How do your cats react to bugs?

serenasmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Serena will stalk them...she'll be sitting there, purring away, and then BAM! She's skulking along the carpet after some insect! She shakes her little butt, and then goes in for the kill! She always eats them right away, and then she looks at me like, "I just saved your life!" I call her my big protector, even though she's only 5 pounds... My mom's cat, Max, will only stare at them and meow at them. If they're on the window, he jumps at 'em and tries to scare them away, but he won't eat them. When I tell him to, he looks at me as though I asked him to walk on his hind legs and learn how to polka!

carla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to have a cat who was fine with all bugs...........except ladybirds and silverfish. he was terrified of them ! wierd cos he loved chasing all other bugs !

lilycurly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Drusilla is a real Bug-Slayer. The bigger the better, and if it's crunchy, then it's just an extra!lol
Sometimes I can't even stand to watch her eat what she catches.
There was that one big, and I mean HUGE Cicada or something! (Think the size of a Straedler eraser, *shivers*) and she caught it and ate it while it was still moving. It crunched like heck but she still gobbled it down like it was chips..ugh!lol I didn't want to kiss her for hours!lol

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fat Clumsy Cat

I remember seeing a huge moth (as large as both my hands) in my kitchen at night. The next day, it was ripped apart all over my living room and bedroom.
Ewwwwwwwww!

both Buffy and Willow will chase bugs, but Willow won't kill any. She'll watch them pretty intently, then paw them, then walk away. By that time, Buffy, who's been watching the bug for the same amount of time, paws it and then sniffs it. Paws it again and brings it closer to her. Puts the bug in her mouth. Spits it out. Paws it. Puts in mouth again and holds it there. Spits it out when I check to see what she's doing. Puts in mouth again and swallows.

But I can count on both cats when there's a moth around, especially when it's hiding under a lamp at night. If one comes running to my shriek, the other will too, and then it's just a matter of seeing who can jump the highest and catch it.

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
nothing survives in our house, you will see shredded bug parts scattered throughout the house. bad thing is, georgia is covered with cockroaches,...ewwwww..and when it rains they come under the doors. i always get worried that my cats will get sick trying to eat these nasty things, but i never see a live one either in my house.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are like pointers..they will let me know where the bug is...but don't ever expect them to actually maim or kill the bug...no, that job is left to me.

Katie

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have four adult cats (well, Ozzy is still a kitten, actually), and not one of them kills bugs. They like to watch them, but they won't do anything TO them—no matter how much I ask. I figure it's their version of the Discovery channel.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Limerick paws at them until they are dead, but if it's a spider he runs away... figure that one out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

My cats are like pointers..they will let me know where the bug is...but don't ever expect them to actually maim or kill the bug...no, that job is left to me.

Katie
Yay! That sounds like Milo!!!! I'm glad there are other silly cats out there that do the same thing!!!

chloe's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty chatters at all bugs. If they are on the ceiling she will complain until we get it down.

darkangel8603

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats, I don't see any of them eating bugs very often.

Milly would just look at them and watch them. Maybe once in a while would swat at them if they were close enuf.

Tigger would just watch them..

Spooky i am not sure never see her do anything about bugs.

Minka, well, it depends on her mood, sometime she would go after them and hunt them. Sometime she is to lazy and comfortable and dun want to move after them.. But when she is outside, sometime she would go on the roof of our house (one floor house) and have a huge blast up there chasing bugs!!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer chases, paws at, and kills. I haven't seen her eat any though....killing and making sure they are dead is enough for her. She especially likes flies and other flying bugs. Her favorite spot to do all of this is the livingroom window.

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a hunter and a player. Angelo will stalk, pounce, and then eat the bug. Alfie will bat at it until he gets bored. Might be due to an age difference. Angelo is five and Alfie's barely one.

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Daisy tried to catch a wasp once, it must have stung her on her paw, because she came running downstairs looking upset, then sat holding her paw up in the air. It soon swelled to three times its normal size, and she was very sorry for herself. By morning it had gone back to normal, and so had Daisy - still chasing bugs!

Sue

iveynightwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With mine, Pume Pume will stare at it and sometimes make a funky noise, like a really quiet, yet vibrating meow. Almost like he's trying to whisper to it, saying "You're mine!" or something like that. lol He'll eventually chomp it down when he catches it.

Angel just attacks it. She shows no mercy. If it moves, and it's small, she'll chase it all night if she has to!

Spike and Lilly just play with the bugs. Angel usually gets the bugs before they get a chance to try and eat it.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar is too cute! One time he tried to catch a fly, it flew down and he smacked it with his paw and held it down as if to suffocate it. Then he would pick his paw up very slowly, like he's peeking to see if it's still there, and the fly flew out and he didn't realize it. So he kept his paw down and went to peek again and it was gone. Although one time he did this and did suffocate a fly! It's too funny to watch!