I Got My Feral In The House Today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We put Joey into Walli's room again, Walli didn't come out from her window
this time. I think it was the time of night, I think mornings are better.
Yeah Joey is a Martial Artist!
Thinking about putting Joey in the same room over at my dad's during the fumigation, Walli will be in the crate and let Joey run free while we are at work.
foresee any problems with this?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like it will work out well, they'll get to know each other a little bit better.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will someone be at your Dad's place during the day to scoop up Joey and remove him to another room if things get "tense". ;)

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Walli! Sounds like everything is going great so far! What I did when I had to take my boy to get neutered, is I took all of his hiding places away so his only choice was to hide in the carrier. It was actually pretty easygoing I don't think it is always that easy. I wanted to say thank you for the "cat dancer" it's been an awesome toy and Tux just loves it had pulled him out of his shell a bit. And our other kitties love it too .
So I have been trying to find Tux a home and finally have found a rescue to take him into a foster situation. I am heartbroken to have to give him away, but there is just no way foR me to keep him. I have to give him to them tomorrow and my heart is in pieces .I just worry at how he will do and what his future will be and if he will adjust. Such a sad feeling, he is making such huge gains at trusting, and now I am going to turn his little world upside down
. It's been fun seeing each other's progress. I think you are doing great!! And the kitten might be just what Walli needed to learn from .That's really what happened to my mom's fera...the mommy learned from her baby trusting us .
Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Lab Mom! Make sure you give them the Cat Dancer for him!!
I will say a prayer for Tux, If somebody is fostering him that is great!
Don't be hard on yourself, I know it's hard, but you did a good thing.
Make sure you check back now and then for when I post a pic of Walli and Joey
together!:lol: Were a few months off I suppose tho!
I'm hard on myself too, like when I heard another kitty and walked inside,
but I know I can't do anymore, I have my Mom in a situation right now
also. I think someone that Fosters will be equipped to bring him out of his
shell, and definitely someone that cares!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
83F14B7A-1B40-4AB8-9251-FBF972428381.jpeg
05601256-09D9-46B1-B22C-36136740A259.jpeg
BD67A1B5-19C3-492C-8473-B7AF1A29247E.jpeg
D4D4234C-444D-4F44-8D30-E85BE70D9C4B.jpeg
816B19BB-F302-40BE-ACAA-252974BB8BFD.jpeg
If you decide to build a catcatraz pm me and I’ll send you the specs for mine. One I used a doggy door I cut into the garage where my three rescues stay. I close it at night. The other kids I bought one of those window sliders from Amazon with a built in door. It’s three story...you may not want that elaborate a set up. I’ll post a few pictures just FYI. If I can help let me know.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks! You East Coasters are lucky with the vertical windows!
Are's are Horizontal, which makes it a little more difficult.
Might need some help in the future, we have a temporary fix for now.
We will have to change up a bit for the rains tho, ok for now.
I have the same blue flash light! hee hee

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they are sliding windows that slide horizontally, I would prefer vertical.

We had a pretty bad setback last night, Joey escaped from his part of the house
went running up to Walli and there was a fight, I know Joey didn't start it
and Walli was thinking he was attacking, but I know he just wanted to play.
We are set to capture Walli tomorrow morning for the Vet/Fumigation of the house. I'm pretty bummed, I will try and put Joey in the room where Walli will
be (in her crate) at my Dad's and maybe she can see he is just playful not a threat. Bad time for this to happen, sheesh!

I'll be needing some Cat Prayers in the morning, I'm not afraid for myself, but for
Walli, she is going to freakout, I will wear gloves and a jacket, so I don't get injured.

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I am so sorry, I can imagine how stressed out you are. Poor babies, they just don't understand and I am sure Joey only wanted to play.
So, my hand off of Tux didn't go well at all on Friday, it was awful...long story and I still have him for now. But I did reach out to my very supportive vet and they gave me Gabapentin to put into his food on the day we move him. This is something that will calm her down. It doesn't have to be so stressful and I would rather he be drugged so that it doesn't send him into a tailspin. I would maybe ask your vet if you can give Walli something to calm her down before hand and then it might not be as bad for her.
Has Walli been spayed? Also, have you read any tips on how to introduce kitties to each other? I don't know anything about it, but it might be helpful for introducing.
I would also say that when I trapped our mommy kitty last spring...she was definitely feral and had 5 kittens and she learned to trust us through seeing us with her kittens. She is now such a lover and you would never know that she was feral, except she still runs when strangers are at my mom's house.
Good luck and keeps us posted so we can support you from afar!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I didn't know they had different windows down south or west, not sure where you live... Oh, don't feel bad. My cats have punched each other thousands of times. Just watch out that they don't get each other in the eye, and tell them no if they hit too hard. I hope everything goes okay tomorrow!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has been spayed, I TNR'd her December 2016
Walli will not be able to eat tomorrow morning so I can't do the pill.
It will just have to be the freak out that it's going to be.
Keep me posted on Tux, I have been thinking about him.
Yes I am totally stressed, can't wait for this to be over, One good thing
Walli will get to go in her catio when we get back on friday, she needs a change!
Worst case scenario, I will give it lots of time before I do this but Joey is totally adoptable and i know it would be pretty easy to find him a home if it doesn't work out. I hope it does and i think it will, but going to take longer. [sigh]

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I didn't know they had different windows down south or west, not sure where you live... Oh, don't feel bad. My cats have punched each other thousands of times. Just watch out that they don't get each other in the eye, and tell them no if they hit too hard. I hope everything goes okay tomorrow!
My husband made the mistake of putting his hand in the middle, It was pretty bad, I hope they didn't bite each other, I may have the Vet check Walli for any
noticeable cat bites, maybe give her an antibiotic just in case?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry Walli and Joey got into a spat. Maybe getting them out of the house at the same time, then bringing them back together will help with their acceptance of each other.

About getting Walli in the cat carrier, long sleeves and gloves are good. Might also want to put on a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes.

Good luck with everything.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't think about glasses, Thanks! actually going to wear a jacket and gloves.
I know it will be difficult, but I think it will go ok, no hiding spots in her room.
worst case I will throw a blanket over her and grab her that way.
It will be like we are Starting over on Friday, that's ok.
I'm just glad she will get to go outside in her catio.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure if I posted my vet's tip in this thread or not, but my vet suggested a way to get my Ruby into the carrier with the least amount of fuss.

Using a carrier with the front end opening, put the carrier up on a high table or counter, with the door opening right at the edge of the counter. Then pick up the cat and point him towards the opening. In theory, because it's up high, the cat has nowhere else to go but in the carrier. And when he goes in, quickly shut the door.

It works with my Ruby girl, so maybe it might work with Walli. :crossfingers:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, did your husband get hurt when he put his hand between them?

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and I would suggest when you grab her, that you grab by the back of the neck just like their mommy's carry them It holds them at attention and maybe she won't fight you. I am so sorry about all of this and it will take time. I hope your husband didn't get hurt.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes he got hurt, he is going to urgent care tonite, sheesh!!!!!
I will grab her by the back of the neck, we will close her doors when we go to get her in, we have a huuge crate, one that she can stay in a couple days no problem. I will put it on its end and put her in it, easy peasy! yeah right!
She is freaked out still by what happened last night, couldn't happen at a worst time. I will post after getting them to my dads. Thanks everybody! helps

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I'm so sorry he got hurt. Tell him next time to just make a loud noise or clap his hands instead of sticking his hand between them. I have a bicycle type horn and a whistle. Some people shake a can full of pennies or throw a kickeroo toy. I hope he didn't get scratched on the palm of the hand. That takes forever to heal.