How to train kitten to listen to no? Or undestand what he is allowed to do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mau harry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gèt what you mean but I try to stroke him when he doesn't play and when I see I will not annoy him
I talk slowly and calmly before stroking him in right spots (never his ears or belly or feet or tail)
On his head and across his spine till the base of his tail
And approx. 70%-80 % at the time it works but 20%-30% he tries to gnaw and grab my fingers or hand
He is indoor
He is 3 months old

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I read a scientific report that said you mustn't allow your kittie go sleep with
I think it referred to grown up ones but either way
The reporr said you shouldn't allow the kitten to sleep with you ar night or he'll always wake you up to play at night and you'll have sleeping problems

You say you let him sleep anywhere
I suppose you have years of experience so I'll ask you

Is it good to always let him sleep whers ever he wants?
Doesn't that mean he will see himself as a god
If he does everything he wants?
(Ancient Egypt :p )

And then I'll have problem stopping him?
I presume you are asking me this question. I think the report is not scientific as my boy sleeps with me and he never wakes me up to play and I don't have sleeping problems. Many here sleep with their cats in bed, some 2, some 3, some 4 and some more cats than that. To make sure your cat sleep well in the night is to play with him till he gets tired before going to bed. My boy wakes up in the middle of and sleep on the floor and then comes up to the bed again and he never disturbs me.
Yes, I let my boy do whatever he wants with supervision and let him sleep anywhere he likes in the day but at night he sleeps with me on the bed. He does not see himself as a god, but if you think he is then he is. But I treat my boy as the king of the house.
It's just that cats are like this. We do things on their terms. Best way to get along with them. Like I said, they are inquisitive, let them explore and once they get use to it, they won't be that exited over it.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I gèt what you mean but I try to stroke him when he doesn't play and when I see I will not annoy him
I talk slowly and calmly before stroking him in right spots (never his ears or belly or feet or tail)
And approx. 70%-80 % at the time it works but 20%-30% he tries to gnaw and grab my fingers or hand
He is indoor
He is 3 months old
Like I said, it's on their terms. My boy is the same. Sometimes I pat his tummy, he turns around and grab my hands and bite and I just say no and I walk away. Some cats don't like to be touched at certain spots or part of their bodies. So just avoid those areas and touch or carry them when they are in a better mood. Not all cats are the same. Some are lap cats and some are not. So don't be discouraged if your cat is not what you expected him to be. I thought my boy would be a lap cat and I wish he were but he's not, but I still love him as much.
3 months old is still very young. He'll still be very playful but it's good to teach when he is young. Key to it is lots of love and patience.

mau harry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday night I accidentally hit his left eye with a rubber toy
And I am angry with myself for that

His left eye now closes a little bit more than his right one
And when he closes his eyes to relax or sleep he
First closes his left eye and then his right.

I hope he is okay and his eye will be well again

Anyone had such experience?

Should I ask this question on another section?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I cite another example about my boy. Whenever I prepare his meal on the couter top, he'll jump up, which I allow him to and while I'm scooping out his food from the can, he'll start eating before I can finish scooping all onto his plate. So I spoke to him nicely and just put my hand across his chest and say no, you wait. And I said, go wait at the corner while clicking my fingers and pointing to the corner of the counter. I did this for a week or so and now he got the idea. Now I don't even have to talk to him, I just click my fingers and point to the corner and he'll go lie down till he hear the can cover scrapping the spoon and he'll jump down and wait for his food.

And here he is sleeping on his pillow on my bed

Last edited:

mau harry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tabby Tom your boy is so beautiful btw

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yesterday night I accidentally hit his left eye with a rubber toy
And I am angry with myself for that

His left eye now closes a little bit more than his right one
And when he closes his eyes to relax or sleep he
First closes his left eye and then his right.

I hope he is okay and his eye will be well again

Anyone had such experience?

Should I ask this question on another section?
You have to observe his eyes for a day or so. If he still have problem closing or abnormal colors are showing or tearing in the eye, then I would suggest that you bring him in to the vet for a check. Just in case his eye was really hurt by the toy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is indoor
He is 3 months old
I have a little cat who as a kitten wanted to be next to me every night. A few times, as a kitten, she tried to play at night. But I ignored her and she learned. Now she sleeps curled up next to me soundly through the night probably 50% of the time. The other 50% she sleeps elsewhere. My male is the same. He tried to wake me to play a few times as a kitten. But he learned I won't play at night. The nights he sleeps with me now he will go get toys to play with in the middle of the night but leaves me to sleep. You will find "scientific" papers for and against pets sleeping with you. Honestly, its whatever the researchers agenda is most of the time.

There is no right scientific way to pet a cat. My girl wants every inch of her pet and rubbed. She will walk past and when you reach her tail lets out a squeak and turns around so you start at her head again. When shes laying down you better rub the tummy too or she will tell you off. My boy? Don't touch anything beyond the head or you will get a warning nip. Despite that I still touch him past his head from time to time because he needs to not lash out immediately so when we are at the vet the vet can examine him.

To the biting. All kitten nibble on fingers. You are doing right to say no and offer a toy instead. For me, when I was playing with mine as kittens if they bit or scratched me I would yell no and act really hurt then get up or turn my back on them. Count to 10 and resume play. If it happens again exaggerated response and remove play then play again. Cats don't understand punishment but they do understand loss of play (they also have short attention spans as kittens so you return quickly to show the remove is tied to the action and not just a random thing). As adults all of mine are very careful with play when humans are near to not bit or scratch. They learned that biting or scratching humans removed the fun.

The basic point I think everyone is saying is that you need patience and don't physically punish a cat ever. They don't understand punishment. It does nothing but scare them. They understand attention, rewards and repeated behaviors.

Last edited:

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is 3 months old
When my cat was 3 months old, he was darting around like a New Year's Eve rocket gone astray. That's why his former mama called him Turbo. Within a year, he turned around completely and became a very laid-back and well-behaving cat. Let kids be kids - they will grow out of it.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhat off topic, but I wanted to ask TabbyTom if your handsome cat is any particular breed. The long ears indicate to me that he might be something else than a regular domestic shorthair, but I could be wrong. Thank you.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Somewhat off topic, but I wanted to ask TabbyTom if your handsome cat is any particular breed. The long ears indicate to me that he might be something else than a regular domestic shorthair, but I could be wrong. Thank you.
Hi ReallySleepy, my boy is a regular DSH Brown Mackerel Tabby. He does has big ears which is loved by many site members here which I love too [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Mau Harry Cats are not children. If you let the kitten sleep in/on your bed will not make it depedent on you.

You've got this completely wrong. By letting the kitten sleep on your bed it will become strong and independent because it will be free from anxiety because it is not forced to be alone. Cats are social beings. Leaving the kitten to cope alone is just plain mean :(

Please please don't do that, you are hurting the kitten by making it sad to be alone.

Last edited:

mau harry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Mau Harry Cats are not children. If you let the kitten sleep in/on your bed will not make it depedent on you.

You've got this completely wrong. By letting the kitten sleep on your bed it will become strong and independent because it will be free from anxiety because it is not forced to be alone. Cats are social beings. Leaving the kitten to cope alone is just plain mean :(

Please please don't do that, you are hurting the kitten by making it sad to be alone.
Sorry for making you believe I am actually mean
In reality I only did it for one or two days cause I got
Stressed all over

That's why I asked for help cause I sense I was wrong
And I cried when I notice that in my stress
I actually was mean to him
And felt really bad forr grabbing him and shaking hin
And I still feel that way but I stopped now

Now he is sleeping peacefully on my bed
I gave him half of the pill the vet gave me

And he seems fine now

Look at him

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What pill did you give him? What did the vet recommend the pill for?

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful Mau Harry!! So happy you could do this :)

I must have missed something, why is he getting a pill?

Last edited:

mau harry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can't remember right now
I remember he gave spray for fleas
An injection for an illness
Sorry I was so stressed I couldn't understand what it was for but is was important

Fortunately with me was
my brother who knows and he advised me to
Do a treatment for better safe than sorry

And also the vet gave me a pill and told me
Sol must take half one day and half the other day

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can't remember right now
I remember he gave spray for fleas
An injection for an illness
Sorry I was so stressed I couldn't understand what it was for but is was important

Fortunately with me was
my brother who knows and he advised me to
Do a treatment for better safe than sorry

And also the vet gave me a pill and told me
Sol must take half one day and half the other day
Please find out from your brother or the vet what he was given. It's important to know. Is the pill for deworming?

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, sounds exactly like deworming. No worries. I think you and your kitty are on the right track. Thank you for the pics, he is a stunningly beautiful boy! Please post more questions if things come up you're not sure about.