Hyperthyroidism

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was just diagnosed with very high hyperthyroidism. She is about 15 years old. I did not like what the vet told me as it is going to be hard to let her go. She gave me some pills called Felmazole 2.5 mg twice a day. She said the pills may help but they can cause kidney or heart disease. Actually she said she would suspect she already has kidney disease but the hyperthyroidism masked in in blood test. She said with the pills she may live a few months. It will be hard to put her down but I have to do what is best for her. Has anyone dealt with this and has anyone had some good results. Any feedback is help.

I am trying to give her med and dissolved it in water and tried to put it down her throat but cannot get her to take it. Any ideas?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pills aren't really a good solution. It will not stop it from getting worse. Radioactive iodine treatment is considered a cure. Your cat will have to be away for some days due to the radio active content. But it is very effective! Out of all the procedures out there it's not as expensive. Maybe $1-2,000 in the US? Just make sure you get a scintigraph to accurately determine the dosage.

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism is extremely common and cats can live for years getting the pills once or twice a day, and 15 is not that old for a cat. The kidney values will need to be checked as your vet said, as well as blood tests to check thyroid levels as the dose is adjusted, but you are not alone. I would not dissolve the pill though, just cover it with a little pill pocket or cheese and give it to her when she is hungry before her meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now she is by the water bowl slowly drinking. She keeps watching me or my pet rat. I have had her for over ten years and she is family. Doc mentioned putting her down but I could come to do it - at least not yet. I have this also on a Facebook group and one person mention using these.

Kidney Support Gold - Cat Kidney Disease Support
Thyroid Support Gold - Cat Hyperthyroidism Support

Anyone ever try these?

I read more have been prescribed Methimazole over the drug I have.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you don’t want to treat your cat with radioactive iodine? Okay.

Rather than those kidney support drops you will be better off giving 300mg of combined epa and dha. Check the labels of omega 3 fish oil. It’s helpful for kidney cats because it’ anti-inflammatory.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually I looked it up and Google says it is about $1400. I do plan to ask the vet about it. I will do what I can to save her and give many more healthy years.

Thanks I will look into the anti-inflammatory options. I am putting a list of questions to ask the vet. I am listening and writing down everything others have used.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic! I used to use those gold kidney drops out of desperation until a veterinarian told me they were expensive and useless. She recommended the fish oil instead.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you get a certain brand of fish oil? What is epa and dha? Thanks

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Per an article:
EPA and DHA stand for eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid respectively. These fatty acids are omega-3 fats, which are found in cold water fish. EPA DHA are highly unsaturated fats because they contain six and five double bonds on their long structural chains.

You can see how much epa and dha a fish oil has by looking at the nutritional label. I use Nature Made Omega 3 360mg which is nothing special. It’s just ultra economical for my 3 cats since it’s available at Costco.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and ask your vet if he thinks the radioactive treatment is appropriate for your cat. If hyperthyroidism is masking a very serious kidney condition it does make it more complicated. Because once the hyperthyroidism is cured it will unmask the full kidney issue. If he just has a mild case of kidney disease then the radioactive treatment could still be a good option.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my 15 yo was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism I was only offered pills, no mention of any other treatments. She did well on them for several years. I had her retested every 6 months and over time the pill strength was increased but she was kept well on them. If you are not happy with what your vet told you, dont be afraid to get a second opinion.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doc mentioned putting her down but I could come to do it - at least not yet.
I think you need to change vet as soon as possible!
A vet that advices to put a cat down because of hyperthyroidism is not worth having as a vet!

Sorry for my rude reply, but I'm fed up with those vets who don't know how to handle such a disease.
It CAN BE cured, provided that the owner wants to.
Despite this positive possibility, there are still vets who give pills, eargels and bad advice.

Oh, another thing, be aware that it's way more advisable to start with a lower dosage than 2.5 mg twice a day.
Not only HT gives damage to the system, the methimazole too is dangerous, and its bad effects on the body can't be reversed.
So, many vets advice to start with a lower dosage (generally 1.25 mg twice a day), check the thyroid levels in 4-5 weeks (along with a complete blood panel to assess possible damages to kidneys and liver), and adjust if needed.

I live in a country of the world where the radio-iodine treatment isn't available for pets, and had to confront and argue with my vets for months before I decided that I would have been the best doctor for my cat.

The sooner you treat your cat with radio-iodine, the better it is, literally!

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the moment she could not tell about the kidney because she said the hyperthyroidism is masking it. Hopefully she will know more next week when I take her in.

I also got a pill down her this morning. I hide it in a small piece of hot dog and she gulped it right down. Yeah!

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would suggest you don't change doses of the med you give without your doctor's go-ahead, and if you are not comfortable with your doctor look for another one, but don't start changing treatments on your own. Your vet knows more about your cats than anyone other than you .The Felimazole is the same medication as Methimazole, but more expensive because it is sold at the vet's. Get a prescription for Methimazole filled at a regular drug store, or better yet online to save some money.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
How comfortable is your cat with being handled? Felix didn't like taking his Methimazole so I had to put him on his back, get on top and hold his between my thighs. Then with my right hand, I pulled his head back and dropped it down his throat.

Antonio65 Antonio65 is right about starting at a low dosage. Although I do agree with consulting with a veterinarian beforehand, in my case, the vet I was dealing with was very unreasonable and not very communicative. After lowering his dose from 5mg to 2.5mg a day, symptoms like vomiting and nausea stopped completely.

Depending on where you live, it would be a good idea to call around to several clinics. This is what I did before finding the clinic that treated my cat with i-131.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 is right about starting at a low dosage. Although I do agree with consulting with a veterinarian beforehand
Of course, I never said to cahnge the dosage on your own, always discuss it with your vet and, in case, see a different vet for a second opinion.
Find a vet who has experience with HT, not all vets have it.

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fortunately it sounds like the hot dog trick worked! Right now I am using cheese as a "pill pocket" since my feral does not like actual pill pockets and is on long term antibiotics but I am keeping the hot dog idea in mind if she gets tired of cheese.
I was just pointing out the need to have a doctor following the patient because I was in a group years ago when my cat was diagnosed with HT and there were people on that group giving medical advice that poor newcomers were blindly following because the people were professing to be smarter than the vets. It just scares me because they "sounded" like they were smart, but in the end, their was obviously a reason they weren't doctors, no one really knows these people, and they have never examined the patient they are "treating", or reviewed their whole medical background, ..., they just thought they were experts for some reason and people listened to them!! I know there are some bad doctors of all sorts out there, but that is no reason to start believing people you don't even know, simply because they tell you they know what they are talking about. Sorry - that was just my PSA I guess...

That being said, the radioactive iodine in my area (PA) was $2000 back in 2013, so is probably >$3000 now, just for reference.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone’s advice. I have written done everything and will present it to the vet. I did call another vet and will switch if needed. I see this vet again next week and I will determine at that time if I continue with her. I want a vet whose stands behind treating and helping my cat recovery. If I do not feel that on the next visit, it is good-bye.

I am going to ask about the fish oils and about a better diet. I am also going to ask about the dosage of the meds she is taking.

She is comfortable with me touching her but she id aggressive toward those she does not know. They had to sedate her to draw blood. But as for giving her the pills, she wanted no part of that. This morning I hide it in a piece of hotdog and she took it.

She seems to be doing fine today. She is lying next to me and is very alert. But I did notice she was up a lot last night. Now that the meds started today, I hope to see changes soon.