How do you teach a toddler to respect or leave the cats alone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: My nephew started chasing my cat with a plastic fishing pole toy. :sigh: I have more nieces than i do nephews. Boys seem more aggressive, and determined to do what they want. It gets frustrating sometimes.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Constant message from the adults is really key. Stop him every single time no matter if he is full on chasing or playing to aggressively. He will catch on eventually or the cat will learn to stay around adults because he doesn't do it in front of people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Constant message from the adults is really key. Stop him every single time no matter if he is full on chasing or playing to aggressively. He will catch on eventually or the cat will learn to stay around adults because he doesn't do it in front of people.
We've been doing that. its just frustrating, i dont like him chasing my cats. I wish his parents would take his toys away when he is downstairs. Unfortunately this isnt my house. All i can do is step in and stop him. Thankfully she stops him and wont let him chase the cats. But its frustrating.

At the same time, i dont understand why my cat leaves her tree when she knews he chases her and hits her legs with his cars. She has many high places to go to. But shes needy and feels the need to be near adults when theres people downstairs. My cat Elsa is smart and stays hidden when the baby is downstairs.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I am not a mother but I would like to weigh in all the same, if it is alright. :)

You need to intervene or somebody is going to get hurt and I doubt it will be the cat.

When I was four, I decided to grab one of our cats by his tail and it proved to be a very dumb move on my part. This cat actually belonged to an elderly couple down the street but for some reason my older siblings decided he needed a second home. My father named him John Trouble. Unfortunately JT hated kids, especially me, so I picked the wrong cat to mess with that day. He let out a loud growl and whirled around and proceeded to take a large chunk out of my thumb. Naturally I cried and my mother took care of my wound while offering sympathy, however, she did not side with me.

He is simply too young to understand or learn, so please, put the cats away when he is around.

Last edited: