How do your cats react to bugs?

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out if Milo is normal or not, lol. Whenever he sees a bug he goes into Lassie mode. He'll sit there and yell at me occasionally looking at the bug. I swear you would think Timmy fell down the well with the way he carries on. He does this until I come over and then he stares at me waiting for me to get rid of it!! Twice they were nasty centipedes that somehow got inside (very gross) and once it was a stray ant (I don't have ants thank god!!!).

I hate creepy crawly things, but I thought cats liked to chase bugs. Pixie has always liked to chase moths, but I'm not sure how she is with other bugs. I just now she doesn't act like Milo. He's clearly not the fearless little hunter, lol. The question is...is he normal???

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats love to hunt bugs, others just watch them. I have had both in my time. I don't think there is much you can do to change them - I tried so hard to make Juniper catch the spiders in hte bath but he didn't like them any more than I did! But my current three all hunt bugs, creeping or flying.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are pretty useless when it comes to bugs too. The first bug Lucky ran into was a house fly that was on it's last legs walking around my floor....she followed it around and then lay down beside it. If it wandered too far off she would get up and move next to it again. When they are outside the like to chase bugs...but neither of them have any idea what to do if they actually catch one.
I was hoping they would be my great bug killers!

oh well

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it flutters, twitches, scurries, scampers, creeps, crawls, etc., then it is chased. in my household.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of that behavior with a bug before, but I don't see anything abnormal about it.

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nano likes to stalk and then swat down any flying bugs. I've seen her eat some of her "prey" but sometimes she just leaves it where it lands.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie kills and eats , excellent spider controller over the years and Zoey is in the look mom it s a toy stage...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on the bug. They love to hunt any bug, but won't eat anything with the crunchy shells (beetles and june bugs). If they catch a moth it is history. Some spiders weird them out.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stalk, pounce, bring it down, eat it. Repeat. If caught outside, carry into house and show it to mom.

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my sons made a comment that he never sees bugs in our house anymore....kitties eat them.
Mine seem to love all types of bugs....especially moths. If they see a moth it's watch, aim paw, squish moth, slide paw down with moth underneath and then eat moth. Yum! Yum!

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Mine are mighty hunters, they stalk and kill all bugs.
Mine too! Sometimes I turn on the light on my deck at night so they can see all the bugs outside, they go nuts!!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of 4 cats I have had - 1 is if it's a bug, ignore it or just plain watch it. The other three motto - if it moves, catch and try to devour it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by imogen

Well...if we wanted normal we wouldn't have cats, would we? ;>
Haha, believe me I know he's far from normal!!!! I just never saw a cat act like that. Chase it? yeah. Ignore it? yeah. Whine till I kill it? no. It's probably one of the funniest things he does though!!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dori likes to chase the bugs around the house, she paws at them but thats all she does. She does like to stare at them on the wall and "chatter" as if she is trying to tell me what she sees. I just tell her what a good girl she is for saving us from the awful creatures. Thankfully all we have had so far are a couple of moths. I have actually picked Dori up and held her up high so she could reach a moth on the ceiling

fat clumsy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine will just sit and watch the bug and follows the bug around. However, when there is nobody around, they will ripped the bug apart.

I remember seeing a huge moth (as large as both my hands) in my kitchen at night. The next day, it was ripped apart all over my living room and bedroom.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Katie pretty much ignores them. Pete chases them then loses interest. Gracie is obsessed with all bugs (hence her nickname - "Little Bug") She'll stalk them, chase them, then go in for the kill. Eats most of them too.
I call her my bug alarm, because when she spots one and can't get to it, she'll start meowing, loudly and urgently, until I come and reassure her. She's also been known to spend hours staring up at spider on the wall or ceiling, waiting for some action.