I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your well wishes!!

That went better than expected. I'm kind of shocked. When I went to get him, I expected to see the same terrified and traumatized kitty from Saturday. He was scared and at the back of his carrier when they gave him to me,

but when he saw me, he came to the front of the carrier and immediately laid down and reclined on one elbow like a boss! Nothing at all like the fragile little guy I saw on Saturday!

He was totally calm on the way home. I opened up his carrier in the cage and he refused to leave the carrier. I finally managed to lift him out of the carrier with great resistance on his part. He immediately snuggled right into my neck and started purring. This is beautiful but it also breaks my heart; this means he must have known love at some point? But what happened to make him so wild and so terrified at his young age?

He totally trusts me, and that amazes me. Here are some questions. I put him in his cage and he scarfed down his food laced with some Bach's Rescue Remedy. Now he is laying in his litter box. He thinks his litter box is his bed. I don't know what to do. I would let him out of the cage if he would use his litterbox, but since he obviously sleeps in the litterbox, I doubt he's going to use it. I have Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter in there. I don't have any potting soil - I guess I can make a run to town if you think it might work. I'm just afraid he will lay in the dirt, too.
Thoughts on the litter box issue?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you put that 2nd litter box in the room?
Wow he is doing so well!!!

My Walli pooped 1 time out of the litter box and I put that poo in the litter box
that's all it took! I sprinkled dirt on top of the Dr Elseys.
Cat's kind of get it, He just got home so I wouldn't worry he will figure it out.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you put that 2nd litter box in the room?
Wow he is doing so well!!!

My Walli pooped 1 time out of the litter box and I put that poo in the litter box
that's all it took! I sprinkled dirt on top of the Dr Elseys.
Cat's kind of get it, He just got home so I wouldn't worry he will figure it out.
I bleached and washed Charlie's spare litter box, then used enzymatic cleaner on it and set it out to dry before putting it in the room. He can't access that litter box, though, because I don't want to let him out of the cage til he uses the litter box in there in case he has an accident on the carpet. All of the supplies I ordered should arrive today - including the plastic floor covering and the baby gates. I really hope he can figure it out soon because I would love to let him out of the cage!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Next questions: I read somewhere that you should leave them alone most of the day when bringing them home so that they can acclimate to their surroundings.
1. Because he was so snuggly/needy, part of me wonders if I should sit with him? Or should I leave him alone?
2. Should I keep the shades open or closed for today?
3. Should I keep Charlie closed in my bedroom today to keep their scents as separate as possible? Or should I allow Charlie to move around the house?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would visit him every 1-2 hours. You don't have to stay long. He then knows you are there.

I would open the shades. If he would freak out seeing the window, you can close it.

I would allow Charlie to be out. He is resident kitty and you don't want him to feel punished. He will smell the new kitty anyway. Allow him to sniff at the doorway. If you see signs of hissing, tail swishing, etc... try to distract him with a toy or treat. Lots of extra special love for Charlie to assure him all is well.

You did it all so well!!!! This new kitty is going to fit right in. He loves you and you saved him!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree things seem to be going extremely smoothly!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I ran into town to Walmart to pick up some potting soil and supplies. I got all the way back home before realizing I forgot the potting soil! Ran back into town to get it; all they had left was Miracle Gro potting soil. I wasn't even thinking clearly and got all the way home before thinking, "Wait a second, does Miracle Gro have fertilizers in it?" (I am NOT a gardener) I'm googling it and they say it's non-toxic, but I want to verify before putting this in his litter. Anyone know?

I fed him when I got home a few hours ago. He still has not pooped/peed. He also seems to be very afraid of the upper shelves of the cage and stays on the ground. IN the litterbox. I put a blanket and a shirt of mine next to the litterbox and put him on it, but nope. He climbs back into the litterbox. How long do cats typically hold their urine/feces when they're stressed? And nobody seems to be concerned that he won't litter train - so there are not cats who refuse to litterbox train, that's not a thing? :headscratch:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it's rare, My Walli (very Feral) took to it right away
just the one incident.
Not sure about the Miracle Gro, you only need to sprinkle a little on the top
do you have any leaves you can put on top too? I didn't use the leaves.
I didn't have to do it for very long.
If you have the pee pads down and he pees on the pee pad, you can put a piece of that in the litter box and he will get the idea, or if you have to sop up some pee just put that in the box.
When I took my Walli to the vet (very stressful situation) she was sitting in the litter box for awhile when I got her back, we had to fumigate the house so she was in a large crate for 3 days!
Just take it step by step we will help you, wait for another reply but I would say he may be ready sooner than later to come out of the cage (on his own)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Wait a second, does Miracle Gro have fertilizers in it?"
It should say on the label if it has fertilizer. It would mention numbers, something like 10 10 10.

stays on the ground. IN the litterbox. I put a blanket and a shirt of mine next to the litterbox and put him on it, but nope. He climbs back into the litterbox.
Is there room in the cage for a another box, like a shoe box? I'm thinking the litter box just makes him feel safe.

How long do cats typically hold their urine/feces when they're stressed?
That's common when in a new environment. He was at the vet since Friday, so he would have had to peed/pooped at some point, I would hope. Maybe call them, and ask if he used the litter box.

And nobody seems to be concerned that he won't litter train - so there are not cats who refuse to litterbox train, that's not a thing? :headscratch:
Cats instinctively want to dig and bury their waste, so most take to litter boxes quickly. So don't worry yet.

Some, however, won't poop in the same litter box they pee in, so a 2nd litter box is sometimes necessary.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you are at with leaving him in, but wondering if opening his cage before you go to bed so he can come out on his own? I think you may need your gates up 1st? not sure.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He was at the vet since Friday, so he would have had to peed/pooped at some point, I would hope. Maybe call them, and ask if he used the litter box.
I asked the vet on Saturday if he did not know how to use his litter box since he was sitting in liquid, which I assumed was urine. The vet said he might not know, that he found urine and feces in his blankets.

Is there room in the cage for a another box, like a shoe box? I'm thinking the litter box just makes him feel safe.
There's no room in the cage for another box, sadly. Maybe a small one, but his carrier wouldn't fit in there. I just went in to feed him dinner. He just wants to be loved. He crawls into my arms and buries his head in the crook of my elbow or my neck. I laid back on the bed with him, and he buried his face in my neck. He is purring but he is also shivering. It's warm in his room, so is the shivering anxiety most likely? He still hisses at me when I approach his cage, so I'm thinking it's either anxiety or pain?

I didn't have the heart to put him back in his cage. I've covered the floor with potty pads, I put his carrier on the floor next to the cage with my shirt in it so he can retreat there if he wants to. I just pray he doesn't pee somewhere I can't find it.

When we first arrived home from the vet, he refused to come out of his carrier. I had to pull him out; perfect opportunity for him to use his claws. He didn't. At one point he kind of swatted at my hand, but claws in. Just a really, really good boy.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you are at with leaving him in, but wondering if opening his cage before you go to bed so he can come out on his own? I think you may need your gates up 1st? not sure.
Yes, I just opened his cage. Didn't have the heart to keep him in any longer. Baby gates haven't arrived yet, so I am blocking the door with a massage bed for now. I might need to put Charlie in my room before I enter next time, as I don't. know how this little one is going to act - whether he will try to dart out or not. I'm taking my phone in next time so I can take pictures for you guys of how incredibly sweet and loving he is. He is all hissy when you approach him and shrinks back from hands, but the minute I lift him up he goes limp, and then presses into my hands or body and starts to purr. He's breaking my heart with his sweetness.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in on you all. :heartshape:Your post showed up after I wrote that. The shivering probably is nerves. Poor little guy. He is so happy to have you for love and security. He’ll calm down. Just keep doing what you are doing. Loving him will work wonders. He already trusts and loves you so he’ll be okay. He’ll probably regain his composure very soon. If the shivering continues, jus try putting a towel or something around him as you hold him. He’ll be likely to feel safe and stop shivering. Kind of like swaddling a baby can make them feel secure. I can certainly see how he stole a piece of your heart. Very , very glad he is home!

Last edited:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, at dinner I fed Charlie first, then Charlie saw me enter the room with another bowl of food in my hand. He had to have heard the little one meowing in there and he was scratching at the door. I had to push him back away from the door when I came out. Charlie followed me, all nose and sniffs. I pulled my shirt off and dropped it into the washer on my way back to the kitchen (no sense rubbing salt in the wound) and washed my hands, but he had to have still smelled the little one on my arms. He sniffed intently and has now settled down beside me, unperturbed. I am floored. Answered prayers!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just checking in on you all. :heartshape:
Aww, thank you for checkin in on us! Things are going well so far, very well! Just a little concerned about litter box. He thinks his is a bed. I've let him out of his cage and left him on the bed in the room because Charlie was trying to get in and he can easily reach the door handle; I was afraid he was going to try to enter. Kitty was still on the bed when I slipped out. I'm praying he uses a litter box!!

Oh shoot. I forgot to pull the shades. They are halfway down, and they have tassels...
Well, double shoot. I left the potting soil in there, too. :doh:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... he sounds like such a sweetie pie.

About the litter box, can try putting him in it, and digging his paw in the litter, and saying "do you have to go pee pee?" And if he does do something on the puppy pad, just put that in the litter box, and show him.

I am a little concerned about your bed though. Do you have something protective covering it?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a former feral boy who routinely sits in one of the litter boxes when he is afraid. I have not found a way to stop him!

I believe he will go potty at some point. Hopefully in the litter box, but if not just sop up the urine or poop and bury it. I am certain it will not take him long to get the hang of it.

I would take all of the bedding off the bed and cover with a tarp. I have also used a shower curtain liner.

Just remember that this too shall pass.... he will soon be using the litter box like a champ.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a little concerned about your bed though. Do you have something protective covering it?
I would take all of the bedding off the bed and cover with a tarp. I have also used a shower curtain liner.

Just remember that this too shall pass.... he will soon be using the litter box like a champ.
Hi, and thank you for your responses, ladies! Yes, I had stripped the bed and placed a shower curtain liner over it, then covered that with a blanket. I would love for him not to pee on the blanket, but we shall see.

I went back in there to retrieve the potting soil, and there was one tiny square of floor in the corner of the room where the nightstand cornered with the cage, and I couldn't reach it to place a potty pad there. He reached it, and that's where he's staying, and he hisses at me when I come close. I can move the cage but I don't want to terrify him so will leave him there for now, but I can see why you said to block off under the bed!

I left his carrier with the front grate off in case he wants to take refuge there. I left it on the floor by the cage since he's spent most of his time cowering on the floor. Should I leave it there, or put it on the bed? Sigh. I'm afraid I may be a little high-maintenance for a few days, so many questions and I just don't want to screw anything up or have any big setbacks.