I let feral Minou inside. Need cat language translation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha @ double ditto.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me :)

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This just in! And always keep in mind i know little about cat language\behavior so i'm not sure what to make of all this. I feel silly asking this, but i think i have my fear specs on again. Just to make sure, here goes the story.

Minou slept for 4 hours on the cat tree in the kitchen after his Metrodanizole supper. Pixie was on her side of the door, interested at the sight of him. She still came in the livingroom to sleep next to me on the couch after a while. Fast forward to when Minou woke up and we both heard the loud thump meaning he was down the tree now. He ate a bit, as she tried to watch from under the door, but there is very little room down there to see. He came to the door, and Pixie stuck her paw under the door, and he whacked it. Then commenced the whack-a-mole contest between their paws under the door. I was holding the door cause i was afraid it would break again and they would not stop, so i took Pixie in the bedroom, where the door is much more solid. He came out the kitchen ans murdered some toys and punched holes in the tunnel for a while, then he understood Pixie was in the bedroom and the paw thing started again under the door. I could NOT get him to move from there. He was very focused. Tried with toys, treats, food..to no avail. Clapped my hands, called him loudly, he didn't care. Finally i took a massive cushion and slid it against the door so he would move, and to block the door. He tried to go under it, but i whipped out a noisy toy and he ran after it, so i could at least get him back in the kitchen.

So...was it a game? Or was it a prey thing? To my knowledge, they both did not hiss or growl. but i'm wondering if it was all friendly or prey-ish. I have no idea if their claws were in or out.

I feel like this could be obvious to you all that it was play, but i have doubts as per usual. That big guy can whack.
Body positions; First i was on Pixie's side and she kind of had her butt in the air and was leaning down on her elbows. Then when i was on Minou's side, he was either laying down like a sphinx, front whacking paw out, or on his side so he could see under the door with one eye.

What do y'all think?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are playing. Every cat I've taken into my home and put in a room by him or herself has played "pawsies" with my other cats under the door. They still do sometines. I'm not saying there isn't a tiny element of aggression and sizing up going on--just that this is normal.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is why i ask these silly questions. Cause knowledgeable people share their perspectives and make me see more clearly. Thanks for the input @MsAimee

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like play to me too.  If nobody screeched because the other hooked their pad then I'd sit back, watch and enjoy.

One of my cats did that to the dog next door.  Twitchie would lie by the wood fence and stick her little black toesie woesies under it.  Pepper, the dog next door, would come to investigate the tantalizing little black sausages, stick her nose down to sniff them and Twitchie would grab her nose.  Pepper would YELP, back off and not come near the fence.  Twitchie, having had her fun for the day, would wander off but a month or so later the cat would do it again and the same thing would happen.  That poor dog, she never learned.  Cats rule, dogs drool.  

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully that means they'll be play buddies one day!

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure HE PEED IN HIS WATER BOWL! The bowl is surrounded by a pee puddle this morning, and there was some in the actual water. I think it was him cause his food was still there on the side table. The water bowl is about a yard from the litter box on the porch, and it has always been that way with no problems using both.
There was some pee on my shoes a couple days ago too.
What the....

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What?  Really?  I have known of them to pee or poop near another cat's eating or sleeping place (and litter box) but not right in the bowl.  Kind of hard to imagine the manipulations that would take.  That sure sounds like some kind of protest.  Beyond me, I can't even think what to try to stop that.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Piano Cat

The water dish was sitting in a puddle, and the water was yellow. There were several pee spots all around. My solution was to put the dish on the side table where i usually put the food.
The food was still there, so no other cat got to it, but it doesn't mean he didn't get a visitor over night. This morning, there was a single wet spot, dripping pee from the door. Gah..
This is why it would be best to keep him in at night, be he has basically disappeared from 6 pm till very late into the night. He is there in the morning.
And he stil has the runs. I saw today. He yowled and strained. The he overgroomed his bum and played with a leaf before talking off.
Second round of fenben tomorrow for 3 days. He's on probiotics for 3 days now. Hates pumpkin.
Ithink others are still feeding him and maybe even letting him inside their home. He's getting so big.
Doesn't want to stay in very log since i kept him in my kitchen from the time i left for work till i came home for lunch. I did that so he would take him food with his medecine. He didnt. He was hiding in my oven drawer when i came home. He had gotten in it from behind it.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Piano Cat  He popped up just a few minutes after i send my reply. He is now inside playing pawsies with Pixie non stop for almost an hour. They both takes treats but won't really eat a meal this close to one another.
I took his bedding inside in case i keep him overnight, and sure enough once it got warm it started to smell like pee. So the bedding was sprayed too. That explains why he doesn't sleep there anymore, and perhaps why he has been gone a lot. On the other hand, i have been sitting on it all this time without knowing it is soiled :\

He peed in the litter box inside though. Still smells so much stronger than Pixie's, even exactly a month since he's been neutered.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Piano Cat

The water dish was sitting in a puddle, and the water was yellow. There were several pee spots all around. My solution was to put the dish on the side table where i usually put the food.
The food was still there, so no other cat got to it, but it doesn't mean he didn't get a visitor over night. This morning, there was a single wet spot, dripping pee from the door. Gah..
This is why it would be best to keep him in at night, be he has basically disappeared from 6 pm till very late into the night. He is there in the morning.
And he stil has the runs. I saw today. He yowled and strained. The he overgroomed his bum and played with a leaf before talking off.
Second round of fenben tomorrow for 3 days. He's on probiotics for 3 days now. Hates pumpkin.
Ithink others are still feeding him and maybe even letting him inside their home. He's getting so big.
Doesn't want to stay in very log since i kept him in my kitchen from the time i left for work till i came home for lunch. I did that so he would take him food with his medecine. He didnt. He was hiding in my oven drawer when i came home. He had gotten in it from behind it.
It sounds like he might be sick.  I know he's on meds for the diarreah, but maybe they are not working.  Cats often pee inappropriately when they are trying to tell you that they are unwell.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It hasn't happened since, and i'm still not sure if it was him or a visitor or a protest of being visited.
Anyway, he's being seen by a vet on Thursday.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A pre-update update; In half an hour, i will try to get Minou in a carrier for his vet appointment. I gave him a drug to calm him down, sold by my vet.
He sill has the runs so the vet wants to see him. She thinks it might be allergies but an exam and most likely a CBC will give clues.
As for the introductions, i have cut out holes in the cardboard at the bottom of the screen door so they could see each other a bit while playing whack-a-paw under the door. There was no reaction on both part, no hissing, so whacking, and they both took a bunch of treats. So they ate a foot apart while being in full view of each other. Very positive!
Minou now spends the nights inside in the kitchen. He doesn't make a peep...till about 5am. Which drives me nuts. He wants to go outside so bad that i let him.
Alright, fingers crossed i can get him into the carrier!

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my threads here was on how Joey was SO GOOD when I vetted him a month ago.  Joey wouldn't eat the food with sedative in it yet he was so calm he was eating treats and playing with a toy at the Vets.  This cat who won't let anyone but us near him at home.  Hope you have the same with Minou,  you just never can tell ahead of time what they will be like.  Hope the Vet can figure out what's up with his little body.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He takes the meds with tuna juice no problem. I wish i had tried tuna way before.
Hopefully he won<t need another sedative. It needs to be reversed before he leaves and all that costs 70$ (just for the sedative and antidote).
He got in the carrier with tuna juice. His butt was sticking out so i gave a little push and he wouldn't budge....cause he was busy eating! It didnt even phase him i was shoving him. I just closed the door and all is fine besides a little meowing. Leaving in 20. Can't wait for it to be done with.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And that reminds me i completely forgot to read your threads!

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All went well at the vet's without having to sedate him any further. He froze so that solved it.
I don't have the results for the CBC, but i should get them later tonight or tomorrow. She spoke of liver\pancreatic disease as a possible cause but also food allergies. I worry about the liver more though, as he ate Whiskas for 4 years before i started feeding him, and he still eats some at the neighbors. It's so fatty and salty it might have made him sick....

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Double crossed.
I didn't like when she said he is losing teeth cause of the FIV...I thought i was cause he must eat frozen foods in winter.
I really hope she calls back tonight.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Results are in! The blood tests show no damage to his organs though a little anemia suggests he passes blood through his stools. The vet bets on a chronic inflammation of the small intestine which should be helped with a treatment of cortisone. If that doesn't work, her second bet is food allergies in which case he will need a special diet.
This is kind of good news as it is easily treatable and cheap.
He ate 3\4 of a can of Go duck wet foot and is now passed out on the cat tree.