Hyperthyroid In My Cat Just Being Diagnosed Worriedi

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, some days our lives are just "full" of stuff. I hope you get your baby back soon. That will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, some days our lives are just "full" of stuff. I hope you get your baby back soon. That will help.
My doctor changed my appointment so it will be after Tutu is past the contamination issue time period. YAY so I don't have to drive up to Los Angeles today and I can meet with the vets instead. Other good news is that Tutu finally ate a whole dinner meal!!!!! How we accomplished this: in the morning the radiology vet gave her an appetite stimulant but she still was not eating. I decided to sacrifice her favorite bed that is saturated with her odor on it. (I can't get anything later returned from the radiology vet as the beds are exposed.). So I took her favorite bed and I made up her food how I know she likes it and dropped it off. I saw her on the web camera climb into her red favorite bed and sniff. I noticed a little food got eaten. I got a call this morning that overnight she had eaten the whole can of food set out for her dinner. I think she was confused by the scent around the litter at the radiology vet clinic. She needed to smell herself in her things and her food and maybe me to have the confidence to eat. Now I know she is on the road to recovery. I will continue to prepare her meals for her and deliver to the 24 hour vet facility where she is being transported today. I suggested they use her unscented litter. Am so relieved and now able to refocus on my own health issues as I am going downhill myself. YAY Tutu is better!!!!!!!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_2187.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG
My doctor changed my appointment so it will be after Tutu is past the contamination issue time period. YAY so I don't have to drive up to Los Angeles today and I can meet with the vets instead. Other good news is that Tutu finally ate a whole dinner meal!!!!! How we accomplished this: in the morning the radiology vet gave her an appetite stimulant but she still was not eating. I decided to sacrifice her favorite bed that is saturated with her odor on it. (I can't get anything later returned from the radiology vet as the beds are exposed.). So I took her favorite bed and I made up her food how I know she likes it and dropped it off. I saw her on the web camera climb into her red favorite bed and sniff. I noticed a little food got eaten. I got a call this morning that overnight she had eaten the whole can of food set out for her dinner. I think she was confused by the scent around the litter at the radiology vet clinic. She needed to smell herself in her things and her food and maybe me to have the confidence to eat. Now I know she is on the road to recovery. I will continue to prepare her meals for her and deliver to the 24 hour vet facility where she is being transported today. I suggested they use her unscented litter. Am so relieved and now able to refocus on my own health issues as I am going downhill myself. YAY Tutu is better!!!!!!!
She is in the 24 hour vet facility now. They are really nice there but very expensive. I saw her for a minute. She chattered a little was scared from being transported but looked ok. The mobile vet said her I 131 dose was very very low and her discharge papers from the radiology vet say she can come home in another week and a half. The mobile vet has vet techs that can come to my home to do sub q fluids a couple extra times as needed. So now I have to clean house- LOL!!! Here are a couple pictures of her that the radiology vet took. She looks sleepy. I called last night to the 24 hour facility and she had eaten another whole bowl of food. I don't know if she will need the appetite stimulant anymore. Hopefully she is on the way to healing.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 228828 View attachment 228827
She is in the 24 hour vet facility now. They are really nice there but very expensive. I saw her for a minute. She chattered a little was scared from being transported but looked ok. The mobile vet said her I 131 dose was very very low and her discharge papers from the radiology vet say she can come home in another week and a half. The mobile vet has vet techs that can come to my home to do sub q fluids a couple extra times as needed. So now I have to clean house- LOL!!! Here are a couple pictures of her that the radiology vet took. She looks sleepy. I called last night to the 24 hour facility and she had eaten another whole bowl of food. I don't know if she will need the appetite stimulant anymore. Hopefully she is on the way to healing.
She was doing well but yesterday she really did not eat. She might need an appetite stimulant. I miss her. One more week before she comes home. I hope she is ok.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was doing well but yesterday she really did not eat. She might need an appetite stimulant. I miss her. One more week before she comes home. I hope she is ok.
Sometimes they feel a bit lonely when they are away from home. More, all that is around them is strange and unfamiliar.
She'll be fine, though.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope the appetite stimulant works and she is eating again soon. I need her well so I can focus on my own health and environmental sensitivity issues. I have been sick to my stomach and a runny nose this week. Allergy, viral or cat withdrawal syndrome!!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the appetite stimulant works and she is eating again soon. I need her well so I can focus on my own health and environmental sensitivity issues. I have been sick to my stomach and a runny nose this week. Allergy, viral or cat withdrawal syndrome!!!
How long hasn't she been eating? Did they tell you if she's lost any weight?
We can easily go downhill when our beloved cats are away. They are our medicine as much as we are theirs!
I'm sure that Tutu is dreaming of you when she sleeps.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long hasn't she been eating? Did they tell you if she's lost any weight?
We can easily go downhill when our beloved cats are away. They are our medicine as much as we are theirs!
I'm sure that Tutu is dreaming of you when she sleeps.
It has been 24hours. They gave her an appetite stimulant this morning. They are checking her blood work.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been 24hours. They gave her an appetite stimulant this morning. They are checking her blood work.
Hopefully she is just not eating due to stress in a new environment and not due to her inflammatory bowel disease, liver enzymes, or pancreatitis or kidney disease flaring up. They will check on all and her thyroid levels to be sure all is ok. I should know by tomorrow. She is on sub q fluids every other day and she got them today. Prayers for little Tutu.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed that they are able to give her sub-Qs and that can take blood from her during the isolation period
When my cat was in isolation I was told that the only thing they could do was to swap empty dishes with full ones, and change her litter tray. The staff wasn't allowed to handle pets during that period, that's why they wanted to be totally sure that all cats were fine at the moment of hospitalization.
Prayers for Tutu, let us know what the doctors say.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed that they are able to give her sub-Qs and that can take blood from her during the isolation period
When my cat was in isolation I was told that the only thing they could do was to swap empty dishes with full ones, and change her litter tray. The staff wasn't allowed to handle pets during that period, that's why they wanted to be totally sure that all cats were fine at the moment of hospitalization.
Prayers for Tutu, let us know what the doctors say.
The adenoma was caught early and was small so the I131 dose was very low. The first four days was extreme isolation with limited exposure at the radiology facility. She could have come home afterwards with short periods of exposure to pet and feed her but I have a parotid gland adenoma and I have to be careful so I chose to move her to a 24 hour facility. She is in a back area away from animals and people with limited exposure. I sent a brush, a bed and little blanket with her. The vet techs can be exposed a little to brush her which she loves, to give her her past with food, to change herblitter and put out her food and the veterinarian was able to check her and draw blood. She is in a period of limited exposure for another week and a half past the four days. The radiologist said she would be cleared for full contact after the fourteen days total so I guess her dose really was quite low to begin with. I am going to verify she is ok to clear her with the radiology vet that it is only fourteen days but that is what the release paperwork says. He usually clears the cat after sixteen days. I have a lot to do before she comes home, trying to get some help cleaning in my home as I am somewhat disabled and she doesn't like people in our home and to get errands done so I can be here and not leave the week she comes home. In the meantime my 94 year old mom has to have minor tooth surgery and I am praying nothing goes wrong for Tutu won't be able to fly with me back east to mom's home unless Tutu is stable from one to three months from the initial exposure. Good news Tutu ate after appetite stimulant was given. One more week to go. Whew!!!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess that the vet will test Tutu's radioactivity levels before releasing her.
When my cat was released they issued a paper that would certify that the cat was safe to go out, and the paper stated the level of radioactivity expressed in micro Sievert.
Good that she ate, we're waiting for the blood work.
Fingers crossed!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess that the vet will test Tutu's radioactivity levels before releasing her.
When my cat was released they issued a paper that would certify that the cat was safe to go out, and the paper stated the level of radioactivity expressed in micro Sievert.
Good that she ate, we're waiting for the blood work.
Fingers crossed!
I don't know if the 24 hour vet has a meter to check her levels. The radiology vet has been doing this for thirty years and likely knows that after four days if the cat was given her particular dose and now the cat reads at a particular level it will be a particular number of days more until the cat reaches background level and can be released without restrictions. I will double check with the radiology vet. But after four days the cat was read by him and able to come home so long as I didn't sleep with my cat and kept exposures limited and stored litter so now after two weeks the cat can sleep with me and I no longer have to store the litter or be careful. I bought a meter too to verify when the cat comes home that it is ok but I do trust the radiology vet is being cautious and he is very experienced, has written papers on the subject and told me about research from univ. of Iowa that proves the number of days needed to be cautious at particular doses given. The radiology vet also knows about my need for caution due to my own adenoma (tumor) so I doubt he would suggest something inappropriate. I have the paperwork from him with the date after which no precautions are necessary.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an amazing arrangement!
Your vet is doing a great job indeed and sounds like very prepared.

I also wanted to buy a meter, but I gave up when I learned that it's not easy to use them.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is an amazing arrangement!
Your vet is doing a great job indeed and sounds like very prepared.

I also wanted to buy a meter, but I gave up when I learned that it's not easy to use them.
I bought a little meter called Radex RD1503 from a company called
Less EMF. It is not hard to use just needs to take a few readings to get a proper average. I think you have to read background first then move toward what you want to read to see the difference. People in western US and Hawaii sometimes get this to check Pacific Ocean fish because of the Japanese unclear exposures affecting the ocean. You can ask less emf for recommendations on the meters they sell. This meter is $100.00. (US dollars). I have also bought an Acoustimeter from them to measure Radiofrequency in the past and also found a good other one which measures radiofrequency, electric fields and electromagnetic fields through stopsmartmeters.org recommendations and on Amazon.com. These are good for environmental concerns.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought a little meter called Radex RD1503 from a company called
Less EMF. It is not hard to use just need to take a few readings to get a proper average. I think you have to read background first then move toward what you want to read to see the difference. People in western US and Hawaii sometimes get this to check Pacific Ocean fish because of the Japanese nuclear exposures affecting the ocean. You can ask less emf for recommendations on the meters they sell. This meter is $100.00. (US dollars). I have also bought an Acoustimeter from them to measure Radiofrequency in the past and also found a good other one which measures radiofrequency, electric fields and electromagnetic fields through stopsmartmeters.org recommendations and on Amazon.com. These are good for environmental concerns.
I also asked my 24 hour vet about the two week release date and let him know I have a meter to borrow if he wants to measure the cat. I also asked if her blood work could affect the lab equipment or the measurements they make on her blood. I think I am just lucky my internal medicine vet is vigilant and caught the thyroid adenoma early so Tutu only had to have a low dose exposure. My internal medicine vet is out on medical leave and I hope she is ok and back soon. She is in a different location where there was no room for Tutu to recover with her exposures. I also like the facility where Tutu is now. The surgeon there is one I consulted with and very smart and nice. I am confident. In the meantime I myself was vibrated really hard at my home the other night and made ill. I have had 25 years of infrasound (low frequency vibration exposures) measured by engineers at my last home and harmonics measured by engineers at my present home and now with the smart meter exposures it is really hard on me physically. I hope we can rid of the smart meters on my block as I am asking for help soon from the Justice Dept. or we will have to move again.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just checked the web and Amazon store. You are lucky, because the same device is 250 euro here, that is 300 US dollars.
Regarding the meter - you can purchase on line from Less Emf.
Tutu is not doing well. We got her eating again but her thyroid which was not supposed to drop for a month has dropped from 4.6 to .7 in just one week so thank God I requested her blood be checked when she quit eating. They got her eating again with an appetite stimulant and determined to give sub q fluids daily rather than just every other day because her bun went up a lot to 50. Her creatinine is elevated also to 2.6. Her bun creatinine ratio is 20 which is ok. When the thyroid levels are too low the bun and creatinine can elevate - the kidneys need more blood flow which t4 helps provide for the kidneys to work correctly. Her pancreatitis also elevated - stress and not eating. The radiology vet will review her t4 tomorrow and determine if she needs a little thyroid medication till her thyroid takes over making more thyroid. The thyroid will eventually compensate for the missing bad cells eliminated by the I131 treatment. It is strange that her thyroid reacted this fast as it is supposed to take a month to see a difference. This worries me. I will talk to the radiology vet tomorrow and see what he says. He is off today. Prayers for Tutu requested. Thank you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they tell you the amount of radio iodine injected?
Just curious, I would like to compare it with what they injected in Pallina.

Of course prayers and fingers crossed for Tutu!!!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2.0 millicuries of radioactive iodine
It is supposed to be a low dose. What did Pallina get?
Tutu will come around, takes time for the thyroid to stabilize so we will sub q with fluids till it does and maybe she might need a bit of t4 but radiology dr. might want her thyroid to stabilize on its own. He said to wait a month so I will see what he says tomorrow. I think she will be better now that she is eating.