I Got My Feral In The House Today!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Does the tree have a "hidey-hole" in it somewhere? I read someplace here that is what the ferals will go for. Maybe try crushing catnip in your hands, then rubbing it on the various surfaces of the tree. I guess it might be time to relocate it too..?
Walli won't eat freeze-dried salmon or chicken treats?
I should make a little tent by draping a blanket over one of the chairs. Maybe she'll stay out then, instead of being under the desk/partway under the radiator. Little Bonnie (8mo kitten from my avatar) noses around under the desk and gets hissed at. Oh well. She's pretty fearless so is unfazed.
I'll get a new Neko Flies and see how Miss Aimee does with it. Thanks for the idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Aimee is coming out soon!
I wish you could come over and have a nap with Walli :lol:
I haven't tried dried salmon, I shall.
I think Walli is a special case, I do think that she doesn't miss the Cat fights etc..
so I'm ok for now, I'm going to move the Cat Tree (I think) and yes it has 2 cubby holes. It's awesome
if I was a cat I would be all over it!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't notice it till today, but Walli has been using the corner of my leather couch
for a scratching post, she has a scratching bench thingy and her cat tree that has scratch posts.
What do I do?
Should I put a piece of wood out?
sheesh Walli!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Did you buy her the infinity scratch lounger yet? It's $50 but they last forever and look cool. All our monsters love them.
Ps I buy tons of cat stuff "open box" from Amazon warehouse deals section. Stuff is typically like new, just had been returned.
I saw Miss Aimee last night! She stared at me. She is so beautiful and a pretty big cat..guessing 12# or so.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh... Walli... mustn't scratch the sofa. :( I'd offer suggestions, but my Ruby has many different scratching thingies, yet still on occasion will get an urge to scratch the top of my sofa. :sigh:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walli, you mentioned a window catio. Will try to insert pic. I ordered a window insert with cat door from Amazon. Then built a two story cat pen for ours to go out during the day. You can close/lock the window cat door at night if you wish. Any questions let me know. Cost was around $30 for window and about $100 for the dual cat house

Sorry you’ll have to turn on it’s side to view. Love this forum but using pics is awful! You see doors to outside for cleaning. I also built an opening and stairs in back so they can use both top and bottom. Fur guys love it for sun fun with safety. Yes, they are very spoiled. I have 4 rescues in the house. The other 3 live in the connected garage and they have a similar structure (3 story) leading out of the garage. BTW you can see all this from the road...all the relatives say it looks like “peter tumble downs” place...that’s a joke but you have to be old to appreciate it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruby: :lol: "Oh Walli" agreed, first thing she did that is a problem, I went and bought a cardboard scratcher.
House of Nine: I will get the Lounger when I can, I'm worried she won't use it, if she uses the cardboard I will.
This Feral is worth some bucks let me tell you!
Trudy: Yes! I have her Catio out back, she lived in it for about a year, I think I need to put it next to the window sooner than later, I think she needs it now! I don't know how old she is but my socializing is taking longer than everybody else's Feral. I bought my Catio, but the Homemade ones look much stronger, and more space.
You guys have so much energy, I hope it is contagious!
Yeah I love this Forum too, I feel like I have new friends!:)
Weird, I don't really talk too much about the Feral situation, some people can't relate.
Thankfully my family does!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that was a 100$ that looks homemade, I was thinking about buying a window catio
but realized I already have a catio-duh! I can put it by the window. Mine cost a lot, but I like yours.
Thanks for the Window insert info, I may have questions later!!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Walli's mom: you are the BEST! Such enthusiasm--contagious! Hubs and I love our kitties so much, esp the ferals that have eventually come to love us. The other Feral Folks on this site are so helpful..makes us feel less crazy, eh? LOL

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol: yeah I do feel less crazy!
woo hoo! :hyper: I tossed Walli some treats under the end table and she ate them while I was there!!!
The first one got me a hiss, but she let me give her a few treats hee hee.

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Walli...We talked before on a thread I started about trapping a feral. I am in the same boat as you...He seems to be really feral and taking much longer than most. He has been inside since 1/2/18 I have made some progress with him..He will play a very little with me and he lets us "pet" him with the wand of a toy, some times it seems that he likes it and some times it seems that he is just tolerating us because he is very shy and uncomfortable. But I know that he doesn't do anything when we are not there. plus he is in an empty house that I grew up in that we have to sell so I have to go visit him 4 times a day otherwise there is no one there at all. I think I have tried everything. And he biggest problem is that I can't even keep him...I was hoping he would socialize easy and then find a home for him....but how will I ever find someone to take a cat like him (although he is very handsome and seems like he would be sweet) Anyway just thought I would say Hi and see how you are doing with your kitty. I won't give up but I think he might be happier outside. ??

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:lol: yeah I do feel less crazy!
woo hoo! :hyper: I tossed Walli some treats under the end table and she ate them while I was there!!!
The first one got me a hiss, but she let me give her a few treats hee hee.
Hi! Miss Aimee has changed hiding spots. Now she's under the dresser, which is closer to the door/more out in the room. Baby steps.
Happy Valentine's Day to all you Feral Mommies and Daddies out there.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aimee is making progress!

Hi Labmom! your kitty is ahead of mine, I can't play with her yet, and definitely no wand toy pets.
can you put a cat tree in the empty house and a bunch of toys? Walli plays when we are sleeping
my house is disaster with cat toys everywhere. I leave the back door open for her (we have a security screen)
so she can get some air, I noticed she plays when it's open and sometimes she doesn't if it is closed, weird.
Your kitty may be lonely by himself, can you spend the night with him?, Houseofnine suggests sleeping around the kitty and they seem to get curious, I feel for your situation, Our hearts make us figure out some hard stuff!
I wouldn't rule out someone else taking him in if you can find somebody.

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Walli, So I was able to touch him with a bare hand (very quickly) last night on his front paw and then today I touched him on the head while he was eating. So I think that is progress....but what to do with him is the question....and I am getting attached to him so it actually breaks my heart!!
So he will play with me but it is few and far between and it takes a lot of warming up and some cat nip. but other than that he doesn't do anything at all when we are not with him There are toys all over the room but he really doesn't play...maybe doesn't know how. So I would stay the night with him....but it truly is an empty house...there is nothing in it because we have to sell it in the spring. I know he must be so lonely.... but it is better than outside in the windy snow tonight. I think I am going to give him run of the whole house over the weekend....I just can't keep him locked up in a small room any longer...it just makes me feel horrible. Its the balance between giving him a life indoors or letting him fend for himself outdoors...which is better...ugh
You are doing great with your little girl...she will come around, it's just on their time. We rescued a feral pregnant cat last spring...she was scared to death but then she had her babies and I never touched them until they were about 6 weeks old....anyway she is the sweetest cuddle bug...I would have never believed it could happen...but it does..and her little kitten we kept also...and he is into everything.
I hope I can find someone ...maybe I will start calling rescue groups and over the next couple weeks maybe will make more progress. I just don't know if i will find someone who will take a cat like this...

Good luck!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Letting him have the run of the house might be a great idea!
If you have snow, definitely keep him in. I live in San Diego so Not letting her back out was a tough decision.
I think she will come around, she has full run of the house when were sleeping, except the bedroom:lol:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Lab Mom! How is it going? Did he like having the run of the house?
I was checking out breeds of cats, I haven't been able to get a good picture of Walli but she is a Mackerel Tabby.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got a pic of Walli today, is she a Mackeral Tabby? anyway to tell how old she is?
She doesn't look very happy, but hopefully I can get a happy pic of her some day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... she's a beauty! She looks pretty happy, actually, all snuggled there in her blankees. :catlove:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:) Thanks! she has the cutest white toes, it's white only on the tippy tips of her toes

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww, baby girl! She looks pretty calm, really. =)
Aimee was hissing today. Oh well...she DID come out last Friday when Hubs was working in his office. Kinda sat there & started at him while he talked to her. He rolled a toy toward her and then she went & hid.
We figure she is starting to get bored and will come out more since she's realizing we're not fattening her up for Thanksgiving dinner.