Help with injured stray

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above: He has a MUCH better life than you know. You're awesome for helping him. He's a very lucky cat.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bless you for all of the time and effort you've put into this beautiful boy. I know how frustrating it can be when their behavior doesn't make sense. I trapped a cat and brought him in last year, and he was a biter. I couldn't always tie the bites to fear or aggression, either. Someone suggested that I hiss the next time he bit me. I'll never forget the look on his face; I hissed and then left the room. The look of shock on his face! But that was one of the last times he bit me.

Now the only time he bites are when he's playing, and I give a yelp and he backs off. He also has a thing with feet. I have learned not to move my feet under the covers because he will attack them. Come to think of it, the first time he ever bit me was before I trapped him outside; he wrapped himself around my ankle, bit, and then ran away.

Anyway, I'm not an experienced cat person. I have two 'rescues' and they can both be problem children, but I would think problem children need to be taught what's acceptable behavior and what isn't. Since you two already have established trust with each other, I wonder what would happen if you hissed and left the room next time he bites you?

I wouldn't feel badly about his confinement, either. Living a somewhat confined life with meals provided, kindness shown, and safety assured is infinitely better than all the freedom of outdoors without the love, safety, and kindness he has now. My guy that I trapped and brought in still has days where he paces and cries to get out. He was a real wild, unsocialized boy when I trapped him and I had him enclosed in one room for 2 months I think it was before increasing his territory. He still loves that room. I've had him indoors for a year, and he still gets antsy - yet he escaped recently and I lured him back inside with a treat. Later that day I had him in my arms and went to open the door to let my mother inside - I guess he thought I was going to toss him out, because he clawed his way out of my arms and ran AWAY from the door. All that to say, I know we feel guilty about not being able to give them total contentment. But we give them safety, love, protection - that's a pretty good trade off. Hang in there, don't give up on him, and give yourself some kudos, too. You are doing a GREAT job! :redheartpump:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No desire to play with ME, no amount of toys, prey play etc, he just stares at me like ”really??” I have a camera set up in the laundry room to see how he is doing all alone. I’ve watched him play with his toy mice, he runs around, his tail is straight up he’s rolling around happy etc. . I still don’t think it’s play biting, he’s got this thing about feet, even outside I have to wear boots because he will bite, and he’s obsessed with following my feet. I have to be very careful because I’m afraid he will trip me. I wonder if he’s been kicked and is afraid of feet? I’m totally confident with him, we have a routine and he seems agreeable to it. I have a carrier set up in there, in addition to a small kitty condo and he loves to sleep inside his carrier. He’s going to the Vet on Saturday for a follow up just to see how he’s doing and get his flea treatment. Thanks for the feedback....
"No desire to play with ME, no amount of toys, prey play etc, he just stares at me like ”really??”" - Interesting. Sometimes when we act differently they do retreat a touch. He loves and trusts you, no doubt about that. But that change just seems to be too much for now. There are other ways to build confidence. AND he is playing on his own which is very positive.

"I’ve watched him play with his toy mice, he runs around, his tail is straight up he’s rolling around happy etc. ." - This is so positive. It tells me he is happier and more confident than we may think.

"I still don’t think it’s play biting, he’s got this thing about feet, even outside I have to wear boots because he will bite, and he’s obsessed with following my feet." - Hmmmmmmm. If you ever can get a video I would love to see his body language.

"I have to be very careful because I’m afraid he will trip me." - Oh I know. Mine are ALWAYS under my feet but in a different way. They LOVE to rub on the legs.

"I wonder if he’s been kicked and is afraid of feet?" - Possible. Though I would think he would shy away rather than attack. BUT each cat reacts differently so body language is really important.

"I’m totally confident with him, we have a routine and he seems agreeable to it." - THAT is great and probably why he is happy.

" I have a carrier set up in there, in addition to a small kitty condo and he loves to sleep inside his carrier." - Yes, again on camera he seems very happy, confident and content. Which is great.

"He’s going to the Vet on Saturday for a follow up just to see how he’s doing and get his flea treatment." - Great. He sounds like he is doing really well.

"Thanks for the feedback.... " - THANK YOU!!! You have saved his life AND made his life much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and I will work on not feeling so guilty about him being relegated to the laundry room. I will continue to bring him outside with me when I’m working so he can enjoy the sun and outdoors, I’m sure I look silly in shorts and boots but he seems to really like being outside, and its good to watch him sunbathe as long as he can see me and follow me around.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and I will work on not feeling so guilty about him being relegated to the laundry room. I will continue to bring him outside with me when I’m working so he can enjoy the sun and outdoors, I’m sure I look silly in shorts and boots but he seems to really like being outside, and its good to watch him sunbathe as long as he can see me and follow me around.
I really do not believe you should feel guilty at all. I know it is hard emotionally, we want the absolute best. But sometimes the best that is possible is best. If he was really unhappy, suffering, then I think we would have to think of something. But he seems to really enjoy playing in there, he is safe, has great food. Here is your quote from a previous post "I’ve watched him play with his toy mice, he runs around, his tail is straight up he’s rolling around happy etc.". That is not behavior of a cat that you should feel guilty about. He is bonded to you, loves you. AND he goes outside with you and sunbathes. And watches you and follows you around. Another sign of the bond and love.

I know it is hard. But his life now is exponentially better than the alternative. I honestly don't think he would survive long in the wild and the time he would have would be very difficult, fearful.

What you have done and are doing for him should honestly make you feel proud and happy. I am so proud of what you have done for him. You not only have saved his life you have given him love and meaning to be alive. He seems happy, content, more confident than you may realize. I just believe you have done an AMAZING job and should be very proud.

I do think in time we can get him out and about more and more trusting with other cats and a more "normal" life. I am happy to spend as much time as needed to achieve that. In the meantime, I think you are a lifesaver superstar. And when I say THANK YOU I honestly mean it.

BTW - You may just start a fashion trend. Shorts and boots have been stylish many times.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with all that Calicorspecial wrote. But I want to add that Rocky made the decision to come back to you after you released him. A life with you is what he has chosen. You have nothing to be guilty or sad about and everything to be proud and happy about. You saved Rocky's life and he loves you for it.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless you for all of the time and effort you've put into this beautiful boy. I know how frustrating it can be when their behavior doesn't make sense. I trapped a cat and brought him in last year, and he was a biter. I couldn't always tie the bites to fear or aggression, either. Someone suggested that I hiss the next time he bit me. I'll never forget the look on his face; I hissed and then left the room. The look of shock on his face! But that was one of the last times he bit me.

Now the only time he bites are when he's playing, and I give a yelp and he backs off. He also has a thing with feet. I have learned not to move my feet under the covers because he will attack them. Come to think of it, the first time he ever bit me was before I trapped him outside; he wrapped himself around my ankle, bit, and then ran away.

Anyway, I'm not an experienced cat person. I have two 'rescues' and they can both be problem children, but I would think problem children need to be taught what's acceptable behavior and what isn't. Since you two already have established trust with each other, I wonder what would happen if you hissed and left the room next time he bites you?

I wouldn't feel badly about his confinement, either. Living a somewhat confined life with meals provided, kindness shown, and safety assured is infinitely better than all the freedom of outdoors without the love, safety, and kindness he has now. My guy that I trapped and brought in still has days where he paces and cries to get out. He was a real wild, unsocialized boy when I trapped him and I had him enclosed in one room for 2 months I think it was before increasing his territory. He still loves that room. I've had him indoors for a year, and he still gets antsy - yet he escaped recently and I lured him back inside with a treat. Later that day I had him in my arms and went to open the door to let my mother inside - I guess he thought I was going to toss him out, because he clawed his way out of my arms and ran AWAY from the door. All that to say, I know we feel guilty about not being able to give them total contentment. But we give them safety, love, protection - that's a pretty good trade off. Hang in there, don't give up on him, and give yourself some kudos, too. You are doing a GREAT job! :redheartpump:
Thank you for the feedback and suggestion, I tried hissing at him when he bit my foot the other day and it has no effect at all on him, he merely crouched down and hissed back. He bites, I hiss and we do it nearly every day, perhaps one day he will come to terms with me. He is what he is, and I have to learn to accept him on his terms, thank you again for your wonderful suggestion!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"He is what he is, and I have to learn to accept him on his terms" - That is exactly correct in my eyes and what I do with all of them. I have a feral in my colony that hisses at me every single initial contact. Then she eats chicken from my hand. Just the way she is. She has a trust issue then realizes I mean good. It is what it is and I just accept it and move on. Granted it is not biting but I really believe he will trust more in time.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the feedback and suggestion, I tried hissing at him when he bit my foot the other day and it has no effect at all on him, he merely crouched down and hissed back. He bites, I hiss and we do it nearly every day, perhaps one day he will come to terms with me. He is what he is, and I have to learn to accept him on his terms, thank you again for your wonderful suggestion!
I have read that cats that are declawed can become biters simply because it's their only remaining defense. Let's pray that as he develops more trust and begins to feel truly safe, that the biting will recede and hopefully cease. You're an angel for your understanding and patience - you're most certainly his angel! Cats seem to know how to find the people who are capable of understanding and helping them. Please keep us updated as things progress! :hugs:

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve decided to try using Solliquin treats to see if this will help with his anxiety issues. I’ve given him 1 each day for the last 2 mornings right after he’s eaten breakfast. After an hour I open his door and he has been exploring an area that can also be closed off, but is bigger and more open than his laundry room, but is also where I spend a lot of time, there are lots of hiding places too. 2 days in a row he came out, explored with his tail up, showed me his belly several times and there was zero crying, wailing or crouching.
I spoke with the Vet and she said that if this didn’t help that we could try another medication till we found something that would help. I’m cautiously optimistic at this point but I really want him to be happy and have a space to call his own. I’m not sure that I will ever attempt a introduction to the resident cats, but time will tell. Right now I’d be happy for him to roam his new area with the confidence and him knowing he is safe. He’s still biting, but hopefully a larger area will help.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve decided to try using Solliquin treats to see if this will help with his anxiety issues. I’ve given him 1 each day for the last 2 mornings right after he’s eaten breakfast. After an hour I open his door and he has been exploring an area that can also be closed off, but is bigger and more open than his laundry room, but is also where I spend a lot of time, there are lots of hiding places too. 2 days in a row he came out, explored with his tail up, showed me his belly several times and there was zero crying, wailing or crouching.
I spoke with the Vet and she said that if this didn’t help that we could try another medication till we found something that would help. I’m cautiously optimistic at this point but I really want him to be happy and have a space to call his own. I’m not sure that I will ever attempt a introduction to the resident cats, but time will tell. Right now I’d be happy for him to roam his new area with the confidence and him knowing he is safe. He’s still biting, but hopefully a larger area will help.
Great to hear from you.

"I’ve decided to try using Solliquin treats to see if this will help with his anxiety issues. I’ve given him 1 each day for the last 2 mornings right after he’s eaten breakfast." - Ok

" After an hour I open his door and he has been exploring an area that can also be closed off, but is bigger and more open than his laundry room, but is also where I spend a lot of time, there are lots of hiding places too." - PERFECT

" 2 days in a row he came out, explored with his tail up, showed me his belly several times and there was zero crying, wailing or crouching." - WOW!! AWESOME!!! Showing a belly is pure trust. Tail up confident. That is honestly perfect.

"I spoke with the Vet and she said that if this didn’t help that we could try another medication till we found something that would help." - Yes, so far so good. And showing him your love for him will help.

"I’m cautiously optimistic at this point" - Absolutely

" but I really want him to be happy and have a space to call his own." - Totally

" I’m not sure that I will ever attempt a introduction to the resident cats, but time will tell." - I think we can but as you say in time. Cats are cats and I have intro'd some challenging ones.

"Right now I’d be happy for him to roam his new area with the confidence and him knowing he is safe." - Exactly. His happiness is most important.

"He’s still biting, but hopefully a larger area will help." - This I can't exactly understand. I suspect it is pent up energy, boredom, could be a love bite thing. Could be frustration. I have dealt with biters but am not an expert in dealing with it. I tend to deal with it only for myself which they all get over it. Some day maybe we caa see a video and interpret what is going on.

Thank you for the GREAT update!!! And most importantly THANK YOU for sticking by him. He has gone through a lot but he is feeling love now. His life is finally what he deserves. Hopefully we can make it even better.

:rock:

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are now on day 2 of Rocky hanging out with me in the basement with unrestricted access. He is no longer fearful, no longer crying, crouching or trying to hide. If I go upstairs, he retreats to the open area that is closer to his laundry room and waits to make sure it’s me that’s coming downstairs before coming back out. He grooms himself, explores, takes cat naps, jumped on my lap for a few minutes, groomed me several times, and was not fearful at all. I finally put him back in his room so he could actually sleep. I have not given him any more Soliquill treats other than the first 3 days we worked on open access. He has done a complete 180 in his behavior and I haven’t been bitten at all these past 2 days. I’m so happy for him! Perhaps in time he will learn to be less fearful of others and I hope my daughter can help with that since she will be moving home for a year. I will update again as he continues to improve. A huge thank you to everyone especially Calicosrspecial, you have been so amazing in your advice, feedback and support for this poor fellow!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are now on day 2 of Rocky hanging out with me in the basement with unrestricted access. He is no longer fearful, no longer crying, crouching or trying to hide. If I go upstairs, he retreats to the open area that is closer to his laundry room and waits to make sure it’s me that’s coming downstairs before coming back out. He grooms himself, explores, takes cat naps, jumped on my lap for a few minutes, groomed me several times, and was not fearful at all. I finally put him back in his room so he could actually sleep. I have not given him any more Soliquill treats other than the first 3 days we worked on open access. He has done a complete 180 in his behavior and I haven’t been bitten at all these past 2 days. I’m so happy for him! Perhaps in time he will learn to be less fearful of others and I hope my daughter can help with that since she will be moving home for a year. I will update again as he continues to improve. A huge thank you to everyone especially Calicosrspecial, you have been so amazing in your advice, feedback and support for this poor fellow!
:hyper: :clap2: Awesome!!!

GREAT JOB!!!!

THANBK YOU for all you have done and are doing!!!

I think he is going to be just fine. We are here for you any time.

GREAT JOB!!!