How is Your Cat a Weirdo?

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catspaww66, I think I understand them because I must be part cat myself! After all, I like to stay up late but take naps during the day, I'm not as sociable as people sometimes want me to be, I'm very finicky about the food I eat and I think the world should revolve around me!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Catspaww66, I think I understand them because I must be part cat myself! After all, I like to stay up late but take naps during the day, I'm not as sociable as people sometimes want me to be, I'm very finicky about the food I eat and I think the world should revolve around me!
  This sounds like quite a few people I know!  This hi-bred species could be more common than you had thought - you could have lots of relatives around the world you never knew about! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think that's the key - let them be themselves. People who "alter" their cats to fit their lifestyle bury the cat's true personality. They let us live with them, let us cater to them, and once we accept we are not the boss anymore, they know it's time to fly their weirdness flag!! :-)
I agree.  There is a lot out there (for example) that says you should keep your cats indoors, it keeps them safer etc etc etc. but mine love nothing more than the fresh air and sunshine, chasing things, stalking, drinking out of the pond, eating fresh grass, rolling around in the flowers, watching everything going on outside, etc.  There's a time when you have to be an owner and take a certain amount of responsibility but in general cats are very intelligent animals & if you more or less let them do what they want they will stay out of harm's way on their own.  I think you have to respect the needs and desires of the animal and if you do then they will be very happy and will probably entertain you quite a bit in the process.

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I agree.  There is a lot out there (for example) that says you should keep your cats indoors, it keeps them safer etc etc etc. but mine love nothing more than the fresh air and sunshine, chasing things, stalking, drinking out of the pond, eating fresh grass, rolling around in the flowers, watching everything going on outside, etc.  There's a time when you have to be an owner and take a certain amount of responsibility but in general cats are very intelligent animals & if you more or less let them do what they want they will stay out of harm's way on their own.  I think you have to respect the needs and desires of the animal and if you do then they will be very happy and will probably entertain you quite a bit in the process.
Oh how I would love to have a catio for my cats to safely lounge outside! I live in a suburb of Denver, close enough to the mountains that coyotes are often seen running down sidewalks and in parks. If I lived in an area where I knew they'd be able to stay outside and be safe, I would let them in a heartbeat! My dream is to buy a little house where I can turn the entire backyard into an enclosed catio, so they can have all the sunshine, fresh air, bugs to chase and freedom they want, while I have the peace of mind knowing they're safe from harm (except from Peanut. There's nothing I can do about her LOL)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am going to have to disagree with you.  If they can stay out of harm's way so well, why do I see so many killed on the roads, taken by wild animals and birds of prey, or tortured and killed by psychopathic humans. I do agree that they love to see what is going on outside. The best of both worlds is to have a screened-in area that is accessible from the inside. That lets them watch the outside, but if anything comes along that would harm them, they can run back inside.

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on where you live obviously but as a suburbanite I've never had any problems nor known any neighbors who have had repeated problems other than occasional accidents.  I had a cat get bitten/scratched in a fight with a stray who contracted cat AIDS and died, also knew of a couple cats being accidentally run over after they had escaped.  And while it's always tough to lose a pet, I personally believe the quality of life is more important than the quantity at least in a vacuum, and I could never keep one of my cats or dogs inside and out of the fresh air and sunshine just out of fear, especially when they are crying and pawing at the door, and especially when I know they're just going to lay down in the garden/grass and take a nap.  Personally I know more people who have been killed in car accidents than cats who have been run over, and again, although it varies depending on the individual and the situation (some people just can't do this because of extreme situations like living in a dense city or immediately in front of a busy street), I would never suggest a person refuse to live out his/her life due to fear of the unknown, and as a result I wouldn't expect my cats to live their lives out that way either.  I bring them in at night, but I just trust them otherwise.  I've read (and found this to be the truth) that the cat is probably watching you more than you are watching it, and just because you can't find kitty doesn't mean she's in danger.

As far as animals being run over, seeing that on the roads, I see that all the time where I live, almost always it is squirrels, raccoons, possums, an occasional skunk, etc.  I haven't seen a cat in years.  There are ferals everywhere here and lots of busy streets, but I've tried trapping some of them and it is hard, because when a cat wants to evade a human it is usually pretty good at doing so.  I run every day in a park here so long as its not snow and ice, and I am always amazed that I never see cats as roadkill, just other animals, even though I know the park is full of ferals because I see them & have actually tried trapping them.  That makes me happy of course that I don't see that but at the same time I take it as an indication of how extremely adaptable cats can be.  They're supposedly very, very close to the North African wildcat and when feral and having never been socialized they can be extremely elusive, highly successful hunters and given their apparent population around where I live they seem to actually be out-performing everything other the deer, which are culled.  I've even read that there are worries that feral cats may be endangering populations of sparrows and starlings, although admittedly I don't know much about that.

So I basically don't worry basically but it all depends.  Like I said my situation in suburbia is much more ideal than what others can be.  In general I believe cats are brilliant, highly adaptable animals who can take care of themselves, and who are smart enough to know when to cut off the curiosity.  But then further, I have never owned a "pet store" cat, all my animals have been rescues, so maybe there's a difference there too where the cats I have had have been at an advantage having been "socialized" to the outdoor environment.

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh how I would love to have a catio for my cats to safely lounge outside! I live in a suburb of Denver, close enough to the mountains that coyotes are often seen running down sidewalks and in parks. If I lived in an area where I knew they'd be able to stay outside and be safe, I would let them in a heartbeat! My dream is to buy a little house where I can turn the entire backyard into an enclosed catio, so they can have all the sunshine, fresh air, bugs to chase and freedom they want, while I have the peace of mind knowing they're safe from harm (except from Peanut. There's nothing I can do about her LOL)
Yeah I don't have coyotes around here.  I've crossed paths (physically) with one and have seen one going down the street, so I know there are a couple, but it's just too developed out here for that.  Which is actually unfortunate IMO.  But that's a beautiful dream and I hope you achieve it!  Maybe a bay window could be a temporary solution?

Anyway sorry for derailing this conversation.

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to live in a huge house that had two bay windows overlooking the backyard, and I encouraged bunny rabbits to hang out there, one because I love rabbits and they were adorable, two so my cats had something to watch. Actually, that house had 28 windows they could look out of and lounge in front of. Then I got divorced and couldn't afford that house anymore. I had to move to a rental townhouse, and sadly it only has 6 windows/glass doors to look out of. I put up bird/squirrel feeders outside of my windows, much to my neighbors' dismay, hoping to offer more entertainment for them (and me). I've tried to maximize the vertical space for them, and give them lots of places to hide, sleep, lounge and get away from each other. I don't plan on living here forever, and as soon as I can I want to move all of us to a bigger place, preferably with a small yard for the catio!

When I was a kid my cats always went outdoors. But things were different back then. We lived on a street where we knew everyone and who's kids belonged to which parents. People knew each other's animals and looked out for them. We were more connected to the people around us, and our street wasn't known for speeders or racers. But that was back in the 70s. Now people are so self involved and disconnected (I don't know any of my neighbors after living here over 3 years) that no one cares enough to pay attention to anything else but their iPhones. I just don't feel comfortable letting my cats roam around where people even try to speed through my cul-de-sac.

Besides, my cats are so full of awesome weirdness, only those select special few should be able to experience it! ;-)

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats plays with lollipops, whether it be dum dims or large tootsie roll lollipops, he bats them around our hard floor and if they fall downstairs he will bring them back up in his mouth, he is 11 but has done this ever since he was little. Surprisingly he never learned to hunt.

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's adorable! I can just picture him trotting back up the stairs with a lollipop in his mouth. Does he "talk" to them too? :-)

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's adorable! I can just picture him trotting back up the stairs with a lollipop in his mouth. Does he "talk" to them too? :-)
No he doesn't talk to them, but he brings a plush crackle toy in his mouth and talks as he carries it, but only that toy no other.

allenkm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boots, who is a big boy, likes to squeeze into my daughter's Barbie swimming pool......so cute...then he watches her play.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No he doesn't talk to them, but he brings a plush crackle toy in his mouth and talks as he carries it, but only that toy no other.
Sugar talks to her furry mice while she is carrying them around. When she throws them in the air, she stops until she has caught them again.

cutepixie93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love the name Pooper, lol. Bruce has many quirks about him, whenever I have a glass of tea or coke he has to dip his paw in to play with it. He does in his water dish and especially the toilet. He loves the toilet, the toilet seat needs down at all times or they'll be wet cat prints all over it. We first got him, second day my bf accidently peed on him cause he was curious and jumped in lol he did'nt mind getting a bath. He loves the bath tub and will remove the head off the disposable razor, carry it downstairs and play with it. Whenever I take a shwr he wa, nts to be in the bathroom, wlks up and down the bath t Hub ledge and bats at the shwr curtain. He likes to hide things as well, he put a tampon in my bf's one slipper, toy mice in his boot, jus recently caught him dropping one of his toy mice in my purse. Whenever I water my plants he drinks the water, so now I pen him up until the soil sucks it up. Another thing bout Bruce he does'nt mind getting wet, he likes laying in the bathroom sink, loves playing with the water coming out. He'll greet you at the door everytime and he loves to pounce on me, he is full of surprises this boy.:nod:

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine tosses too but he does it with the dead bodies of the voles he kills.  He flings them into the air and then swats them as if they are tennis balls and his paw is a racquet.

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I used to live in a huge house that had two bay windows overlooking the backyard, and I encouraged bunny rabbits to hang out there, one because I love rabbits and they were adorable, two so my cats had something to watch. Actually, that house had 28 windows they could look out of and lounge in front of. Then I got divorced and couldn't afford that house anymore. I had to move to a rental townhouse, and sadly it only has 6 windows/glass doors to look out of. I put up bird/squirrel feeders outside of my windows, much to my neighbors' dismay, hoping to offer more entertainment for them (and me). I've tried to maximize the vertical space for them, and give them lots of places to hide, sleep, lounge and get away from each other. I don't plan on living here forever, and as soon as I can I want to move all of us to a bigger place, preferably with a small yard for the catio!

When I was a kid my cats always went outdoors. But things were different back then. We lived on a street where we knew everyone and who's kids belonged to which parents. People knew each other's animals and looked out for them. We were more connected to the people around us, and our street wasn't known for speeders or racers. But that was back in the 70s. Now people are so self involved and disconnected (I don't know any of my neighbors after living here over 3 years) that no one cares enough to pay attention to anything else but their iPhones. I just don't feel comfortable letting my cats roam around where people even try to speed through my cul-de-sac.

Besides, my cats are so full of awesome weirdness, only those select special few should be able to experience it! ;-)
Yeah I don't have neighbors like that.  If I had a neighbor that complained about a squirrel feeder he'd have a whole lot more than that to complain about after I got done with him.

There are still some people out there who have some sense of common decency and compassion though.  I think its just that the jerks happen stick out a lot more.  I get racers too down the street at night, but the cats aren't out then.  You have no idea how many times I have dreamed of laying obstacles out in the middle of the street for the dragsters, but thankfully the racing doesn't happen often enough to be predictable enough to actually do something about it.  I'd love to see one of these guys go careening through a set of mailboxes at 3 in the morning and end up in the ditch having to explain themselves to a cop.  I'd make popcorn.  If only....

Last edited by a moderator:

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the old homestead, we had mice. Aristotle discovered that if you smack a dead one under the fridge and let it stay there a while it would mummify and that would add to its play value. You never knew when a mummy mouse would go skittering across the floor towards you.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have three cats, mommy and two of her babies which are now 6 months old... and they are all special in their own ways!

Penny, our little girl, gives kisses- If you ask 'kisses?' she will do her best to bump her nose into yours. She also NEEDS to jump into the shower as soon as the water turns off; she checks out the drips on the wall, the drips from the faucet, and (to our dismay) sits in the wettest spot she can find.

Bub-Cat, the mom, is a freak for hair bands. I have to be careful about never putting down a hair tie or rubber band because Bub will find it instantly and snap it back and forth across the room with her paw and mouth! I am pretty sure she has eaten a few too.

Bear is our boy- he is 10 lbs at 6 months and the biggest baby you've ever met! We actually call him Baby Bear. He will wander around the house whimpering because he doesn't know that he wants to cuddle. He only stops when he figures out that he can sit on the couch with us or someone picks him up for some cuddles. He is such a lovable fluff!

All three run laps around the house after they poop too! I am glad to hear we don't have the only cats in the world that act like they are 10 pounds lighter after they *leave a deposit* :)

I love reading all the other weirdo cat stories! Thanks for sharing!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

We have three cats, mommy and two of her babies which are now 6 months old... and they are all special in their own ways!

Penny, our little girl, gives kisses- If you ask 'kisses?' she will do her best to bump her nose into yours. She also NEEDS to jump into the shower as soon as the water turns off; she checks out the drips on the wall, the drips from the faucet, and (to our dismay) sits in the wettest spot she can find.

Bub-Cat, the mom, is a freak for hair bands. I have to be careful about never putting down a hair tie or rubber band because Bub will find it instantly and snap it back and forth across the room with her paw and mouth! I am pretty sure she has eaten a few too.

Bear is our boy- he is 10 lbs at 6 months and the biggest baby you've ever met! We actually call him Baby Bear. He will wander around the house whimpering because he doesn't know that he wants to cuddle. He only stops when he figures out that he can sit on the couch with us or someone picks him up for some cuddles. He is such a lovable fluff!

All three run laps around the house after they poop too! I am glad to hear we don't have the only cats in the world that act like they are 10 pounds lighter after they *leave a deposit* :)

I love reading all the other weirdo cat stories! Thanks for sharing!
Cutiecats. 
  Bear sounds too adorable with his little whimpers while he searches for cuddles. 

Do you have any recent pic's of them, does BabyBear still have his crimped head fur?