How Can I Block Cats From Going Under The Bed?

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here so I'm sorry if this should have been in a different part of the forum.

I'm a foster mamma, and sometimes I have to use my guest room to home kitties who can't be in the foster room for whatever reason. Shy cats love to hide under the guest bed, which of course isn't a good thing for them. I have having the hardest time blocking them out! Right now I have a combination of cardboard, plexiglass, gorilla tape, pillows, and blankets. The two tricksters I have in the room now burrow through whatever configuration I try. Does anyone have any idea of a good way to block off the underside of a bed? Anything that can be purchased at Lowes perhaps? Thanks for your help!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been collecting the corregated plastic signs to make things out of (yard and political signs). You can punch holes in them and use zip ties to connect them. If you collected a bunch of those you could cut them down to the right size and make a fence to keep them out. The only other thing I can think of, is if you own a lot of books. Stacks of books might be heavy enough to keep them out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used books to block off under the recliner. But you would need an awful lot of books to block off a bed. What about breaking up a huge box and using the cardboard to go all the way around the bed?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw something else that I think would work, but it would cost some money. You could buy some of those cube wire shelves, or even the longer wire shelving and zip tie them together. Here is a video where they used it to make a play pen.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is just a guest bed & you have more foster kitties than you have guests in the house, I would simply remove the bed frame, store it, and set the box springs and/or mattress directly on the floor. This would remove the hiding place entirely.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I was also going to suggest removing the bed frame. Or get some long pieces of plywood. You can get that at lowes

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying to block the space under the bed too as Huxley would spend way too much time under there if I let him. He has a bed at the end of my walk in closet, a cat condo box in his tree, and I let him hide behind the tv stands when guests are here or he needs some alone time. I have several pillows, clothes, boxes and stuff under the bed, but he is a persistent guy and once in a while manages to pull something out from under there and manages to make it in, though he cannot come out! I am looking into getting some under bed storage boxes/ big bags to put under there. Kills 2 birds with one stone as I could do with more storage anyway! You can find them on amazon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I want to prevent fosters from going under the bed is 1) many of them need meds and I have to reach them, and 2)hiding doesn't help with socializing. I have plenty of other cubbies for them to chill. Under the bed is a bad idea.

I've tried cardboard boxes in combo with strips of plexigass taped together, in combo with pillows and blankets, but the persistent ones find a way to burrow between the bed and wall and find a nook to break into. I was hoping someone had a solution that involved a material i could buy at Lowe's and wrap around the base of the bed, but that still leaves me with the problem of them getting behind the headboard and the wall. i like to keep the bed intact and in the guest room because not only do I have guests occasionally, but I like to sleep with the fosters in that room a couple of nights a week. I've had a load of back surgeries so getting in and out of a boxspring on the floor is not an easy thing for me.

I'll keep trying! Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also removed the head board. One of The Cat From Hell show the husband hammered in. I think, wood like the wood at the bottom of my cabinets. It looks like it was glued on. Unfortunately that would mean damaging your bed!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a bed for her that she chooses to sleep on instead of under the blinds! It's on my bed.
20170727_003616.jpg

Mary Ann P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IF you have a Tractor Supply Store or perhaps Home Depot you could try buying some chicken wire are cut to the right height wrap it around the whole bed. Then cover it with a bed skirt. It might work.