How Did You Name Your Cats?

Humankittylover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did you come up with your cats names?

Here's my stories.
Dunkin- He was found on Dunkin St. great naming story, huh?

Enginette- Out whole family are car people. So when we first got Enginette, we thought she was a boy. She's was only like 6 weeks old. We named him Engine, But later on, we realized he was really a she, so we added Ette; Enginette.

Repeat- Repeat is Enginettes son. When he was born, he looks and acted retarded. So we started calling him Retarded Peter ( nephew was chose Peter), then it got shortened to Retarded Pete, then it got shortened to Repeat. He still acts kinda retarded at times, but i don't think he is anymore lol.

Daphne- Brother liked the name lol. No reasoning behind this.
Monster- the biggest stinker on the five kittens, so we call him Monster due to his monsterous size.
Viviolent- brother chose this name. Idk?
Augustina- Random name.
Demetrius- Random name.
Venom- Newphew named him, because he named a cat (repeats bro) Rhino (he went missing like three years ago :,,,() and Venom looks like Thino, so he named him after Rhino.

Legacy- We were trying to name him after Mean Girls, because he was born on Oct 3. However zero names fit him. My mom and I were driving when I told her that he needs a name. We were passing a store called "Legacy"... so my mom said name him Legacy.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the years, our 13 cats, usually in groups of three to five, have had whimsical or unusual names.

Mouse - our first because we thought it funny to name a cat Mouse

Streaker - he ran like a streak of lightning

Sunshine - he was golden yellow and cinnamon

Mephistopholes - our first black cat

Two-Stroke - found on our motorcycle range. Named after a two-stroke motorcycle engine

Armstrong Stormalong Puddytat (A.K.A. Stormy) - an incredibly clumsy storm cloud gray guy

Merlin - he would magically dispappear

Megabyte - our computer cat that ate electric cords, including my computer mouse

Feather - a rescued Birman with an incredibly full tail she carried like a feather plume

Habanero - a feisty Tuxedo girl

Chocolate - she chose her name after I tried about a dozen, including Souffle, Peppermint, and others. The shelter called her Gypsy, which she clearly didn't like

Darwin - my husband chose this one because this fearless little adopted Russian Blue was always exploring

Velcro - because he sticks like his namesake

In each case the cats had the last say in their names, which means they chose their names from our suggestions.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Zaren and Kane (RIP) are named after my wife and I. A few times we had friends refer to us as Sharron and Kane instead of Shane and Karen. Both cats were boys so Sharron became Zaren.

My wife named Taz, after Bugs Bunny Taz. We got a three year old female from the Humane Society and she came to us as Chloe. My wife renamed her to Zoe as she liked the sound of Taz and Zoe.

I named Kitty and Rusty.

Rusty because his fur was rust stained when I trapped him. I am fairly certain their mother birthed then in the steel beams they used to spend the day in.

Kitty on the left and Rusty on the right

Kitty because she is an adorable little calico cat, she is my Pretty Little Kitty so I went with Kitty.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit boring this but Oliver and Chubchub came pre-named. Betty on the other hand was named Betty Kitler by the less-than-PC person that fed her as a stray. She has a little moustache so you can figure why. We dropped the Kitler part. She even has her right arm stretched out in this photo. Don't worry, we've liberalised her.

IMG_0841.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Humankittylover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love it!!!!

Dragon mother- my cat, Enginette also eats cords!!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only had 3 cats during my life. The first was Sabrina when I was 3 years old so I don't believe I was the one to name her. The second was Willow and she was adopted from a neighbor so I didn't get to name her either. My third is Gizmo and he's the first one I've been able to name. I had watched the movie Gremlins in October of last year and I'm sure everybody remembers Gizmo the mogwai! I told myself that was the perfect name and when I adopted this weirdo kitten from the shelter when he was 10 weeks old, his shelter name of Stan was quickly switched to Gizmo.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any good cat naming stories. Zephyr is the only one of my cats I've named, and his name just came into my head and it seemed to suit him. Maisie, Bentley, and Cullen all had their names already when I adopted them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Demi was a girl. I always liked the name when I heard it- Demi Moore, Demi Lovato. When I found out he was a boy, he already knew his name, but it can work for a boy too. Now it can be short for Demitri. With Maggie, I just liked the name and the song Maggie May.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see.
  • :rbheart: Kittikins -- The cat we had when I was a child. Named by my mother for her childhood cat.
  • :rbheart: Sweet Thing -- There was simply no other name for this cat. It was obvious the first time I set eyes on her. My heart kitty.
  • :rbheart: Dulcie -- One of Sweet Thing's daughters, named immediately after her birth because her coat had a similar pattern to her mother's, and "Dulcie" means "Sweet."
  • :rbheart: Silky -- Another daughter of Sweet Thing. Named as soon as she was dry after birth for her long, silky fur. Her coat was actually more like her mother's than Dulcie's was.
  • :rbheart: Velvet -- The third daughter of Sweet Thing. Actually, "Black Velvet," also named shortly after birth for her fur.
  • :rbheart: Nimbus -- Sweet Thing's only son. He was a gray tabby and resembled a storm cloud. It happened to fit his temperament, too.
  • :rbheart: Pretzel -- Yellow/ginger cat with darker stripes and spots (almost like an ocicat), and lame in her left front leg due to nerve damage. When she came to us her name was "Tres," as in "Numero Tres," apparently because of her bum leg. I wasn't about to have a cat with a number instead of a name, so I looked for something that sounded at least a little like "Tres" (so as not to confuse her) and Pretzel was the best I could come up with. The color was right, and feline agility enables cats to get into pretzel-like positions, so Pretzel it was.
  • :rbheart: Floppy -- When she came to us she was named "Fluffy," which is a stereotype, and she habitually would flop over on her back so people could admire and stroke her adorable belly, and "Floppy" and "Fluffy" have similar sounds.
  • Jasmine -- When she came to us she was named Taz, which sounds like the Disney character and didn't fit her personality, except to the extent that it fits all cats. So, once again, I looked for a name that fit her and didn't sound too different from the name she was accustomed to. Nothing I tried worked, until one night when Roger heard me talking to her in my sleep, and in my sleep I called her Jasmine.
Margret

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember them all...but

Dominique- pre-named

Puddin's - When I found her and her sibling in the boat well (while on the lake) their eyes weren't even open yet. For some reason I looked at her and said "she's cuter than puddin'". The name stuck.

Magic- Adopted her on her last day at the Humane Society and when I started the car Magic by The Cars was playing.

Yoda - He had really big ears.

O'Neill- I love SG-1 and this cat had an attitude

Talon- Every time I had to feed him (bottle) I ended up with bloody hands. His claws just tore me to shreds.

Rootbeer - pre-named

Macleod - My son couldn't decide between Duncan and Conner so I suggested Macleod.

Methos - Another Highlander name

Bastet - She looked like the Egyptian cats statues. (she was not Mau - that was Macleod)

Onsa (spelled Onza in history) - (she is my son's cat) It is an Aztec word used to describe various big cats.

Samai- She was different. I had a dream I was walking on a boardwalk somewhere and a Hawaiian or Polynesian girl selling fruit offered me a pineapple. She said her name was Samai. Being a dream I knew immediately how to spell it. When I woke up, I thought "what a pretty name". Since Samai was very pretty, even as a kitten, I remembered the name and gave it to her.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ziva is my current cat. We brought her home from the shelter a little over 9 weeks ago. We kept the name she came with.

Xena. She lived with me for 13.5 years. I have survived almost 11 months without her. We do not know where she came from. She just showed up here. Her first few years here she was a talented hunter. Her first week here, I saw her catch and eat a half dozen skinks. I wanted to and did call her Skinker that first year. My wife felt that was inappropriate lol, and named her Xena the Warrior Princess to match her wildness and ability to conquer so many other species.

Boney Girl. Boney showed up at my front door during an early June rain. Poor thing couldn't weigh much over 4lbs. I could see her ribs. She grew longer and taller during the less than 5 years she was here, but never achieved the well fed look. We were a perfect match.

A few others I remember----Sylvester (thinking no explanation needed)
Cindy---think my sisters had something to do with that
Shadow---A tortie like Ziva who disappears in the shadows
Frosty---A Himalayan that belonged to my wife when we first got together. Frosty saved our lives when he lost his. He suffocated due to a natural gas leak in our house.
Whiner---another stray who disappeared. She was vocal and seemed to be constantly complaining.
I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody....
Mr. Tom Gray. He was my first cat. An alley cat of the late 1960's. He was big, muscular, playful, scarred and affectionate. He was gray. Definitely a fond childhood memory.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Love it!!!!

Dragon mother- my cat, Enginette also eats cords!!
Megabyte ate the iron cord, an expensive extension cord, and the lamp cord that were all plugged in. The lamp cord burned his mouth. We took him to the vet to make sure he didn't have heart damage. He was OK but the vet said he wouldn't learn, and he didn't. We tried everything to stop him - bitter apple, Tabasco sauce, citrus, but he chewed anyway. Finally we got a 100' roll of corrugated plastic tubing that had a slit down the middle and wrapped every cord we could find. When we brought something home, it had to be wrapped before it was ever plugged in.

He also ate my mouse. I couldn't get it to work. I rebooted, did everything else I could think of and finally called the wizard, my husband. He picked up the mouse/trackball and there was about 6" of cord dangling from it. I can truthfully say my cat ate my mouse.

In his later years, Megabyte had to have two bad teeth pulled in the exact area where his mouth had been burned by the electric cord. I'm sure the shock had something to do with them.

He was always checking to see if there were an unwrapped cord somewhere. If it looked remotely like an electric cord, he nibbled it just in case.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
- My Sebastian was named after Johann Sebastian Bach because I was a music ed major in college when we got him.
- Hubby's Cicero got his name because my hubby was a classics major in college.
We had to give them both away when we left college because the graduate student housing didn't allow pets. :bawling:

- My Murphy was named after the main character in a romance novel I was reading when we got him.
- Hubby's Kippy (Kipling) was named after Rudyard Kipling because hubby was reading the Jungle Book when we got him.
- I don't remember how Laelia (who chose our 2nd son to be her person) was named. All I remember was looking up female Roman names. I don't remember why...
- Our daughter's Buddy was named by her the-boyfriend now-husband who climbed into the rafters of the feed barn to rescue him even though he hates cats with a passion. He loves our daughter more than he hates cats. ;)
- Our other daughter's Snickers looked like a Snickers bar when he was a kitten.
- Our son's girlfriend's cat had a litter of black kittens and they were looking for names so I suggested Cinder and Toothless (How to Train Your Dragon movie) among others. But I didn't expect them to end up at our house.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy - already named. Given to us by a friend.
Max - already named. Given to us by a friend.
Speedboat - He raced around the house so much hubby named him Speedboat. He was a stray found on the carport.
Spare Cat - He was a stray that we didn't put inside. Since we had three, he was the spare.
Shop Cat - He was a stray in the yard that hung out with hubby in his shop.
Smoke - He was a stray, grey, short, stocky, beautiful. So sweet. His color was his name.
Muffin - He was found at the boat dock. He was such a fluffy fur ball. Just seemed like the right name.
Mattie - Stray found on the front porch. I named her in honor of my grandmother.
Snoop - Caught in a trap, treated at the shelter and sold from the pet store. He was already named. Very appropriately too, I might add.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a huge fan if Terry Pratchett's Discworld series so Sam, Spike, Keith, Isabelle (Ysabel) and Rocky were all named after characters in his books. Zuzu was named after the little girl in "It's a Wonderful Life". Sunshine got her name from being the first to greet me every morning and I would say "Good morning sunshine!" and it just sort of stuck. Jasmine was named after the jasmine shrub she would lay under when she was still feral.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper was so named because he was solid grey.

Sophie was a calico. I think Mom was trying to avoid typical calico names.

Lucky was a grey tabby with an actual story behind his name. His mother abandoned him in our yard on a rainy day. At one point, I looked out the window to see if the rain had stopped, and happened to see him. I managed to convince Mom to go out and get him.

Peanut was an orange tabby, named both for his color and his size when we got him. The very first thing he did when I got him in the house was to hide under the corner hutch. As an adult, the name became an ironic one because he got overweight.

Belle and Beau were grey and white tabby littermates. We were a military family living in the French-speaking part of Belgium when we got them, so we thought it appropriate to give them French names. Belle means "beautiful" and Beau means "handsome".

Charlie is my current cat. I'm a classic film buff, so I named him after Charlie Chaplin, my favorite actor. He has black fur and white skin, so he's appropriately monochrome. He's also strange and funny. Charlie was first found wandering around outside as a kitten, so he was technically a Little Tramp. It's the most apt name I've ever given a pet.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shade -- A dilute calico. Lots of weird reasons for her name -- I like the sound of names like Shadow, but didn't want to name her that. She was the first dilute calico I saw in person so she was a shade off from the normal color, I like the muted color connotation of her name, so I just went with it!

Meko -- Pronounced May-ko. Another one of those "I like the sound" names, but couldn't decide what spelling to go with (I also considered Meiko or Mako). I chose to go with the spelling that makes no sense. XD It was somewhat inspired by manekineko, the lucky Japanese beckoning cat. She had a severe leg injury when I took her in and I had to get one of her back legs amputated, so she's lucky on that account, and I guess there's a twisted sense of humor in beckoning cat vs. cat missing a leg? Also, Meko's a calico, that's sort of the traditional Japanese lucky cat color.

Camo -- Tortoiseshell, and tortoiseshell patterns look a bit like a camo pattern!

Kismet -- Camo used to be a stray, and several months before I had the resources to take her in, she had two kittens. After a week, we realized she abandoned them when one of the kittens died, so we grabbed the other one and started bottle feeding her. She had all sorts of problems being only a week old, infested with maggots on the inside, and having some injuries from the maggots, but she pulled through! A bunch of people told me I should give her a name like "Lucky" or "Hope" or "Fate," but that's a little too on the nose, so I went with Kismet since it means fate, but is less obvious. Edit: Also forgot to mention, I own a black and white paint horse named Gambit who is blind in one eye. Kismet is a black and white cat that we thought might be blind in one eye from one of her maggot injuries. The similarity of the Gambit vs. Kismet name was kind of funny.

Henna -- A shorthair torbie. I like to use henna to dye my hair red, and a lot of people think the black fake tattoos you can get are made out of "black henna" (it's not), but since she's all sorts of red/brown/yellow shades with a little bit of black, I thought Henna would be a good, descriptive name!

Shiloh -- Honestly no reason, I just really liked the name and decided to finally use it.

Ronan -- I swear, this isn't a Marvel reference, but everyone thinks it is! He's a red/white tabby, and I wanted to give him a name that mean red. I was going to go with Roan or Rowan, didn't really like the sound, so went with Ronan instead which sounds similar but does not mean "red" at all. XD

Mosaic -- she's a dilute calico tabby. She has very distinct splotches with the stripes also clearly defined, which gives her a very mosaic-like appearance!

Treble -- She is mostly white with some black splotches, and one of the splotches looks like a music note! For that reason I wanted to give her a music-related name. Since she's also a trouble-maker, Treble made a good pun.

Peridot -- A kitty I took in at the end of August! Peridot is August's birthstone and he has gorgeous green eyes, so Peridot it is. Just a note that his name is pronounced "per-ih-do" not "per-ih-dot." I literally had never heard the latter pronunciation until after I named him.

Some of the kitties I've lost recently or over the past few years:

Nenya -- One of the three Elvish rings of power from The Lord of the Rings. Really wanted to give her a name related to the books in some way.

Ebony -- She was a brown tabby. Her fur looked like the wood of an ebony tree.

Sweetie -- My sister named her, I think she just liked the name.

Ember -- A long-hair tortoiseshell. The red and black made "ember" a great, descriptive name for her.