Hyperthyroid In My Cat Just Being Diagnosed Worriedi

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2.0 millicuries of radioactive iodine
It is supposed to be a low dose. What did Pallina get?
The document reads:
...the cat was treated by intravenous injection of 1.7 mCi (=62.5 MBq) iodine-131...
...upon release the measured level of emitted radiation is 1.0 uSv/h at 1 meter...
...the cat is found in good clinical condition to be transported...

So it seems that Pallina received a lesser amount of radiations, despite the fact that her HT was diagnosed at least 12 months before the treatment.

Pallina was examined with a scintigraphy scan 24 h prior to the I-131 shot:
...a diagnostic pertechnetate scan was performed. For this, , the cat is injected intravenously with pertechnetate, a radioisotope emitting gamma radiation.
The cat received an activity of 1.2 mCi (=44.4) MBq Na99mTcO4.

As far as I know, this radioactive substance has a half-life of few hours, so it's unlikely that this added to the following radiation level.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think they do lower than 2 in the U.S. Maybe the substance is different? Regardless both these doses are very very low. Tutu was borderline hyperthyroid in the gray area but she definately had a small adenoma that showed in her scan. I am mostly worried because her pancreatitis flared up and the new vets are recommending taking her off antibiotics and I don't know if I should. And she is not eating at times. Got an appetite stimulant this morning and ate breakfast but by dinner she doesn't want to eat, am hoping she eats later tonight. As her thyroid levels are very low so she might need thyroid meds. She cried to the vet today. She wants out of there and food when she wants it!!!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think they do lower than 2 in the U.S. Maybe the substance is different? Regardless both these doses are very very low. Tutu was borderline hyperthyroid in the gray area but she definately had a small adenoma that showed in her scan. I am mostly worried because her pancreatitis flared up and the new vets are recommending taking her off antibiotics and I don't know if I should. And she is not eating at times. Got an appetite stimulant this morning and ate breakfast but by dinner she doesn't want to eat, am hoping she eats later tonight. As her thyroid levels are very low so she might need thyroid meds. She cried to the vet today. She wants out of there and food when she wants it!!!
Finally she ate her dinner YAY!!!!!!
Now I can sleep tonight. I have been so worried.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they do lower than 2 in the U.S. Maybe the substance is different? Regardless both these doses are very very low. Tutu was borderline hyperthyroid in the gray area but she definately had a small adenoma that showed in her scan.
Actually 1.7 and 2.0 are quite similar, though I don't know how such a small difference may impact on the result and on the radiation level.
The scintigraphy my cat had showed a quite large adenoma in her throat and no other spots in her chest.

Pallina started showing signs of the disease in March 2016, but we were fighting against a terrible disease in my other cat. Pallina is very sensible, and we thought that her being off food was because of the stressful situation in the house.
When my other cat was finally treated and cured 4 months later, we expected that Pallina would restore her usual appetite. When this didn't happen I had her visited and the vet found out she was HT. It took another year to have her treated with I-131, meanwhile she was wasting because she wasn't eating anymore. She lost 2 kg in a few months. She was also diagnosed with a pancreatitis, liver disease and IBD.
I guess that in 15 months since the first symptoms, the thyroid gland would have grown a lot. And this was confirmed by the scintigraphy. I was worried that the I-131 could be not effective.
Pallina was hospitalized for 4 days, and as I had understood, she didn't eat much during those days, she came home 400 g lighter than when she entered the clinic.

I think that Tutu can't wait to come back home. Prayers are still going her way!!!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually 1.7 and 2.0 are quite similar, though I don't know how such a small difference may impact on the result and on the radiation level.
The scintigraphy my cat had showed a quite large adenoma in her throat and no other spots in her chest.

Pallina started showing signs of the disease in March 2016, but we were fighting against a terrible disease in my other cat. Pallina is very sensible, and we thought that her being off food was because of the stressful situation in the house.
When my other cat was finally treated and cured 4 months later, we expected that Pallina would restore her usual appetite. When this didn't happen I had her visited and the vet found out she was HT. It took another year to have her treated with I-131, meanwhile she was wasting because she wasn't eating anymore. She lost 2 kg in a few months. She was also diagnosed with a pancreatitis, liver disease and IBD.
I guess that in 15 months since the first symptoms, the thyroid gland would have grown a lot. And this was confirmed by the scintigraphy. I was worried that the I-131 could be not effective.
Pallina was hospitalized for 4 days, and as I had understood, she didn't eat much during those days, she came home 400 g lighter than when she entered the clinic.

I think that Tutu can't wait to come back home. Prayers are still going her way!!!
How long since Pallina had her treatment has it been? Has it been a cure for her? It sounds like it was successful!!! I hope for the same for Tutu. I know her thyroid problem will be cured but I am wondering about her pancreatitis, her IBD, her chronic hepatitis and the beginning of her kidney problems. I am hoping they stabilize or improve. Hoping for the better!!! How is Pallina now?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long since Pallina had her treatment has it been? Has it been a cure for her? It sounds like it was successful!!! I hope for the same for Tutu. I know her thyroid problem will be cured but I am wondering about her pancreatitis, her IBD, her chronic hepatitis and the beginning of her kidney problems. I am hoping they stabilize or improve. Hoping for the better!!! How is Pallina now?
Regarding retreatment it is usually not necessary but can be done. It is only needed in a tiny percent of cases from what I read. I pray our kitties improve their health!!!! I can't wait to get my Tutu home. I am waiting a full two weeks for her to be safe for me to be exposed to her. By the way there was a recent panel of experts review of the National Toxicology Project and the majority agreed that radio frequency (cellular exposures) causes cancer and precancerous adenomas in animals, hence our cats and ourselves. This included thyroid adenoma. This was research conducted by the prestigious National Institute of Environmental Health Science, a part of the U.S. National Institute of Health. What will be done to protect the public from the overload in our environment? (ntp.niehs.nih.gov). Cornet ED88T plus emf RF meter is the meter that amazon sells that measures electric, electromagnetic and radiofrequency fields in your environment. It was around $220.00 on Amazon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pallina was treated early August last year.
In a few days it'll be 9 months. The first re-check a month later was giving low level of T4 and fT4, but they told me it was normal.
The second check three months post treatment was still low, but the last check 6 months post treatment showed regular levels.
So yes, the treatment was successful.

Pallina is fine now, but we're struggling to find a balance for her IBD and chronic vomit. She's on omeprazole now, but she can't take that med forever... and she eats a specific wet food that is not causing (too much) trouble with her IBD.
I would have liked to have her TC scanned again, or have her checked with a gastroscopy, but due to an unknown issue that causes some fluid to build up in her chest, she can't be put on an anesthesia.

By the way, Pallina is 17 today :bday:

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tutu has finally had great success with zofran (Ondansetron) to control vomiting. She used to vomit three times a week and now it is only three times a month if that. She tended to vomit after a bowel movement which might have caused her muscles to contract and spasm. This medication relaxes the muscles a bit. A unique protein without added carbohydrates and without guar gum, xanthanan gum, peas, chickpeas has made a difference. Tutu is on venison now. I add 3/4 tablespoon per can of baby food organic pumpkin as she gets constipated. The vomiting can also be a sign of pancreatitis so you might have a PLI blood test to check it. The thyroid scan does not need anesthesia to be done but you should not have to do it unless Pallina's t4 elevates again. I think I read that only 1%or 2% need a redo of I 131. Tutu is back to eating so for that I am relieved. I think I may switch to the 24 hour facility to an internal medicine vet there for regular care. Her regular internal medicine vet is out on a family leave with serious medical issues.
Today I will hear from the radiology vet as to whether or not to give Tutu a little thyroid medication or to continue sub q fluids beyond the twenty days he suggested and whether to do sub q fluids every day rather than every other day. Tutu gets regular ultrasounds to see if her organs are still ok. Hope this info helps.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just got Tutu's blood work. One extra thing came up and her triglyceride is also elevated not sure why. Just looked it up on line and it is likely her hypothyroid causing this since her liver values are ok.

Last edited:

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just got Tutu's blood work. One extra thing came up and her triglyceride is also elevated not sure why. Just looked it up on line and it is likely her hypothyroid causing this since her liver values are ok.
Two more days and she will be home. I got very depressed yesterday and I just felt something was wrong. I called the vet and they said she wouldn't eat. So I asked them to take pictures of her cage. I noticed they tried to feed her on a paper plate. So I told them to put the food in a stainless steel bowl and she ate. Because she is radioactive they did not want to use their bowls. So I rushed a couple bowls to them. Then tonight they gave her sub q fluids right before dinner and she did not want to eat. Is it better to give sub q fluids after dinner or mid day not just before a meal? Additionally I found out they drew blood two hours after she ate. That means the blood test was. It accurate. She needs to be fasting at least eight hours for it to be accurate for her PLI pancreatitis test so they will redraw her blood tomorrow and will see where her thyroid t4 and PLI is at. Fingers crossed. I want her home already. I'm cleaning house for her!!!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Rainbow Bridge cat Lola had CKD, and I would give her sub-Qs every night or every other night. I remember that about half an hour after the sub-Q, she was hungrier than normal, so I always thought that the hydration would awake her appetite.
Anyway, when I was away and a girl would come to attend my cats, she would give my cat the sub-Q in the afternoon, and there was no difference.

At the clinic they use disposable items because of the radiations, and whatever is brought from home cannot be returned to the owner.

Be strong, she'll be home soon! :)

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2253.JPG
IMG_2185.jpg
IMG_2257.JPG

My Rainbow Bridge cat Lola had CKD, and I would give her sub-Qs every night or every other night. I remember that about half an hour after the sub-Q, she was hungrier than normal, so I always thought that the hydration would awake her appetite.
Anyway, when I was away and a girl would come to attend my cats, she would give my cat the sub-Q in the afternoon, and there was no difference.

At the clinic they use disposable items because of the radiations, and whatever is brought from home cannot be returned to the owner.

Be strong, she'll be home soon! :)
At the radiology vet clinic they use stainless steel because it doesn't absorb radioactivity. They said that plastic won't either. She is just a day away from coming home so it probably doesn't matter. I gave them a stainless bowl and a stainless plate and my own soapy sponge so they can throw it out when done. In the meantime Tutu is not eating much. She may need another appetite stimulant. It is supposed to last 72 hours but we only get a day out of it. I fear her pancreatitis is worse and it is bothering her. She is staying in her cat house bed I got for her. Here are pictures of Tutu at the radiology facility and later at vet 24 hour facility. The picture of her climbing out of the red bed is at the radiology facility. The striped cube is at the 24 hour vet group. I wonder how she will be when she first comes home. She will have been gone two weeks.
I just noticed a type error on what I wrote last time. The blood test taken a couple of hours after eating is not accurate. There needs to be a minimum of eight hours fast before a blood draw for the pancreatitis PLI test to be accurate. I'm not sure if having eaten affects the thyroid t4 test. Her liver enzymes are back to normal after the I-131 treatment. I hope her thyroid is starting to pick up so she doesn't need thyroid meds. I think they might want to take her off clavamox as it might aggravate her pancreas but I think she might need a different antibiotic. I have been doing spring cleaning both to take my mind off her and to make the house nice for her return however it is hard for me because I am very sore in my muscles and my hip and knee joints.

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that you want to make her return home the best possible, but don't overdo ;)
I'm quite sure that once she's home, with you, among her things, with smells and stuff she knows well, she'll be doing better.
I think that being away from home is giving her much stress and this turns out as lack of appetite and other diseases, like a pancreatitis.

Do not worry about the typo, I had understood what you wanted to say :)

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand that you want to make her return home the best possible, but don't overdo ;)
I'm quite sure that once she's home, with you, among her things, with smells and stuff she knows well, she'll be doing better.
I think that being away from home is giving her much stress and this turns out as lack of appetite and other diseases, like a pancreatitis.

Do not worry about the typo, I had understood what you wanted to say :)
The radiology vet and the surgeon both decided to put Tutu on a low dose thyroid medication for a few weeks until her thyroid begins to respond better again. This will help lower her kidney values. Might make her feel better. The mobile vet will be helping me with sub q fluids at my home. She believes Tutu is on too much sub q fluids for her size. She will adjust it. Tutu doesn't like strangers in the house so I got some help to complete spring cleaning,some of which I had not done in years. YAY I can breathe again!!!! I bought a meter to do a basic measurement of Tutu. The surgeon where she is located explained he talked to the radiologist after doing a reading and he had to convert the numbers. The meter also is not specific to I 131. Nevertheless she is under what government standards allowed are. Just halfway between government standards as safe and true measured background level. If you subtract background levels from her she is closer to background levels. Not perfect but safe for her to come home and expose me. I'll verify with the radiologist tomorrow. I meet with an internal medicine vet tomorrow at the surgeons facility where Tutu is boarded. My internal medicine vet is out on family medical leave. Tutu's liver values cane back to normal. She has had pancreatitis for two years. Maybe this new internal medicine vet will have some plan to help Tutu to recover. I can't wait to see her though I am still weary about my own exposure because I have an adenoma ( precancerous tumor) myself.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, good news, it seems :)
Hopefully the thyroid meds will help her in the first weeks or so, and the home environment will give her an extra kick to improve quickly!

I'm astonished at the photo service that the facility provided, wonderful! :)

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found out with the meter I got the background level reads .02 mrem/hr. And Tutu reads .03mrem/hr. at one meter. This is after converting the values. This was a meter I got from Less EMF. It is not a specialized I131 meter so it is not accurate for her situation but it gives us an idea it is ok for her to come home. Under .05 is government standard for safe background levels. Tutu is not eating so it will be really good that she comes home where she can eat more. She will be on a small thyroid dose for a few weeks and slowly weaned off of it. I am really tired today so she will come home and we will crash to sleep. It will be good to have her back as it has been strange without her running around in the house.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tutu is home!!!!!
Her blood work is excellent. Kidneys normal (sub q fluids helped - will be on them for another week) liver normal, thyroid low so she is taking a very low dose thyroid pill for a couple weeks then wean off of them as her thyroid recovers, pancreas is close to normal too. She has never been this normal!!!! But she came home howling nonstop for almost four hours!!! I think she is settling in now and will be ok. I really like the internal medicine vet I saw. She worked with my vet in SanDiego before either of them were in their own practice. And there is a mobile vet going to help to do sub q meds for Tutu who I also like. If she has to be on them long term I will learn how. Relief am I glad my baby kitty is home!!!!!!!!!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a wonderful news!
Tutu is howling because she can't believe that she's home again, she is so happy and astonished that she might think it's a dream.
She'll be fine soon and you'll be amazed at how good she will be, you will even won't remember how bad she was.
Wonderful!!! :hyper:

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Up and down but overall ok. Her thyroid dropped too low, did not want to eat and got lethargic. Now on a low dose thyroid pill until her thyroid kicks back in. Will wean her in a month or two. She got sub q fluids. Hope she doesn't have to continue them. Local mobile vet helped with them and she cried "no no no no no". Now is ok. More interested in food but want me to feed her. I love her and hope she remains in good health.