I think I'm ready....

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*Phew --
I think I might be a little bit cross-eyed at the moment from all of the raw reading, but I think I am finally reading ready.

I have been lurking the raw section of the forums on and off for month, due to Naku's gastrointestinal issues. We think he may have IBD (he, in a nutshell, I think is a good description of IBD) along with not being able to eat poultry or rice. I have been getting frustrated with the limited amount of non-poultry, but non-fish foods on the market (they only get fish once, maybe twice per week) and I think Naku has finally hit a wall is just as bored with his food as we are.

He has begun to eat significantly less (in comparison to chowing down in nano seconds) because he just doesn't seem interested, but he will eat "just enough" it seems. I have read before that others who had poultry allergies were able to eat it in it's raw form, so while cutting up a whole chicken the other day, we gave him a chunk of chicken breast and he chowed down with NO puke!

It seems everyone is saying Rad Cat is the best with Hare Today, next in line. I am looking to buy both of these to mix proteins, but does anyone have any views on Primal or Nature's Variety? I know these two brands are available locally for me, rather than online only.

So, thank you for the loads of information and I sure hope this raw transition will be successful! I am excited! (The challenge, at this point, I think will be Esme)

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it might be best to start with something that's available locally, just to "test the waters" so to speak.  I know I started with Primal, and now have advanced to Radcat (which I DO have to order on-line). I guess you've read that not all cats take to raw, so before you buy a bunch, you could get a variety pack, which I think Nature's Variety sells.  (or maybe it's Primal...sorry, can't remember) 

Oh!  and as far as Naku not being able to eat poultry, have you seen any of the threads discussing that some cats who cannot eat chicken in kibble or canned sometimes CAN eat it raw? 

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck. I just gave my babies rad cat last night and primal today for the first time. Ate it up without hesitation.  The primal Turkey does NOT appeal to me and I think it stinks but I'm not eating it lol.  I like that it's somewhat portioned out for me already which makes it a bit easier.  I figured as I transition both the cats and myself a good balanced portioned out commercial brand is a good place to start. 

Good luck!  Lots of info out there, huh? It's extremely overwhelming to me :-(

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Primal and Nature's Variety have some veggies in them, but it's limited to like 5%, so it's not much. They're both quality products. :nod: I started with the Nature's Variety rabbit. :)

I'm pretty sure it's the Primal that has the variety pack. Ask the store to get one - it's a great way to test the waters!

When I started, I put a little blob of raw in the bowl with their canned food, but not mixed in. I watched who ate what. I took it slowly the first few days/weeks when introducing new proteins, etc., just to make sure no one had diarrhea from the transition.

And do think of this more like a kibble transition than a wet food transition - their bodies have to adapt to digesting the raw, it isn't just like switching canned foods. Their systems will become more acidic (which is NATURAL for them!). That has long term benefits, but short term can cause vomiting up some bile if a meal is late, because they're not used to the extra stomach acid. We had that a few times, but a few months into it, and it doesn't happen anymore. :) (Though I do try to be on time! :lol3: ).

I think I took about a week to switch to 100% raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies!

I went to the store today and got the Primal Variety Pack to 1) See who likes what and how they take to little bits of raw 2) It's convenient size will make it easy to transition. I also grabbed some Nature's Variety Lamb medallions. I figured these might be easiest to start with over patties (they both love rabbit, but they only had patties).
Oh!  and as far as Naku not being able to eat poultry, have you seen any of the threads discussing that some cats who cannot eat chicken in kibble or canned sometimes CAN eat it raw? 
I have seen the threads and when we were cutting up a whole chicken the other night, we gave him a chunk of chicken and he was perfectly fine.
When we were testing different things with ingredients like poultry and/or rice, even the smallest bit would cause him to
-- so I am feeling pretty hopeful right now for the transition!

Now that I have got some commercial raw in the house, I am going to try out these 2 brands and if all goes well, I definitely want to get Rad Cat and Hare Today, and at some point down the road, start making it ourselves.

Another question that I didn't really, was how often does every feed their cats? With their wet food, we feed them 2x per day (per the vet) @ 11:30am and 11:30pm - due to our schedules. 5-7 days we can probably fit in 3 feedings now that I am on a new schedule, but there will be 2 days where I won't be home until late (but in time for the evening feeding). Is it ok to stick with 2x/day feedings?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they're doing well on that schedule, and that's the schedule you can regularly keep, I'd probably just stick with it. See how it goes. :)

Keep us posted! It can be both fun and frustrating, figuring out what they like - or don't. :lol3:

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*****FEEDING 1 HAPPENED***** er, well, currently in progress..

Have to do some jumps of joy for Naku! I took out a Primal Beef & Salmon 1oz nugget tonight to split up between Esme and Naku, and mixed it into their Cowboy Cookout. I put the plate of food down and he picked out all of raw and CHOWED down!
So I have a great feeling this will be good for him!

However -- 
Her Royal Heiness, Princess Esme gave me the look that she may think I am certifiably insane for giving it to her. I put her food down, mixed with the Cowboy Cookout (and a couple of pieces of her BG kibble to lure her in on top - otherwise she won't even think about trying something new) and so far, it has been a no go. I sat with her for a few minutes and I think she may be a bit confused.
I tried putting her in front of it and my usual tactics like sitting with her, dabbing it a bit, etc., but she is the extremely stubborn one so I have a feeling, unless a miracle happens, it may be a longgggg transition for her into raw.

Last edited:

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they're doing well on that schedule, and that's the schedule you can regularly keep, I'd probably just stick with it. See how it goes.

Keep us posted! It can be both fun and frustrating, figuring out what they like - or don't.
Thanks! I will stick with 2x a day for now and worst case scenario, I can up it to 3x if needed for most days out of the week.

wilson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! PrincessEsme your cats look exactly like my two cats

I have just started raw with both of mine too. I am using carnivora product. Today I gave them some Elk.

they both turned up their noses, which is not like wilson, he will usually eat anything.  Shadow is miss picky pants.

I found the trick to get them both to eat it, Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

On the web site of the food I feed it does say to feed one kind of protein for several days, just until your cat gets used to it, and their poopies get solid.

I have heard from quite a few people that the NV raw has alot of bone, so be careful, and monitor poopies to make sure they dont get constipated.

keep me  posted...and if you can send me pics of your kitties in a message (not sure if that is possible or not) and I will send you one too.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
*****FEEDING 1 HAPPENED***** er, well, currently in progress..

Have to do some jumps of joy for Naku! I took out a Primal Beef & Salmon 1oz nugget tonight to split up between Esme and Naku, and mixed it into their Cowboy Cookout. I put the plate of food down and he picked out all of raw and CHOWED down!
So I have a great feeling this will be good for him!

However -- 
Her Royal Heiness, Princess Esme gave me the look that she may think I am certifiably insane for giving it to her. I put her food down, mixed with the Cowboy Cookout (and a couple of pieces of her BG kibble to lure her in on top - otherwise she won't even think about trying something new) and so far, it has been a no go. I sat with her for a few minutes and I think she may be a bit confused.
I tried putting her in front of it and my usual tactics like sitting with her, dabbing it a bit, etc., but she is the extremely stubborn one so I have a feeling, unless a miracle happens, it may be a longgggg transition for her into raw.

Great that Naku is taking to it so easily.  And we ALL have our little
's!  You might have to go even slower with her and add just 1/4 teaspoon of the raw into her wet food for awhile, until she gets used to it.  I know that is a very small amount, but sometimes that's what you have to do.  (who am I to talk...right now I have my Diva on a complete raw strike and I think would literally starve himself if I let him, so really I am not one to offer any advise!)  Or try different flavors.  None of my 3 will touch any poultry at all in the "wet raw", but they like it in dehydrated, so it's just a matter of finding what they like. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go Naku! :clap: :bigthumb: It's so nice and easy when they like it. :lol3:

For Esme.... as Sally suggest, try a smaller amount. :nod: If she doesn't go for it, just put a very small amount next to her canned food in the same dish. She'll get used to the smell, and eventually try it. :nod: You can also crush a little kibble, or something else she loves, and sprinkle it on top of that little piece of raw next to her canned. :nod: That's how Carolina transitioned her Lucky to raw - it took 35 days for Lucky to lick it, but once she started, she kept going!

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great that Naku is taking to it so easily.  And we ALL have our little
's!  You might have to go even slower with her and add just 1/4 teaspoon of the raw into her wet food for awhile, until she gets used to it.  I know that is a very small amount, but sometimes that's what you have to do.  (who am I to talk...right now I have my Diva on a complete raw strike and I think would literally starve himself if I let him, so really I am not one to offer any advise!)  Or try different flavors.  None of my 3 will touch any poultry at all in the "wet raw", but they like it in dehydrated, so it's just a matter of finding what they like. 
Thank you! I will try a smaller amount with her tonight and blend it in, I think a little bit more. She is a chicken girl, so maybe she will respond to their chicken flavors. If I have no luck with all of the Primal Flavors, I will keep trying since I know she is particular about even wet foods.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Go Naku!
It's so nice and easy when they like it.

For Esme.... as Sally suggest, try a smaller amount.
If she doesn't go for it, just put a very small amount next to her canned food in the same dish. She'll get used to the smell, and eventually try it.
You can also crush a little kibble, or something else she loves, and sprinkle it on top of that little piece of raw next to her canned.
That's how Carolina transitioned her Lucky to raw - it took 35 days for Lucky to lick it, but once she started, she kept going!
Thanks!! I had to do something similar with the transition to wet. She still has to have a small crushed amount of kibble on top of wet sometimes for her to eat it (typically new flavors). She doesn't respond to parmesan, bonito flakes, etc.

Another question that I thought of to convince Esme -- She LOVES cooked chicken (esp KFC lol, but not canned so much). Would I be able to cook up a chicken breast and shred off some small pieces as a topping to lure her into at least sniffing the raw? Wasn't sure if the cooked and raw would create an issue.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! PrincessEsme your cats look exactly like my two cats

I have just started raw with both of mine too. I am using carnivora product. Today I gave them some Elk.

they both turned up their noses, which is not like wilson, he will usually eat anything.  Shadow is miss picky pants.

I found the trick to get them both to eat it, Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

On the web site of the food I feed it does say to feed one kind of protein for several days, just until your cat gets used to it, and their poopies get solid.

I have heard from quite a few people that the NV raw has alot of bone, so be careful, and monitor poopies to make sure they dont get constipated.

keep me  posted...and if you can send me pics of your kitties in a message (not sure if that is possible or not) and I will send you one too.
Thanks for the heads up on NV.

-- and I am pretty sure, our cats are twins.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another question that I thought of to convince Esme -- She LOVES cooked chicken (esp KFC lol, but not canned so much). Would I be able to cook up a chicken breast and shred off some small pieces as a topping to lure her into at least sniffing the raw? Wasn't sure if the cooked and raw would create an issue.
If she loves cooked chicken, use it! Most of us use a product by Whole Life - it's freeze dried chicken (that's cooked). Most of our cats absolutely love it, and it powders easily, so makes a great topper. But if you want to use fresh cooked chicken, there isn't any reason not to. :D

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up on the Whole Life treats. I have tried other freeze dried treats with her and no success.

I think I will cook up a chicken breast tomorrow and chop up for toppings.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooooo how wonderful!! Another raw feeding attempt!!!! :lol3: It can be quite challenging in the beginning figuring out who likes what and how they like it prepared. I do feed NV in rotation here and use the Organic Chicken, Duck and rabbit, but yeah, watch out for the bones... I smoosh it between my fingers and still pick out the bigger pieces of bone. My cats usually will not eat the fragments anyway but I am pretty thorough at removing the bone fragments. Rad Cat and Hare Today are also favorites. I find though that the ground Hare Today rabbit has more bone than any other ground they make. So I pick out those too.

Hope the cooked chicken topping worked!! :D Good luck with your transition and it sounds like it is going really well especially Naku :clap::clap::clap:. It can take months :sigh:.... for some. LIke my Perla. BUT we are finally there :woohoo: We always say here... "THERE IS ALWAYS THAT ONE!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up on the Whole Life treats. I have tried other freeze dried treats with her and no success.

I think I will cook up a chicken breast tomorrow and chop up for toppings.
I don't think I've EVER heard of a cat who didn't love the Whole Life chicken.  It's 100% pure chicken breast.  What's not to love? 

Oh!  and another trick you can try is actually just searing the outside of a raw meat pattie to try to get them to eat it.  One day I had to cutest, tiniest little lamburgers you ever saw in my saute pan.  I think they were about 1 inch in diameter.  One for each cat.  You don't really want to cook it, you still want ti raw inside, but it's just another thing to try "when all else fails".

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did the cooked chicken work?
I didn't end up using it lastnight because we didn't have any chicken to make, so I put an even smaller amount of raw in her wet food last night and she at least ate maybe 1/3rd of her food, that I put down, so I am hoping she at least got a bite of raw in there. I am assuming she stopped when she got a little bit bigger piece. She at least didn't give me the insane stare.

I don't think I've EVER heard of a cat who didn't love the Whole Life chicken.  It's 100% pure chicken breast.  What's not to love? 

Oh!  and another trick you can try is actually just searing the outside of a raw meat pattie to try to get them to eat it.  One day I had to cutest, tiniest little lamburgers you ever saw in my saute pan.  I think they were about 1 inch in diameter.  One for each cat.  You don't really want to cook it, you still want ti raw inside, but it's just another thing to try "when all else fails".
Thank you for the tip on searing it! I imagine that is what my little searing will look like, a slice of Ahi Tuna or something.

Ooooooo how wonderful!! Another raw feeding attempt!!!!
It can be quite challenging in the beginning figuring out who likes what and how they like it prepared. I do feed NV in rotation here and use the Organic Chicken, Duck and rabbit, but yeah, watch out for the bones... I smoosh it between my fingers and still pick out the bigger pieces of bone. My cats usually will not eat the fragments anyway but I am pretty thorough at removing the bone fragments. Rad Cat and Hare Today are also favorites. I find though that the ground Hare Today rabbit has more bone than any other ground they make. So I pick out those too.
Hope the cooked chicken topping worked!!
Good luck with your transition and it sounds like it is going really well especially Naku
. It can take months
.... for some. LIke my Perla. BUT we are finally there
We always say here... "THERE IS ALWAYS THAT ONE!!!!!"
Thanks for the heads up on the bones in NV. I wish NV sold sample packs like Primal does, but that's ok. I have a deep freezer and I think I will make the small section the cat section of raw meats so I can use NV in rotation due to the bones.

Day 2 (Yesterday)

Yesterday, they didn't get raw in the AM because my boyfriend forgot, but they got another split nugget in the evening. Naku got 3/4 of it and Esme got 1/4. I think I might need to use a little bit less with her as suggested, I was hoping just the 1/4th of a teenie sample nugget would be ok for her, apparently not.

Naku, of course, ate every last bit and hunted the house for more, while Esme ate a little bit, but is still a little suspicious.

Day 3 (Today)

I wasn't home, but according to my boyfriend, Esme ate a little bit again, with raw mixed in and Naku cleaned house.

I grabbed some chicken breast on the way home tonight and cooked one up for Esme to use as a topping to lure her in. I sure hope it works!
We ran out of the beef and salmon sample nuggets, so they will be moving on to a new sample flavor tonight. I think I am going to go with a poultry nugget this time.

I also tried to give raw chicken as a snack when I was wrapping up the chicken breasts. Naku ate two pieces and I got Esme to come over and at least sniff it. She didn't seem interested though. Considering I adopted her when she was 8 and she loves kibble (I think from many years of only dry), combined with her diva-ness, this will definitely be a long process. Heck, even switching to wet with her still has it's moments where she's in a mood. She is not a fan of change in her food.

Last edited: