How to train kitten to listen to no? Or undestand what he is allowed to do?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That is lovely! He's sleeping on your bed. Let him own that space. He loves you and that's any he wants to be with you. I'm sure he is very happy that he can sleep on the bed. I'm happy for the both of you.
Yes, please check again what is that pill for.
You take care and also take good care of your kitten and give him all your love and he'll definitely love you back! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mau harry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it is for deworming :)

and his left eye now seems fine :3

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although is seem the whole thing has been resolved, after reading though the thread one point struck me that wasn't mentioned. I seems to me that you are getting raising a puppy and raising a kitten mixed up, with a puppy you do want to prevent it going on your bed if you don't want it there as an adult. Cats don't normally sleep in a cat bed at night, they sleep where it's warm (they are originally desert critters), dogs on the other hand can happily learn to sleep on their own bed. Also puppies need structure to learn how to be good dogs, kittens just need gentle guidance to learn right from wrong.

As of the biting your fingers, don't play with the kitten with your hands, always with a toy, otherwise you teach the kitten that hands are toys and you really don't want an adult cat thinking hands are toys.  Also if he does get your hand make a big deal about acting like it hurt, yelp and pull your hand away, he doesn't really want to hurt you but is also still learning. Kittens playing will test out bite force and attacks on each other, being an only kitten you need to teach him that kind of play is not acceptable with humans only with toys. One toy I found that my cats really love for the rough play is those kickeroos, you can even make your own it's basically just a small thin rectangular pillow with a tail that the cat can bite, sink their claws into and kick at.

robert mauro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read a scientific report that said you mustn't allow your kittie go sleep with
I think it referred to grown up ones but either way
The reporr said you shouldn't allow the kitten to sleep with you ar night or he'll always wake you up to play at night and you'll have sleeping problems

You say you let him sleep anywhere
I suppose you have years of experience so I'll ask you

Is it good to always let him sleep whers ever he wants?
Doesn't that mean he will see himself as a god
If he does everything he wants?
(Ancient Egypt :p )

And then I'll have problem stopping him?
I find such a report laughable. My previous cat (Shadow) wasn't allowed on the bed since he was a tiny kitten. He still needed to learn my sleep schedule. He did, in a month. He did sleep on the bed if I was upset about something or in a bad mood (at his insistence, which ended up being fine with me, as he'd pet me and hold my fingers with his paws), or if he was upset (in which case he'd make his "questioning" sound and do half reaches until I said yes or no... it was virtually always yes).

He rarely kept me up. Always slept or was quiet when I was sleeping.

My current 17 week old kitten has slept with me every night. When I move, he moves. He gets a drink once or so a night, but other than a couple minutes of purring and settling in if I do a big move (requiring him to do the same), he's quiet and let's me sleep. I even leave his jump toy hanging in the bedroom doorway (since his third night).

The key (for them) was to let them bond, treat them like really young humans (or puppies - but they both had those tendencies before I got them) and patiently show them what I meant. The flip side is, when they call me, I listen and respond and come to them too. Two way street.

As for the biting, I doubt it's biting, and suspect it's nibbling. Kittens teeth for a while. If he was trying to actually bite, his dagger like teeth could go through finger to bone. In this one, keep up with the toy replacements, but just like a human baby, the teething will continue.

Last edited: