I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Protecting the bed is a good idea. For long term, I have plastics covers that you slide the whole mattress into and zip shut at the bottom. I love those things. I first bought a thin one but since a claw pierced it almost immediately when a cat jumped up, I went back and got the heavy duty ones. They have lasted very well. Unless I have company coming, I tend to keep the bed linens off in rooms I don’t use for humans. That plastic covers are easy to wipe down to clean.

Most of my rescues retreated to the litter box at first. It’s like being outside or carries their scent. This too will probably pass. Do get your shade tassels out of reach. Especially if long cords. Cats get tangled.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just leave everything on the floor. Right now you really don't want him on the bed.

Be sure you keep his food/water away from the litter box. Cats don't like to eat where they pee/poop.

Hissing is normal right now. Maybe tomorrow just go into the room and spend some time with him. Just sit on the floor ( you don't want to loom over him) and talk softly. You can bring him something yummy to eat too. He can learn to associate you with something really good. Try plain cooked chicken or bits of canned tuna. This will often win their heart. If he doesn't eat it while you are there, just put it in his food bowl.

He will need some time to adjust and calm down. But do start visiting often for short periods of time. He needs to know you are his friend. I used to just sit in the room and talk aloud or read aloud from a book. I did this almost every hour for 5-10 minutes. It really go my cat used to me coming in and out. I also would place the plain cooked chicken in a baggie and shake it each visit. He looked forward to the treat in the bag!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my two outside cats did pee on the rug that was under the litter box a few hours after I brought them inside. I didn't see another pee or poop until I went into their room early the next day so it happened overnight. They have used the litter boxes faithfully ever since. I understand your worry, but I'll bet your kitty will use the litter box just fine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just leave everything on the floor. Right now you really don't want him on the bed.

Be sure you keep his food/water away from the litter box. Cats don't like to eat where they pee/poop.

Hissing is normal right now. Maybe tomorrow just go into the room and spend some time with him. Just sit on the floor ( you don't want to loom over him) and talk softly. You can bring him something yummy to eat too. He can learn to associate you with something really good. Try plain cooked chicken or bits of canned tuna. This will often win their heart. If he doesn't eat it while you are there, just put it in his food bowl.

He will need some time to adjust and calm down. But do start visiting often for short periods of time. He needs to know you are his friend. I used to just sit in the room and talk aloud or read aloud from a book. I did this almost every hour for 5-10 minutes. It really go my cat used to me coming in and out. I also would place the plain cooked chicken in a baggie and shake it each visit. He looked forward to the treat in the bag!
That is great advice - thank you!
I went in to check on him before I turned the lights out. It took quite a while of my laying on the floor and talking to myself for him to come out. Probably a good 15-20 mins. He finally came out and aggressively loved on me.

By aggressive I mean he takes almost a running headbutt, and he hits hard! It's very cute but it also makes me a little nervous because I don't know him yet, don't know where his stimulation limits are, and don't know if he's wild enough to do an about-face and attack. He did give me a love bite and it was not aggressive at all, but it was hard. We will get to know each other and our boundaries.

I did try to put him in the spare litter box and he cowered and acted like I hit him. It wrenched me! Where is this fear from? I laid down on the bed with him and gave him some extra snuggles before I left him for the night. Poor guy is starving for affection.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my two outside cats did pee on the rug that was under the litter box a few hours after I brought them inside. I didn't see another pee or poop until I went into their room early the next day so it happened overnight. They have used the litter boxes faithfully ever since. I understand your worry, but I'll bet your kitty will use the litter box just fine!
Oh, I sure hope so! He hasn't made any wee or poo today at all, so surely by tomorrow he should produce something. I just hope I can find it!! I'm starting to think I should just collapse his cage and get it out of there. I was hoping it would be his "safe place" but I think it just scares him. I'm hoping this guy does like yours and figures it out easily. Oh please oh please oh please figure out your litter box, little dude...

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of my rescues retreated to the litter box at first. It’s like being outside or carries their scent. This too will probably pass. Do get your shade tassels out of reach. Especially if long cords. Cats get tangled.
It's so encouraging to hear that this is normal!! (litterbox retreat)

I also cannot believe Charlie is being this chill about it! I came out from spending a lengthy time with the new kitty, and Charlie had to have heard all the meowing. Still, he just wanted to smell me and then followed me to the bedroom, absolutely unfazed! Is he high on all the Comfort Zone plug-ins I've added or what? :lol:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't place him in the litter box. That never seems to work. He will go when he needs to. It may not be in the box right now, but he will soon. It's completely all normal right now.

I just love love love the pictures. He definitely is meant to be with you!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol Maybe he is! Some cats just choose to accept others specifically. You can still have a bit of a shift as things move along but this is awesome! I think Charlie bonded with this little guy through the windows and doors. Sometimes they worry about those they see who are at risk or confined. I’ve had caged kitties in my main living area. Sometimes the other cats worried about them being caged and tried to let them out! :angrycat: Let my cat friend go free! It helped to form a bind and when the kitties were cleared to leave the cage, the others immediately washed and nuzzled them. That made my job much easier sometimes! Others did have to be integrated slowly but we all got there in time.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I made a mistake. Charlie and I both heard a big THUMP coming from the room, so I thought I had better investigate. I brought a nightlight to plug into the wall in that room, too.

Well, the kitty was way more brave and came right out this time. I pulled a blanket out of his cage and laid it out, and he started making biscuits. But when I turned the light out to leave, he got really upset and started howling and scratching under the door. This upset Charlie. Hissing from him. Little kitty is yowling and crying non-stop now; I can hear him from across the house. What exactly did I do wrong, I wonder, so I don't do it again?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He wants you. Plain and simple. It’s like babysitting a toddler in a new place. They want to sleep with you. Sorry but that’s the easy solution. Can you sleep in the guest room tonight? You did nothing wrong. He probably would have started doing that at some point anyway. Things are just new and lonesome for him and he just went through a scary time in a vet cage. A little reassurance will go a very long way. Charlie probably hissed because the cries are upsetting to him too. I suggest you give Charlie some snuggles and then extra food treats right before bed. Immediately after giving the food, go to bed with the Little guy. Even if it’s just kind of camping out with him. It’s very likely to ease his fear and go a long way towards settling him.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He wants you. Plain and simple. It’s like babysitting a toddler in a new place. They want to sleep with you. Sorry but that’s the easy solution. Can you sleep in the guest room tonight? You did nothing wrong. He probably would have started doing that at some point anyway. Things are just new and lonesome for him and he just went through a scary time in a vet cage. A little reassurance will go a very long way. Charlie probably hissed because the cries are upsetting to him too. I suggest you give Charlie some snuggles and then extra food treats right before bed. Immediately after giving the food, go to bed with the Little guy. Even if it’s just kind of camping out with him. It’s very likely to ease his fear and go a long way towards settling him.
Aww, I must have gone to bed last night prior to this post.
I slept in my own bed with Charlie last night, thinking that as he had just become truly aware of another cat in his domain for the first time, he should have reassurance that he was still mine. Little guy did eventually quiet down.

He started up again this morning after I fed him. Charlie vacillates between been totally calm and chill (I'll attach video of him being chill) and then hissing at the door and under the door. (Baby gates haven't arrived so for now I have a massage table propped against the door) This morning we've had both scenarios going on:
Amazon Photos

My time will be limited this morning - I have a contractor coming to checkout my house. My floors are sagging and tiles started lifting and cracking; I'm actually concerned about carpenter ants and read you have some experience with these buggers! Once the contractor leaves I will be able to spend some quality time with him. I can't say it enough - how much I appreciate you guys.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope things settled down, and that everyone (human and feline) are having/had a peaceful night. :lovecat:
Thank you so much! I think we actually all had a good night last night once things quieted down! Still waiting on litterbox action. I need to examine every pee pad to see if I can find anything. I dreamed about his litterbox last night! :lol:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea!!!! He went potty!!! He did it.!!!

The yowling and howling is normal. First off, his hormones are still functioning. It may take 3 weeks or so to finally settle. The first little guy I brought inside howled all night for about 5 nights. I started giving him Composure calming treats and this helped at night. The treats are kind of hard so it was hard to get him to eat the doubled dosage needed. I then switched to Composure liquid max and added it to wet food day and night. This really helped him to calm down.

The howling and yowling will get better.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my word, he is so sweet. I spent some good time with him this morning and the yowling quieted down after that. Lots and lots of lovies given and received. He is STARVING for love. Lots of biscuit making. Found a little blood smear on his blankets. Normal for oozing after a neuter?

Managed to get a few cute pics and vids I'll post later. Contractor is here. xo

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YAAAAAY about the litter box!! Congratulations to you both!!! Keep the good news coming! I'll bet his loving ways will translate over to Charlie, too. My outside (now inside!) stray guy is SUPER affectionate with me, but also wants to lay down close to my other male cat, even wants to lick his head... the other cat is not sure about this yet, but I think he will eventually be won over!