How do you accept?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First I want to express my heartfelt sympathy for everyone's loss of their beloved precious family member.   There is really nothing for us anyway that can be said to stop the beginning of this grief but knowing there are others out there does make a difference as many people in our face to face life just do not get it.

Anyway.. how do you accept?   I don't and won't ever.  My beloved sweet little boy died and sudden and tragic death of HCM (hyportrophic Cardiac Myopathy.  He was a color point persian mother white, father seal point called hymalyans but have the flat face since mixed with persians.   The breeder now that we have looked into this knew.   Muggins had some issues right from the start , smaller than his sister who has a different father, and a neurological disorder on his front leg that twitched when laying down.  He also panted when scared and my vet was suspicious because of his small size and panting of a possible heart condition, however throughout the years the heart never had any sounds suspicious or activity when examined and the panting went away pretty quicky.  He grew into a 13 pound beauty and was as sweet as can be, active,content did however have bouts of vomiting for no reason fixed with a 1/4 pepcid AC prescribed.

I saw him 10 minutes before I walked into the living room to see why he did not come for dinner and picked him up brought him into the kitchen sat him down and he had no use of his hind legs anymore, they were cold and no feeling.  I knew immediately we had lost him having worked for a vet that it was not a break or disc problem but blood flow and more than not a clot.   We were right,   

I am livid that the breeder unlike many that know now of this and 40 percent of persians are affected some will die within weeks or months if both parenets carry the gene yet still are breeding and not conducting regular testing.  Eventually the persian, rag doll, hymalyans, exotics will be extinct as money is the concern not the horrible deaths these cats will face.  The only saving grace was he was in no pain as most are in excruciating pain from this.   

No I can never accept.. I am angry why a sweet little boy was taken from us.  Angry very few breeders are talking or advising clients of this.  The few that are offer a 6 year pet guarantee when its 5-7 years most start to fail or die like this.  The money has never been a option for us and taking it back kinda of a trade off and would not want it.  Nor can we ever get another and go through this with such high odds and lack of respoinsibility from breeders and trust.   

His sister cannot be told waht happened  It is like losing your kid and never knowing where he is she just keeps looking and will not let us out of her sight , stares at the bedroom door for hours hoping he appears its been 5 weeks.

We are jdevestated and cannot seem to get through this one....   thanks for letting me share... my prayers are for each of you that you can heal and your heart be calmed i just do not think it will ever be possible for us.

I'm so sorry. He is absolutely beautiful. My Cocoa died within a week and a half after vomiting. It isn't unusual for my cats to have hairballs so I thought it was that. There's more but the basic jist of it is it went so fast. I'm very devastated. I went for the longest time wondering what I missed. What I did or didn't do that made my precious baby so sick. I did everything to protect him. How could this have happened?

tinker place

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry could not find the edit button but wanted to add.. I feel my Mugguns also and close my eyes and pet his nose and talk to him, then run my hands down his head and back and between my fingers his tail.  I see him in the dark all the time, and when the door is ajar in the hall looking into the bedroom, probably my imagination but i still talk to him also so understand what is going on..

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night, Merlin was meandering around the house and found a toy spring-- which he likes to play with at random (just like anyting else on the floor) so I took it and threw it for him and played with him for a bit, and watching him play made me feel better. It's hard not to smile watching a cat run around so carefree.

My sister is making a scrapbook and shadow box to commemorate Sotches. 

A shadow box is a good idea. It does my heart good to see or hear Mandie and Holly play.

tinker place

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry. He is absolutely beautiful. My Cocoa died within a week and a half after vomiting. It isn't unusual for my cats to have hairballs so I thought it was that. There's more but the basic jist of it is it went so fast. I'm very devastated. I went for the longest time wondering what I missed. What I did or didn't do that made my precious baby so sick. I did everything to protect him. How could this have happened?
you did not do anything but this is so common what could we have done?  I did not know that this cat disease even existed until now and its years old but why would i be looking?  It came about after we got ours.

Please do not blame yourself its life on lifes terms and I think some of us are meant to have these babies as they needed us what a privlige... sorry for typos still crying..

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry could not find the edit button but wanted to add.. I feel my Mugguns also and close my eyes and pet his nose and talk to him, then run my hands down his head and back and between my fingers his tail.  I see him in the dark all the time, and when the door is ajar in the hall looking into the bedroom, probably my imagination but i still talk to him also so understand what is going on..

Maybe their little spirits will stay with us. I thought I was losing it but knowing others see their cats too makes me feel less crazy.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, @angels4mom, my condolences go out to you because of your mom's death, I nearly lost my mom last summer, from almost drowning, but she was lucky that a doctor was near and gave her CPR.  I was not there, but I know it must not have been her time.  I think I would have been numb if she passed, because when she was in the hospital, it all felt unreal.

The story about your cat Cocoa makes me smile not because you are hurting, but because I can picture the little rascal, swatting the dried poops out of his litterbox. Maybe he thought he was helping you.

It is also funny, that so many members of TCSite have cats that are not afraid of water.  Almost all of mine did not even like it if I accidentally spilled water, they would run.

How your guy was not afraid of running water is beyond me.  Very brave cat.

I know what you mean about the stronger bond, but with my RainBow Sparky it was like that but I thought it was just because he was really gentle.

thanks for the glue info., I remember seeing those sticks.

That photo is adorable, I don't know what is going on, and whose who, but I have to say, that the top one who is stretching looks like she is going to fall out.....lol..

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, @angels4mom
, my condolences go out to you because of your mom's death, I nearly lost my mom last summer, from almost drowning, but she was lucky that a doctor was near and gave her CPR.  I was not there, but I know it must not have been her time.  I think I would have been numb if she passed, because when she was in the hospital, it all felt unreal.

The story about your cat Cocoa makes me smile not because you are hurting, but because I can picture the little rascal, swatting the dried poops out of his litterbox. Maybe he thought he was helping you.
It is also funny, that so many members of TCSite have cats that are not afraid of water.  Almost all of mine did not even like it if I accidentally spilled water, they would run.
How your guy was not afraid of running water is beyond me.  Very brave cat.

I know what you mean about the stronger bond, but with my RainBow Sparky it was like that but I thought it was just because he was really gentle.

thanks for the glue info., I remember seeing those sticks.

That photo is adorable, I don't know what is going on, and whose who, but I have to say, that the top one who is stretching looks like she is going to fall out.....lol..

Lol. The character is Cocoa. His sister Mandie is on a step just below him. It's a kitty condo. He's on the bed part. I have a video clip of it on my phone too. I have several clips of him playing. He found just about anything to be a toy. He was a sweet, warm and playful soul. If I had my own house and the money I would've had one of those cat things installed where there would've been posts, tall and high planks. A cat's dream. He liked to scoop kibbles out of his bowl and play with them. Sometimes I'd throw a piece onto the floor and say "Fetch booboo fetch". He'd go for it, play with it or eat it and come back for more. Booboo was a nickname I gave him. My baby booboo bear. He too should've had 10 more years here. Not cut short at 1 year. My precious angel will never be forgotten.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

First I want to express my heartfelt sympathy for everyone's loss of their beloved precious family member.   There is really nothing for us anyway that can be said to stop the beginning of this grief but knowing there are others out there does make a difference as many people in our face to face life just do not get it.

Anyway.. how do you accept?   I don't and won't ever.  My beloved sweet little boy died and sudden and tragic death of HCM (hyportrophic Cardiac Myopathy.  He was a color point persian mother white, father seal point called hymalyans but have the flat face since mixed with persians.   The breeder now that we have looked into this knew.   Muggins had some issues right from the start , smaller than his sister who has a different father, and a neurological disorder on his front leg that twitched when laying down.  He also panted when scared and my vet was suspicious because of his small size and panting of a possible heart condition, however throughout the years the heart never had any sounds suspicious or activity when examined and the panting went away pretty quicky.  He grew into a 13 pound beauty and was as sweet as can be, active,content did however have bouts of vomiting for no reason fixed with a 1/4 pepcid AC prescribed.

I saw him 10 minutes before I walked into the living room to see why he did not come for dinner and picked him up brought him into the kitchen sat him down and he had no use of his hind legs anymore, they were cold and no feeling.  I knew immediately we had lost him having worked for a vet that it was not a break or disc problem but blood flow and more than not a clot.   We were right,   .....

.... Please don't let the pain and anger overpower the good times. 
I agree with @CBowdidge, that pain and anger will one day lessen, and you will also remember all the good times you had with Muggins.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I see her, below....lol.( I made the photo larger..lol)

I didn't know Cocoa was a soccer player too, LOL...Instead of " Booboo", it should have been something like "pele" or "maradonna"....I don't remember soccer players, unless the Fifa World Cup is on.

You can actually teach a cat to fetch?....lol.....wow, my next guy better make sure to learn this then...lol.

They all should have "10 more years" at least, and without any stupid diseases thrown in.

Have any of you read the thread started by a TSC member called "Gareth".   I read it and it made me cry, but I printed it and put it beside my computer.

Only the first post.  It mainly has to do with when you have to put a cat to sleep.

But I also found it describes the "promise" all us cat people make, to our cats, whether we know it or not.

If you want to read it, it is here:http://www.thecatsite.com/t/237066/when-the-moment-comes

It will make you cry, alot, but I found that it helped me too,

just in knowing that when your cat dies, you have to suffer but that it will pass.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I see her, below....lol.( I made the photo larger..lol)

I didn't know Cocoa was a soccer player too, LOL...Instead of " Booboo", it should have been something like "pele" or "maradonna"....I don't remember soccer players, unless the Fifa World Cup is on.
You can actually teach a cat to fetch?....lol.....wow, my next guy better make sure to learn this then...lol.

They all should have "10 more years" at least, and without any stupid diseases thrown in.

Have any of you read the thread started by a TSC member called "Gareth".   I read it and it made me cry, but I printed it and put it beside my computer.
 Only the first post.  It mainly has to do with when you have to put a cat to sleep.

But I also found it describes the "promise" all us cat people make, to our cats, whether we know it or not.
If you want to read it, it is here:http://www.thecatsite.com/t/237066/when-the-moment-comes

It will make you cry, alot, but I found that it helped me too,
just in knowing that when your cat dies, you have to suffer but that it will pass.

Having to have Cocoa put to sleep was a heart wrenching choice. I cradled him in my arms in his fleece blanket and told him what heaven was like. His eyes were closed. He was so weak. Then the vet gave him a sedative. Should've given me one too!! She gave him the other drug and he was gone. His little face was showing through the blanket. His tiny tongue stuck out part way. I caressed his head and kissed him goodbye. It's been super hard going day to day without him to hold and play with. That and the memories of him being sick plus the night he died have been overwhelming.

tinker place

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We celebrate every day with the hundreds of of pictures we have of him and his amazing life.  We were offered to give him back and also offered to keep him and get another free when we told the breeder he was under wieght and panting at 6 weeks old.  We declined both as he was ours in our heart with the first kiss.  This breeder is out of buisness, and his pedigree line is all over the world.  Unforunately as many they refuse to have them tested and stop breeding positives this is why now over 40 percent of exotics are afflicted with this gene.  Good news there are some responsible breeders that are removing any positives from their breeding cats, and also breeding cats without persian hearts together to try and save this breed as are other breeds like the Ragdoll, Hymalyans, and other exotics.   This is a crisis in exotics, yes domestics also can have this as humans but this is now something that can be treated and hopefully elliminated from growing with new tests.   

The best thing we can do to honor Muggins is make others aware that this is not random as in humans and other animals it is something now that demands attention and action to avoid more needless suffering and horrible pain to these precious animals who have no say so, and the wreching heartache we indure by doing our part not to contribute to these breeders greed.  There are currently only a hand full of breeders that test requarly and foundations for a less expense scan and places to get them which are few.  In California there are only two know breeders testing and both have found the HCM gene in their cats and only 3 others that test reguarly in the United States that have come up with no HCM breeding cats... that is scary.    

I appreciate your comments and empathy for our loss and believe me he lived way longer than most do for that we are proud as he was loved each and every day of his life , in fact we often laughed that we did not doot on our kids as much...LOL

From my heart thank you...

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh WOW.  @CBowdidge, that is freaky....lol.    The only thing that looks different is the spot on the chin, your Patches has it on the opposite side.  That is wild.....  They say we all have doubles, but I did not think that I'd find one so close.   Thanks for that shot, I have to show it to my sister

ps. I agree, it never seems long enough, but sometimes owners die first, so I guess I understood what you meant, because you want them to last forever.....but that "love" does last forever, no matter where they are physically.  I don't think that love can ever die.

Last edited:

tinker place

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am angry that breeders know yet still keep breeding, and killing our precious babies.  I have been online with several breeders all day and breeders refuse to stop.. and we will soon read in the history books about these beautiful cats as they will all die out.  If the mother and father both have this gene the kitten will more than likely die within months if that long, and it is also likely a very horrible painful death.  some thing in life we are powerless over like losing him, but we are not powerless over trying to prevent others from this nightmare and hopefully our little ones this destiny...

I understand your concern and anger does not help the healing, however never accept the way it happened due to human greed...  

Our babies are waiting for us healthy that is our saving grace..  I have to believe that...

tinker place

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you Mservent it will pass and is actually now its getting into being relentless about letting others know.  got a invite from 5 breeders all trying to work with this to join their FB pages... God works through people and animals for sure....   

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't even want to think of the day I put Sparky to sleep.

At first it was really bothering me, like I had to remember, because I was afraid to forget.   So I went over each moment in my mind's eye, and it played back at night, skipped some nights, then played again.  I decided to stop thinking about the whole process, because it was like too much focusing on the end, and not enough on the beginning, or the good times between.  So I just now want to block it, but it is difficult, since you never forget moments like that.

I have never forgotten pts my dog 3 years ago, or another dog in 2000.

With my cat though, it seemed all different from the dogs,similar to how you described it with Cocoa, but I did not need that sedative, until later.....it hit me hard when I got home, and for a couple days after that.

But my guy too, was very sick and jaundiced, so that even though it is hard for me to say this, it was the kindest thing for him. (but I still hate it) 

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really don't even want to think of the day I put Sparky to sleep.
At first it was really bothering me, like I had to remember, because I was afraid to forget.   So I went over each moment in my mind's eye, and it played back at night, skipped some nights, then played again.  I decided to stop thinking about the whole process, because it was like too much focusing on the end, and not enough on the beginning, or the good times between.  So I just now want to block it, but it is difficult, since you never forget moments like that.
 I have never forgotten pts my dog 3 years ago, or another dog in 2000.

With my cat though, it seemed all different from the dogs,similar to how you described it with Cocoa, but I did not need that sedative, until later.....it hit me hard when I got home, and for a couple days after that.
But my guy too, was very sick and jaundiced, so that even though it is hard for me to say this, it was the kindest thing for him. (but I still hate it) 

I don't want to think about it either. It just comes to me. Did I mention that my guy got Mandie so active she lost 3 pounds. She's needed to lose weight. After her sister died in 2009 she got so depressed and inactive she gained weight. I tried everything to get her to lose but Cocoa did it. I didn't over feed her or give people food. She was just inactive. Now she has a lot of flab from the weight loss. She had a lot before but has more now. She sometimes lets out a battle cry just before she runs around and plays by herself. It's a hoot.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, then its harder when that happens, cause I try to block it and distract myself.

My 14 yr old senior Spotty, has that flab hanging down as well, but I read on this Site that it is normal, it just looks funny and loose hanging skin.  My guy seems to like playing alot now too.  He chases his tail, and sometimes just walks around and mumbles.  

How old is she?

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, then its harder when that happens, cause I try to block it and distract myself.

My 14 yr old senior Spotty, has that flab hanging down as well, but I read on this Site that it is normal, it just looks funny and loose hanging skin.  My guy seems to like playing alot now too.  He chases his tail, and sometimes just walks around and mumbles.  

How old is she?

She's 14. Cocoa was an incredible spark of life for us. While he made me laugh and smile he chased and pounced on the girls. Once he crouched down on my bed, his little ears went back and he pounced. It was so cute. When he first came here he tried to catch his tail but it was so little he couldn't catch it.