How Did You Name Your Cats?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first decided it was time to get a new cat we wanted an all white cat. I wanted it all white because being a Dragonball fan I wanted to name the cat Korin like a character in the anime.

An acquaintance of mine reached out to me saying that her moms cat had 1 single kitten, and that she was all white. I was actually on vacation in Hawaii when she called me. She sent me a picture of a tiny white newborn kitten. I told her I would take her. Obviously I would have to wait for her to be weaned from her Mom.

So we were excited and couldn’t wait to take Korin home. So when the time finally came, we went to pick her up and she was no longer all white, she had color in her tail, ears, and face. At that point I did not care that she wasn’t all white. We fell right in love with her and so we decided to keep the name Korin it seemed to fit her just right.
View attachment 207442
View attachment 207443
:hearthrob::redheartpump::heartshape::bouquet::catlove::happycat:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always liked to theme my pets names. My birds were named after the Beach Boy's song Kokomo (Had a Kokomo, Aruba, and Barbados) My clownfish were named after I Love Lucy characters (Fred and Ethel, Lucy and Ricky..)

My cats are named after artists. Monet and Picasso (though I call Picasso Cassie, easier to say). Monet is my favorite artist of all time. If I get another cat, it'd be called DaVinci
I don't remember Barbados in the song Kokomo. But I like the name.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilith- it was her name at the shelter. I liked it so we kept it. She is more often called Lily Belle, Little Belle or Queen. She rules this house with an iron paw despite the fact that she might be 5 pounds soaking wet.

Sophie- She was Midge at the shelter. I wasn't there to meet her. I was there to meet Lily (her sister). I ended up taking both. I called my DD from the parking lot of the shelter (she was away at school) to let her know she had 2 new sisters. She suggested Sophie and we went with it. Sophie is more often referred to as Kitten (she is also very small), Sophiesaurus (she is fearless), Baby Girl (she is the youngest animal in the house) and Bunny Girl (bunnies are small and cute and so is my baby!)
Do you know what the name "Lilith" means? Lilith from Jewish mythology is a female demon of the night, who is sexually wanton, and who steals newborns in the darkness. Sickly enough, there's also something called "The Lilith Fund" that raises money for hurricane victims to have free abortions... Named after a demon that "steals infants in the night." True story. :cold: So just an FYI that your cat is named after a baby killing demon :blush: Pretty name though!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember Barbados in the song Kokomo. But I like the name.
Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda, Bahama, Key Largo, Montego, Florida Keys, Port au Prince, Martinique, Montserrat
That's all the places, but no Barbados. But that's in the Caribbean anyway!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what the name "Lilith" means? Lilith from Jewish mythology is a female demon of the night, who is sexually wanton, and who steals newborns in the darkness. Sickly enough, there's also something called "The Lilith Fund" that raises money for hurricane victims to have free abortions... Named after a demon that "steals infants in the night." True story. :cold: So just an FYI that your cat is named after a baby killing demon :blush: Pretty name though!
She is also considered the original sinner.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is actually not named "after" anyone or anything. I'm not Jewish and mythology IMO is nothing more than ancient fairy tales. :dunno:

The Lilith Fund is for women in Texas who are unable to afford an abortion. My girl has been spayed so she won't be getting an abortion any time soon. :catman:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is actually not named "after" anyone or anything. I'm not Jewish and mythology IMO is nothing more than ancient fairy tales. :dunno:

The Lilith Fund is for women in Texas who are unable to afford an abortion. My girl has been spayed so she won't be getting an abortion any time soon. :catman:
I'm pretty sure that what MeganLLB was trying to do was just give a 'did you know' type of thing. What should have been mentioned was it was Jewish Biblical mythology. Not like Greek mythology. I don't think it was meant to suggest your kitten was evil and so is anyone named Lilith. (Although Lilith in Cheers wasn't too pleasant).