How is Your Cat a Weirdo?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aya is definitely a weirdo... Ah, and how to tell this story without being inappropriate...

It's all TMI, so you've been warned if you read this:

She has this obsession with my crotch... It all started when she was a little kitten. She was a winter kitten and my Okinawan apartment was not heated. I also had tatami floors which meant I sat on the floor indian style and worked on my laptop or whatever. She quickly figured out that she could climb over my legs and drop herself down the hole and be nice and toasty warm. She persisted in this until she was well too big to fit there. Then she started sleeping there at night.  She likes sphinx-ing herself in the "trench" so she can stare at me while I sleep.

My brother came to visit and found out how she likes to sleep. Let me say, it's more worrisome for a guy to have ten claws poised over the "family jewels". Aya's very persistant and decided she liked him (its those long-fingered neck scritchies that did it). He's the only guy she really likes. He would have to wait till she was settled and scooch the blanket down a few inches with his toes to sleep without worry. It took him 2-3 nights to convince her to sleep beside his legs and not in between them. She still sleeps this way with me, at least until I roll over on her, then she sits on my feet in protest.

Last week I caught her sniffing a pair of pants I had worn "down there" very intently and lovingly, like it was another cat or something that marked it! I hate to say it but the smell and location combined is like her security blanket.

Recently, I've discovered that when she is in one of her loving moods that she not only "assumes the position", interesting since she was fixed at 5 1/2mos, but likes to be spanked on her rump when she does this -sigh- .... My cat is a pervert.

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wheezy and Pooper - those need to go into the Best Cat Names Ever Hall of Fame!!

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's so much weirdness in my house, I don't even know where to begin!

Duck likes her "spanks" on her butt. She will raise her butt in the air, or she'll flatten out completely and kind of slither on the floor away from you. Then she rolls over on her side when she's just out of reach, and look back at you like "why did you stop?" She is also the resident Bathroom Monitor. If I have to go, no matter where in the house she is, no matter what she is doing, she has to come waddling in to see what I'm doing. Every time.

Turtle gets her special "Tub Time." She loves those shiny crinkle balls (we call them crunchballs) but only the small size. If you have one in your hand and squeeze it, her eyes get huge and she sprints for...the bathtub and jumps in. She loves chasing the crunchball around the bathtub! She goes through all sorts of acrobatic maneuvers trying to get that ball! Now she's decided she doesn't like to bat it if it goes by the drain, so I sit on the edge of the tub and field it when it does. She stops every few seconds to peek over the edge to make sure the other cats aren't going to ambush her.

Wee loves to play Sock Head. A friend said he did this with his cats, because he thought it was funny how cats always back up if you put something on or around their head. Wee loved to grab socks when I folded laundry, so I took a big white one and put the hole over her face and around her head. I thought she'd freak out and back away, but she didn't. She got very still, and if anything moved in front of her or over her paws, she attacked! She actually loves playing this game! She looks so funny, with a white sock head blocking her vision, trying to pin down anything in front of her with her paws.

Louie "kills" only one toy in the house, and brings it to me at a trot while meowing. It's a tiger striped thing kinda shaped like a turd with red fuzz on one end. He doesn't bring me any other toy, just Tiger Toy. He also likes to bite me on the butt when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (while Bathroom Monitor watches). He's my only boy cat, and the only cat I have that likes to peek around the shower curtain liner to see what I'm doing when I take a shower. Little perv!

Autumn is my resident grumpface. She's only 8 but she acts much older, and seems to 'disapprove' of everything and everyone. When she gets playful, she likes to chase her tail by leaping in the air and trying to catch it mid-leap. It's kind of like your stately, proper old grandmother jumping up out of her wheelchair and twerking all of a sudden. :-)

Luna isn't so weird as she is LOUD. Sometimes she has these moments where it seems like she just walks up and yells at you for no reason. Even if you're petting her, she just yells, earning her the nickname Yelly McYellerton. And even though all of my cats get the same wet food every night divided into 8 bowls, she has to check and see if anyone else got something better before she settles down to eat.

Shyla is the biggest klutz I've ever seen. She falls of of everything! She's fallen off my pillow on my bed, fallen off the end table into the garbage, she has no balancing skills at all! She's extremely shy and runs from pretty much everyone (even me) if they're standing, but will approach if they're sitting. At night, she'll meow for me to get into bed and then flop over for belly rubs that seem to be the best thing ever from her reaction. Then she'll try to turn over and somehow screw that up.

And then there's Peanut. Oh, Peanut, how I wish I could see inside your head! She is by far the weirdest cat I've ever had. Where Autumn always looks grumpy, Peanut looks permanently happily surprised. She loves to nibble and lick my boyfriend's toes. Not mine, only his. Her meow sounds like a creaky door in a haunted house. She'll be just crouching on the rug, not stalking or doing anything, and all of a sudden waggle her head and look at the world upside down. From just sitting quietly, out of nowhere she will start meowing at and running towards....nothing. She loves to sit facing Duck (Peanut is only 1/3 of Duck's size) and as soon as Duck looks away, Peanut whaps her on the top of her head and takes off running. She hisses and purrs at the same time when I bring her to the vet. She acts like she lives in an alternate reality!

I really don't know why I pay for cable tv, with all this entrainment around.... :-)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ 8 wiskers,  You bunch sounds so funny! I was laughing reading about them. I bet you could make some funny videos of them!

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Angel's Mommy and MServant, thank you! Sometimes I think that if idiot's like Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty can make millions off of people watching their ridiculous lives, why can't I have a reality show where they just film my cats all day, doing their normally weird stuff? ;-)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Angel's Mommy and MServant, thank you! Sometimes I think that if idiot's like Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty can make millions off of people watching their ridiculous lives, why can't I have a reality show where they just film my cats all day, doing their normally weird stuff? ;-)
Now THERE is a idea. I'm not sure this is the best place to post it unless you've already copyrighted it though! 
  I'd watch it! 

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL, true. But I already have the patent and legal rights to all of my cats' weirdness - it wouldn't be a hit without the 8 of them! ;-)

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

There's so much weirdness in my house, I don't even know where to begin!

Duck likes her "spanks" on her butt. She will raise her butt in the air, or she'll flatten out completely and kind of slither on the floor away from you. Then she rolls over on her side when she's just out of reach, and look back at you like "why did you stop?" She is also the resident Bathroom Monitor. If I have to go, no matter where in the house she is, no matter what she is doing, she has to come waddling in to see what I'm doing. Every time.

Turtle gets her special "Tub Time." She loves those shiny crinkle balls (we call them crunchballs) but only the small size. If you have one in your hand and squeeze it, her eyes get huge and she sprints for...the bathtub and jumps in. She loves chasing the crunchball around the bathtub! She goes through all sorts of acrobatic maneuvers trying to get that ball! Now she's decided she doesn't like to bat it if it goes by the drain, so I sit on the edge of the tub and field it when it does. She stops every few seconds to peek over the edge to make sure the other cats aren't going to ambush her.

Wee loves to play Sock Head. A friend said he did this with his cats, because he thought it was funny how cats always back up if you put something on or around their head. Wee loved to grab socks when I folded laundry, so I took a big white one and put the hole over her face and around her head. I thought she'd freak out and back away, but she didn't. She got very still, and if anything moved in front of her or over her paws, she attacked! She actually loves playing this game! She looks so funny, with a white sock head blocking her vision, trying to pin down anything in front of her with her paws.

Louie "kills" only one toy in the house, and brings it to me at a trot while meowing. It's a tiger striped thing kinda shaped like a turd with red fuzz on one end. He doesn't bring me any other toy, just Tiger Toy. He also likes to bite me on the butt when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (while Bathroom Monitor watches). He's my only boy cat, and the only cat I have that likes to peek around the shower curtain liner to see what I'm doing when I take a shower. Little perv!

Autumn is my resident grumpface. She's only 8 but she acts much older, and seems to 'disapprove' of everything and everyone. When she gets playful, she likes to chase her tail by leaping in the air and trying to catch it mid-leap. It's kind of like your stately, proper old grandmother jumping up out of her wheelchair and twerking all of a sudden. :-)

Luna isn't so weird as she is LOUD. Sometimes she has these moments where it seems like she just walks up and yells at you for no reason. Even if you're petting her, she just yells, earning her the nickname Yelly McYellerton. And even though all of my cats get the same wet food every night divided into 8 bowls, she has to check and see if anyone else got something better before she settles down to eat.

Shyla is the biggest klutz I've ever seen. She falls of of everything! She's fallen off my pillow on my bed, fallen off the end table into the garbage, she has no balancing skills at all! She's extremely shy and runs from pretty much everyone (even me) if they're standing, but will approach if they're sitting. At night, she'll meow for me to get into bed and then flop over for belly rubs that seem to be the best thing ever from her reaction. Then she'll try to turn over and somehow screw that up.

And then there's Peanut. Oh, Peanut, how I wish I could see inside your head! She is by far the weirdest cat I've ever had. Where Autumn always looks grumpy, Peanut looks permanently happily surprised. She loves to nibble and lick my boyfriend's toes. Not mine, only his. Her meow sounds like a creaky door in a haunted house. She'll be just crouching on the rug, not stalking or doing anything, and all of a sudden waggle her head and look at the world upside down. From just sitting quietly, out of nowhere she will start meowing at and running towards....nothing. She loves to sit facing Duck (Peanut is only 1/3 of Duck's size) and as soon as Duck looks away, Peanut whaps her on the top of her head and takes off running. She hisses and purrs at the same time when I bring her to the vet. She acts like she lives in an alternate reality!

I really don't know why I pay for cable tv, with all this entrainment around.... :-)

Miki is a very quiet cat. She will only meow when she wants food, and when she finally captures the Cat Dancer as I am playing it with her. It's a strange, low-pitched meow but it sounds very happy to me. When guests come she always sits on a certain couch downstairs with her back to the room, her tail slowly doing figure-8s.

When I enter the playpen that Merida and Calida are currently housed in, sometimes I'm worried that Merida has escaped somehow. She's so good at hiding and she only comes out when you're about to give up with this "hehe I almost tricked you!" look. Even in obvious places she somehow blends in, while Calida always stands out in that vivid tortie coat of hers. 

I wish I could just put video cameras all around my house when I'm outside for a couple hours, come back, and then watch the tape. Or, even better, have  light-sensitive video cameras to check out what exactly Miki does at nighttime (In the morning I always find socks and Belle's doggy toys scattered everywhere). Merida and Calida actually sleep at night, which is very reassuring to know.

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are 'so' weird, and polar opposites. One is so talkative that even my friend who breeds Siamese has said my cat talks too much, and yet the other one must have a broken meow-er because she whisper-meows or squeaks instead. 

Atari will steal mashed potatoes from your plate even if you're sitting at the table. She will do her darnedest to get those potatoes, but she will 'only' try for mashed. She turns her nose up at baked or any other form of potato and hates all other vegetables. 

Atari will play with my pet mice gently and let them run all over her belly, Fawkes will try to kill them like a normal cat. 

Fawkes plays with fish through the glass by batting the glass it's self, knowing full well she can get 'inside' the glass but never bothers. Atari tries to eat the fish. 

Both cats are terrified of my bearded dragon and run away from her when ever she is out of her tank. xD

Fawkes also sleeps in the sink. We have three, count'em 'three' cat beds of all different shapes and sizes and materials but NOPE. she sleeps in the sink >:/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As many animals as I've owned in my life, I swear I've never had one animal with a personality exactly like any another, in fact I'm not sure I've had 2 animals of any type with even a similar personality, because even if two are pretty much the same in a lot of ways, one has some weird quirk that just makes you want to throw all the other similarities out the window.  Reading this, I doubt there's any one cat owner by any member of this forum that is like any cat I've ever owned.  I know cats really love textures whether it is in the form of a blanket they are laying on or food or whatever, but I've never for instance heard of a cat stealing mashed potatoes.  

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, she's my first personal cat. The family has had cats before but she's the first one I've owned and cared for myself. She is by far the weirdest one I've ever actually met and the mashed potato thing just furthers it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Where to start with the weirdo stuff? Silly likes to sniff my eyeball, but just the right one, never the left.

Sugar likes to 'drown' her furry mice in the water bowl.

When I am on the computer, Julie has to meatloaf in front of the keyboard and put her nose on my mouse hand.

Spice likes to tunnel under the blanket, squirm around until she can just barely peek out, and then grab at anything that moves within her reach -including me, sometimes.

Sheba will trill and head butt me when she wants Mega-Noogies (a vigorous head-rub with my knuckles.

Spice and Julie, when I am making their plates twice a day, will sit on either side of one of my legs and play pokies with each other. Which isn't bad when I am wearing long pants, but can get irritating when I am bare-legged..

Sugar will wait until I am using my Nook and then bounce back and forth across (on) my chest.

Julie and Silly love to sleep next to Sheba and will try to wedge themselves in so they are the cat in the middle.

And on and on it goes.
Great stories--you've got some characters there!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat woobie bumps the water bowl with his paw so it will spill on the tile and then sit mesmerized by the stream of water moving along the grout. When the water stops moving he bumps the water bowl again.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilly is an odd ball she is terrified of my daughter bearing in mind my daughter is  like a pet elephant she runs EVERYWHERE so when she hears phoebe coming Lilly pretty much does a vertical run up the cat tree. Once safely on the second floor and phoebe below her she soft paw bops phoebe on the head every time she tries to reach for lilly and then when phoebe is asleep on the sofa/floor/where ever she dropped lilly curls around her head and grooms her but god if phoebe twitches in her sleep she runs for it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Great stories--you've got some characters there!
And that is mostly because I let them be themselves. If they want attention, they will let me know. I talk to them, and they 'talk' back to me - sometimes in a way I know is not complimentary.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd watch too!!!  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Our cat Rico likes 'hand rubs' --well, I guess 'paw' rubs.  He'll snuggle up next to hubby, put his paw in his hand, and hubby will rub it like he would a human--each toe, between each toe, his whole paw up to the joint--and then do the other paw. It's the funniest thing.  Now I need to show hubby how to trim his nails--then the manicure would be complete.  

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

And that is mostly because I let them be themselves. If they want attention, they will let me know. I talk to them, and they 'talk' back to me - sometimes in a way I know is not complimentary.
I think that's the key - let them be themselves. People who "alter" their cats to fit their lifestyle bury the cat's true personality. They let us live with them, let us cater to them, and once we accept we are not the boss anymore, they know it's time to fly their weirdness flag!! :-)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think that's the key - let them be themselves. People who "alter" their cats to fit their lifestyle bury the cat's true personality. They let us live with them, let us cater to them, and once we accept we are not the boss anymore, they know it's time to fly their weirdness flag!! :-)
You have a good understanding of cat personality and behavior.