Hyperthyroidism

flowergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, I can't believe your vet didn't offer radio iodine. I had a previous cat with the same thing. We put her on the meds for a month or two to retest her kidneys. Once they were found to be fine, I couldn't have talked the vet out of radio iodine. Here there are just a few clinics that do it, so it's not a normal vet practice thing. I was so nervous to leave her for several days, but it all went fine and I was so glad I was talked into it.

Also, my vet was able to compound the meds into this little chew that my cat loved to eat. It was like a treat to her and made it so easy as she was impossible to pill. Something else you might ask about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I will let you know what the vet says.

I have spoken with OSU and will discus this with the vet. I think only certain vets in m y area also do it. As for the vet not covering it, I think it was thar she just did not care. The new vet is also doing a urinalysis so why didn't the other vet do that. Some people should not be vets.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radio-iodine treatment is a very special therapy. It can't be done everywhere.
It requires a special equipment, a special structure, a well trained staff, a specific disposal of the waste, and so on.
That's why it isn't that easy to find a clinic that does it, or a vet who knows what to do.

When you pick the clinic where your cat could be treated, make sure they can do an in-house scintigraphy first (possibly on the same day).
Scintigraphy is a special scan, where the cat is injected with a tracking element, the peretechnate, that binds to the thyroid cells and to salivary glands.
With this scan, that might look like an x-ray, a vet can tell if the cat has any ectopic masses, namely in the lungs. And the vet can also assess the size of the thyroid tumor so to adjust the amount of I-131 to be injected to kill the tumor.

Beware of those clinics who just shot I-131 at random, based on previous experiences.
If the injection is too little, the treatment will be ineffective.
If the injection is too heavy, the cat is likely to become HYPO-thyroid, with no chances of recovery.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the treatment is very specialized but I do expect US vets to refer a patient to a good specialty clinic. If they don’t shame on them because this disease is common enough.

Agree with Antonio65 Antonio65 about the scintigraphy. Recently, there was a user on here who didn’t get one done and the cat has to get another treatment. Of course the clinic should have encouraged the user to get this done since they were the ones with the knowledge.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first cat, Gwen, was hyperthyroid, and although we were offered the iodine treatment by our vet, she did not tell us that it was the only real cure for hyperthyroidism. We wound up giving Gwen methimazole, and were advised to bring her in to the vet once a year to get her thyroid levels tested. Long story short, this was not frequent enough, and by her follow-up vet visit a year later, her thyroid levels were wildly out of control and had resulted in kidney damage.

What compounded our difficulties trying to stabilize her is that the out of control HT levels contributed to her refusing to eat, and to take her pills, and pilling her became a huge issue, and we couldn't treat her kidney damage (she was prescribed special food) because she wouldn't eat.

So please consider seriously the option of the iodine treatment-- I wish we had. If it is not a good option for you and your cat, please get her thyroid levels tested frequently to keep an eye on them. When things go wrong, they get out of control really, really fast.

And others have offered good suggestions about pilling-- we found out that methimazole is also available in an ointment that you can apply to a cat's ears, which was a really helpful alternative to the flavored chews that she took eagerly for a year, and then started rejecting.

Good luck, and thank you for saving this cat by adopting her and taking such careful loving care of her. She's lucky to have you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat, Gwen, was hyperthyroid, and although we were offered the iodine treatment by our vet, she did not tell us that it was the only real cure for hyperthyroidism. We wound up giving Gwen methimazole, and were advised to bring her in to the vet once a year to get her thyroid levels tested. Long story short, this was not frequent enough, and by her follow-up vet visit a year later, her thyroid levels were wildly out of control and had resulted in kidney damage.
It seems that your vet was way out of this world!
First, because she didn't explain you the real benefits of the radio-iodine. This was highly unprofessional.
Second, because she didn't tell you that when a cat is treated with methimazole, the thyroid levels (and renal and liver levels too) have to be checked every 5-6 weeks.
Hopefully you changed vet since then.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She goes to the vet in a few days and have written down everything to ask her.

I will say that she has been gaining weight back on since she started taking the pills. She shows no signs of illness. She is active and she does not drink/eat excessively nor urinated a lot. I am so glad to see her gaining weight back as I think that is a good sign.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, Antonio65 Antonio65 , we're now with a new vet (for our current kitty, Juniper). Sadly, although we tried to treat all of Gwen's symptoms, there was just too much that had gone too wrong, and she died about a year ago.

So I think it's important to share that experience and try to make sure that the information I didn't have is available. I'm glad you're also active on this forum to let people know about the iodine treatment.

R Rick60 , I'm glad to hear that your cat seems healthier and more active and happy. Some things to keep an eye out for that, in retrospect, were warning signs that Gwen's thyroid meds were not helping enough: excessive thirst, waning appetite, peeing in inappropriate places, and meowing late at night. And please do get that bloodwork done regularly!

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I spoke with them on the phone they mentioned checking her blood every 30 days and then every 6 months. Not sure of the time period for each though. I should find out more Friday.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I spoke with them on the phone they mentioned checking her blood every 30 days and then every 6 months. Not sure of the time period for each though. I should find out more Friday.
The blood check will be post-treatment.
In my case it was at day 30, day 90 and day 120.

I new blood check would have been on day 365, but she died on that very day to something different, but likely related to her thyroid not being treated early enough.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I think it's important to share that experience and try to make sure that the information I didn't have is available. I'm glad you're also active on this forum to let people know about the iodine treatment.
Thanks, we are all making our part.
Too little is known about this treatment, it seems!

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are a few photos of her today. She doesn't even look sick but I know she has hyperthyroidism as she had some signs. As I have said, the pills have helped her a lot.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to edit above post but could not find a way to do that as I have a few things to add.

This is the cat a vet wanted to put down a week ago based on how she looks because she thinks she has kidney disease. I looked at symptoms for kidney disease and she only has two and those two are also symptoms for hyperthyroidism. That vet should she her today so she can eat her words!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes that vet was way too quick to jump to euthanizing. Geez hard to believe a vet that is so uninterested and unmotivated is taking care of people's beloved companions!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the two diseases your cat has requires euthanasia, your vet is too hasty in giving death to the living beings she promised to help.
Sorry, but I do not like her at all!

I had a vet for over 15 years and I could swear she was the best. When my sweet Lola got sick for a rare disease, rather than being at my side to fight this strange thing, my vet advised me to put her to sleep.
I said farewell to her, changed vet, treated my cat and won the battle.
The true love never gives up!
The true love fights till the end.

You aren't allowed to edit your posts because you have few posts sent.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went to the vet and she weighs 9.2 pounds. The vet did an exam and she looks well. She could not understand why the other vet wanted to put her down.

We talked about radioactive iodine therapy and I am going to try to get the money up for it. But since she just had blood work done, she wanted to wait one month to take it again which would be about 2 1/2 weeks from now.

Though she is still taking the pills, I am switching over to the oil that goes in the ears. It would be so much easier for the cat.

She seems really positive about her and said she looks good. She answered every question I had and made sure I understood everything. She did mention Hill's Scientific Y/D but she said to either do that OR the pills but not both. I think I will stay with the meds but I am going to still change her diet to more healthy food quality.

What I liked about her over the other vet is how she handled the cat. My cat is a bit on the temperamental side. The first vet sedated her to exam her. This vet did not. She had a vet tech help her and she examined the cat awake. I liked that she did not subject the cat to additional trauma.

So all looks good and I like the new vet. My cat is doing fine and being her own normal self.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hurray! So glad to hear you found a vet you like and sounds like your kitty is doing well.