How Did You Name Your Cats?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see.
  • :rbheart: Kittikins -- The cat we had when I was a child. Named by my mother for her childhood cat.
  • :rbheart: Sweet Thing -- There was simply no other name for this cat. It was obvious the first time I set eyes on her. My heart kitty.
  • :rbheart: Dulcie -- One of Sweet Thing's daughters, named immediately after her birth because her coat had a similar pattern to her mother's, and "Dulcie" means "Sweet."
  • :rbheart: Silky -- Another daughter of Sweet Thing. Named as soon as she was dry after birth for her long, silky fur. Her coat was actually more like her mother's than Dulcie's was.
  • :rbheart: Velvet -- The third daughter of Sweet Thing. Actually, "Black Velvet," also named shortly after birth for her fur.
  • :rbheart: Nimbus -- Sweet Thing's only son. He was a gray tabby and resembled a storm cloud. It happened to fit his temperament, too.
  • :rbheart: Pretzel -- Yellow/ginger cat with darker stripes and spots (almost like an ocicat), and lame in her left front leg due to nerve damage. When she came to us her name was "Tres," as in "Numero Tres," apparently because of her bum leg. I wasn't about to have a cat with a number instead of a name, so I looked for something that sounded at least a little like "Tres" (so as not to confuse her) and Pretzel was the best I could come up with. The color was right, and feline agility enables cats to get into pretzel-like positions, so Pretzel it was.
  • :rbheart: Floppy -- When she came to us she was named "Fluffy," which is a stereotype, and she habitually would flop over on her back so people could admire and stroke her adorable belly, and "Floppy" and "Fluffy" have similar sounds.
  • Jasmine -- When she came to us she was named Taz, which sounds like the Disney character and didn't fit her personality, except to the extent that it fits all cats. So, once again, I looked for a name that fit her and didn't sound too different from the name she was accustomed to. Nothing I tried worked, until one night when Roger heard me talking to her in my sleep, and in my sleep I called her Jasmine.
Margret
:clap::redheartpump::hugs::redheartpump::clap2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Zaren and Kane (RIP) are named after my wife and I. A few times we had friends refer to us as Sharron and Kane instead of Shane and Karen. Both cats were boys so Sharron became Zaren.

My wife named Taz, after Bugs Bunny Taz. We got a three year old female from the Humane Society and she came to us as Chloe. My wife renamed her to Zoe as she liked the sound of Taz and Zoe.

I named Kitty and Rusty.

Rusty because his fur was rust stained when I trapped him. I am fairly certain their mother birthed then in the steel beams they used to spend the day in.

Kitty on the left and Rusty on the right

Kitty because she is an adorable little calico cat, she is my Pretty Little Kitty so I went with Kitty.
:clap::hearthrob::redheartpump: :catrub::clap2: :wave2: :rock:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had 3 cats during my life. The first was Sabrina when I was 3 years old so I don't believe I was the one to name her. The second was Willow and she was adopted from a neighbor so I didn't get to name her either. My third is Gizmo and he's the first one I've been able to name. I had watched the movie Gremlins in October of last year and I'm sure everybody remembers Gizmo the mogwai! I told myself that was the perfect name and when I adopted this weirdo kitten from the shelter when he was 10 weeks old, his shelter name of Stan was quickly switched to Gizmo.
:clap::hearthrob::redheartpump::clap2:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sir Eats-A-Lot was originally named "Norman" at the shelter. He definitely didn't seem like a Norman, so I figured I'd call him something else. He was really a do-nothing at first (didn't know he was ill when I adopted him), so I facetiously called him "Captain Marvel." After he got better, he started acting more like a cat than a loaf of bread. He seemed to have an insatiable appetite, so I just referred to him for a while as "Feed Me." The moniker Sir-Eats-A-Lot was given to him by a pair of carpenters who were working on my house.

As for Chesterfield, they just called him "Chester" at the shelter. The name seemed to work for him, but since his companion was a knight of the realm, I figured he needed something to give him a little more class, so "Chester" was changed to Chesterfield.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I got this huge red cameo tabby Maine Coon from PetSmart with the boring name of Jackson to which he did not answer as far as I could tell. He was 11 1/2 years old but I thought I'd name him something to go with his looks, either something lion-like or about his color. Couldn't find anything exotic sounding that I liked to go with a lion. The somebody said how about Chamouti, that's an orange tree growing in the Middle East. As I had a friend who lives in Jordan I asked him what that name meant, he said it is the name of that orange tree like we have Valencias or CaraCaras and was probably the name of the person who first bred it. So this huge red cat is now Chamouti and when people ask I just say it's Arabic for orange. I also refer to him as my living room lion.
I also have seal point Birman whom I named Capucchino because of her coloring: dark brown points like coffee, beige body like cream and white paws like milk, the perfect Capucchino.
Bebe (the French pronunciation) is a silver Persian, her face is like a baby's, flat and cute with huge eyes and she has lots of hair like Brigitte Bardot, the French access of the 1950s who was also referred to as B.B.
Panthera, a sleek all black moggie, he is a house panther and looks like a real panther in miniature, thus the name
Patrick came with the name and he is a foster, black with semi-long hair, looking for a forever home.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my humble opinion, the cats have no name. I remember a study stating that only 30% of the cats actually answer when they are called by their name. In my view, this is because the cats walk by themselves ...:-). Wild things.
My cat's name is Pis-kiritz (or something like that ... :-)) I never remember the correct spelling. Does it mean something? No, Not at all. But as long as he will not answer to any name, why shall I care about the meaning of the name ?!

The name is meaningless just because it is meaningless to give name to a cat, in my opinion. But on the other side, who am I to refuse giving name to a cat?! So definitely he must have a name. Although it is not important to have one, since there is no reason to have a name. Or perhaps absence of the name would be not natural, from human perspective.

Why we give names to ourselves anyway?! I know who I am. And I will be not different if my name were a different one. So, do I change myself following changing of my name? No! Am I different person if I give up any name? No! Do I refer to myself, by my name? No! So, why shall I give a name to my cat?! Because he will still be the same cat in absence of any name. I doubt he thinks to himself by the name I gave him. Or, I doubt he will stop thinking to himself if I would have forget to give him a name.

Question: What is the name of my cat? :-))

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did you come up with your cats names?

Here's my stories.
Dunkin- He was found on Dunkin St. great naming story, huh?

Enginette- Out whole family are car people. So when we first got Enginette, we thought she was a boy. She's was only like 6 weeks old. We named him Engine, But later on, we realized he was really a she, so we added Ette; Enginette.

Repeat- Repeat is Enginettes son. When he was born, he looks and acted retarded. So we started calling him Retarded Peter ( nephew was chose Peter), then it got shortened to Retarded Pete, then it got shortened to Repeat. He still acts kinda retarded at times, but i don't think he is anymore lol.

Daphne- Brother liked the name lol. No reasoning behind this.
Monster- the biggest stinker on the five kittens, so we call him Monster due to his monsterous size.
Viviolent- brother chose this name. Idk?
Augustina- Random name.
Demetrius- Random name.
Venom- Newphew named him, because he named a cat (repeats bro) Rhino (he went missing like three years ago :,,,() and Venom looks like Thino, so he named him after Rhino.

Legacy- We were trying to name him after Mean Girls, because he was born on Oct 3. However zero names fit him. My mom and I were driving when I told her that he needs a name. We were passing a store called "Legacy"... so my mom said name him Legacy.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 7 so I will try to be brief on each one Toby was named by my friend who found him - in October. Stormy was found in a storm drain at 3 weeks old.Someone heard him meowing and got me.
Amelia was meowing under our building. She was about 3 months old She had gone exploring and got lost like Amelia Erhart (sp?)
Tipper came to eat at our "diner" He has a tipped ear so I started calling him Tipper and it just stuck.

Deja got rescued shortly afterwards. She is a long hair gray Tabby like Stormy so it was Deja Vue, hence Deja.
Ernie was about a month old when we found him on our porch He needed medical so a friend went with me to the vet. After waiting a long time we counted his toes and thought we saw 5 so we called him Ernie after Hemingway. Once I had some sleep and food I realized he only has 4 toes but Ernie stuck.
Tuly is a feral I brought in after she was being chased by a new male. It is a variation of truly as in I love you truly.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat growing up was Garfield. He was an orange tabby and I loved the Garfield comics. I got him as a kitten when I was five and we grew up together. He lived for 20 years. My next cat was long haired and grey and when I brought him home my husband remarked “what a little fuzz ball”. He wasn’t the friendliest guy so Fuzzball he became! Unfortunately we had to rehome him due to our living situation at the time. He still lives happily with my sister and her family. Our next cat was Mini. I first named her Magonnagal like in Harry Potter but it was a mouthful so my husband started calling her “ Minnie”. She didn’t grow at all so she became Mini. My new cat Oscar came with his name and it suits him... although my sisters say he should be Garfield... but there was only one Garfield and it’s not fair to Oscar to live up to those paws!

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ive wanted a black cat my whole life, so. when i found her. i was trying to think of all these cool panthery names.. but she was so swedt that i started calling her Honeybun, and it just stuck :)

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are mine!!

Snake-I'm a Warrior Cats fan, and I made a cat based off of Snape from Harry Potter, Snakestar. Snakestar was a grey and black tabby. So is Snake, who looked even more black when she was just a kitten. Now she is paler.

Raini--the day we found her kittens in a little shed, it was very rainy. Poor kittens were dying of cold. We tried to save them with a heating lamp but in the end only the strongest pulled through. That was our special Snake. Raini is greyish-blue, just like rain.

Hunter--He is a hunter. Biggest cat you've ever seen with a real tom-like appearance.

Suki--she is so sweet, so sassy and so cute. The name Suki is also all of those things.

Willy--he is a thin, slender grey tabby tom. He was very introverted as a young kitten but now he is the craziest. We named him Willy after Willy Wonka... he acts just like him. Very bizzarre.

Robin--Robin has always been athletic and out little wild cat. We named her after the Teen Titans Robin

Raven--black and fluffy, Raven is the most intelligent kitten out of our four. She took a picture of herself, no more needig to be said. We named her after Raven from the Teen Titans.

Phoenix--he was bright orange and so pink as a kitten. The name Phoenix was just perfect.

Notch (a stray cat we met a long time ago): he had two different coloured eyes and a notched ear. Inevitable name, I guess.

Coconut(a stray cat we met while on vacation): Coconut lived by a pile of Coconuts. Again, an inevitable name!

Tori--Raini's mother (supposedly) who we only saw once in person. She was a tortishell, and the name came from that.

Lucky--one of Snake's littermates, Lucky was found outside the nest and nearly dead. We were about to bury him when we saw him breathing. He was lucky to have a few more hours with his brothers and sisters before dying.

Ash: another one of Snake's littermates. He was dead when we found him, just a stiff grey little kitten. Ashes in a fire are present after a fire dies...

Ruby+Dawn: Snake's other two littermates. Both were ginger, and probably male, but we gave them these feminine names in honor of their colour.

That's all of the names I've ever given to cats. :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hunter--He is a hunter. Biggest cat you've ever seen with a real tom-like appearance.
I named Bob, "Bob," because a bigger name would have just compounded his Bobness.

Merlin77 Merlin77 - Bob says he'd love to see some photos of Hunter.

bob_scottiecat.jpg

Bob's a solid sixteen kilos, and 112 centimeters nose to tail.

I hope that you (and Hunter, of course) will drop in on the Big Breed thread:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

There are some fine big fellows on TCS, including @mightyboosh 's Oliver, who's... well... Oliver's big. Not like my little Bob:

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I named Bob, "Bob," because a bigger name would have just compounded his Bobness.

Merlin77 Merlin77 - Bob says he'd love to see some photos of Hunter.

View attachment 202408

Bob's a solid sixteen kilos, and 112 centimeters nose to tail.

I hope that you (and Hunter, of course) will drop in on the Big Breed thread:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

There are some fine big fellows on TCS, including @mightyboosh 's Oliver, who's... well... Oliver's big. Not like my little Bob:

Wow Bob is huge!! Let me see if I can find a picture of Hunter....
IMG_8384.PNG

It's one of the only good ones we have, we've only seen him in person once and that was when he panicked and crashed through the window of a shed... no injuries though! This photo was taken with a motion activated hunting camera.I assume he's at least 15-16 pounds, maybe more. He's a burly guy, probably not as long/big as Bob though. I have one picture where he is showing off his entire body but it's on my laptop not my phone, I'll upload it soon though.

Is Bob part Maine Coon? He's so fluffy!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merlin77 Merlin77 - Wow - Hunter is a real beauty! Bob's a Norwegian Forest Cat, and at 44 inches and 35 pounds, is about as big as Weegies get; mightyboosh's Oliver is a Maine Coon, from two of the most stellar pedigree lines in Great Britain, and probably in the forty pound range, although his actual weight seems to be protected by MI6.

;)

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Merlin77 Merlin77 - Wow - Hunter is a real beauty! Bob's a Norwegian Forest Cat, and at 44 inches and 35 pounds, is about as big as Weegies get; mightyboosh's Oliver is a Maine Coon, from two of the most stellar pedigree lines in Great Britain, and probably in the forty pound range, although his actual weight seems to be protected by MI6.

;)
That is crazy!! I knew Maine Coons could get up to 20 pounds up had no idea they could get as big as 40!! Hehe, Hunter looks small compared to Bob and Oliver now (don't tell him I said that:paranoid::flail:)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is crazy!! I knew Maine Coons could get up to 20 pounds up had no idea they could get as big as 40!! Hehe, Hunter looks small compared to Bob and Oliver now (don't tell him I said that:paranoid::flail:)

I believe the record weight for Maine Coons, before the record was done away with for health reasons, was 46 pounds; Stewie, however:

holds the current overall record, and 49½ inches - 123 centimeters. That's Bob plus 4½ inches. Stewie looks happy in that photo - either he'd just eaten, or he was just about to eat. Actually, that probably just about describes his daily routine.

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous Hunter with us!