I Live With A Cat

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
*Been there, seen that--several times, with different sofas!*
I just got into kids upholstered furniture and won't stop until all four cats have one. My wife got Taz a navy blue one last night, he should look really nice on it. I have my eye on a pink love seat for Zoe but have not seen one for Kitty yet. Zoe's dark gray color on pink should look as nice as Taz on a navy blue. Got the chair below on the weekend.

My wife works at HomeSense and with her discount only cost her around $80.00, the love seat will cost more. For that price the cats can, scratch, scratch, scratch but for the most part they don't attack the furniture they like their scratch pads.

Rusty

Taz

Same chair different lighting and not the ideal color for Taz.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to jinx myself, but Luciano does not scratch my furniture (he's got plenty of other issues though, see behavior section). A cat behaviorist told me it's to do with the type of fabric a couch is made with; some are just not as pleasant for cats to scratch than others. My current couch is over 30 years old (used to be in my parents' house) and is brown plush. I think shiny, vinyl, leather fabric is more enticing for cats, but I'm sure when it's time to give up this couch, whatever I get as a substitute will be the kind he likes to scratch.
Hmmm. Well, I've heard all kinds of hypotheses but when my then-husband and I needed to furnish our new home, we chose leather for the sofa and chairs, and they have never been bothered at all; in fact, the cats rarely even jump up on them and then mostly when someone is sitting on them providing a warm lap. I've always had bad luck with upholstered furniture especially brocade and cut velvet. And anything that is textured is fair game, because it's wonderful for cats to sink their claws into for a really satisfying scratch!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got into kids upholstered furniture and won't stop until all four cats have one. My wife got Taz a navy blue one last night, he should look really nice on it. I have my eye on a pink love seat for Zoe but have not seen one for Kitty yet. Zoe's dark gray color on pink should look as nice as Taz on a navy blue. Got the chair below on the weekend.

My wife works at HomeSense and with her discount only cost her around $80.00, the love seat will cost more. For that price the cats can, scratch, scratch, scratch but for the most part they don't attack the furniture they like their scratch pads.

Rusty

Taz

I think they're gorgeous! By the way, IDK if you have IKEA anywhere nearby, but they have just launched a full line of cat furniture, textiles, bowls, litter boxes and mats, etc. Gorgeous and affordable!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they're gorgeous! By the way, IDK if you have IKEA anywhere nearby, but they have just launched a full line of cat furniture, textiles, bowls, litter boxes and mats, etc. Gorgeous and affordable!
There is a huge Ikea about 5 minute drive from my house, will have to check it out :) Thanks for the tip.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Rusty

Taz

Rusty and Taz look so happy and comfortable !!!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see stuff for the front window :) It is a floor to ceiling window. The cats spend most of the day there watching chipmunks and squirrels on the front lawn. I will get more kid furniture for the TV room but the IKEA stuff screams "Christmas Gifts". Thanks again for the tip.
Great! As a lifelong cat lover and a dyed-in-the-wool IKEA freakie, I'm only too glad to pimp for them :cool2: And that website belongs to a dear friend of our furmily, btw.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for the heads-up on Ikea stuff. I've been thinking of making a scratching 'post' out of a narrow portion of my wall between my bedroom & the bathroom with carpet glue gunned to the wall. I'll have to measure and see if the sisal velcro thing will work instead. The fold out bed is hilarious; I'm imagining the cat opening it himself when he's done sitting on it and wants a little nap.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for the heads-up on Ikea stuff. I've been thinking of making a scratching 'post' out of a narrow portion of my wall between my bedroom & the bathroom with carpet glue gunned to the wall. I'll have to measure and see if the sisal velcro thing will work instead. The fold out bed is hilarious; I'm imagining the cat opening it himself when he's done sitting on it and wants a little nap.
Not sure if you know already but be sure to use Low VOC carpet glue for cat stuff.

I used Solvent Free, Low VOCs glue when I built the following. My cat Taz is very sensitive to smells and he has no problem being on it. If it was giving off a chemical smell he wouldn't go on it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*You might want to put a cam on the room if you get one of those for Luciano. Probably won't take any time at all for him to figure it out.* :geekcat:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got a new lounger for my non-existent cats. They can’t figure out why I insist on having dinner on their new toy. :headscratch::dunno:

View attachment 203294
I thought it was rather good of you to get chairs to match the cats :) Those are some mighty cure kitties! And I lovvvvve wood. It feels so warm to me, that table is really nice.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was rather good of you to get chairs to match the cats :) Those are some mighty cure kitties! And I lovvvvve wood. It feels so warm to me, that table is really nice.
*Butting in unsolicited, as usual* So do I (love wood)! and I agree about the furniture. Around here, if the furniture doesn't match and/or please the cats, it gets discarded :winkcat:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add to my previous comment. Hot glue gun, the glue won't hold up well to a cat at least not my cats, my heaviest is Rusty at 19 pounds. I would recommend a thick wallpaper on the wall and let it dry really well. Then the carpet glue I noted above on the wallpaper so it doesn't destroy the wall pulling wallpaper off down the road :) Carpet glue won't come off easy. Make sure you cover the entire surface with carpet glue you don't want areas they can pull away at.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
*Butting in unsolicited, as usual* So do I (love wood)! and I agree about the furniture. Around here, if the furniture doesn't match and/or please the cats, it gets discarded :winkcat:
When I chat you can jump in at any time :) :) :) You are one of my favvvvorite people.