How to stop a cat from kneading?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... Moms cat kneaded me earlier; made some quality biscuits and purred so hard he looked blurry. (Or maybe it was the heat and the fact I need glasses but cannot afford them?) He's never done that to me before. It hurt but...when I moved his paws the third time? He was a little more gentle. ...
^^^ THIS!!! ^^^ :yeah: ^^^ DO THIS!!! ^^^

Do it EVERY TIME the cat kneads on you. Do it the INSTANT the cat claws you harder than you like.

Do it EACH TIME... Do it EVERY TIME... Do it ALL OF THE TIME.

You can say, "Ouch!" or you can say, "No claws!"
You don't have to yell. Just say it regular-like.

When the cat does what you ask, pet him and say, "Good kitty!"
Give him a kitty cookie if you want to.

Keep it up, be consistent and don't quit.

The cat WILL learn!

It might take a bit of time for the cat to catch on. I've seen some cats learn after one or two tries. I seen some that take a couple-few weeks. Every cat is different and takes a different amount of time to learn new things but virtually EVERY cat can and will learn if you are patient enough.

Excellent observation on your part! Kudos! :)

... A fishtank would be lovely someday when I am able to dump thousands of dollars into the hobby ...
You can pick up a used fish tank, for cheaps, at a thrift store.
Get an air bubbler, some fake plants and a couple of moss balls. If you want, you can get one of those little, fake pirate ships or a castle.

Get a Siamese Fighting Fish. They're cheap and easy to care for. They look cool, too! :cool:
Feed it once a day. If you happen to catch a stray housefly, toss it in there and watch the fish go for it.

As long as the fish has a place to hide, it'll make good entertainment for the cat.

Shop wisely and you could spend fifty bucks or less on the whole thing.

... I thought that was normal? The eggshells I mean. ...
No, it's not normal. You don't have to ask me how I know. :(

... Honestly once I move out, unless grandma dies, I am checking out of this family. ...
I probably wouldn't disagree with you if you did.

... I need to go hug that cat more, honestly. ...
Wise move! It'll probably do you BOTH a bit of good! ;)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
^^^ THIS!!! ^^^ :yeah: ^^^ DO THIS!!! ^^^

Do it EVERY TIME the cat kneads on you. Do it the INSTANT the cat claws you harder than you like.

Do it EACH TIME... Do it EVERY TIME... Do it ALL OF THE TIME.

You can say, "Ouch!" or you can say, "No claws!"
You don't have to yell. Just say it regular-like.

When the cat does what you ask, pet him and say, "Good kitty!"
Give him a kitty cookie if you want to.

Keep it up, be consistent and don't quit.

The cat WILL learn!

It might take a bit of time for the cat to catch on. I've seen some cats learn after one or two tries. I seen some that take a couple-few weeks. Every cat is different and takes a different amount of time to learn new things but virtually EVERY cat can and will learn if you are patient enough.

Excellent observation on your part! Kudos! :)

You can pick up a used fish tank, for cheaps, at a thrift store.
Get an air bubbler, some fake plants and a couple of moss balls. If you want, you can get one of those little, fake pirate ships or a castle.

Get a Siamese Fighting Fish. They're cheap and easy to care for. They look cool, too! :cool:
Feed it once a day. If you happen to catch a stray housefly, toss it in there and watch the fish go for it.

As long as the fish has a place to hide, it'll make good entertainment for the cat.

Shop wisely and you could spend fifty bucks or less on the whole thing.

No, it's not normal. You don't have to ask me how I know. :(

I probably wouldn't disagree with you if you did.

Wise move! It'll probably do you BOTH a bit of good! ;)

Yeah I'll try and keep mom doing it; remember it's not *me* who has a problem with it. (This thread wouldn't exist beyond 'How long could it take for him to get it?' Cause I am patient about it since my stubborn as hell Tortie understands it, he likely will too.) And mom's the type where she wants her desired result and perfection right off the bat; no exceptions.

Yeah. I'll have to wait until my guinea pigs pass to make room for a tank but totally gonna look into second-hand for it.

Honestly walking and egg-shells is the norm here; I've learned to walk without making sound and to have an excuse and reason for everything. (And to keep a bag semi-packed at all times; thankfully at this point it's just used to family trips but as a pre-teen-mid teen, I'd use it to go to a friends house and crash on his bedroom floor.)

Nobody really would if I'm being honest. I love my family but the best times we get along are when we're in different houses miles apart.

I put a bandanna on him and he a handsome boi.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will work faster...a LOT faster...if everybody participates in teaching the cat how to behave.

If one person does it but not the other, it confuses the cat. Cats have the intelligence of a three year old kid.

Consistency is the key.

When it come to talking about family life, it’s hard.

It’s not right for me, as an adult, to give such advice to a teenager when we don’t know each other. However, I can tell you to hang in there. Play it straight until you are old enough to make your own decisions. Learn to be a responsible adult even if other adults around you aren’t responsible, themselves. Go to school, get a job and all that other stuff that adults prattle on about when talking to younger people. When the time is right to make your own life decisions, do what you think is right.

I went through some pretty messed up things when I was young. I can’t talk about it, here, but let’s just say things were hard, growing up.

Know that you are not alone. You’re probably not crazy. Sometimes life can feel like you are trapped in a House of Mirrors.

The best revenge in life is to be a success.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept fish when was about ten years old. I had a big community tank with all kinds of colorful fish.

Then I got a Firemouth Cichlid but nobody told me that it would eat all the other fish so I had to move it to another tank. Thats when I got the idea to make a natural tank that didn’t use a filter.

If you put in the right live plants and keep the fish in balance, you don’t need a filter. Just keep the tank clean and scoop out part of the water and replace with fresh water every week.

That’s just the way I think about aquarium keeping, now.

I had a male betta in a natural tank for over a year before he went belly up. It was just the regular pet store variety of fish so that’s a good run, I suppose.

I think he got sick because I didn‘t feed him enough real insects. Just pre-packaged pellets. I think he got “stopped up” and couldn’t digest food. Feeding mashed up green peas didn’t work, probably because I didn’t get to it in time.

But a year is a good run for a pet store variety fish. Right?
They undergo a lot of stress, living in those little cups on dingy shelves, and it takes a lot out of them.

I got a Siamese Fighting Fish to entertain Casper. He used to spend hours watching it.

As long as you make sure that there are enough plants and rocks and things for the fish to have good hiding places, a cat can’t hurt a male betta fish.

Also make sure the fish tank is in a place where the cat can’t knock it over.

If you’re worried about the cat getting in, just put a clear, Plexiglass cover on the tank.

Most cats won’t go more than “paws deep” in water, anyhow.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
It will work faster...a LOT faster...if everybody participates in teaching the cat how to behave.

If one person does it but not the other, it confuses the cat. Cats have the intelligence of a three year old kid.

Consistency is the key.

When it come to talking about family life, it’s hard.

It’s not right for me, as an adult, to give such advice to a teenager when we don’t know each other. However, I can tell you to hang in there. Play it straight until you are old enough to make your own decisions. Learn to be a responsible adult even if other adults around you aren’t responsible, themselves. Go to school, get a job and all that other stuff that adults prattle on about when talking to younger people. When the time is right to make your own life decisions, do what you think is right.

I went through some pretty messed up things when I was young. I can’t talk about it, here, but let’s just say things were hard, growing up.

Know that you are not alone. You’re probably not crazy. Sometimes life can feel like you are trapped in a House of Mirrors.

The best revenge in life is to be a success.

Teenager? Dude I'm 25. Life's just not on my side about things right now. I've been looking for work since 19 and nobody will hire me because they can't take advantage of me like they do my now 19YO brother and cannot afford to go back to school.

Back to the cat...

He usually doesn't knead me or anybody besides mom which is where the issue is. Currently, me getting him to be gentle is "Be gentle with me". Mom doesn't stick to it so of course he's not gentle with her. (Such a good boy tho.)

I love this site. I do. If I AM crazy I'm not the only one!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teenager? Dude I'm 25. Life's just not on my side about things right now. I've been looking for work since 19 and nobody will hire me because they can't take advantage of me like they do my now 19YO brother and cannot afford to go back to school.

Back to the cat...

He usually doesn't knead me or anybody besides mom which is where the issue is. Currently, me getting him to be gentle is "Be gentle with me". Mom doesn't stick to it so of course he's not gentle with her. (Such a good boy tho.)

I love this site. I do. If I AM crazy I'm not the only one!
Try a temp agency. They can get you in the door at different places and you can maybe find some place that will make it full time. I turned a 2 day temp job into a 25 year ( and still counting) career in a job that I would have never thought to apply for!!

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Try a temp agency. They can get you in the door at different places and you can maybe find some place that will make it full time. I turned a 2 day temp job into a 25 year ( and still counting) career in a job that I would have never thought to apply for!!

I've been through 3 and none of them helped.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
as a pre-teen-mid teen,
The way this was phrased made me think you were that young too, but I wandered through some earlier posts, and saw you'd mentioned earlier about being 25.

Just pre-packaged pellets. I think he got “stopped up” and couldn’t digest food. Feeding mashed up green peas didn’t work, probably because I didn’t get to it in time.
Some manufacturers are making better, more betta appropriate food nowadays, including one that has fly larvae in it :) A note, if you use a mirror and get them to flare at their reflection or if they're like one of my boys, he'll flare at just about anything, it frequently helps them to poop (getting them to flare is considered by some to be better than the pea method) :thumbsup:

...you don't think the draftstopper I mentioned above would work? You commented the cats have been trained to not touch cloth, however this just might be different enough that it would work.
1598049650005.png

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember when doing temp work, you work for the agency, not the place where you are assigned. That means, if it doesn’t work out, you can ask to be reassigned to another job.

As long as your attendance is good and you don’t have any black marks on your record, your agency should be happy to put you into another job. Temp agencies make money by putting people in jobs.

I got my current job through a temp agency. I had been assigned to two different places before this last one. The first two weren’t very good. One was in a factory running a production line. It was a real sweat shop. The other was in a food processing plant. It was only a little better than the one before. I finally went to the guy at my agency and asked for something else and he put me in the place where I work, now. I did my 90 day probation period and I got hired in a short time later.

I’ve been there for almost a year, now and Casper’s Girl-Human is temping there, too. She’s got another month to go and she’ll be hired in, as well.

The great thing is that it’s only about a half mile away from my house. We can walk to work when the weather is nice!

The moral of the story is don’t give up.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... if you use a mirror and get them to flare at their reflection or if they're like one of my boys, he'll flare at just about anything, it frequently helps them to poop (getting them to flare is considered by some to be better than the pea method) :thumbsup:
I will try to remember that!

Wish I had known that sooner!

I might get another fish for Casper but we sent the tank to the thrift store.
(Hence, the comment about getting fish tanks for cheaps at a thrift store.)

Maybe some day....