I am absolutely heartbroken and regretful over my Meela having to be put down

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meela was a white female blue eye, green eye deaf cat. She was only 9 months old when I had to make a heartbreaking decision to put her down.

Meela was very happy and healthy until the 3rd week of this past March. She started discharging something that I had the vet look at. I thought it was a miscarriage, but it turned out to be Pyometra. This meant emergency surgery to save her life. I wish that's what it did, but it didn't.

After the surgery there started being complications. It was about 4 days later that she started with a fever. She was on a liquid antibiotic that might have aspirated into her lungs causing a secondary infection. It turned out that she was Anemic and her body wasn't producing enough red blood cells. Her red blood score was 18.

The vet told me it was a 50/50 shot but if he could get her on prednisone, it could help her rebuild those cells and she could beat it. He identified the Anemia being an auto-immune disease. He tested her for feline aids and leukemia and both tests were negative. He said there was another disease called FIP that was a possibility, but since there was no test and she didn't really have the symptoms, he didn't believe it was that. So he hospitalized her over a weekend and switched her to another antibiotic.

He called me through out the weekend and updated me. I was scared to death that each time the phone rang it would be bad news about her. She looks terrible and lethargic when she was taken in. Sunday morning he told me that she was eating, hollering and had pulled her iv out..."a bit sassy". I was able to pick her up on Monday which was a week later from the date of the surgery. I was blown away at how good she looked. As soon as she saw me the started meowing and trying to get to me. WIth her being deaf, I was her person.

She did great when she got home. And then Thursday night a week and a half after surgery around 11pm she was lying flat sleeping when I pet her, I noticed that she had peed where she laid while sleeping. This was not normal. Luckily, she had a follow up visit for the next day.

Her blood count was up to 22, which meant that the prednisone was working. But her fever wasn't going down much. It was 106 and the vet managed to get down to 103 after another weekend in the hospital.

This vet was also concerned about her not eating. Strangely enough, I was the only one who could get Meela to eat. I had to coax her at times, but she usually did. I opened up a can of her favorite Fancy Feast and had a small saucer of milk in front of her and she immediately took off eating. The vet was very encouraged and told me that if I can keep her eating it was good and increased her survival changes and the chanced on beating whatever this was.

The fever was the biggest concern. In my mind, I felt if I could keep her eating and drinking, her body would grow stronger and that would help her fight this unknown disease. We arrived home around 2pm and every single hour I went to her and got her to eat and drink right up until 10:30 pm. She seemed to being doing much better and I felt like her fever had gone down or broke.

The next morning (Monday 2 weeks now after the surgery) Meela felt like she was burning up. She still used the litter box, but eating and drinking was so much less than the day before. I thought, "ok, maybe she should just go in for the day for IV fluids and that will help get her to want to eat and drink more."

I called the vet the next morning (Tuesday, April 4th) and they agreed. Luckily it was the same vet had that weekend. She told me to bring her food and they would try to get her to eat throughout the day. I was to pick her up after work and take her home.

In the middle of the day, I called the vet to check on Meela. She said that she still wasn't eating or drinking and was depressed. (She was always depressed being there.) She told me her blood count was back to 18 which was where we started and that the prednisone stopped working (she believed). I was heart broken and crying.

I told her that I had to draw a line in the sand as to when we had to call it if Meela was not going to survive this. She would not tell me if she was or wasn't, but that she wanted to meet with me when I picked her up. I did tell her I was going to take her home and let Wednesday and Thursday be the deciding factor in her getting better. If she was no better, I was going to have to put her down instead of watching her suffer and die.

I was extremely happy to get Meela. But when I got there the vet was in surgery and wasn't going to be out any time soon. My original plan was to go get her and pay at the window and leave. I honestly regret not doing that. But when they brought Meela to me, I thought she looked bad.

She had small amount of blood around her nose. When I wiped it, it was a very small clot. Nothing more came out. She looked depressed. The tech told me it could have been a blood clot coming from her lung. When I held her, her voice was hoarse and she sounded a bit raspy in the lungs when breathing. I felt so bad for her. She hated being there. The tech offered to get me a vet to talk with about her. I held her for the 10 minutes I waited telling her how blessed I was to have her in my life and how much I loved her. And that she could let go if she was tired of fighting.

She stared right into my eyes. The 4th was her 9 month birthday. When the vet came in, he immediately stated that if I was considering putting her down, that it was the right choice because she wasn't going to get better. If the prednisone stopped working, the anemia would kill her. I cried to hard and held her. I know she knew something was wrong.

When he left the room, she wanted off my lap and went from door to door, wanting to leave. I picked her up and sat her in front of me on the table. she kept trying to get into her kennel where her special blanket was. I opened the door and she went in happily "making bread" on the blanket and purring. She then turned around facing me as if to say, "What are waiting for, lets go home"

Then the vet came back and he said he believed she had another secondary infection and that she was on 2 antibiotics and nothing was touching her fever. He then stated he was pretty sure it was FIP and reminded me that it would end in death. I had spend the afternoon looking up FIP and reading all about it. I knew she had the signs. She had jaundice in her ears, wouldn't eat or drink, was somewhat lethargic and lost weight. I told him I was afraid if I took her home that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to bring her back to end her suffering, if she was. He said "you know what the right thing is and out your love for her, you would be doing her a favor".

I ended up agreeing to putting her down. I was with her the entire time. When he took her out to prepare her to be sent home, I decided to read her chart. First of all they gave her a rabies vaccination without my permission or knowledge. The never tried to feed her throughout the day like the promised. The opened a can and left it beside her only 15 minutes after I dropped off the food, which was hours before. I was distraught over this. When brought her back he told me not to feel guilty and to just remember things were only going to get worse for her.

When I got in my car, I lost it. I kept apologizing to her. I had left my phone in the car, which meant that I didn't take the opportunity to talk to anyone in my family for support. I had to bury her when I got home. My husband consoled me, but wasn't real helpful. I cried all night, my kids cried with me because they loved her and wanted her to live, too. I cried myself to sleep that night.

The next morning I called into work. I was no good to anyone. I spent the day researching more about the "what if's". Turns out that I should have taken another day to research this before I knew this was the right choice. I really was trying to look up anything that would indicated I did the right thing.

I know that I didn't ask the right questions. I didn't ask how long she had, if vitamins would work, if I kept giving her the antibiotic they stopped on top of what she already had and if that would increase help in fighting the infection, what about lights for the jaundice. What will happen if I take her home? What If get her eating? Is there a chance she can rebound from the 18 in her blood to get it up again? What other options are there? When will I know if we have to put her down? I did ask if she was suffering and the vet told me "she doesn't feel well".

I acted impulsively and now I regret it and can't change it. Why didn't I just take her home like the tech told me and weigh out my options? Why didn't I think about my family saying goodbye to her? WHY WHY WHY?

I am so heartbroken and can't stop crying about this. I feel like I failed her. I told her I would never stop fighting for her and ultimately I guess I did. Or I feel like I did. All day yesterday I kept saying I made the wrong choice, I made the wrong choice. One more day wouldn't have hurt.

Then I called the vet today to get answers to my questions. I told him how much regret I had. I was just 2 weeks after surgery. He said his concern was the fever never really going down and recently the drop in the blood count. He said death was imminent. There was no way she would beat this. He said it would have taken a miracle, which I would have held out for. He said that the blood in her nose could have meant that she would start bleeding out because her vessels were getting thin.

He said death might not have happened right way and that it could have taken weeks but that she really would have suffered deeply. He said I wasn't selfish and that I put her first. He told me there was nothing more that could have been done.

I still don't believe that and still feel like I failed her. I miss her so, so much that it really hurts. I spend the last 2 weeks with her nearly day and night because of this...nursing her and reassuring her and just loving her.. I miss her. My son has been my rock, telling me that I went up and above for her. Even though I am starting to accept that it may have been the right thing to do, I am so full of grief that it's killing me. I don't know what to do. And advice would be helpful. She was so healthy and young and this never should have happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am struggling and don't have anyone who can relate. I still don't feel like it was the right decision and it's killing me.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
@MeelasMom   I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear Meela.   I just wanted to let you know that I sent you a PM. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let this grief consume you. Meela is at peace now, you made a decision with what you had at the time, and no matter how much we would all like to change the past it will never be different. You don't know that waiting or changing anything would have made any difference, it is something that will never be known. It very well could have prolonged her pain and you wouldn't want that.

Dwelling on all those should haves, could haves, brings nothing but heartache and self doubt. Try to concentrate on good memories, on happier times and what she meant to you and your family. That is what she would want, not to bring you such pain because of her. she only wants for you to be happy, she was in your life for a reason and that reason was to show you love.

The pain is horrible, but to never have known that sweet girl at all would have been so much worse. The bond you formed with her will never be taken from you, love is spiritual, so eternal. She shared your life's journey for a while and now she is on another path, but she will never be far from your own path, and one day those paths will cross again. Celebrate her life, don't stop living fully because of her death, she would never want that at all. Think if you were the first to go, would you want her to spend the rest of her life in misery? Of course not, and she wants no less for you. Keep your mind busy, and away from all that darkness. let the sun shine once again and know she will be by your side forever in spirit. Surround yourself with those who can understand your pain, embrace your children and your husband, they are hurting too in their own way. Do good things in Meela's name, pay for an adoption at your local shelter to give another little soul a chance at love, bring cat food and litter to your local pantry, bring your children to your shelter to give much needed attention to the lonely, it makes you feel better about yourself and I know it would honor Meela to know her legacy of love is passed on in this way. Please know you are not alone in your grief, we are hear to lend whatever help we can, it helps to let the grief out so it doesn't take over your life. Take care.........RIP precious Meela, you are more loved than you will ever know, and will be dearly missed by those you left behind. You will always be held in loving hearts, sleep tight little Princess!

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MeelasMom,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Meela. I have read all your post and I felt the pain in your words, that pain was going right through my heart while I was reading.

As you know I recently lost my sweet Lola, and though I was preparing myself to this event, because I knew she was terminally ill, I wasn't ready yet. And I'm still devastated by her death and keeping thinking of her every single minute of the day.

If you have read my thread in this section, I wrote that I had lost another cat a few years ago to FIP.

As I was reading your post I recognised the symptoms that my Tom had before dying. She had lost his incredible appetite, he started losing weight, the fever wouldn't go down even with different antibiotics, he was lethargic. Though he really loved me, on those days he didn't want me around him every moment.

His breathing was getting more and more difficult and noisy, then on an afternoon he was nearly suffocating. A liquid was building up around his lungs and was compressing them to the extent he couldn't breathe. The vets at the ER hospital drew that liquid out but it was back a week later. For three times we had that liquid drawn from his chest.

At the end he had lost half of its weight, he was still feverish after 7 weeks from the first symptoms and eventually I came home on an afternoon and he had passed out on the floor trying to get out of the close door.

We had to call the vet over and he gave him the last two injections that put an end to his sufferings.

Though that decisions tore our hearts, we knew it was the best thing for him because he couldn't bear any longer.

You did the right thing for your Meela. She was suffering, she couldn't have born any more than that. She knows you have helped her, she knows you haven't failed her because you did it out of the love you had for her.

Unfortunately FIP is a very nasty disease. It cannot be prevented, it cannot be controlled in advance, there's no cure for it and even a test when the cat is alive is impossible. I think it's the most insidious disease for a cat and their owners. Some cats have it from their birth and it stays silent for years, then, due to a secondary infection or an external cause or stress it wakes up and destroyes a life in no time.

Think of Meela when she was healthy, I know it's hard to do, I myself can't do that yet for my Lola, but one day you will be able to do that, just as I have managed to do it for my Tom. He's still in my heart, everyday, but the pain that I feel is smoother, less sharp.

A kiss to your Meela, who is watching over you all from the Rainbow Bridge. She will be your guardian angel.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I have never felt like I needed a support group like need on now. Your responses moved me to tears. I lost two othe cats to fatal diseases. One was feline leukemia and then the next was hyper thyroidism. It was and devastating, but not like this. One died on the table while waiting to be put down. and the other died in thief hospital. I just don't even know what to do with myself. It's been very difficult for me. Thank you again for letting me be her and for you kind words. I need to be around people who understand. I'm not handling any of this very well.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, I wish I could do something to confort you, but I know too well that nothing but time can do it.
You did the right thing. I know, this is just my opinion, but I think that I am right in this. Meela had an illness which not only did not have a cure, but was causing her pain and suffering. You did what was best for her (stopping her pain and making her cross the Rainbow Bridge as pacefully as possible, surrounded by your love) instead of doing what you really wanted (take her home and enjoy whatever time she had left). You did this out of love, you did something for her that most humans would want to do for themselves if it where legal, making her leave this world with as little pain as possible.
Do not feel guilty. No vet would have recommended you to put her to sleep if there were any chances of her getting better. He could have made you pay much more money by keeping treating her till her natural death, but he told you it was better for her to do what you did. So, believe him, and believe us. You took the most generous option, the most painful for you.
Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us, I hope our love can help you soften the sharp edge of sadness which is cutting your heart now.

Last edited:

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words. They meant a lot

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please know that you are with people who know how you feel. I am so sorry your sweet Meela has left for her next journey at such a young age. FIP is an awful sickness, it has taken so many beautiful little souls before their time. Your final act was one of love and compassion, one that Meela understood. 

There is a very touching post on this site that has helped many during this most difficult time. I hope it provides you with some comfort. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/237066/when-the-moment-comes 

RIP sweet Meela, your family will always love and remember you 

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words. They meant a lot
We are here for you. We know what it is like beeing where you are. So we will support each other and overcome this together. We will be strong together because that is what your Meela, Antonio's Lola and my own Alice, among all the other cats of this forum who are waiting for us on the other side, would want for us.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I don't know any of you but I really need all of you:) just these few posts knowing someone else understands my pain really does help.

My granddaughter made me poem today. I framed it with pictures of Meela around it. She had a lot of questions that her mother didn't want her to ask me. I took her aside tonight and answered all of questions the best I could. She is only 7 but there stuff she needed to know. She loved her too. I kind of felt good to have someine, even aged 7 to talk to. Thank you all against. It truly means a lot!

winksmom

Darling in his basket
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Meela! I understand. I sent my sweet Wink to heaven three days ago. He had FIP. He was a year and a half old.

I'm also struggling with guilt and grief. I know in my head it was time for him to go, but I struggled with the hope that he would somehow get better. I think I was in some kind of denial.

My heart is still breaking as I know yours is. I have my faith...it helps. Please know you are not alone. God Bless.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am having a really bad day today. I thought I was going control of the crying and my guilt but today is almost as bad as ever.

Even though the end result still could have been putting her down, I can't get the image of her wanting to go home out of my head. I owed her that after putting her through the iv she had that day. I was her relief. And her fever wasn't a 2 full weeks. I should have given her a few more days.

I should've researched more to make a decision, not the map one I did. This pain is killing me. My heart is truly broken.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Auto correct attacked my post

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the pain will come in waves as will the thoughts of guilt.

Sadly there is no cure for FIP I have never heard of a cat beating it and if it runs it full course it can be an awful way to pass. You saved your kitty from a painful end and made a decision based on your love for her, you spared her from suffering.

My thoughts are with you  and your sweet girl who would never want you to be in the anguish you are in. 

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am having a really bad day today. I thought I was going control of the crying and my guilt but today is almost as bad as ever.

Even though the end result still could have been putting her down, I can't get the image of her wanting to go home out of my head. I owed her that after putting her through the iv she had that day. I was her relief. And her fever wasn't a 2 full weeks. I should have given her a few more days.

I should've researched more to make a decision, not the map one I did. This pain is killing me. My heart is truly broken.
But Meela was really suffering, the only thing she would have get from going home would have been more pain. Again, I must highlight the fact that taking her home would have been the easier thing for you and your family, not for your cat.
There is one saying that I know un Spanish, but does probably come from English, which says that we do not grief for the ones who left us, but for the part of us they took with them. Because the ones who passed are happy waiting for us, with no worries, fear or pain; we are the ones suffering, because going on without them is hard.
You could have done more research, but you had a profesional, who has been studying for several years (vets never end studying, they are always learning something new) and has plenty of experience, telling you that this was the right choice. If there were more option, he would have told you.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I just miss her so much. I only had her 9 months, but it was like she had been there forever. Her being deaf made me feel like her advocate. I knew what and when she needed something. I really was her only person. I thought I was doing better, but honestly I am not. I don't know how to come to peace with any of this. I am so blessed with finding people who have gone through what I am.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is just normal. Ar the beginnig there are just two kinds of day: bad and worse.
Alice died in July and I still find myself crying like a baby. Your case is different than mine, though, as your Meela was ill, and you did the best for her. Alice's death was due to a terrible combination of circumstances, about 20 things happened at the same time and if only one, any, of them had not happened, Alice would still be alive. It was my fault.
I know about fault. You did nothing wrong. You will get better with time, it make take months or a year, but you will be able to think about her and smile for the good momments you shared.
By now, keep yourself busy and please, STOP research about her illness. It will only hurt you more.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Alejandra. I just wish I gave her that last night at home. It wouldn't have changed anything. I wasn't prepared to make that final decision. I just wasn't. She went in for a surgery that ended up killing her basically. She had to have it and the she gets FIP? How can that happen? How can a healthy cat go down hill so fast from something that was necessary to save her life? I was allowed to read her chart and I also found out that she was given a rabies shot...without my permission. I did see that they can have adverse reactions.

The basic explanation was that the surgery was traumatic for her and that started the entire chain of events. If that is true in any form, I feel it was because she was deaf and I was truly the only comfort and soother she had. She felt safest with me. It wasn't like anyone could just comfort her. I am trying to stay off the internet. The only reason I got on was to validate that I did do the right thing on a medical basis. I would love to talk more to the other person who lost her cat to FIP. Her cat and mine died the same day. I know it will get easier, but I am so full of questions that I mostly likely will never get an answer for. Thank you being there for me.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
IDK if this helps but my Hector died at home in my arms. She had been off her food and I was doing everything for her, I fed her by hand, helped her get on the furniture, bathed her and even helped her go to the bathroom. I also gave her my softest blanket to keep her from getting a chill and slept with her. Hector had ckd and a horrible bladder infection as well as mouth problems. She died at new years.

I still think about her today but I also look at Indy and remember Hector. She reminds me of Hector so much, the way she acts, the way she cuddles, everything. Sometimes I look into her eyes and see a bit of Hector in them. I can't help but smile remembering all the good times we had.