I Got My Feral In The House Today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plan A was covering the 2 holes in the box she hangs out in-no worky, she got out
Plan B was taking a box with no bottom and putting it on top of her
and putting a flat piece of cardboard underneath and maneuvering her into the crate, huge freakout but got it to work.
Yes the line will be for Joey on a leash, supervised only of course.
Walli is still at the Vets, I'm so scared for her. Joey I'm sure is fine at my dads.
He is pretty easy going, but I think they are both getting a bit of cabin fever.
Through all this, I forgot it was my husband's birthday!!! He is doing much better
I will make it up to him.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vaccinations, microchip, nails trimmed, blood testing, flea treatment

vet just called, Walli has FIV, Does this mean I need to rehome Joey?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, FIV is only dangerous if she gives him a deep bite, but neutered/spayed cats don't usually fight like that and cause deep bites. I'm sorry to hear that though. But FIV cats can live a long life.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Now I have to get them to stop fighting.
I will get Joey retested for FIV in a couple weeks make sure he didn't get it.
If he did, nothing I can do, I think my old cat Tigger had it, he lived to be 19.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did Walli bite Joey? I think it would have to be really deep. Usually un-neutered males do that when they are fighting over a female. Wow, 19 is great. I think my oldest living cat was around 13 years old.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry about Walli having FIV. I would definitely get your vet's advice regarding Walli and Joey living in the same home.

Here's the TCS article on FIV if you want to read it.
Fiv In Cats

There's also many threads on FIV in the Health Forum that may (or may not) be helpful: Search Results for Query: fiv | TheCatSite

Is Walli coming home tonight?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Rubysmama, We are going home tomorrow, she gets to go in the catio!
Hope she comes in the house after all this, not a good night last night.
I will read all the articles.

maggiedemi: I think Walli scratched Joey, don't think she bit him.
I will get him tested soon.

Walli was crying last night, I slept in the same room with her, She made a huge mess in the crate, litter in the food bowls, water spilled all over, I was able to clean it up a bit this morning, I think she ate a little this morning.
I wish I could speak cat, then she would know it's not a permanent thing.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they can transmit it through scratches, just those deep bloody bites that fighting male cats usually do. Where did Joey sleep?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey slept with my husband in their own room, He did well.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I may need a little help. I'm a nervous wreck.
We are going to release Walli into the Catio tomorrow, it has an entrance to our "Office", I'm worried she is not going to come in to go to the bathroom and eat for a few days, Walli is really upset right now. I don't want to put any food or litter in the catio, as I don't want to attract anymore cats. Should I release her into the Office instead? I think it will take her awhile to get to the catio.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, maybe release her in the office and show her how to get to the catio. What is the catio like, is it completely enclosed or more like a fence?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its completely enclosed.
I'm worried about her hiding in the office, she is very freaked out right now.
but that's prolly better than her hiding in the catio i guess

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great looking catio. :thumbsup:

Since Walli is stressed, can you delay the catio introduction, and just let her out in whichever room she was most comfortable in before the vet visit and "vacation" at your Dad's.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can, But I don't think she will go into the Office and know she can go out.
Thanks you guys for being here for me, It helps just to talk it out.
I think it may make more sense to release her into the house, maybe the office tho, so she can find her way out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So part of the catio is a screen? A litterbox would probably get wet in there wouldn't it? How close can you get to Walli? You could release her in the office and show her the entrance to the catio.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a favorite treat? You could put a trail of treats either leading out or in, whichever you decide.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I've posted before, I've no experience with feral cats, but I don't think I'd introduce the catio until Walli is back into her normal routine at home - eating, sleeping, litterbox.

I'm sure she'll eventually love being in the catio, but since she's stressed, I'd let her feel like she was "home" before introducing something new.

But, go with your gut. If you think she's ready to check out the catio, go for it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm actually feeling a little better, I've decided to release her into the office
and let her find her way out, No Food, No Litter box in Catio, I think she will be able to smell the outside and hear it. You wouldn't believe the anxiety that has been released now that I have decided this, it must be the right thing.
I was thinking releasing Walli into the Catio while she is stressed might just confuse her.
I appreciate you guys so much!! I really don't have anyone to talk to about this.
well besides my husband, He doesn't think I'm crazy yet (I hope):lol:

The treats is a good idea, I usually leave treats for her at night, so i will implement something

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been doing a wonderful job. Sounds like you are trusting your good instincts. That is a good thing. Kitty may not speak in words but we do seem to pick up their “ vibes”. You certainly are. Their behaviour usually clues us in. “Actions speak louder than words.” You are not crazy. Lol We just all feel that way sometimes because we want to speak cat. I have an 11 year old FIV. Not been spread to the kitties he has lived with all those years. He does not bite other kitties although he has nipped me. I probably earned it but I didn’t catch what he was saying to me before he nipped. Ever since that nip I watch more closely for his body language. Lol Sweet kitty!