How to stop a cat from kneading?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The claw caps already mentioned do not have to be put on by a vet. You can glue them on yourself. They will naturally fall off about six weeks later, and then you can trim the claws and reapply another set. They aren't expensive.

Soft Paws

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Soft Paws (or any of the knockoffs that are readily available) are pretty easy to apply yourself if the cat is cooperative. Give that a try.

Now, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a cat going outside with Soft Paws on, but it's definitely better than a de-clawed cat going outside, as I'm pretty sure they can still climb trees with Soft Paws (the claws won't hook into the wood but they can still grip the sides of the tree). You can threaten him with pink, or sparkles :D.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was torn between 'cat health' and 'cat behavior' so if this isn't right, forgive me.

Ok so my mom HATES when her cat kneads her. With a fiery passion. We're talking screaming obscenities at him for doing it, refusing to give him any attention, ect. (For some unknown reason, said cat is obsessed with her and is never more than 2 feet away.)

Declawing cats is against the law here unless it's for a medical reason. (A local cat rescue got a cat that had it's paws badly burnt due to hot pavement and it was so bad that they had to amputate toes and declaw the remaining because the skin was being torn open by them.) BUT the vet WILL do it if you pay *read bribe* him enough to do it.

My mother called for a price and is saying that unless he stops kneading her, she's getting him declawed. It gets worse, though...

We refuse to have solid indoor cats; our cats do their business and spend most days and many nights exploring our yard and doing cat stuff; especially when the weather is this nice. They come in to eat or catch some Z's but then they're back at the door to go out. There's also a huge stray and feral population in my area; most of which are Toms that love to target my female cat. (She's spayed, no worries. And has blinded a few males in her time.) Moms cat is 20 pound male who pretty well defends her. So he needs his claws.
ask your mom how she would like having all her finger and toe nails yanked out ?or toes and fingers cut off thats pretty much the same thing declawing a cat imo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Soft Paws (or any of the knockoffs that are readily available) are pretty easy to apply yourself if the cat is cooperative. Give that a try.

Now, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a cat going outside with Soft Paws on, but it's definitely better than a de-clawed cat going outside, as I'm pretty sure they can still climb trees with Soft Paws (the claws won't hook into the wood but they can still grip the sides of the tree). You can threaten him with pink, or sparkles :D.
Honestly that'd only make him cuter. I had to put him in a dress to keep him from ripping his stitches out after getting fixed.

If there was a humane way to declaw (like they could remove them or cut them to where they won't regrow without damaging the paws like they do) I'd be like "Yeah go for it; save us money on scratching posts." But that would require a cat that likes being inside and who isn't a pain in the butt 24/7/365 and in my 25 years that has never happened.

People ask why I like dogs so much and I just remind them that when I had *just* dogs, not dogs and cats, I actually slept and enjoyed life because I had energy to do stuff. Now I resolve to staying up all night making sure my cat doesn't meow, vomit, revenge poop, or summon a demon...That is one thing I can say I am jealous of with moms cat; he's generally quiet and easy to live with.

Moms cat sleeps 24/7 and eats probably 50 times a day. (Vet says that he's healthy; just a feline version of 'The Rock' cause he's basically all muscle.) He just needs to keep his tanners in....

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
The claw caps already mentioned do not have to be put on by a vet. You can glue them on yourself. They will naturally fall off about six weeks later, and then you can trim the claws and reapply another set. They aren't expensive.

Soft Paws

Yeah...that's too much stress and work for it to not be a permanent solution. Touch this cats paws. You will lose your face. (20-25 pounds of muscle raised on the street has no chill when his paws are touched.) And mine will bite into your neck and not let go unless you pry her jaws open. (5 pounds of psychotic murderer when the mood strikes. But...it'd be a cute death?)

Also do you really think I am asking for *mom*? Nah. Any care or work the animals need is on ME. Usually it's fine because cats don't give a shit and do as they please. But his kneading behavior is only for my mom. And I can't fix it for her because of that.

Literally it's "My animal does something I don't like. Make it stop or I'm having it put down." Said behavior is usually harmless such as the kneading or a direct result of her not bothering to learn to care for the animal like we saw with that demonic beast known as the rabbit. (Who after 8 years of terrorizing us got rehomed and is doing great and is a whole new bun cause her owners knew what to do.) But it's always me who has to fix the issues cause 'animals like me more'. (Yeah cause even when I lose my temper and put them outside, I take the time to know them and understand them.) Also if she doesn't want messed up animals why bother with rescues when backyard breeders are still a thing? One cat we had from a BYB lived 18 years in almost perfect health with no major issues. Meanwhile all our rescues have been problematic and had health problems. I don't agree with BYB but they ARE an option in the area and they're a hell of a lot cheaper. (Another complaint is "I got the animal fixed and buy it food! I shouldn't have to spend any more money on it!" She says as she buys him more toys than there are grains of rice.)

If kneading is her only issue with him after a YEAR of having him, honestly she should be happy. Most cats we get have a novels worth of issues within the first six months. He's a good boy; just loves a little too hard is all.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although Casper is THE most well behaved cat I have ever had, he still does a few “cat things” that are annoying to me.

Casper likes to sleep in bed with his Girl-Human but I have never been one to sleep in bed with animals. I was never allowed to have pets in bed when I was a kid so I never got used to the idea. It just feels “wrong” to me. But Casper is a good cat so I just go along with it.

If Casper sleeps down, by the foot of the bed I am able to sleep without disturbance. However, he loves his Girl-Human and wants to sleep right next to her. When he does that, I get annoyed and can’t sleep. I COULD just shoo him out of bed but that would make him just want to do it more. Instead, I have a sneaky way to handle it.

Casper isn’t a “cuddly” cat. He likes to lay NEXT TO you but he doesn’t like to snuggle very much. Maybe he’ll put up with it for a minute or two but, after that, he gets antsy and leaves.

That’s my secret weapon!

When Casper gets too close for comfort, I just snuggle up to him, real close, and he goes, “Ick! Cooties!” then he gets up and goes to Girl-Human’s side of the bed.

Problem solved by reverse psychology! ;)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I resolve to staying up all night making sure my cat doesn't meow, vomit, revenge poop, or summon a demon
This is really a very wrong way of describing life with a cat..

They do not "revenge poop"... If they are pooping outside the litter box, there is a reason for it... most likely medically or the box is not clean or they do not like the brand of litter.. Please change your thinking on this.. do some research...

They do not vomit without a medical reason for it: even furballs cause vomiting, and can be controlled with the correct food and laxatone... and brushing.

Cat do not "summon demons". If your cat is meowing at night, there is a reason for it.. leave some food and some toys out... allow your cat to cuddle with you in bed.. Your cat is probably lonely at night.

If your cat is continually vomiting, missing the litter box, you need a Vet visit~~ something is wrong..

It sounds as if your cat and your moms cat are both starving for love and attention. Your mom is not providing enough love. You cannot provide love by yelling and swearing at a cat, physical and emotional punishment.

Seriously; you are always commenting you are not a cat person... They why do you have the cat? and why does your mother have a cat?

Honestly, at this point, I think both cats would be better off at the humane society, where they can find a loving home, with loving, caring people....

sorry, but I had to say this...

My current cat was abused.. I am not saying he was completely physically abused, but there are many scars which I have been working on healing---and successfully, over time.

My gut feeling is that he was reprimanded constantly for 'normal cat behavior'. This in turn, caused him to be very fearful and untrusting of many things. He freaks out, goes frozen when he is at the Vets, or picked up, his claws touched, a towel is open and being folded. He has such bad memories of what occurred with him. Not normal cat traits. It has taken a ton of patience, time, and love, to allow him to find his 'catness". I am fully aware of what the opposite side of the coin is, with regard to discipline.

Your mom's cat sounds like such a sweet baby.. wanting love.. and security..
He needs patience...
You have gotten a ton of suggestions here.

I think the redirection, gently with a pillow, or a towel or even a large stuffed animal, would be the best thing for your mom to do... yelling, swearing, swatting, will not work... and get his nails trimmed!!!

Cats also need to use scratching posts for their nails, and periodic nail trimming.

Please do not declaw.... especially if the cat is an outdoors cat... He needs to protect himself from dangers..

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Although Casper is THE most well behaved cat I have ever had, he still does a few “cat things” that are annoying to me.

Casper likes to sleep in bed with his Girl-Human but I have never been one to sleep in bed with animals. I was never allowed to have pets in bed when I was a kid so I never got used to the idea. It just feels “wrong” to me. But Casper is a good cat so I just go along with it.

If Casper sleeps down, by the foot of the bed I am able to sleep without disturbance. However, he loves his Girl-Human and wants to sleep right next to her. When he does that, I get annoyed and can’t sleep. I COULD just shoo him out of bed but that would make him just want to do it more. Instead, I have a sneaky way to handle it.

Casper isn’t a “cuddly” cat. He likes to lay NEXT TO you but he doesn’t like to snuggle very much. Maybe he’ll put up with it for a minute or two but, after that, he gets antsy and leaves.

That’s my secret weapon!

When Casper gets too close for comfort, I just snuggle up to him, real close, and he goes, “Ick! Cooties!” then he gets up and goes to Girl-Human’s side of the bed.

Problem solved by reverse psychology! ;)
I do that with mine, too. Although I would really like it if she stayed when cuddled; she's so tiny that it's no different than a stuffed animal.

But alas the cat that's virtually glued to be otherwise doesn't appreciate the snuggles.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Socratic Method:

Why would a cat behave like that?

How can we use that behavior to entice a cat to do what we want it to?

Cats can be sneaky, little bastards, sometimes.

We might need to think like sneaky bastards, ourselves, in order to outsneak the sneak.

;) ;) ;)

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Socratic Method:

Why would a cat behave like that?

How can we use that behavior to entice a cat to do what we want it to?

Cats can be sneaky, little bastards, sometimes.

We might need to think like sneaky bastards, ourselves, in order to outsneak the sneak.

;) ;) ;)

Yeah that is true.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
So.... How do you outsneak your sneaky, little cat?

Behaviors I WANT (or don't mind) her to have: I set it up for her to do it. Want her to sleep in a specific place? There will be a suspicious amount of space, her favorite pillow case, or an item of my clothing there; out of place but accessible. (It's slowly keeping her from getting into things.) Want her to eat in a certain spot or from a specific dish? Put only food she likes in it, make a show of driving moms cat away.

Behaviors I DON'T want: Basically yell, make noise, push her away. (Works sometimes but she's not afraid of me like she is my family; I'd have to actually cause her harm for this to be as effective.) I've taken to putting double-sided tape, those stick-on floor tiles sticky side up, and even a glue board where I don't want her. (I also have a spray gun for when I am too lazy to get up.) I also ignore her constant meowing.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re getting the hang of it.

For the wanted behaviors, you’re pretty much right on the mark.

For the unwanted behaviors, you need to turn the situation around to make it sort of like the way you do for the wanted ones but in reverse.

In other words, make it so the cat thinks it’s better NOT to do the thing you don’t want.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure being yelled at, pushed away, sprayed and getting stuck to things makes it clear though. But my girl is so stubborn...I swear she would jump into a fire just because I said not to.

Moms cat is well behaved but his kneading is an issue. (Apparently. Like he lets you rub his belly and will play like a dog but because he loves a little too hard, you wanna declaw him?)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
... (please note, not suggesting/advising declawing) ...

Granted, a 20-25 pound cat is going to have a pretty darn strong set of paws and claws... I just wish he'd listen and use his pillow!

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
... (please note, not suggesting/advising declawing) ...

Granted, a 20-25 pound cat is going to have a pretty darn strong set of paws and claws... I just wish he'd listen and use his pillow!
Me too! He's got the grip of a bear trap! (And the crows and ravens in our yard don't mess with him and they're a rowdy bunch.)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Say, I'm just thinking out loud --and I apologise if you mentioned it already, but would a little catnip rubbed on the pillow help redirect him?

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Say, I'm just thinking out loud --and I apologise if you mentioned it already, but would a little catnip rubbed on the pillow help redirect him?

That works to get him to sleep on it. But he will only knead mom; not his pillow or anything else. (Ironically because she taught him it was 'bad' because he'd disfigure the fabric.)