I Got My Feral In The House Today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 days now since the bed has been blocked now she started hiding under the blanket on the bed
she hasn't gone on the cat tree at all, she still plays while we are sleeping,
she eats only when we leave for work in the morning since the we blocked the bed
she does eat her dinner but i have to close her door to her room
I still give her the run of the house which she only comes out when were not around.
I feel really guilty, and wondering if I'm not doing enough she's been inside for 2 weeks, bed blocked since sunday
I'm willing to go the distance, but wondering How long I should let her suffer? I feel like a prison Warden.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Walli!
She will be fine! Don't worry. It is easy to second guess, but so many people here have said that it takes cats a long time to adjust. Or, It seems like a long time to us, but to the kitties it isn't really that long.
I have had a couple of minor wins with Aimee this week. She's graduated from not always hiding under the radiator to sitting on a fuzzy blanket on a chair, out in the open. We're not in the room, but I see her jump down when I come in. Hubs works in his office (Aimee's room) most of the day, and he saw her slink out and go into the bathroom to eat her kibble snack. Minor improvements but I am hopeful. We've socialized two adult ferals and seven kittens over the years.
You are not making her suffer--she is safe and warm and loved. =)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! just helps to talk about it.
How long has Aimee been in the house?
I forgot to mention I cut back on her food today, just canned food today. I may have been over feeding her
because she is not food or treat motivated right now, she has started eating the composure treats so I left one for her this morning not sure if they do anything yet.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's only been 23 days. Grabbed her on Jan 2. I'm hoping it's not lost on her that she's not cold/wet anymore, or having to live on high alert all the time because of potential predators. We were feeding her outside, 2x a day, for 18-22 months prior to her "Gotcha Day," so she was at least familiar with our voices and maybe smell. She used to wait for me in the driveway in the summer & fall..it was pretty heartwarming when I'd get home from work. She'd be out there and some of my guys in the windows. :redheartpump:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, we are almost on the same schedule Walli came in on the 10th but I now count the 21st as day 1 (blocked bed)
I know what you mean about high alert, I use to say Walli had the FBI after her, always looking over her shoulder:lol:
Walli was always waiting for me too for mealtimes.
Thanks houseofnine your very helpful

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Houseofnine, How is it going with Aimee?
Walli is hiding either under the blanket or the pillow on the bed. She won't play with the wand toys with me
it scares her. She comes out at night and plays still. But she hides when we feed her and does not eat till we are not there, she was coming out to eat when she was hiding under the bed. I'm getting discouraged, and I'm already thinking
the worst case scenario is letting her back out in the spring, I live in San Diego, so the weather isn't so bad, it does get cold at night during the Winter tho.
She won't get on the cat tree I got her, I did put a couple treats on the lower portion last night and she ate them.
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
She has been in the house Since Jan 10th, Bed Blocked Jan 21.
Just wondering if Im not doing enough. How do you socialize a cat that is hiding?
Do I just leave her be for awhile? shees, I'm being a spaz

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am considering making a small Window Catio, maybe that would help.
I have her Catio in the yard but I cannot get it connected to the House right now.
Does anyone have any experience making a window catio? Time is a rare commodity right now
so simple works.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Houseofnine, How is it going with Aimee?
Walli is hiding either under the blanket or the pillow on the bed. She won't play with the wand toys with me
it scares her. She comes out at night and plays still. But she hides when we feed her and does not eat till we are not there, she was coming out to eat when she was hiding under the bed. I'm getting discouraged, and I'm already thinking
the worst case scenario is letting her back out in the spring, I live in San Diego, so the weather isn't so bad, it does get cold at night during the Winter tho.
She won't get on the cat tree I got her, I did put a couple treats on the lower portion last night and she ate them.
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
She has been in the house Since Jan 10th, Bed Blocked Jan 21.
Just wondering if Im not doing enough. How do you socialize a cat that is hiding?
Do I just leave her be for awhile? shees, I'm being a spaz
Hi Walli! Don't fret.
Have you been sticking to a feeding/scooping/playtime/visiting routine? Cats are really routine-focused. They get weirded out if the routine is changed at all.
Do you always announce yourself in a sweet voice before you go in?
My husband works in Aimee's room during the week, so he's usually in there. The morning routine is get up, go in there, scoop her poop. Talk nice to her and ask her what she was up to. Leave room and get her breakfast (canned food warmed a little and with Fortiflora sprinkled on top). Put the bowl on floor under desk next to where she hides. I lie on the floor and talk to her, then leave. There's a light on, but it's not too bright in there (I think it scares ferals when it's too bright)..Then before I got to work I leave her a little bowl with kibble snack in it. I set up the toys and a couple dried salmon treats every night before lights-out. It's always fun to see where she moves them during the night.

On the weekend I went in there more often to visit. Also left the room door partly open but with the tall Regalo baby gate shut. Baby Bonnie (our 8 mo old kitten) can fit through but no one else can. The point was that Bonnie could try to visit so Aimee would have company or at least see there are other cats around, not just scary humans. There is some hissing and whatnot. I don't leave them alone for very long. Historically cats aren't very threatened by kittens and Bonnie is super friendly. Aimee hasn't come out yet, but they sniff each other under the desk (hence the hiss).
It will be slow going. They take a long time to adjust but you're not abusing her, really. If she has a window to look out of or a cat tree, and food and toys, you are doing fine. I would NOT put her back out because she is eating and using litter and playing, even on her own. Can you get her acquainted with your residents? You can put a screen door up (though it's a little extreme) but then your guys could meet her through the door. Then you feed them on either side of the door so they have food associated with the other kitty.
Some people have said they forget how to live outside, so that is something else to consider. I would say just keep her in. Part of that is my selfishness, tho in the northeast we get some really brutal weather and we've seen a coyote in our yard, and foxes too. A busy road is nearby. When Blizzard Grayson was coming in early Jan, that's when I just couldn't take the idea of her being out there anymore. Also I dreaded the day when she wouldn't come back or I might find her in the road. The average life expectancy of a feral cat is TWO YEARS. Most feral kittens don't live to 6 months. I don't want to be too heavy-handed but those are scary stats.
Did I help? Be patient...=) Hugs from CT.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You helped very much, Thank you Thank you!
I do not have any other cats, My last cat (18 yrs) went to Heaven in October.
I thought I didn't want anymore cats:lol:

My morning routine sounds very similar to yours. She has a window, but it's a boring one.
She has access to the whole house, I can tell she plays with the Toys in the living room at night.
She has a litter box in the room, but she uses the one in the Laundry room (at night)

Should I go in there and spend time with her even though it seems like she does not want me too?
she won't play with me dang it!!!! I will check out the Fortiflora not sure what that is.

It sounds like it's ok that she is still hiding from me?
Thanks!
If you were here I would give you a hug!!

Last edited:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You helped very much, Thank you Thank you!
I do not have any other cats, My last cat (18 yrs) went to Heaven in October.
I thought I didn't want anymore cats:lol:

My morning routine sounds very similar to yours. She has a window, but it's a boring one.
She has access to the whole house, I can tell she plays with the Toys in the living room at night.
She has a litter box in the room, but she uses the one in the Laundry room (at night)

Should I go in there and spend time with her even though it seems like she does not want me too?
she won't play with me dang it!!!! I will check out the Fortiflora not sure what that is.

It sounds like it's ok that she is still hiding from me?
Thanks!
If you were here I would give you a hug!!
Walli! How's it going over there today?
Aimee has been showing her face a little more. She's such a beautiful cat--plush grey fur and golden, almost orange eyes. She is less scared, I think. Hubs gave her some human tuna yesterday. =)
She came out for her breakfast while I was still in the room, but I left to give her some privacy after we made eye contact.
I was going to ask you, do you sleep in the same room as she does? That's how I got to be friends with our first feral, Hanna. I was sleeping on the office floor on a foam pad, and would put out dried chicken or salmon treats before I hit the pillow. Hanna started to come out of hiding every night..would sit near my feet and STARE at me for her treats. I'd toss them to her and talk to her. Then I got the laser toy and she gradually figured out what it was for. So we'd have treats and playtime every night after lights-out. This went on for months..then one night I felt something lying at my feet. Guess who?!!!
So I would try this if you are up for it. It has to be all in the dark for a while though!
Let me know how it's going.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going ok, She started hiding under the glass end table in the living room.
So we can sit in the living room and she is there, but she seems too scared to leave the end table while we are there.
she does slink out of there to go to the litter box or back in her room, I put a couple treats on the lower level of the cat tree that is in her room yesterday and she ate them. I'm going to call that progress:)
It's so weird, when she was outside she would come in and eat in front of us, not now.
I'm not giving up tho, She seems to be getting a little more relaxed, I'm not sure how old Walli is I'm guessing
she is an older Feral, maybe a few years old not sure. I have to remind myself to relax, this may take time.
I know I'm not doing as well as I could, I will try sleeping with her when the time is right, that sounds so awesome.
I know now is not the time. altho, one time my husband came out in the middle of the night and he told me she just stayed right there for a minute stretched and just moseyed away. I do have a question, should I move the cat tree to the living room? I just learned tho, moving stuff around can be a freakout. She's not really using the cat tree in the bedroom I'm just unsure. Also I have been reading about Zylkene should I get this?
I get jealous hearing all the progress people make, not in a bad way tho:), but I think you guys say every cat is different so I'm going to hang on to that.
Thanks so much everybody, I have learned so much.
I told my husband he should be the one socializing her, he's more laid back
I think I'm the one that needs the Zylken:lol:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going ok, She started hiding under the glass end table in the living room.
So we can sit in the living room and she is there, but she seems too scared to leave the end table while we are there.
she does slink out of there to go to the litter box or back in her room, I put a couple treats on the lower level of the cat tree that is in her room yesterday and she ate them. I'm going to call that progress:)
It's so weird, when she was outside she would come in and eat in front of us, not now.
I'm not giving up tho, She seems to be getting a little more relaxed, I'm not sure how old Walli is I'm guessing
she is an older Feral, maybe a few years old not sure. I have to remind myself to relax, this may take time.
I know I'm not doing as well as I could, I will try sleeping with her when the time is right, that sounds so awesome.
I know now is not the time. altho, one time my husband came out in the middle of the night and he told me she just stayed right there for a minute stretched and just moseyed away. I do have a question, should I move the cat tree to the living room? I just learned tho, moving stuff around can be a freakout. She's not really using the cat tree in the bedroom I'm just unsure. Also I have been reading about Zylkene should I get this?
I get jealous hearing all the progress people make, not in a bad way tho:), but I think you guys say every cat is different so I'm going to hang on to that.
Thanks so much everybody, I have learned so much.
I told my husband he should be the one socializing her, he's more laid back
I think I'm the one that needs the Zylken:lol:
Hi Walli, if the tree gives her a decent view, I'd leave it for a while. If you feel like spending more money on her you could get an Infinity Scratch Lounger..they're about $50 but all our kitties love them.
I think Aimee is maybe 3-4 years old. She was TNR'd by somebody (unknown) about 2 years ago. Is Walli spayed by the way? I might have missed that part of the story. I have to say I LOVE your posts, they are so entertaining! Keep up the good work. =)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I TNR'd her last December 2016, the trapping changed her, she was soo trusting before the trapping.
It took a year for her to start trusting us and then Bam! we imprisoned her :lol:
I'm starting to feel a bit calmer which is prolly what she needs.
I will check out the cat lounger, going to be ordering some stuff, I'm figuring out things are way cheaper online!
:wave3:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
houseofnine your a genius, when I got home from work Walli was on her bed under the pillow.
I removed the pillow from her, and I laid down on the bottom of the bed and talked to her, tossed a few treats toward her and just chilled, and played with a string by myself :lol: so I hung out with her for about 15 minutes, I think she was fairly comfortable, as soon as I walked away she ate the treats. This was the most relaxed day together.
I fed her dinner, I left her door open, if she eats her food with the door open that will be great.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since I have no experience with socializing ferals, I read more than I post, but I did want to post and let you know I think you're making good progress with Walli. And, remember, as you posted just upthread, it took her a year to start trusting you when she was outside, so her trusting/loving you inside will take a bit of time too. Hopefully not a year, though!
BTW, if you can get a picture of her, I'd love to see what the sweet girl looks like. :catlove:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Rubysmama! Yeah it's hard I think it's going to take me longer than most she is very Feral :lol:
I'm making mistakes, but I'm winging it!
I will get a pic of her she will be hiding tho, she won't be posing :lol:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Walli!
Aimee came out and sat on the chair while Hubs was working in the office last night. He was able to stand there and talk to her for a while before she jumped down. He was so happy that he said he teared up. (sniff!)
I'm hopeful that she'll make progress. Maybe I can snap a better pic of her too. All I have is this old one from when we first got her (a month ago today!).

Attachments

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wowee! Yay Aimee! She is making progress, she is so cute!
It's wonderful that your husband is all in too!
I figured out I was being a spaz with Walli and I am starting to chill and let this be on her time.
Baby steps! Ok I will try and take a pic of Walli too!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Walli's mom! I took a nap on the floor of Aimee's room last night, and she came out and slept on the chair AND ate her kibble snack while I was sleeping. Hubs walked in and saw her.
Baby steps indeed! What do you recommend for interactive toys for our feral friends? I tried the fishing pole and she hissed. She plays with all the mice, balls, catnip etc that I "hide" in difference places in the room overnight.
Thanks--hope it's going well over there!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hee hee, I hide toys in different spots in the living room too, I can tell when she plays.
Walli does not like the wand toys yet (hissy), I was able to play with her outside just a tiny bit before the imprisonment.
I got the ball that you can put dry food and snacks in and she is getting everything out of it.
I think Walli's favorite is the mice, besides the treat toy :lol: I did buy her a cool toy where a butterfly spins around but
I think she played with it a couple times, also bought a cool dragonfly on a string, I know she likes bugs, but she won't play with me yet. I had to take a step back because I think I was annoying her, she needs time.
The dragonfly toy is called NekoFlies it's comes on a string with a latch to hook to a wand, maybe you can play without the wand to start with, she will prolly go crazy for it!
I started her on the Zylkene not sure if it's working yet, been a week, I think she is calmer as I took a step back from
overthinking everything, she is under the end table in the morning, (not really hidden) and I feed her, she came out this morning while I was in the kitchen (She can see me) and ate. so that's different, when I get home she is in her room under the covers, I put her food in there and close her door and she will eat.
Something weird about Walli, she does not eat Chicken, Tuna or any other people food that I know of.
She is not motivated by Food, Toys etc... I put a blanket for her to lay on under the End table and now she sits in a different spot under the end table, sheesh I can't do anything right :lol:
I do need help with something I bought this awesome Cat Tree it's in her room, she will not go on it.
I'm thinking about moving it the Living Room where she plays at night, but I'm trying not to do too much
what do you think? Move it to the Living room?