of the sudden.... Bugsy can eat a truck for dinner and he is just fine- so much for Ibd :rolleyes:
Ps. Pork is red meat, rabbit is white meat :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL -- thanks! Dang those commercials getting "The Other White Meat" drilled into my head. And there, I thought chickens lived in the sea too.

I've pumped the brakes a bit on meat introductions and have them on chicken thighs, breasts, turkey breasts (on the hunt for thighs again), and pork. So far, they are gobbling it right up!

It's amazing how hard it is to find meat that isn't injected with some kind of craziness, even the natural labeled stuff! Goodness!

I've been able to get them to eat their meal with the krill oil too! I'm so excited!
I love the moisture it adds too for the powders to mix in. I also switched over to Stewart's FD Chicken Livers and so far, Naku loves them! Esme is still a CoTW gal, but I'm going to see if she will eat some of the chicken liver treats if I stop the CoTW.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Ya'll!

Wow! It's been awhile since I posted last! So... the kitties are doing great on their diet! Most recently, they are eating chicken breast, chicken thighs, pork loin (I got a HUGE 12lb loin for dirt cheap, so half went to them, half to us!), and turkey breast. These are what I've had available to me most recently, as I haven't done much venturing out to other stores with studying and what not.

Soo.. they are both accepting on their krill oil still AND Esme is even gobbling up her food with Evening Primrose Oil on it! I joined a Yahoo group for asthmatic kitties and Esme will beginning her inhaler soon (as she started having attacks, again). I really don't like giving her crappy treats; however, she is most convinced I think, by them (unless they are sprinkled on her food, then she knows something is up, lol), so I will be using a Temptation or two to introduce her to the Aerokat. That should be loads of fun!

Naku is still doing great with his FD chicken livers and little bits of kidney. Esme, still not convinced when I do try to give her something other than her CoTW, so it looks like she is still a all CoTW girl.

We also have a new constant question in the house after I go grocery shopping - "Hey, *insert meat type here*, is this for us or them?". I really wish some of the stores provided more info on their meats (more specifically, if they inject it or not!). I hate when I pick up "All Natural meat, minimally processed", then 200mg of sodium! Um, no.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having luck with the krill too, with all but Mazy. She still needs a little "incentive" dusted over a meal that contains krill oil. Glad things are going so well! Good luck to Esme with her inhaler.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: Wow, that's GREAT news! :clap: :clap: :clap: Well - except :princess: Esme needing the inhaler. :(

And that is just too funny about the meat question! :lol3: I always tell Gary - he can use it - it is HUMAN grade meat from the supermarket. :flail:

I must live in a good place for labeling. All I have to do is turn the package over, and the info is listed there. I don't buy it if the sodium is over 100mg.

Good luck with the inhaler!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm having luck with the krill too, with all but Mazy. She still needs a little "incentive" dusted over a meal that contains krill oil. Glad things are going so well! Good luck to Esme with her inhaler.
Thanks!! I built Esme up to a full dosage and I just love the added moisture for mixing her CoTW since it requires so much!
Wow, that's GREAT news!
Well - except
Esme needing the inhaler.

And that is just too funny about the meat question!
I always tell Gary - he can use it - it is HUMAN grade meat from the supermarket.

I must live in a good place for labeling. All I have to do is turn the package over, and the info is listed there. I don't buy it if the sodium is over 100mg.
Good luck with the inhaler!!!!
Yeah -- some of my stores do and others don't. More often than not, I struggle to find it. I also try to find anything under 100mg.

Thanks for the vibes with the inhaler! I really think the Evening Primrose Oil is helping her for sure though, because even though she is still having attacks, they aren't as bad.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Ya'll! I just wanted to post an update on Esme and Naku! They are doing wonderfully on the raw diet! Their puking is almost non-existant now, thank goodness! Due to pulling back some strings on the finances, they are just getting meat that is locally available (rather than orders from Hare Today, since they can get a little pricey). So their diet is: chicken breasts, chicken tenderloins, pork loin, turkey breast, turkey thighs. Plus they get their sardines once or twice a week. It can just be quite frustrating around here though, because many of the stores do not label their meats with the sodium content and it is just driving me batty.

I am going to try and stop again at the Oriental market during the day when their meat section is open, to see if I can find some more "exotic" meats for them at a good price. Last time I went there, the meat section was closed for the night so they only had a few items out.

We were feeding 1.5oz per meal, but have temporarily bumped it up to 1.65-1.7oz per meal, since it just seemed they were incredibly hungry. They have been on the new one for about a week now, so I am going to check their weight over the next few weeks to make sure they don't get too tubby on me. As for liver and secreting organs go, they are just getting liver at this point. I've tried kidney quite a few times with Naku and even Esme and it has been in teenie tiny amounts and they just vomit after those meals -- so at this point, Naku is getting FD liver (10%) and Esme is getting her CoTW.

Question for Laurie or Carolina, since I know you have CoTW kitties too, do you feed them anything additional for organ meat? I think I've read no additional liver for CoTW kitties.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: That's great news!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

CoTW has everything needed to make just meat complete. :) But I do give Lazlo some FD liver as a treat every couple of days (and I still give him the krill oil, the egg yolk, and the probiotic. He doesn't like sardines. In fact, he doesn't like the egg yolk, but I give him half, mix in a little water so it's soupy, not sticky, and I cover it with the FD liver powder to get him to eat it).

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi Ya'll! I just wanted to post an update on Esme and Naku! They are doing wonderfully on the raw diet! Their puking is almost non-existant now, thank goodness! Due to pulling back some strings on the finances, they are just getting meat that is locally available (rather than orders from Hare Today, since they can get a little pricey). So their diet is: chicken breasts, chicken tenderloins, pork loin, turkey breast, turkey thighs. Plus they get their sardines once or twice a week. It can just be quite frustrating around here though, because many of the stores do not label their meats with the sodium content and it is just driving me batty.

I am going to try and stop again at the Oriental market during the day when their meat section is open, to see if I can find some more "exotic" meats for them at a good price. Last time I went there, the meat section was closed for the night so they only had a few items out.

We were feeding 1.5oz per meal, but have temporarily bumped it up to 1.65-1.7oz per meal, since it just seemed they were incredibly hungry. They have been on the new one for about a week now, so I am going to check their weight over the next few weeks to make sure they don't get too tubby on me. As for liver and secreting organs go, they are just getting liver at this point. I've tried kidney quite a few times with Naku and even Esme and it has been in teenie tiny amounts and they just vomit after those meals -- so at this point, Naku is getting FD liver (10%) and Esme is getting her CoTW.

Question for Laurie or Carolina, since I know you have CoTW kitties too, do you feed them anything additional for organ meat? I think I've read no additional liver for CoTW kitties.
What are you using for calcium for Naku?  Esme is getting her calcium thru CaTW, but Naku needs his elsewhere. 

So glad they are doing.  Mine don't eat any of what yours eat, and I started WAY ahead of you
.  Only one of my kids will eat any "chunks" at all,and really she only likes duck hearts and chicken livers.  That's it.  I have tried chicken breasts, thighs, turkey tenderloins, thighs, pork tenderloin, chicken hearts, gizzards and all have been rebuked
.  So, my three only consistently eat Primal Beef and Salmon (this is ONE flavor), or Primal Beef/Salmon mixed with some Primal Turkey or HT plain ground turkey, OR Radcat lamb.  That's it other than Callies occasional duck hearts and chicken liver.  What is with my cats?  Are they just the exception to the rule? 
(rhetorical question)

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoTW has everything needed to make just meat complete.
But I do give Lazlo some FD liver as a treat every couple of days (and I still give him the krill oil, the egg yolk, and the probiotic. He doesn't like sardines. In fact, he doesn't like the egg yolk, but I give him half, mix in a little water so it's soupy, not sticky, and I cover it with the FD liver powder to get him to eat it).
Thanks! That's what I thought but I just felt like she still might be lacking on some liver. I might try crushing it a bit and giving it to her once to see what happens.
What are you using for calcium for Naku?  Esme is getting her calcium thru CaTW, but Naku needs his elsewhere. 

So glad they are doing.  Mine don't eat any of what yours eat, and I started WAY ahead of you
.  Only one of my kids will eat any "chunks" at all,and really she only likes duck hearts and chicken livers.  That's it.  I have tried chicken breasts, thighs, turkey tenderloins, thighs, pork tenderloin, chicken hearts, gizzards and all have been rebuked
.  So, my three only consistently eat Primal Beef and Salmon (this is ONE flavor), or Primal Beef/Salmon mixed with some Primal Turkey or HT plain ground turkey, OR Radcat lamb.  That's it other than Callies occasional duck hearts and chicken liver.  What is with my cats?  Are they just the exception to the rule? 
(rhetorical question)
Naku gets a rotation of Eggshell Powder and MCH (not even going to try and spell it off hand)

Naku will eat ground, but they both definitely prefer chunks. Funny thing is, for Christmas, I got a meat grinder attachment for my new mixer. Too bad they both don't like ground meat. Oh well, more for us humans!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read this entire thread. My Aria is just like your Esme in terms of raw transition. Thanks for posting your transition. It's helped me a lot.