I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My time will be limited this morning - I have a contractor coming to checkout my house. My floors are sagging and tiles started lifting and cracking; I'm actually concerned about carpenter ants
Fingers crossed the contractor has an easy/inexpensive fix. :crossfingers:

You guys!!!
It's beautiful. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good boy. :petcat:

Not sure about the blood spots. The TCS article Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery says to watch for blood within the first 24 hours, so maybe check with your vet, just to ease your mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
YAAAAAY about the litter box!! Congratulations to you both!!! Keep the good news coming! I'll bet his loving ways will translate over to Charlie, too. My outside (now inside!) stray guy is SUPER affectionate with me, but also wants to lay down close to my other male cat, even wants to lick his head... the other cat is not sure about this yet, but I think he will eventually be won over!
Thank you, I really hope so!! I believe it will. Little dude is a lover and a biter, am hoping the biting doesn't translate over to Charlie. He bit me twice this morning quite hard, marks are still there, and I had to correct him. He got me on the neck once and got hold of my ear another time and wouldn't let go. I think they were affectionate love bites, but he has just not learned how hard is too hard. I am trusting that with prayer and socialization this will all work out.:redheartpump:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed the contractor has an easy/inexpensive fix. :crossfingers:
Thank you, me too!! I thought it was the contractor, it was a delivery. Still waiting...seeing some major damage cropping up - sagging floors, cracking tiles, cracked granite countertop, cracked wall. Foundation? Carpenter ants? Plumbing leak? :gaah:

I only say carpenter ants because when I was out playing with little dude last week I was bitten by an ant with wings and saw several of them around a new crack in my bricks steps outside! Googled it and it wasn't a termite.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually buy it on Amazon or Chewy. I would double the dosage ( per instructions on bottle) which was 1/2 t. at night right before bed. Then I would only give 1/4 t. during the day. The bottle lasts a really long time. My little guy needed it for about 5 months. I was able to taper off to once a day, but each new step(coming out of the room, meeting my other cat, loud noises,etc...) he needed to stay on the dosage.

https://www.chewy.com/vetriscience-composure-max-liquid/dp/48692

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH, I am so happy to catch up, and see that NewCat is finally home from surgery:dizzycat: and doing so well now! :happycat: Buffster7, Your heart must be so full of joy :petcat:and love now!!!!! So cute to read along, so happy for both of you! YAYyyy! WHOOooooooottt!!
:wavey::clap2::clap::clapcat:
I was so happy to read this, it is just so wonderful!!! YAYyyyyyyyy!!:catlove:
Also, so wonderful to see the help the other members bring to you, just wonderful !!!!:hellocomputer:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually buy it on Amazon or Chewy. I would double the dosage ( per instructions on bottle) which was 1/2 t. at night right before bed. Then I would only give 1/4 t. during the day. The bottle lasts a really long time. My little guy needed it for about 5 months. I was able to taper off to once a day, but each new step(coming out of the room, meeting my other cat, loud noises,etc...) he needed to stay on the dosage.

https://www.chewy.com/vetriscience-composure-max-liquid/dp/48692
Oh, this will be liquid gold when it comes time for he and Charlie to meet! Thank you for the link! I use Bach's Rescue Remedy for stressful situations, but it is suspended in alcohol. They say that a couple drops is safe for pets, but I don't like to use it for any length of time because of that; just not sure how hard even a few drops of alcohol would be on their system with regular use.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH, I am so happy to catch up, and see that NewCat is finally home from surgery:dizzycat: and doing so well now! :happycat: Buffster7, Your heart must be so full of joy :petcat:and love now!!!!! So cute to read along, so happy for both of you! YAYyyy! WHOOooooooottt!!
:wavey::clap2::clap::clapcat:
I was so happy to read this, it is just so wonderful!!! YAYyyyyyyyy!!:catlove:
Also, so wonderful to see the help the other members bring to you, just wonderful !!!!:hellocomputer:
Thanks so much! Yes, this group has been invaluable with support and information and shared experiences! Honestly have leaned on everyone pretty heavily. I guess I'm a lot like a cat in that I don't like change, so making changes in my household is very difficult for me (i.e. new dynamic with new cat and unknown impact etc). So glad I can pick your brains and run things by you - so thank you thank you!!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When he bites, say "owwww" in a high pitched tone, or hiss at him. That is how another cat would let him know he's hurting them.

Here's some more "light reading" for you as well. ;)

Cat Aggression Toward People
Why Do Cats Attack? | TheCatSite
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats | TheCatSite
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"? | TheCatSite

Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States (I know he's not a kitten, but might have some tips)
I will be going through those links again when I have time this week! He's such a biter. I haven't yet figured out if it's over-stimulation or if he just loses his head. The minute I come in the room he is alllllll over me (after he gets the obligatory hissing out of the way). So to not touch him is impossible: he is rolling on me, climbing on me, head butting me, face marking me, and it's non-stop. So maybe he's getting overstimulated and he doesn't even know it, but out of nowhere he just jumps at my face and bites. He normally gets my neck. I'll get it figured out. He is extremely affectionate and sweet - I need to hunt some pics on my camera roll from earlier and post them - he is stealing my heart.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So today was a really good day for this little guy. I think I'm going to call him Finnigan, Finn for short. I have been able to sit with him for long periods of time, and he eventually will settle down and go to sleep next to me.
I did see another tapeworm today, so I'll get some more worming meds from my vet tomorrow. I wonder how long it takes to get these out of their system?

The yowling has stopped. He patiently waits on the bed for me to come visit, it's where I find him every time I enter. He hisses up a storm when I walk in the room, but the minute I touch him he is more eager than a puppy - all wiggly and rolling on his back and crawling in my lap. And absolutely starving all the time.

I was really concerned about Charlie this morning. I noticed that he was acting mopey and depressed after I left Finn's room and started hiding.
I made sure I took a nap with him this afternoon and gave him lots of attention. Then I spent quite a long time in Finn's room this evening, probably close to 2 hours. I felt apprehensive when I left, expecting to have to coax Charlie out and reassure him. To my surprise, he was waiting right outside the door, nose to the baby gate, and actually seemed happy when I emerged. And not upset!! And when I left Finn's room, there was no yowling! I could not feel any more fortunate! Answered prayers, I tell ya. Will attach a few pics I snuck of this handsome teenager today:

Excuse the mess; I've got his blanket, his toy that purrs, and a shirt of mine I leave in there for scent. He is already learning how to chill:

This look is going to be trouble. Anything he wants, I tell ya.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh! He is investigating the massage table that blocks him from you? Not surprising. Those love bites can hurt! I have a cat that does it at bedtime! Ouch! He likes my chin and nose.:lol: I always scold him but he still does it if he really wants my attention. I’ve had others do it too but managed to stop them from continuing. I guess there is one in every Clowder. Curtail it if you can but since he is starving for affection it may take time. He certainly does look much improved. Did the blood spotting stop?
Ants? Ugh. I just went through that. Carpenter ants are nocturnal. Hunt them at night to find their paths. They often have multiple nests and they love damp areas. Leak litter too. I’ll try to send you a PM with some photos. It may help you to determine if that is what you saw and how to find them. Just because you saw one, it doesn't mean they are in your structure. You do need to find out though. Some pest control companies use a chemical that will eradicate them and termites at the same time. Non toxic to cats.
Glad you got some rest last night. I’m sure it was much needed by now. ;)

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ants? Ugh. I just went through that. Carpenter ants are nocturnal. Hunt them at night to find their paths. They often have multiple nests and they love damp areas. Leak litter too. I’ll try to send you a PM with some photos. It may help you to determine if that is what you saw and how to find them. Just because you saw one, it doesn't mean they are in your structure. You do need to find out though. Some pest control companies use a chemical that will eradicate them and termites at the same time. Non toxic to cats.
Interesting, I didn't know they were nocturnal! The contractor took a look today and did not see any ants. We did see some strange mud-looking stuff stuck to some of the structure, kind of like mud-dauber nests but in the crawl space! Contractor said the support beams under the house are sagging under the weight and are going to have to be reinforced. :cringe:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another question. Do they give antibiotics when they neuter the cats? I'm keeping an eye on the little one as his meow is so hoarse. Prior to taking him to be neutered, he did have very small, slightly green eye boogers. I notice when he head-bumps me, his nose is so wet it feels almost runny. Charlie's nose is generally dry, so I noticed Finn's wet nose. Even his meow sounds wet and raspy. He is also still pretty lethargic most of the time. All of these things I've just chalked up to stress of new environment, but. Should I be concerned about an upper respiratory issue, or do they give antibiotics following a neuter that should take care of it?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics are not necessarily given during neutering. Unless yoi told the vet about the green, probably not. Green discharge and runny nose might indicate a reason to give your vet a call. The little guy might not need anything but I would call before the weekend hits. My cats always decide to hurt a paw or feel bad on the weekend! Never fails that the time they chose is when the vet is closed! Then I freak out until I get the vet! Lol It’s just best to call them and report anything that seems different to you.

I just saw the other photos! Love love love them! Finn is looking very chill! He has found his place in the world. The news about Charlie is great too. Napping with Charlie and the extra attention will definitely help!

Ant litter around the window sill? That’s a place they do like to go. Just watch for them at night. The dir dauber looking stuff ..... was it like tunnels?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So today was a really good day for this little guy. I think I'm going to call him Finnigan, Finn for short.
I like it. :redheartpump:

The yowling has stopped. He patiently waits on the bed for me to come visit, it's where I find him every time I enter. He hisses up a storm when I walk in the room, but the minute I touch him he is more eager than a puppy - all wiggly and rolling on his back and crawling in my lap. And absolutely starving all the time.
So now that he has a name, here's one thing you can try, that I've seen suggested before. When you go to enter his room, before you open the door, call out "Finn, it's mommy (or whatever you plan to refer to yourself as)." or "Finn, want some dinner", or really anything at all. The idea is that by "announcing yourself", when he hears the door opening, he'll know what to expect.

Will attach a few pics I snuck of this handsome teenager today:
Oh, what a cutie pie. :purr:

This look is going to be trouble. Anything he wants, I tell ya.
Awwww... pawsitively precious. :petcat: :heartshape:

Oh, about his biting. When I first adopted my Ruby, she was totally food obsessed. And every morning she would wake me early looking for breakfast. And she'd be all lovey and hyper and "bitey". One morning she bit my finger a bit too hard, and broke the skin. I yelped out "owwwwwww", because a) it hurt, and b) it startled me. Well my yelp also startled Ruby, who scurried under the covers. :running: After that, she never bit that hard again, and eventually (mostly) outgrew the bitey-ness (I guess love bites), and now will stop if I say "owwww" or even "careful".

Last edited:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics are not necessarily given during neutering. Unless yoi told the vet about the green, probably not. Green discharge and runny nose might indicate a reason to give your vet a call. The little guy might not need anything but I would call before the weekend hits. My cats always decide to hurt a paw or feel bad on the weekend! Never fails that the time they chose is when the vet is closed! Then I freak out until I get the vet! Lol It’s just best to call them and report anything that seems different to you.

I just saw the other photos! Love love love them! Finn is looking very chill! He has found his place in the world. The news about Charlie is great too. Napping with Charlie and the extra attention will definitely help!

Ant litter around the window sill? That’s a place they do like to go. Just watch for them at night. The dir dauber looking stuff ..... was it like tunnels?
This is good to know - I just sent an email to the vet's office and will call when they open. My vet called last night and approved the de-wormer for his tapeworms, so I'll see about picking up antibiotics for a URI as will. Oh man, I hope they aren't too difficult to administer. I have no idea how this little one will react to being restrained and medicated by me.
And you are so right - when sickness strikes, it ALWAYS happens on a Friday right as the vet closes, doesn't it?? I also noticed that his eyes appeared a little red. I chalked it up to him laying in his litter. Now I read that it's also a sign of a URI. Poor thing!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So now that he has a name, here's one thing you can try, that I've seen suggested before. When you go to enter his room, before you open the door, call out "Finn, it's mommy (or whatever you plan to refer to yourself as)." or "Finn, want some dinner", or really anything at all. The idea is that by "announcing yourself", when he hears the door opening, he'll know what to expect.
This is such a great idea - thank you! You know it has to be scary being vulnerable in a strange environment and not knowing what awaits you on the other side of that door as it opens! No wonder he hisses at me. I will start announcing myself!
Oh, about his biting. When I first adopted my Ruby, she was totally food obsessed. And every morning she would wake me early looking for breakfast. And she'd be all lovey and hyper and "bitey". One morning she bit my finger a bit too hard, and broke the skin. I yelped out "owwwwwww", because a) it hurt, and b) it startled me. Well my yelp also startled Ruby, who scurried under the covers. :running: After that, she never bit that hard again, and eventually (mostly) outgrew the bitey-ness (I guess love bites), and now will stop if I say "owwww" or even "careful".
I keep thinking I'm going to do that next time he bites, and then it always catches me so by surprise that I give that same "uh-uh!!" that I did when he bit my ankle. I was going to try and hiss next time (speak his language type thing) but my immediate reaction is always the same. Charlie gives me love bites, but they never hurt. I think they're so sweet, he just nibbles my fingers or hands, usually when we are waking up from a nap. And never leaves marks like the one that's still on my neck this morning. Not bad, but if it were a lip or an eye it would hurt!

It's the lunging bite of this little guy that could be dangerous. He did learn to keep his claws in, which gives me hope that he's teachable. I played with his feet last night to test his tolerance and he allowed that, even. Then again, he isn't feeling well, so he may just not have the energy to resist me right now. ;)

Last edited:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Guys, I'm sitting in the room with Finn, and he just got into the litterbox, squatted, meowed, and got out. I understand this is a sign of a UTI? I hate to sound like an alarmist right after he gets home, "Oh no! He has worms!" "Oh no, looks like a URI!" "Uh-oh, a UTI!" but I AM watching him closely to seee how he heals. Does anyone have any experience with antibiotics and is there one that will address both a URI and a UTI at the same time?

I've cleaned pee balls out of his litterbox, so he IS going. I was just surprised to see him squat, meow, and then abort mission.