I Got My Feral In The House Today!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's only been 3 days, so I think you and Walli are doing great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is the 1st day we are home during the day, she is hiding under the bed in her room
I think we will figure a way to close off the bed in the next couple days or so.
It's the guilt that gets you, I know she is confused and wants to go out.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry cats are masters of creating guilt! When that soft purring sound gives way to that continuous howl it’s designed to make you think “what have I done to this baby?”, or “what can mommy do for you to make it go away?”.

Next time you’re in Walmart and you watch that two year old throw a fit you can hear from six isles over and say what terrible parents must they be just squint a little and picture a cat instead.

So don’t feel that guilt... we’ve all gone through it only to say yes and find her/him curled up asleep two minutes later after your training lesson is over.

You’re doing great

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw shucks, thanks so much trudy
and thanks rubysmama I will read through both those articles

My husband and I think of things were doing wrong, and then I say It's only been 3 days hee hee.
I think I would be flipping out if it wasn't for you guys. I may try and get her a cat tree today.
They are super expensive at PetCo so I will try and look elsewhere.
Thanks Pals!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok Setback. I now know how important it is to have the bottom of the bed covered so that can't go under.
I tried covering the bottom of the bed which made her so upset, It's like were starting over Todays is day 5
but It's more like day 1, If anyone is doing this make sure they don't have a place to hide.
So my question is how do you successfully close the bottom of the bed? We are going to get some wood
but maybe there is an easier way?

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok Setback. I now know how important it is to have the bottom of the bed covered so that can't go under.
I tried covering the bottom of the bed which made her so upset, It's like were starting over Todays is day 5
but It's more like day 1, If anyone is doing this make sure they don't have a place to hide.
So my question is how do you successfully close the bottom of the bed? We are going to get some wood
but maybe there is an easier way?
Hi Walli,
I have tried putting a bunch of cardboard boxes/plastic blanket boxes under there. Not sure this would really work too well though. Our feral isn't in a bedroom, but we roll up big towels so she can't cram herself under the radiator. She's still kinda hating us. I got scratched today for holding out a treat. =(

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat tree? Be sure to look at Chewy, that’s where I buy all mine. Great prices and quick delivery. I usually like to shop locally but the price difference is just to great.
Sometimes used ones on Craigslist but be sure to meet at Walmart lot or take someone with you. Please be careful but you can find a bargain.

Patience, remember it may seem like a lifetime but only 5 ? Days!

Hang in there mom. We are all watching your progress and are with you in spirit, at least!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your encouragement, I sure need it right now, I was very discouraged this morning
you guys are my lifeline right now.
Houseofnine Boxes are a really good idea!
Trudy I ordered a CatTree at Chewys waaaay cheaper than Petco.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad Chewy worked out for you, not campaigning for them but they are great people and really quick delivery!

That’s what makes this forum so great compared to others I’ve been on. No belittling, no sarcasm, just caring and at times prayer and real tears!

Keep the updates coming since none of us can be there in person to take away some of your burden but we do know.....

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I sure could use the prayers!
I think I will get some storage boxes, maybe I can put some of my junk in there too!
Didn't realize there was an entire thread on it:)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to block under the bed again (with sturdier material) I will put up the Cat Tree at the same time.
Right now she hides under the bed but has free roam of the house when we are in our bedroom sleeping and when we are at work. I'm thinking I should close her in the room for awhile.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why confine her? Is she doing bad cat stuff?

Hang in there mom....we are all with you on this and want a good outcome for you both!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I blocked under the bed, she bolted out of there into a different bedroom
and I don't know how, but she managed to get under a night stand you wouldn't think she could fit.
just want to keep her in the room for a day or so, just till she calms down.
I will put together the cat tree, block the bed on Sunday. I called my Vet they said they would see her
but hearing what labmom went thru, I may try and find a vet that has specific experience with Ferals.
This cat is on the Forefront of my mind right now, It's like I don't think about much else.
I think she's like labmom's Feral she is not aggressive but shy. she will hiss but I don't think she's an attacker.
I can tell she plays when I'm not home and at night.

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah lots to learn.
May God bless you, Walli for taking in this little creature! I have learned with socializing a feral, it's 2 steps forward 1.5 steps back. I have learned to measure in months rather than days or weeks. Little Mouser (pictured) is a very submissive, scared female who was TNR, apparently, at a very young age. It took me months to capture her (finally when the temperatures outside were about to go single-digit). Then she had to undergo being at the vet's to get vaccinated, de-wormed and de-flea'd. Then I brought her home to live in a kennel for a few weeks, gradually opening my sections of my little apartment to her.

Now the kennel is gone and Mouser roams the apartment except for my bedroom which is off-limits until she can handle more change. She sleeps in her kitty-bed, uses the litterbox and eats/drinks. But she is still so skittish. Will mark me, but I cannot initiate touch. She purrs, she will get close to me by about 1 foot and sleep there. She does not play, she does not jump onto things and apparently has no catnip receptors. She does not scratch anything. Some days it is frustrating with all the worry about her limitations.

All we have is time and love. Nothing cures like time and love. Let the kitty lead you.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouser is so cute! I know I just want to give Walli love! I'm putting the Cat Tree together today
It is a nice one! I hope she loves it. I live In San Diego, It was a lot keeping her out of the rain
but you guys that live in cold weather, I give you props!
I will post a pic of her when she gets on her cat tree, she looks like other Ferals I've seen on this site.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got the Cat Tree Up and the Bed Blocked, It's like it's day 1 again.
She is sitting in the window which is a window with a shelf, it is level with the bed so she can't really hide,
she just thinks she is. I really want her to get on the cat tree, It has many levels and is 80" tall.
I sprayed it with Feliway. I am going to keep her locked in the room tonite.
But I'm thinking I'm going to open the door while I'm at work tomorrow, she has had the run of the house
at night and while we are at work. Any tips on getting her on the Cat Tree and should I keep her locked in the room for awhile? I'm thinking not but what do I know:lol: