Hyperthyroidism

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really annoys me that too many vets don't even mention the radioactive treatment. Sounds like they go straight to the pill. If they're in the US they have no excuse to not even mention and consider this wonderful option. It's not everyday a treatment will effectively cure a disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She is very lovely but she has an attitude. She will not let anyone touch her until she knows them and that can take about a month. I rescued her (and another cat) from a shelter where I volunteered. No one wanted her because they said she was mean. She was not mean. She was just scared and tired of people poking at her. She needed someone who would take time to work with her. My daughter and I had a heck of time getting her in a carrier. I finally cornered her and put a clothes basket over her. I than used that to get her in the carrier. The people at the shelter did not even know how to get her. If I would not have been persistent to get her, she would have either died there of been label as aggressive and put down. After working with her a few months, her true self came out. She loves to cuddle and loves attention.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Curious. Will a cat still purr if they are sick? She has been purring all day when I pet her. Could this be good or totally irrelevant.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That makes sense. Thanks

Still sitting hear waiting to hear back from vet. I know the vet she saw is not in today but someone can call me. For tonight, I am thinking about only giving her half the 2.5 tablet. I would also like them to send the blood to an outside lab.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I think she was playing last night. She has this one toy like a ring. She likes to throw it around and carry around house in her mouth. I noticed when I got up this morning it was moved. My other cat does not play with it at all so this is how I know it was her. I am glad to see she is active.

This is my other kitty. She is also over ten but younger. She is all fine.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After listening to everyone here and on the Facebook groups and talking to my daughter, I am done with this vet. I am going to go to a different vet. I mentioned earlier that they were suppose to call me back today. They never did so I called them just before closing and got no where. I do not feel this vet is best for my cat. I am going somewhere else. I spoke to two other vets today and it will be one of those. Either North Kenny Vet Hospital of Hilliard Vet Hospital.

When I did speak to them I asked why Radioactive Iodine Treatment was not offered and she said she does not think they do it.

Thanks for all your advice and comfort!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well done. I hope you find a good conscientious vet for your kitty that will listen to you and look at all alternatives.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really annoys me that too many vets don't even mention the radioactive treatment. Sounds like they go straight to the pill. If they're in the US they have no excuse to not even mention and consider this wonderful option. It's not everyday a treatment will effectively cure a disease.
Wonderful words!
In US you have lots of choices and vets should know that, and know what to do. US vets really have no excuse.

Here in Italy we do not have any facility that could perform such a treatment, nonetheles, vets keep not saying anything radio-iodine, either because they don't know it exists (shame on them!) or because they *wrongly* assume that nobody would go abroad to help their cats!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After listening to everyone here and on the Facebook groups and talking to my daughter, I am done with this vet. I am going to go to a different vet.
Very good move! :)

Either North Kenny Vet Hospital of Hilliard Vet Hospital.

When I did speak to them I asked why Radioactive Iodine Treatment was not offered and she said she does not think they do it.
Not all clinics or hospitals do that, but I'm rather sure that you'll find one in your State. If you want to mention where you're based, someone here could give you directions.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that the meds started today, I hope to see changes soon.
Any change in the signs you see due to HT are visible in weeks, not in days. That's why it is requested to have the cat tested every about 5 weeks to assess the improvement (or the worsening) of the conditions, and then adjust the dosage.

For tonight, I am thinking about only giving her half the 2.5 tablet. I would also like them to send the blood to an outside lab.
Sending the blood to a different lab is a good idea, provided that this new lab is absolutely reliable.
Over here very few labs are accredited for high quality results, and usually it's not up to the pet owner to decide where to send the samples, but if you are lucky enough to find a deal with the vets, they could help you.

Changing the dosage on your own could not be a good idea, though. And if you change it, it will take weeks to see if you were right.

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She acted like she did not know what radioactive iodine treatemnt is. When I asked her she said, "What is that?" That is when she said she does not think they do it.

I am located in Columbus Ohio. And those in this area, the vet I saw was at Rascal Animal Hospital which is a very reputable hospital. Not to me anymore.

I cannot wait to see her change. She actually slept last night because the night before I do not think she slept much. I actually got mad when someone knock on my door and woke her up.

Again, thank you for all your help and support.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She acted like she did not know what radioactive iodine treatemnt is. When I asked her she said, "What is that?" That is when she said she does not think they do it.
This is the kind of reply I kept having when I asked my vets for the same treatment for my cat. And it is the same thing I heard over and over in the following months.
But this is Italy, and I was almost expecting it.
Getting the same reply in US is unacceptable!

I am located in Columbus Ohio. And those in this area, the vet I saw was at Rascal Animal Hospital which is a very reputable hospital. Not to me anymore.
Hopefully someone in your area with experience in this issue will chime in. Meanwhile I might advise you to start looking for a radio-iodine facility near to you.
Someone here travelled hundreds of miles to reach the clinic, if you're willing to do the same, you could also look for something out of the State. Pennsylvania maybe, Pittsburgh might have something.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could start a new thread to see if someone near you has information or experience on the treatment in your area. Something like "radioactive iodine treatment Columbus Ohio area"

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is set to see a NEW vet next Friday. They plan to check her blood again (sent to outside lab) and will do a urinalysis to check her kidneys.

As for radioactive iodine treatment, they said MEDVET does them.