How many different breeds do we have here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my Brits do that! They just look like roadkills..
Just Oz Brits then

Abyssinian

British Shorthair
Egyptian Mau
Manx
Ocicat
Oriental
Russian Blue

Scottish Fold
Siamese

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View media item 139022
My pet-quality, and very FAT, Scottish Fold at 6 months old today. l signed his registration when l bought him, and the breeder will send me his papers when he is neutered (in 2 days). He has masc.-ed out nicely in the last few weeks, he looks like an adult now.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just Oz Brits then :lol3:

Abyssinian
British Shorthair

Egyptian Mau

Manx

Ocicat

Oriental

Russian Blue
Scottish Fold

Siamese
Ragdoll?? Or he doesn't count because he didn't come directly from the breeder, but from the rescue? He is papered/registered all the same, even though he is non-standard..... :think:

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My pet-quality, and very FAT, Scottish Fold at 6 months old today. l signed his registration when l bought him, and the breeder will send me his papers when he is neutered (in 2 days). He has masc.-ed out nicely in the last few weeks, he looks like an adult now.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great photo showing the smoke colouring Andrya

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rhys thanks you both :)

He is SO difficult to photograph!

His underbelly really is that grey spotted colour but the rest of him is black, but if l use a flash, he looks tabby, even on his back!

He's such a sweeyheart - if he gets any more docile after his neuter, l'll have to check his pulse.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ragdoll??
Must have missed your post. Extremely unusual for a breeder to retire and place cats with a rescue, I don't know any who would even consider that to be appropriate. At least she handed papers over I suppose so the new owners could have them transferred into their names.

Along with HCM good breeders also screen for MPSM.

Abyssinian

British Shorthair
Egyptian Mau
Manx
Ocicat
Oriental

Ragdoll
Russian Blue

Scottish Fold
Siamese

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Must have missed your post. Extremely unusual for a breeder to retire and place cats with a rescue, I don't know any who would even consider that to be appropriate. At least she handed papers over I suppose so the new owners could have them transferred into their names.
Along with HCM good breeders also screen for MPSM.
Yes, I believe it is unusual, but the breeder was long time friends with the rescuer, and the rescue is a well stablished rescue here in Texas. They keep very good track of the cats they adopt out, and I have a VERY extensive contract on Bugsy, the same contract you would expect from the breeder.
I checked the breeder, and she was definitely not a BYB. She was around for a very long time, with very good lines.... She was in the show circuit for a very long time too, and her cats did very very well. I do not know why she retired, nor did I ask. I am sure it wasn't an easy decision.... It was during the hard economy times in here, and a lot of people were in extremely bad shape. SO many people lost their jobs, their homes.... I didn't ask why, I am sure she did what was best for the cats.... I wouldn't be indiscrete.
Since responsible breeding is a hobby, not a business for profit, I believe she probably was in some serious financial trouble for other reasons, I don't know. When I got Bugsy I was rescuing a cat.... and he turned out to be the love of my life.... Sure I did my research on the breeder because I wanted to know his background especially in regards to his health..... But he fits all I was looking for - he is, and will always be, the love of my life :heart3:
She is still involved with rescue and shows, mentoring, etc. She hasn't completely left the scene.
I will ask about the scans you said, thanks.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Merlin is my ruddy abyssinian. He's not quite up to show standards, although his breeder has given me permission to show him. Mostly it's just for fun, but he has made 2 finals in the 3 years I've been showing him. :clap:
If he made it up to finals he is clearly better than pet quality, although perhaps no show winner.  They dont go up just because they are alone in their breed.  They perhaps get their Excellents if they are decent, and Ex1 if they are alone. But they dont get the Certificate (=are stopped) if they arent good for certificate.  "Drawn Certificate", I think they call it.  And of course, they arent send to finale either.
The judge is NOT forced to give them top grades just because there is no competition.
At least, that is so in Fife, the big European association.
When I bought him I asked the breeder why he isn't show quality. She said the only issue is that his color is not dark enough. The judges love his ears and head, and he is getting darker as he gets older, so he may start earning more points. He has some really stiff competition in this Region, though. Anyway, he's still 51 points short of the 75 he needs to make Grand Premier.

BTW, Merlin is the cat in my avatar. :)

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I believe it is unusual, but the breeder was long time friends with the rescuer, and the rescue is a well stablished rescue here in Texas. They keep very good track of the cats they adopt out, and I have a VERY extensive contract on Bugsy, the same contract you would expect from the breeder.
I checked the breeder, and she was definitely not a BYB. She was around for a very long time, with very good lines.... She was in the show circuit for a very long time too, and her cats did very very well. I do not know why she retired, nor did I ask. I am sure it wasn't an easy decision.... It was during the hard economy times in here, and a lot of people were in extremely bad shape. I wouldn't be indiscreet.
Since responsible breeding is a hobby, not a business for profit, I believe she probsbly was in some serious financial trouble for other reasons, I don't know.
She is still involved with rescue and shows, mentoring, etc. She hasn't completely left the scene completely.
I will ask about the scans you said, thanks.
She is beautiful, wow!

Just for fun, you could probably trace Bugsy back, it sounds like there are enough things to get started if you are interested in finding out more.  If the rescuer would provide a name, (they may not be able to for confidentiality reasons), you could at least start there. 

I want to pick her up and hug her as well
  Can I borrow her over the 'puter just for the afternoon?  Please?  Pretty please with sugar on top?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful, wow!

Just for fun, you could probably trace Bugsy back, it sounds like there are enough things to get started if you are interested in finding out more.  If the rescuer would provide a name, (they may not be able to for confidentiality reasons), you could at least start there. 

I want to pick her up and hug her as well :9:   Can I borrow her over the 'puter just for the afternoon?  Please?  Pretty please with sugar on top?
Thank you :hugs: For me he is gorgeous too! :love: Haha, Oh yes, I know the breeder..... I have the contact..... I have spoken to her.... I have pictures of baby Bugsy from the catery - of course he was not called Bugsy..... :lol3:
I can trace his background.... I suppose I can have some fun with that :lol:

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you
For me he is gorgeous too!
Haha, Oh yes, I know the breeder..... I have the contact..... I have spoken to her.... I have pictures of baby Bugsy from the catery - of course he was not called Bugsy.....

I can trace his background.... I suppose I can have some fun with that
Uh oh, I am so sorry, I thought he was a she
  I still want to borrow the big lover boy.

That would be so fun and interesting.  I bet the breeder would love to help, if she is still able.  I talked to mine again today and she is so excited that I want to do this. 

She told me "you'll never get Alzheimer's" if you keep learning new things.

One the Breed vs Purebred thread, there are some things that will help you get started as well.  Keep us posted!

Last edited:

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know if Roxy counts since she is not currently living with me but I co-own her so does that count? She is a (registered) Maine Coon. I chose her breeder, did a lot of the communication with them, I picked her up, and helped raised her; technically my brother is the primary owner but both of our names are on her registration papers; they lived with us until last year and I was the one who took her to vet visits and things; he moved away last year though and so he took Roxy with him to New England (currently my cat Church is with them too-- Church is my cat but Church and Roxy grew up together and Church does not like my younger cats and was unhappy when Roxy left so I let my brother take him to stay with them for now...)

Anyway, here's Roxy. This was when she was younger, like 1 or 2 years old:

Here is a more recent photo, she only recently developed this big neck ruff when she was about 4 1/2 (she's 5 now, her birthday was a few weeks ago):

Last edited:

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
(currently my cat Church is with them too-- Church is my cat but Church and Roxy grew up together and Church does not like my younger cats and was unhappy when Roxy left so I let my brother take him to stay with them for now...)
Roxy is beautiful!! :love: What do you call her coloring?

And did you name your cat Church after Pet Sematary? :lol3: