How Did You Name Your Cats?

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe the record weight for Maine Coons, before the record was done away with for health reasons, was 46 pounds; Stewie, however:

holds the current overall record, and 49½ inches - 123 centimeters. That's Bob plus 4½ inches. Stewie looks happy in that photo - either he'd just eaten, or he was just about to eat. Actually, that probably just about describes his daily routine.

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous Hunter with us!
He looks like a tiger! How can he even be lifted?:jawdrop: I can just imagine him next to our smallest cat, Suki... she's so short and stubby (but the loudest!:lol:)

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Merlin77 Merlin77 - How can he be lifted? Ahhh... mightyboosh mightyboosh and his Family are British, and the British can do anything they set their minds to. Winston Churchill said so.

;)
:lolup: Well, I suppose that must be true! (how else would they be able to do it?)

Here are some more pictures of Hunter I tracked down on my laptop:

This is him talking with Snake, who you can see in the very left.
HUNT0672.JPG

And here he is posing for the spy camera! Looks like it was in the middle of winter, his pelt is covered in snow!

HUNT0684.JPG

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What cool and creative names!

Toulouse - we had "named" a feral queen that visits our garden / yard occasionally Latrec. Although we aren't sure, we suspected that Toulouse was one of her babies, abandoned, so we went with the same them after Toulouse Latrec (a french painter.) We later learned that Toulouse is the name of one of the Aristocats kitties. We call her Lucy for short.

Mog - My husband named him after a cute little guy in the Final Fantasy video game series. There are these animals called moogles, and the first one you meet is called Mog. Almost every one after that is some varation of that: Moggie, Mogrio, Moma, Momatose, etc. It's fun to have so many nicknames to call him. We later learned that Mog or Moggy is what you call a mixed-breed cat in England, so it does double duty!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll add a couple more, just for fun - Clawed-Ya and her Mother, Black Friday:

claw_friday.jpg

Black Friday (right) came in on 24 September, just over two years ago, and hence was named for the 1869 Stock Market crash which took place on that day. Her daughter, Clawed-Ya (left), was trapped about 48 hours later, and her name signifies exactly what you might imagine. Both were feral - born outside to Parents born outside - and now, two years later, are sweet, gentle, Loving housecats who have forgotten what it was like not to have a home and a Family of other kitties, and six or seven square meals a day.

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All the cats I had growing up:

Lady: was named before we got her

Lizzie: IDK. I was like 13, I guess I liked it

Smokey- was a Gray Tabby

Tanner: Same, 14 liked the name

Bradley: My mom wanted to name him Henry after my late Grandpa, that made me sad so we named him Bradley Henry

Ace: A kitten who was stuck in our roof- my ex boyfriend got him out and his nickname was Ace

Billy: ornery cat named after my ornery grandpa

Current Cats:
Zoey: named off a cat name list

Luna: had tons of name, but this one became set while I was rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Penny: Just came to me because her fur reminded me of copper. Also probably because I love the Big Bang Theory

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Freddy: I was really young when we got him and I wanted to name him Barney after Barney the Dinosaur (and because he was born in a barn), but my mom wouldn't let me. So, then I wanted to name him after my favorite character on Full House who was Joey, but I thought his name was Freddy in the moment. Therefore, he was named Freddy.

Pansey: When we got her, the owner had given her that named because she thought her markings looked like a Pansy flower and the name just stuck.

Little Kitty: We could NOT come up with a name for this cat. She was super tiny and we just kept calling her Kitty. We tried to name her Missy at one point, but it just never stuck. She's pretty much always been Kitty.

Luna: Named after the black cat Luna on Sailor Moon

Artemis: Named after the white cat Artemis on Sailor Moon

I also had a persian named Norman for a few days, but he was sick and I took him back to the breeder. I really just needed a name for the vet and that's what he looked like to me.

Darkwave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my humble opinion, the cats have no name. I remember a study stating that only 30% of the cats actually answer when they are called by their name. In my view, this is because the cats walk by themselves ...:-).
Funny - all of ours definitely know their names. When all three are together, I can call a name, and only that one will respond.

We have three currently.

1) Isabella. My very first cat as a child was Arabella, and then my first cat as an adult was Aramina. To continue echoing the Arabella theme, I went with Isabella when I adopted her. Isabella is beautiful (in my loving opinion) but also quite silly and zany. So Isabella captures her beauty, and Izzy works when she's being silly.

2-3) The littermates Topaz and Quartz. It was a work to convince sig other to agree to adopting them (no worries - he adores them). To sweeten the deal, I told him he could name them. He chose Topaz and Quartz.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend insists on asking the cats what their name is. Sometimes they don't tell us for weeks. I named Tommy, and later asked my boyfriend if Tom was ok with it, and he said that Tommy was good with about anything and didn't mind it. His full name is Tomas Tommy Bubba Puma El Pumador Gargoyle II. Mr Gargoyle is a blue cat that was always hovering around me, just chilling like a cat statue guarding over his domain and taking everything in. One time he barfed from the top of the fridge and looked like this:

Yue was actually named Ursula because she was a Little Bear. However, when my boyfriend was watching the cartoon Avatar, she decided to jump up in front of the screen and started meowing loudly when Princess Yue came on the screen for the 1 episode. So, she is Princess Yue Pants.

He said Amalie's name was Amalie. She's my Amalie Ama Tiny Tiger... A very mouthy little tortie, who is full of opinions.

He said Stewart's name was Stewart. He's Stewart Stewy Stubby Boy Stew Meat Stewburger.

shadowkitty10

"Mom" of Many Kitties
Kitten
Purraise
Well...

Whiskers--She is simply named for her best feature, her whiskers. I almost named her "Mittens", but I'm happy I didn't because of the tough-cat personality she has. "Mittens" doesn't fit that!

Miss Stache--She is a calico who was born with a mustache, and being the "inventive" (not really) person I am, I took out the "mu", added "Miss", and she was named!

Sonny and Cher--I named my black male and my tortie female after that duo to humor my mom. They don't really fit together, since Sonny loves going outside and trying to catch everything he sees, while Cher won't get close to the door.

Greyson--He's that kind of cat with this really serious, "manly" face, but he never acts like it. Anyway, I just gave him a British-sounding name because it sounded good. No other reason.

Pumpkin--She's always been really small compared to her siblings, and she has this adorable pumpkin-colored nose and her fur is a cinnamon color. It made me think of pumpkin pie, so we gave her the name Pumpkin and it still fits her.

Tigger--She has that same cinnamon colored fur as her sister, but like the Winnie the Pooh character, she's super outgoing and energetic.

Pink Nose and Black Nose--Back to my "inventive" self. When Fluffy (she ran away, her full name was Fluffybottom, by the way) had eight kittens, we kind of ran out of names for these two calicoes. I guess you know what color their noses are.

That's pretty much it! :catman:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wikipedia. ;p

But seriously, when I was in college, I had a betta fish named Loki, and I always figured I'd continue the gods and goddesses theme when I got another pet. But none of the major ones seemed right, and her name at the rescue was Laylani, so I thought I'd look for something similar and started looking for all the minor and lesser known goddesses I could. And I found "Lelia" on the Wikipedia page of Slavic gods and I kept coming back to it, and when I met her it seemed to fit, so Lelia she became.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend insists on asking the cats what their name is. Sometimes they don't tell us for weeks. I named Tommy, and later asked my boyfriend if Tom was ok with it, and he said that Tommy was good with about anything and didn't mind it. His full name is Tomas Tommy Bubba Puma El Pumador Gargoyle II. Mr Gargoyle is a blue cat that was always hovering around me, just chilling like a cat statue guarding over his domain and taking everything in. One time he barfed from the top of the fridge and looked like this:

Yue was actually named Ursula because she was a Little Bear. However, when my boyfriend was watching the cartoon Avatar, she decided to jump up in front of the screen and started meowing loudly when Princess Yue came on the screen for the 1 episode. So, she is Princess Yue Pants.

He said Amalie's name was Amalie. She's my Amalie Ama Tiny Tiger... A very mouthy little tortie, who is full of opinions.

He said Stewart's name was Stewart. He's Stewart Stewy Stubby Boy Stew Meat Stewburger.
:crackup:Great name! Boyfriend is a definite 'keeper'!:clap::clap2::redheartpump::hearthrob:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We first saw a little grey and white stray cat in the Spring of 2016 jumping out of the apartment buildings dumpster and running away. I would talk to her (although at the time we didn't know she was a she) & eventually she would stop at a distance and look back before running away. Mid summer we spotted her looking terrible, mangy & sick, then she disappeared for a few months. Early Oct she reappeared looking well. We live on the second story in a quiet neighborhood with huge old trees & houses. Our back door faces an alley and we feed the squirrels & birds there. She was eating their bread one day so we started throwing down hot dogs & cooked chicken to her, finally buying a bag of cat food and feeding her on the stairs. We had food and water at the top of the stairs on our porch where, over time, she would let us sit & pet her. She acted like she wanted to come inside so we put some food and water just inside the door leaving it open so she wouldn't panic until one day, as I was going out, Mr possum was outside the door at the empty food bowl ready to come in too! We shut the door but let her out when she wanted to go. I got a litter pan and she took to it immediately. I gave her an anti-flea treatment. and took her to the vet to get a check up, vet said she was 1 or 2 yrs old. APL had at some point trapped, spayed, clipped her ear & turned her loose again.The weather was turning colder and she started staying inside more, sleeping overnight in a bed we got her and dropping in during the day. We don't have loose dogs or mean folks in the area so we were still letting her out in the morning or whenever she wanted, she would come when we whistled and called, until one day in January 2017 when she came in limping on her right back paw. She hasn't been out solo since that day. When the weather warmed up she really wanted to go out so we got her a walking jack so we can go out with her. Photos of our excursions are in one of my albums. We tried many names but nothing seemed to suit her (she made no suggestions) until we all finally decided on Gypsy since she had wandered the neighborhood for such a long while.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith- it was her name at the shelter. I liked it so we kept it. She is more often called Lily Belle, Little Belle or Queen. She rules this house with an iron paw despite the fact that she might be 5 pounds soaking wet.

Sophie- She was Midge at the shelter. I wasn't there to meet her. I was there to meet Lily (her sister). I ended up taking both. I called my DD from the parking lot of the shelter (she was away at school) to let her know she had 2 new sisters. She suggested Sophie and we went with it. Sophie is more often referred to as Kitten (she is also very small), Sophiesaurus (she is fearless), Baby Girl (she is the youngest animal in the house) and Bunny Girl (bunnies are small and cute and so is my baby!)

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is named Levi. After a Japanese Anime character. In the show humans are hunted by titans and the small humans use swords and special gear to hook on trees and fly around and kill the monsters who eat them. Levi is the brave leader in the show. Instead of knives my kitty has claws and he flies around just as quick as the character.

Attachments

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I first decided it was time to get a new cat we wanted an all white cat. I wanted it all white because being a Dragonball fan I wanted to name the cat Korin like a character in the anime.

An acquaintance of mine reached out to me saying that her moms cat had 1 single kitten, and that she was all white. I was actually on vacation in Hawaii when she called me. She sent me a picture of a tiny white newborn kitten. I told her I would take her. Obviously I would have to wait for her to be weaned from her Mom.

So we were excited and couldn’t wait to take Korin home. So when the time finally came, we went to pick her up and she was no longer all white, she had color in her tail, ears, and face. At that point I did not care that she wasn’t all white. We fell right in love with her and so we decided to keep the name Korin it seemed to fit her just right.
ECA3B764-6A82-4140-ABC9-C40FAF94DEE3.png

DA544CF1-5C67-46C1-B44B-A74548550AF4.jpeg

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've always liked to theme my pets names. My birds were named after the Beach Boy's song Kokomo (Had a Kokomo, Aruba, and Barbados) My clownfish were named after I Love Lucy characters (Fred and Ethel, Lucy and Ricky..)

My cats are named after artists. Monet and Picasso (though I call Picasso Cassie, easier to say). Monet is my favorite artist of all time. If I get another cat, it'd be called DaVinci