How is Your Cat a Weirdo?

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If mine happens to catch a spider descending from an object on a thread of silk, that spider will probably not make it all the way to the ground.

Also he's a trickster, he likes to play elaborate games with other cats that always involves him hiding around corners and bopping them on the head, but he does this in new ways and with new objects/obstacles around.  I swear he's a genius.  Maybe there's some special link between a diet of spiders and intelligence in cats?

What about yours?  Are they weirdos too?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think Mouse eats enough spiders by the sound of it!  My boy has a small head. 

He likes to greet all people as they enter the apartment, he never hides as he has to inspect and check everyone out.  Not normal.... 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine is the exact opposite.  He was a rescue & I got him as a kitten but after the typical socialization period.  That means whenever someone new comes to the door - or worse, in the house - he takes off like a bullet and hides under the bed.  If a fedex/ups guy shows up at the door you might not see him for a good 3 hours or more.  And god all mighty does he hate the garbage trucks.

fizzycrow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittys does a victory lap after taking a poo in the litter box.  She will go in, do her business, then run around like she is 10 pounds lighter.  It is quite humorous to see such a fat cat run around like that.  One time she even fell down a couple of steps, didn't stop her from rejoicing.  She also enjoys a good spider, sometimes even bringing me one, thanks kitty! ( i hate spiders haha)

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's funny.

My cat makes a big mountain in the litter box.  When you clean it you make sure everything is nice and level, then here comes kitty & he has to make sure he scratches all of the litter to the back side of the box so that the front part of the box is bare plastic and the back is a giant hill that reaches the top of the box.  He's always so proud of it too when he gets done.  He talks about it afterwards like "erroww wrrow wrooow" and so I congratulate him on his accomplishment.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 'youngster', Casper, will knock everything off the table, remotes, books, cups, etc. if he doesn't get let out early enough in the morning. If THAT doesn't get your attention he starts clamping his mouth down on any body part he can get, toes, elbows, hands, and if THAT doesn't do it he'll start attacking our poor oldster. He knows that will bring us running. About the only thing my Burt does is lay on anything you are reading, but he's the sweetest cat you'll ever meet! I truly hate to leave them alone, I never know when poor old Burt is going to get jumped on.

payaza2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat for the most part is normal. He isn't aggressive, he won't bite except when he really doesn't want to be pet. But some weird habits he develops:

A) He will ruthlessly attack my toes when I am sleeping, as if sworn enemies with them

B) Will drink out of the toilet if it is left open, and flushed.. I know not healthy.

C) Will at 2AM some nights climb the kitchen counters to the top of the fridge, and than MEOW until someone wakes up and brings him down cause he realized he's afraid of heights.

D)Snores

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mine is the exact opposite.  He was a rescue & I got him as a kitten but after the typical socialization period.  That means whenever someone new comes to the door - or worse, in the house - he takes off like a bullet and hides under the bed.  If a fedex/ups guy shows up at the door you might not see him for a good 3 hours or more.  And god all mighty does he hate the garbage trucks.
Oliver is that way. He was a rescued feral at 4 months. I adopted him at 6 months. He's a scaredy cat!

He's got a weird fascination with pens and pencils. He'll bat them off any surface and look at them quizzically as if he expects them to sprout legs and run off and, yet, there they are... unmoving after being viciously attacked by his ferocious self. Like Casper, he'll bat anything else off a surface just to watch it fall, apparently. 

He also likes to poke his head into the toilet... while I'm sitting on it. That's probably the weirdest thing he does. 

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bee Gee is the resident "doctor".  She runs to anyone whenever they cough or sneeze, and will meow frantically! ....  She is also the household supervisor.  If we are involved in ANY project, she will park herself right in the middle of it to make sure it's done right!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's funny.

My cat makes a big mountain in the litter box.  When you clean it you make sure everything is nice and level, then here comes kitty & he has to make sure he scratches all of the litter to the back side of the box so that the front part of the box is bare plastic and the back is a giant hill that reaches the top of the box.  He's always so proud of it too when he gets done.  He talks about it afterwards like "erroww wrrow wrooow" and so I congratulate him on his accomplishment.
 Angel does that too. When I see almost ALL of the litter piled up in one corner, I know there's a poopie in there!  

My kittys does a victory lap after taking a poo in the litter box.  She will go in, do her business, then run around like she is 10 pounds lighter.  It is quite humorous to see such a fat cat run around like that.  One time she even fell down a couple of steps, didn't stop her from rejoicing.  She also enjoys a good spider, sometimes even bringing me one, thanks kitty! ( i hate spiders haha)
That's So funny! Angel does that too. He "gallops" around like a horse. I say, "Are you playing horsey?" He's a goof ball!  Sometimes when he acts like that, I call him Goofy! 

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The doctor one is cute!  I had a little Corgi like that, he'd know when you were sick & would want to be by you.  

Also from the responses apparently going to the litterbox is an absolutely thrilling experience for a cat. 

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gallops around too, but its more like a bounce usually, like a stiff-legged bounce with his tail straight up in the air.  It means its playtime.

He also without fail wakes me up every single morning around 5am.  I don't even need to use my alarm clock because I already have one thats twice as fuzzy and ten times as annoying.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where to start with the weirdo stuff? Silly likes to sniff my eyeball, but just the right one, never the left.

Sugar likes to 'drown' her furry mice in the water bowl.

When I am on the computer, Julie has to meatloaf in front of the keyboard and put her nose on my mouse hand.

Spice likes to tunnel under the blanket, squirm around until she can just barely peek out, and then grab at anything that moves within her reach -including me, sometimes.

Sheba will trill and head butt me when she wants Mega-Noogies (a vigorous head-rub with my knuckles.

Spice and Julie, when I am making their plates twice a day, will sit on either side of one of my legs and play pokies with each other. Which isn't bad when I am wearing long pants, but can get irritating when I am bare-legged..

Sugar will wait until I am using my Nook and then bounce back and forth across (on) my chest.

Julie and Silly love to sleep next to Sheba and will try to wedge themselves in so they are the cat in the middle.

And on and on it goes.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

My kittys does a victory lap after taking a poo in the litter box......she even fell down a couple of steps, didn't stop her from rejoicing.  She also enjoys a good spider, sometimes even bringing me one, thanks kitty! ( i hate spiders haha)
 You must be so proud of these amazing achievements of hers! 
  Does she get treats for her efforts?

That's funny.

My cat makes a big mountain in the litter box..... He's always so proud of it too when he gets done.  He talks about it afterwards like "erroww wrrow wrooow" and so I congratulate him on his accomplishment.
  Beats kicking it all out of the box I guess!  Loving how he chats about it afterwards. 

My 'youngster', Casper, will knock everything off the table, remotes, books, cups, etc. if he doesn't get let out early enough in the morning.......and if THAT doesn't do it he'll start attacking our poor oldster. He knows that will bring us running............ truly hate to leave them alone, I never know when poor old Burt is going to get jumped on.
Naughty Casper. 
   Burt needs to develop some grumpy older guy habits to keep this youngster in his place.
C) Will at 2AM some nights climb the kitchen counters to the top of the fridge, and than MEOW until someone wakes up and brings him down cause he realized he's afraid of heights.

He's got a weird fascination with pens and pencils. He'll bat them off any surface and look at them quizzically as if he expects them to sprout legs and run off and, yet, there they are... unmoving after being viciously attacked by his ferocious self. Like Casper, he'll bat anything else off a surface just to watch it fall, apparently. 

He also likes to poke his head into the toilet... while I'm sitting on it. That's probably the weirdest thing he does. 
  I think that toilet habit would freek me out, I'd be worried what Mouse would do next!  Love the idea of terrorizin the local pencils. 

Bee Gee is the resident "doctor".  She runs to anyone whenever they cough or sneeze, and will meow frantically! ....  She is also the household supervisor.  If we are involved in ANY project, she will park herself right in the middle of it to make sure it's done right!
  Sister Bee Gee sounds cute.  Nothing like making sure the household is healthy and in good order! 

Where to start with the weirdo stuff? Silly likes to sniff my eyeball, but just the right one, never the left.

Sugar likes to 'drown' her furry mice in the water bowl.

Sugar will wait until I am using my Nook and then bounce back and forth across (on) my chest.

And on and on it goes.
This house is not just full of weirdo cats, they seem to have purrfected the art of attention seeking.  
   Do they give lessons to the neighbouring cats?

GREAT idea for the thread @Joe DiMeowgio

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in a house full of weirdos! :rub:

Frannie will sit in an empty corner and meow very loudly at the ceiling. It think she likes to hear the echo. When she really gets into it, her meows transform into an eerily human sounding 'Hel-loo'. It is kind of freaky and very loud.

We love Pooper, bless her heart, but she is odd. The strangest thing is probably her obsession with the litter box. She follows all the other cats to the box and observes them doing their business. Sometimes she will reach out and tap at them while they are going. It is not a playful tap, but a very gentle, 'Hey! Whatcha doin'? ' tap. Afterwards, she will dig up the poop, inspect it, and rebury it. Also, immediately after I scoop, she has to dig around in the box to make sure I haven't missed anything. I think that is what she is doing? Or maybe she is rearranging the litter to her satisfaction. Who knows? A few times, she has even done her business in the box while I am scooping. As the chief scooper around here, I find it very considerate of her :)

Wheezie Kitten's weird thing bothers me. She does not like to be picked up, held still, or restrained in any way. It makes me feel like she doesn't trust me :( When I clean her ears or do her nails, judging by the fuss she makes, you would think I was amputating a paw. She is very, very melodramatic. The funny thing is that she alternates between yowling and purring the whole time, so she can't really be that upset. She is very vocal and will hold up her end of a conversation if you speak to her. It is very cute.

I guess Bob and Sammy are kind of normal, for cats!

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This house is not just full of weirdo cats, they seem to have purrfected the art of attention seeking.  
   Do they give lessons to the neighbouring cats?
The only cats around besides mine are the ones over half a mile down the road. They are outdoor cats, unfixed and un-vetted. If I see them around I fire a shot in the air to scare them away. I don't want them giving my cats any diseases.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

The only cats around besides mine are the ones over half a mile down the road. They are outdoor cats, unfixed and un-vetted. If I see them around I fire a shot in the air to scare them away. I don't want them giving my cats any diseases.
Ah, guess the neighbouring cats aren't likely to learn any of your crew's cute tricks then.  

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Margo is what I call a "flopper". Anytime anyone (me, my boyfriend, my room mate, random friends she hasn't met before), she frantically meows, flops over on her belly, then jumps up and sprints to my room to sit in her usual window spot. Very odd.

In the week that I've owned her, I've also discovered that princess Margo only sleeps on fleece. I have tons of blankets (fleece, cotton, microfiber, hand-crocheted), but the only two she will sleep on is my fleece snow flake blanket on the recliner and the fleece tie blanket on my bed. I don't mind! Both blankets are mine, so she is often cuddling with me 

Oh, and she snores! 

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Noodles sprints back and forth across the house a few times after she finishes her business too.  Never for tinkles; just the #2s.  She usually waits till the house is quiet and everyone else is in bed.  I guess it makes for maximum galloping volume!