I let feral Minou inside. Need cat language translation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
24 hours after his lunch time runny poop, he finally had a firmer one! It was soft but formed. I hope this is the first of many future formed poops.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Minou doing? Have you considered establishing a Go Fund Me page?

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how he is. He eats well, but is back at producing 3-4 runny poops a day. I'm trying to see if it's the canned Z/d with it's corn starch that causes it by not giving him any today.
Fun fact; he hates the smell of me since i put new hair cream in my hair yesterday. Though i have washed my hands several times since then, he squints and runs away when i come near him...

I had put up a Go fund me page a month ago, but did not get much. It was embarrassing more than anything :\

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good that you posted one on the SOS forum so people can help out if they want to. I will visit there later. Minou is very lucky to have you in his life.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll start another thread in nutrition soon. It appears Minou is part if the 5% of cats that is intolerant of the Z/d diet...He is now on a diet of tuna and rice for 3 whole months. No treats... :(

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, people who read this.
I have just introduced Minou and Pixie. I had done so a couple weeks ago for about 5 minutes, but had not again till today as i was so focused on Minou's stools and nutrition. 
Minou is now on GO! duck recipe LID and Fortiflora for the past 4 days, and his stool have improved. Generally a  mix of formed stool and some soft ones, in that order. It still smells real bad, like vinegar, but never as bad as when he was on rice and tuna. He is till mostly an inside cat, though the past couple days he seems to be getting the itch to go roam more. I think he was getting depressed though he did not seem to want to leave the porch, but once he did and was gone for an hour, he was awful chipper upon his return.
So the intros went well i think. It lasted about 10 minutes and i started by making them chase their favorite toys (in different rooms) so they would release any pent up energy and reduce the risk of aggression.
Then they ate and rested a bit. I then gave them treats, both of them on each side of the screen door, then i opened the door. He came out to get an out of reach treat and i continued to flick treats at them. They are about a foot frm eachother, sometimes getting really close to get to a lost treat. One of them growled but idk which. Pixie layed on her side and played cute, so he relaxed and layed on his belly and yawned. He seems a bit tense, not moving much, but ate the treats. Pixie was more inclined to roam around and come get pets from me and play hockey with treats. He moved passe her and she hissed softly. They were both at each end of the hallway, staring at each other and i could tell Pixie was contemplating going to see him, and he looked annoyed and tense, so i took her, gave her plenty of kisses and praise, and put her in my room. He went back to the kitchen and layed under the table, and i could not get him to play. But then i left him alone for a couple minutes and he seemed less moody.
He is now locked in the kitchen and i let Pixie out so she would not stay in there too long after that encounter.
I worry about her being too lively for him. It seems to make him nervous and guarded. 
I plan on doing this exercise with them daily, slowly building up to more time being physically together.
I really hope this works out and there are no cats wounded or traumatized!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sounds like it went well.  Doing this every day is a good idea - it will gradually get them used to one another.

You are to be commended for your patience with this.  Both Pixie and Minou are lucky kitties.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is feeling better and hope he heals completely soon. It is good news that he is staying inside more and more. I'm sure he and pixie will learn to co-exist peacefully. Keep doing what you are doing, you are doing a great job!

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are to be commended for your patience with this.  Both Pixie and Minou are lucky kitties.
Thank you, at to all that agree with youb :)
I am a spinster, so i have lots of free time to fuss about cats :D
Today was not as good, as i ended up on Minou's side of the screen door, and Pixie would not take the treats i gave her through the holes, and she kept hissing at him and even growled (so it was her yesterday). So i put Minou back on the porch and took pixie back to the bedroom, making sure she didn't think i was angry or i was putting her there as punishement.
I planned on trying again, but i ended up napping for so long and then having to run errands and go to a class that i they haven't met again today. Or maybe i was just scared :\
I'll try again tomorrow when i have more time to make them hunt beforehand.
Pooping is good today too. It did not stink up the whole place.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi !
Minou is doing well. He is a bit nutty and very vocal today and yesterday, probably cause i left them for 24 hours to go to my sister's for Xmas. It seems to have affected him most. He was dandruffy and very affectionate when i came home.
He is currently playing whack a paw with Pixie under the door. I have not worked much on face to face introductions, party cause i have been preoccupied with something in my private life, partly cause i am scared. I still switch them often though, and he really loves being on my chest and head butting my face. He likes forehead kisses too.
He still eats Go duck recipe and is on week 3 of Fortiflora. His stools are not perfect yet, but i have noticed that cause he did not get canned food while i was away, his stools were quite firm. So maybe wet food is a problem for him, but i will try switching to Nature's Variety canned duck to see. I know it has less fruit in it. He is getting quite tubby though, and i try and feed him only 1\4 of a cup of kibble at a time, and small portions of canned (1\2 a can a day) mixed with water.
He scratches much less now.

But he is very vocal, even at night. I let him out when he wants to, but he never goes very far.

So in short, we're getting there :)

@MsAimee

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Minou update!
We are all doing well. Both him and Pixie have been living freely in the house for 3 months now. No more doors. Pixie often meows softly and hisses at him and slaps him when he comes back in from outside (bully), but ever the good cat he is, he just sits there and waits for her to be done with her little fit. He rarely slaps back.
Still does his rounds outside, and sometimes spends all day sleeping in. I blame that on the FIV. He is very affectionate, likes to get lots of kisses on his eyes and forehead, and likes sleeping with his big cheeks resting on my face. He is the best cat i have ever had.
Unfortunately, some outside the box peeing (still not sure if it's him or Pixie being insecure..) and a brown urine spot he left on my bed last week prompted me to have his urine tested. That was fun to collect! Anywho, the results came back today; no infection, but triple phosphore crystals. So my vet suggests giving him more canned food, a water fountain, and D/d kibble and cans. It's not specific for urinary tract maintenance, but she said all the Hills are designed to be good for UT. He could still be eating venison, him being allergic to poultry and fish and all. He had a bad reaction to Z/d months ago, which told me he might be allergic to corn. So i dont want to switch to D/d, as you can inmagine.
He is currently eating Natural Balance limited ingredients venison.
He has vomitted twice last week, large amounts of food (in...my...bed...) but who knows what he ate outside. He also had a violent diarrhea (in...my...bed...) after i gave him tuna juice and water on a hot day when he came back pancing from outside.
His teeth needs cleaning, and the vet gave me an estimate; 850$, not including extractions. Ouch...But his gums are red and he had bad breath, Already lost incisives due to what me vet thinks is the FIV virus. So i feel i must keep one step ahead of this nasty virus and maintain a good oral health as possible.
Feel free to comment and advise.
He is only 5 ans is already showing signs of health problems, but i would not trade him for any other cat :)

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear the uodate! I was wondering how he was doing. I advise you call around to get other estimates for teeth cleaning. Teeth extraction is expensive, but cleaning should cost less than half of what your vet quoted. Is there a way you could keep him indoors only, or does he love going outside too much to take that away from him? With the FIV status he would be less exposed to viruses he could pick up from other cats outdoors. Pixie smacks at him because when Minou comes inside from having been outside he smells differently from having been outside. My cat Harry does this to my cat Sonny after Sonny's been out for a walk on his lead with me. What I do to minimize this behavior is to give both of them a special food treat when Sonny returns from his walk. Then they are focused on the food instead each other. So glad to hear that they have adjusted so well to each other.