How do you accept?

cbowdidge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh WOW.  @CBowdidge, that is freaky....lol.    The only thing that looks different is the spot on the chin, your Patches has it on the opposite side.  That is wild.....  They say we all have doubles, but I did not think that I'd find one so close.   Thanks for that shot, I have to show it to my sister

ps. I agree, it never seems long enough, but sometimes owners die first, so I guess I understood what you meant, because you want them to last forever.....but that "love" does last forever, no matter where they are physically.  I don't think that love can ever die.
I almost did a double take. How old is the cat? I'd be tempted to suggest it is related somehow. Patches crossed the rainbow bridge in 1999 from cancer

I know what you mean and of course love never does die. I still love Patches and miss her, I love Sotches and I love my grandfather's dog, Skippy. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't catch the tail....lol.....that is a classic.  the great thing is I love the way they try.   then get so tired and pretend it doesn' t really matter...lol

Putting the ears back.....lol.....i forgot about that......they think they are so scary and tough....lol.

So Mandie is 14 now and you also lost the middle cat too, or am I confusing the story?
I almost did a double take. How old is the cat? I'd be tempted to suggest it is related somehow. Patches crossed the rainbow bridge in 1999 from cancer

I know what you mean and of course love never does die. I still love Patches and miss her, I love Sotches and I love my grandfather's dog, Skippy. 
Spotty is 14, too.....Related....they definetly look it, but I'm up in canada, so I don't know how the older generations would have travelled.....lol.....pretty far walking? maybe took a truck...lol

Yeah, angels4mom, posted how she is making a scrapbook for her RainBow Cocoa, earlier in this thread, so I am going to do the same but put all my cats, dogs and i think I even have a seagull picture some where..  It will help me I am sure.

I meant it was so cool how you said you still love all those cats and dog, and actually wrote it. (i didn't mean cancer was cool)  I sometimes don't make any sense.

Sorry that you had to lose a cat to cancer, that one is tough, I hope Patches did not have to be in any pain for long.  My RainBow Sparky, was ill pretty fast, and went downhill in about a week, so may be this was a kindness in disguise.

I never want either human or animal to have to suffer long.

So do you only have Merlin? 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Couldn't catch the tail....lol.....that is a classic.  the great thing is I love the way they try.   then get so tired and pretend it doesn' t really matter...lol

Putting the ears back.....lol.....i forgot about that......they think they are so scary and tough....lol.

So Mandie is 14 now and you also lost the middle cat too, or am I confusing the story?

Spotty is 14, too.....Related....they definetly look it, but I'm up in canada, so I don't know how the older generations would have travelled.....lol.....pretty far walking? maybe took a truck...lol

Yeah, angels4mom, posted how she is making a scrapbook for her RainBow Cocoa, earlier in this thread, so I am going to do the same but put all my cats, dogs and i think I even have a seagull picture some where..  It will help me I am sure.
I meant it was so cool how you said you still love all those cats and dog, and actually wrote it. (i didn't mean cancer was cool)  I sometimes don't make any sense.

Sorry that you had to lose a cat to cancer, that one is tough, I hope Patches did not have to be in any pain for long.  My RainBow Sparky, was ill pretty fast, and went downhill in about a week, so may be this was a kindness in disguise.
I never want either human or animal to have to suffer long.

So do you only have Merlin? 

Mandie's sister Tiki died in 2009. I still have Holly. She's 4.

cbowdidge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
. I would guess Patches was four when we found her. Well, I live in Canada to,, @cat nap  in Northern Ontario. I don't think she suffered too long, we wouldn't have let her suffer for long, maybe we lingered about her but when she stopped eating, we knew that it was the sign. She loved her food, and she wasn't purring like she once used to. 

I know what you mean, don't worry :)

Yeah, now we just have Merlin. He misses Sotches.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

. I would guess Patches was four when we found her. Well, I live in Canada to,, @cat nap  in Northern Ontario. I don't think she suffered too long, we wouldn't have let her suffer for long, maybe we lingered about her but when she stopped eating, we knew that it was the sign. She loved her food, and she wasn't purring like she once used to. 

I know what you mean, don't worry :)

Yeah, now we just have Merlin. He misses Sotches.
Thanks @CBowdidge  ,  My vet said the exact same thing about the "stopping eating",  that this would be the sign.  My Sparky was young, only 2yrs3mts so I tried syringe feeding, but he was too sick.  He had felv+ and fiv+ status, but from things I learned on this Site, now, I think I would try some of the treatments they have in the States.  It may have not made a difference, but if I ever get another cat that tests positive, I have to try.

With cancer that spreads that quick as in Patches, like you said there really is no other option.  My black labrador mix, also died of suspected liver cancer, he was pts too.  He was 11 yrs old and right after new year 2012, within a week he deteriorated.

I think your Merlin will miss Sotches for awhile, but he will also get super affectionate, too. If he isn't already.

this story is getting more and more wild.  

I live in southern Ontario, you in northern Ontario.

Your Patches dies in 1999 and my Spotty is born in 2000.

Both look alike except for the bottom spots on the chins, and female vs male.

Yours, you found, mine decides to go missing when age 6 but is found 2 and half months later.(Hence they both get lost at different points in time)

Okay, eating wise, they are different, too.

But Patches was in a home with two sisters, and Spotty is in a home with two sisters.

And your Merlin is black domestic long hair, but my recently passed Rainbow Sparky, was a black domestic short hair.

I don't know, I have to sleep on this story, because I am not sure I even believe it.

So was Sotches the cat in the photo in your profile, that had its leg on Merlin? (nice name BTW, magician? and one which I think my sister also watched on some t.v. show.)(I am just guessing since I have not yet read your threads)

And you were brought to this thread because  Sotches passed, and I came here because Sparky passed, so when I saw this thread, it hit me like "how do you accept"

Is the Universe, playing a joke on us?  

cbowdidge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's just too much. Slight correction, Patches only had one fur sibling, that was Socks (if I find a picture I'll upload one of Socks, he was a pretty cat, grey tabby with white paws, white chest and some white on his muzzle. My sister named him for the Beverly Cleary book about a kitten named Socks). Sotches was born in March of 2006. Tomorrow would be his eighth birthday. Socks was about eight when he disappeared. 

But yeah, it's freaky..

Yes, Sotches was the cat with his leg on Merlin-- a sign of dominance. Sotchy was the more dominant cat over Merlin and over his human staff! I wanted to call Merlin "Mr Mistoffelees" from the musical Cats, but it was a bit of a mouthful and suddenly the name Merlin popped up on my head. Sotches is portmanteau of Socks and Patches, because Sotches had tabby patches. 

Merlin is already very affectionate, he gives nose kisses if you put your face up to him, he likes to sit on your lap by the fireplace, he rubs up against you and he likes to sleep wherever I am. He's a super friendly cat. Sotches was also friendly, though my sister was his special favourite. She was his mommy

You can try treatments for a cat when you're young like your Sparky. When we discovered the cancer on Patches, it had already begun to spread. So amputation was out. Definitely stopping eating is considered a sign it's time, especially with Patches. I was told "You'll know when it's time, there will come a point where you can't stomach it any more" and that was true. As the summer wound down, I suspected that my time with Patches was drawing to a close, and it was.

It must be playing a joke on us. 

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's just too much. Slight correction, Patches only had one fur sibling, that was Socks (if I find a picture I'll upload one of Socks, he was a pretty cat, grey tabby with white paws, white chest and some white on his muzzle. My sister named him for the Beverly Cleary book about a kitten named Socks). Sotches was born in March of 2006. Tomorrow would be his eighth birthday. Socks was about eight when he disappeared. 

But yeah, it's freaky..

Yes, Sotches was the cat with his leg on Merlin-- a sign of dominance. Sotchy was the more dominant cat over Merlin and over his human staff! I wanted to call Merlin "Mr Mistoffelees" from the musical Cats, but it was a bit of a mouthful and suddenly the name Merlin popped up on my head. Sotches is portmanteau of Socks and Patches, because Sotches had tabby patches. 

Merlin is already very affectionate, he gives nose kisses if you put your face up to him, he likes to sit on your lap by the fireplace, he rubs up against you and he likes to sleep wherever I am. He's a super friendly cat. Sotches was also friendly, though my sister was his special favourite. She was his mommy

You can try treatments for a cat when you're young like your Sparky. When we discovered the cancer on Patches, it had already begun to spread. So amputation was out. Definitely stopping eating is considered a sign it's time, especially with Patches. I was told "You'll know when it's time, there will come a point where you can't stomach it any more" and that was true. As the summer wound down, I suspected that my time with Patches was drawing to a close, and it was.

It must be playing a joke on us. 

Cocoa had a heart shaped white area on his chest just below his bib. I say he came to me with love.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That little heart is too cute angels4mom! And he has a definite look of love in his eye in this photo.  LoL, his upward curled whiskers are something else. 
  The pictures you are finding are lovely.  

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That little heart is too cute angels4mom! And he has a definite look of love in his eye in this photo.  LoL, his upward curled whiskers are something else. :D   The pictures you are finding are lovely.  :hugs:  

He had a great personality. He was sweet but he also had a temper. He didn't like to be picked up and either snapped at me or smacked me. When he was little he came to me with fleas. I held him with one hand on his back to use the flea comb. Sometimes he started to nod off. After a few months he wasn't so receptive to combing. I thought it was because when I combed his belly it was too close to his little naynays. I was always careful not to get too close but he didn't like me anywhere on his belly. I was always so gentle combing. I only combed in the middle of his tummy.

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My heart aches for all of you. After reading all your stories I had to stop for I was crying so hard. Your babies were so beautiful. I loss 2 seniors last yr a couple of months apart and I still can't even talk about it. Just too painful. I know if I could you special feline lovers would be who I would turn to.

I have found that animal lovers are the most compassionate people. We are one of a kind. People who don't have that kind of love for animals just don't understand.

May God bless you all and I'm truly sorry for your loss!

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I heard some of these words in my head tonight and it made me think of Cocoa. I love you angel.

"You are my special angel
Sent from up above
The Lord smiled down on me
And sent an angel to love

You are my special angel
Right from paradise
I know you're an angel
Heaven is in your eyes"

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard some of these words in my head tonight and it made me think of Cocoa. I love you angel.

"You are my special angel
Sent from up above
The Lord smiled down on me
And sent an angel to love

You are my special angel
Right from paradise
I know you're an angel
Heaven is in your eyes"

Thanks for posting that @angels4mom    It is exactly how I feel about Rainbow Sparky.

You know I thought I would come to your thread and post something to help you out, and it turns out that your thread has helped me out more.  (I think it helps alot of people)  So thank you.

do you ever think about getting another cat or kitten? sometime in the future?

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting that @angels4mom
   It is exactly how I feel about Rainbow Sparky.

You know I thought I would come to your thread and post something to help you out, and it turns out that your thread has helped me out more.  (I think it helps alot of people)  So thank you.

do you ever think about getting another cat or kitten? sometime in the future?

I have Holly and Mandie. They keep me busy. It doesn't really help the pain much though. Maybe in time.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just had another crying spell. I was just eating grapes. I saw the vine and began crying. Cocoa used to like to play with grape vines. Whenever I ate grapes then threw the vines away he'd fish them out of the trash and play with them. He somehow always knew they were there. I finally had to put them in a bag in the freezer. He could choke on them or swallow them if he bit off a piece. He was such an incredible joy. He could find fun and a toy in just about anything. I love you baby boy.

Last edited: