Help with injured stray

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone is well and safe in these troubled times! I hope you can give me some suggestions for a very badly injured stray. i feed the local homeless kitties in my neighborhood and keep my a garage door cracked so those so inclined can get in and stay warm with heating pads, boxes, etc... It started coming around about 3 weeks ago, is entire shoulder area is a large open wound with no fur and it’s left eye is closed And it’s limping. It won’t go near a trap and finally last night I got him in my garage and managed to get he door closed but now its crawled up into the underside of my truck. I have a Vet who will see it if/when I catch it, but I’m at a loss on how to get it into a carrier or trap without further stressing it. It is not phased by the locking or unlocking of my truck, and thankfully I have another vehicle I can drive, but I’m really concerned as it really looks to be in bad shape, and I just want to get it help, no animal should suffer. I’m afraid it will just stay up there or should I go ahead and open the garage door and attempt another time, but I am not so sure it has much time left without proper attention and care. I’ve been trying for 3 weeks now and I hate to have to start over.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you can lure him out with food?
Some canned food that is really smelly, or even canned tuna or meat?
I would definitely keep him in the garage, where at least you can give him food and water.

Do you have access to a larger dog crate, where you could leave the door open, but place the food inside?
Cover the crate with a bed sheet, place it very near to the truck, and a trail of cat treats leading to the crate.
If you have any long pieces of wood, 2x4s and such, then try to place them around the truck to block off access, so the cat would naturally walk towards the crate.
Placing some pieces of wood under the truck may also entice the cat to walk on them, and towards the crate.

Also are there any TNR (trap, neuter, return) groups in your area, ...who you can phone...and perhaps they can help with suggestions and tips?
Plus they would have further experience in using various different traps and methods to lure this poor stray out.
I'd also try and call wildlife management companies, Vet offices, ...even the fire department may offer some advice.

Also, if you can locate where he is under your truck, by either using mirrors, and flashlight on the eyes, or gently talking to him/her, then perhaps s/he will move, so that you could locate them.
You'll probably need to be very safe, and have thick clothing, eye protection, and thick gloves, too.

Hoping that others with more experience with Ferals and Strays will shortly come by, and see your thread, and offer better suggestions. Bless you for helping this poor injured stray cat.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping him.

If it were me, I'd set a drop trap with LOTS of different foods inside.

If he's in your garage and can't get out, he's going to get hungry enough to go in that trap. You should put a litter box in your garage too.

Again, you're AWESOME for helping him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a jumbo soft side carrier that is large enough for a dog that I set up in the garage and left open with a comfy quilt inside. I went out before bed and it was hunkered down in there and I was able to zip it closed, I saw it also used the litter box prior so at this time it’s secured and I will get it to the Vet first thing in the morning. Poor baby has had a rough time and I hope it’s not too late for it. Thank you for the advice and I will update as we progress.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your update.
Fantastic thinking on the comfy quilt and jumbo carrier. (I think the comfy quilt must have done the trick.)

Yes, I'm hoping that the Vet can help this poor cat, and hoping that only antibiotics and rest will help.
Please do keep us updated.

Sending all healing vibes, and vibes of Strength your way. :vibes::vibes::caticon:
As lavishsqualor said, your are truly AWESOME, for helping him. :touched:

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
He is a boy, intact and the wounds are deep and severe, and he is likely blind in the one eye. He’s been fixed, pain meds given, wounds cleaned, antibiotics given, Bravecto treatment for fleas and he is FIV positive. I will pick him up at noon and he will come home and hang out in my laundry room till he is completely healed. I will work on seeing if he’s willing to work on his social skills and go from there. Either way he will remain in the laundry room till he’s completely healed and gets a clean bill from the Vet. Thanks for the good vibes and well wishes, they are greatly appreciated. I will post pics of Rocky if I can get some of him, he’s been through hell and back that’s for sure!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, he really got lucky in finding you and your garage.
You basically saved his life, and now he can have the time to recuperate.

Rocky seems like such a good name for him, too.
It seems like he has the odds stacked against him, but with help, he will be okay.

I do think Rocky knew that somehow you would be the one to help him, since he didn't try to avoid that jumbo soft sided carrier.
Almost like he knew you'd be okay to be trusted. :bluepaw:
And yes, I do hope that as he begins to feel better, that his social skills will be okay.

Yes, post as many photos of Rocky as he will let you.
He will probably sleep soundly and safely for the entire week, now.
(Just tell him to never hide out on the underside of a truck again.)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOU ARE A MORE THAN A HERO!

Thank you for doing what you've done for Rocky. And yes . . . we want pictures!

Seriously, it sounds trite but words can't express how grateful I am to you for what you've done.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don’t want to stress him any more than he’s already been stressed. He’s in my laundry room/ bathroom and still in the large crate, he ate and drank well last night and I left his water and a small litter box in there overnight. I would really like to let him get out of the crate and clean up inside for him so it’s kept clean, then when he’s inclined to get back inside, I’d like to keep him in the crate in a area I spend a lot of time in so I can talk to him and play soothing music while I’m doing my thing during the day, this would also allow me to do laundry etc without the noises creating anxiety for him.
I get the meow growl when I’m in the room talking to him, is there any way to know if he’s in pain? I really don’t want him to be hurting,

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really like to let him get out of the crate and clean up inside for him so it’s kept clean, then when he’s inclined to get back inside, I’d like to keep him in the crate in a area I spend a lot of time in so I can talk to him and play soothing music while I’m doing my thing during the day, this would also allow me to do laundry etc without the noises creating anxiety for him.
These are tougher questions for me, because I'm not very experienced in socializing ferals or strays. (only stray kitten experience which is fairly easy).

*The only suggestion I would have is that you need to get another crate/carrier or cat playpen, and transfer Rocky into that one,...so that you can clean the first one.

I can't really see him wanting to go back willingly inside the first one, if he is allowed to be let free inside the room?
I get the meow growl when I’m in the room talking to him, is there any way to know if he’s in pain? I really don’t want him to be hurting,
If the Vet gave him a longer lasting pain med injection, then he should be okay for a while.
Do you know what the Vet gave him, or can you call the Vet and ask?

Meow growl might just mean he is extremely scared.
Hard to say, because he is now in a new place, still recovering from neuter surgery and the shoulder wound, too.

( Catsnquilts Catsnquilts ....what I would probably do is create a new thread, with a specific title...specifically asking about "Help injured stray in laundry room crate to recover and become more social?" )

(I know that lavishsqualor lavishsqualor , Jcatbird Jcatbird , and shadowsrescue shadowsrescue and C calicosrspecial have tremendous experience dealing with ferals...but because of different time zones...and some members are on late at night...or very early...you might have to wait for them to see your thread.)

So besides getting another crate and transferring him into that one, I don't really know what else I'd do.
Do you have another room in your home where you can place him? which may be quieter than the laundry room?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don’t want to stress him any more than he’s already been stressed. He’s in my laundry room/ bathroom and still in the large crate, he ate and drank well last night and I left his water and a small litter box in there overnight. I would really like to let him get out of the crate and clean up inside for him so it’s kept clean, then when he’s inclined to get back inside, I’d like to keep him in the crate in a area I spend a lot of time in so I can talk to him and play soothing music while I’m doing my thing during the day, this would also allow me to do laundry etc without the noises creating anxiety for him.

WOW, you are AMAZING!! :yess: :clap2:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all you have done. You have done the difficult part. The rest will be "easy".

I social ferals all the time so we can handle this. It is really all about trust. Using food, how we interact with the cats, and love. Cats are really good at reading people and though some take some time to trust I have never met a feral that didn't respond to being loved (even in the wild).

Do you have any other animals in the house?

Cats take on our emotions so stay calm, confident and loving around him. Don't stare at him or stand over him. Talk lovingly to him. Give him "eye kisses" close your eyes slowly, hold them closed and then slowly open them. Only a cat (or human) that trust would close their eyes to a potential predator/threat.

Keep using food. If you have any warm chicken thigh meat feel free to (safely) give him some. Food is the best way to build trust with a feral.

Pain is very hard to detect in cats. They have a high tolerance as well. So watch how he moves, eats, uses the litter box, drinks. Also, ask the vet about the risks of pain happening etc.

For now I would keep him in the crate in the laundry room and make it as positive as possible. It will be a process but I expect we can help make progress. Cats are really good at understanding saviors and I fully expect he will be appreciative. And given your personality I don;t see any reason why you both can't find a happy future. We will help make that happen.

I am sure I forgot some questions or didn;t answer some so please ask anything anytime and ask for clarification an share anything. We are all here to help.

Most importantly, THANK YOU for caring and giving him a chance of a great future. You really are AWESOME!!!

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
calicosrsppacial:
Thanks for your feedback and sharing your wisdom.
  • Yes, I have 3 indoor/outdoor kitties that were rescued when they were about 6 weeks old and found abandoned under a forklift in a huge manufacturing plant. They are terrified of other cats and will run and hide.
  • I have unzipped the door for Rocky and he has ventured out to use the litterbox and eat some dry food and has returned to his crate and blanket. I have always free fed my cats and they are a healthy weights so I will leave food out for Rocky to eat as he wants/needs, and monitor from there.
  • Rocky showed up in 2017 to eat (I take photos of all cats in my area in case someone is missing cat and also to keep track of new cats too) and I only saw him one other time in 2019 and so I thought perhaps he was someones cat out for a stroll, and decided to partake in the food on the porch. He showed up 3 weeks ago looking like he’d been though hell and so I have been trying to get him ever since. He would wait on the porch for me to feed him but I couldn’t get him to go in the nearby trap. I moved his food to the garage and he found it with no issue, that’s how I was able to at least contain him to one area. He always kept a arms length away from me, and wouldn’t let me get too close.
I don’t think he’s someone’s pet, as last week during some really hard rains, someone took a photo of him sitting in the rain by their house, and posted it on our towns Facebook page, asking for someone to help it. My neighbor then sent me a picture of the post (I don’t use Facebook) and asked if I knew the cat. (Yeah I’m “the cat lady” in my area). Not sure why he didn’t hunker down in the garage as I try really hard to stay out of the garage in bad/cold weather so as not to disturb any cats hunkered down. He also had not been around my house for 5 days, he seemed rather disoriented when I finally got him contained Monday night but he wasn’t freaking out or trying to find a way out.

thank you so much for all your help and expertise!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. SO we will have to keep him totally isolated from the other cats and work on socializing to begin with and building his confidence and then work on going through a formal introduction process to introduce the cats.

The fact the other cats are afraid of cats keeping the new cat away and a good distance away is very important.

During this time if you do have time we'll want to build up the confidence of the existing resident cats. Play, Food, Height and Love. So really step up play and feed after. Give them a lot of places to go high (cat trees, maybe cat shelving if possible) and places to gt their scent on to "own" the territory (scratching posts, warm and comfy bedding, etc). Finally, just using food to build confidence, giving them a lot of love, keeping human emotions as calm and confident as possible, etc. I can go into more detail. A confident cat is more likely to accept and be accepted. And a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

"I have unzipped the door for Rocky and he has ventured out to use the litterbox and eat some dry food and has returned to his crate and blanket. I have always free fed my cats and they are a healthy weights so I will leave food out for Rocky to eat as he wants/needs, and monitor from there." - Ok, we will have ot have a buffer between that room and the other cats. We want to keep them separated totally for now and limit scent transfer etc until we can work on the intro process. Please be careful he doesn't get out into the rest of the house.

Yes, it sounds like he may have been abandoned. Seems like a pretty good cat. Sad his life has been so tough. Get him healthy for now then we can work on socializing and then work on intro'ing them.

Just a clarification. Are the cats you have (the 3) going outside currently? On a harness or loose? Or are they totally indoors only?

I am happy to help you through this. This is common and is something I do and help with all the time. So we can see how it goes, adjust as needed and move forward.

Great job so far. Please feel free to update, ask anything, etc anytime. It will be a bit of a process (the intro will probably be the biggest challenge) but we will get there. Building confidence is the first key as well as following the process. Please ask anything to clarify any confidence questions.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
claicosrspecial:
thank you so much for all the info!
  • Yes my cats are indoor outdoor, I live in a very quiet small neighborhood in a small town, they insist on going outside since that is what they are used to prior to my moving here.
  • Rocky is in the basement in my laundry room and the door is closed so he can’t get out, and when I do go in, I crack the door and softly call his name and announce myself. I talk to him while I’m in there and just do a visual check to see that he looks ok, have a nice little chit chat and let him get back to resting quietly.
  • I’ll hold off on trying to wash his bedding for a few more days and just let him rest, it all has a extremely strong musty smell and I’m sure it’s his excretions that’s causing it. But I will take one day at a time, and see how everything goes, I’m in no hurry and I’m sure he’s not either!
    Thank you so much for reaching out and answering my questions and offering your assistance, I really do appreciate it!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
claicosrspecial:
thank you so much for all the info!
  • Yes my cats are indoor outdoor, I live in a very quiet small neighborhood in a small town, they insist on going outside since that is what they are used to prior to my moving here.
  • Rocky is in the basement in my laundry room and the door is closed so he can’t get out, and when I do go in, I crack the door and softly call his name and announce myself. I talk to him while I’m in there and just do a visual check to see that he looks ok, have a nice little chit chat and let him get back to resting quietly.
  • I’ll hold off on trying to wash his bedding for a few more days and just let him rest, it all has a extremely strong musty smell and I’m sure it’s his excretions that’s causing it. But I will take one day at a time, and see how everything goes, I’m in no hurry and I’m sure he’s not either!
    Thank you so much for reaching out and answering my questions and offering your assistance, I really do appreciate it!
The fact they do go outside suggests that they be more tolerant to other cats. We'll see. How territorially secure or insecure are they when inside? Any marking? Avoiding areas? How they do walk around? Tail up, tall? Or Tail down, slinking. This is all relevant later on but thought I would ask. Ferals in the wild have to be more "diplomatic" in my opinion so I actually tend to believe ferals are a little easier to intro. Though I know your existing cats were young when they came in. But ultimately it all comes down to confidence and maximizing positive associations, maximizing positive encounters and minimizing negative encounters.

Ok. Can the resident cats get to the door of the laundry room? Is there any way to keep them from getting near the laundry room door?

Ok, I didn't realize that. Is it possible to get another crate set up with clean bedding etc?

Right now, when you leave he is confined to the existing crate, correct?

When you say "excretions" do you mean discharge from his wounds or is he using the bedding as his litter?

Does the crate have a litter box in it? I am guessing it does not.

I know it is hard now but is it possible to order/get a larger crate that can contain a litter box etc?

How are his injuries? Did the vet suggest he stay as still as possible to not open them up?

I think I misunderstood the current situation. Ideally I would have him in a large dog crate that has room for a litter box, has food and water dishes attached to the sides and above and bedding in there.

But I am thinking it might be best in the meantime to have him have access to the litter box, water etc (so basically the whole laundry room) If we can keep the resident cats away from that laundry room door and the risk of escaping (or damage to anything in the laundry room is negligible).

Do the resident cats need access to the basement or can the basement door be closed?

Usually the resident/existing cats have the most difficult adjustment so we want to make sure the new cat is not perceived as a threat to the resident cats. SO keeping a safe distance (buffer) is important.

Sorry, I didn't understand the situation.

If it is possible to safely swap the bedding or set up an alternative and clean his bedding that would be best.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The fact they do go outside suggests that they be more tolerant to other cats. We'll see. How territorially secure or insecure are they when inside? Any marking? Avoiding areas? How they do walk around? Tail up, tall? Or Tail down, slinking. This is all relevant later on but thought I would ask. Ferals in the wild have to be more "diplomatic" in my opinion so I actually tend to believe ferals are a little easier to intro. Though I know your existing cats were young when they came in. But ultimately it all comes down to confidence and maximizing positive associations, maximizing positive encounters and minimizing negative encounters.
Resident kitties are all very happy confident cats, though they are very skittish of people they don‘t know and will hide if visitors are here. They strut with their tails up and get along for the most part, my little kitty Tinker is only 4.5 lbs and is 7 years old, even though they are all litter mates, she has always been the outcast. I do suspect she has a mild form of a learning disability if that’s even possible with cats. She will cuddle with her brother but her sister and she just tolerate each other. I have seen my cats in the garage when the strays are in there, my boy tends to ignore them, my bossy tabby climbs high to keep an eye on them and my Tinker will be hangin with her big brother.

Ok. Can the resident cats get to the door of the laundry room? Is there any way to keep them from getting near the laundry room door?
I have litter boxes in that section of the basement, far away from Rockys door at the opposite end of the basement. Call it overkill, but I have 4 boxes down there and 3 more on the second floor. There is really no way to keep them from his door, but there is really no gap big enough to get a paw under the door. The way it’s set up is just not doable. During the day, I do close the door to the basement (I have a sewing studio down there and I also work from home, so my office is also in the basement.) so that I can work without being interrupted. They have access to the basement at night.

Crate Situation:
Right now he is in the laundry room with the crate door open so he has access to food, water and a new litter box all his own. It’s a very large crate the, but the quilt is large so its comfy but also takes up a lot of room in the crate. When I got him home from the Vet he remained inside the crate with a small litter box, food and water overnight. This morning is when I smelled the very strong musty scent, I know sometimes cats can excrete a very musty smell from their anal glands, or perhaps he soiled his bedding, Thus my desire to get it washed and for him to have clean bedding. In addition to his crate, which he can come and go as he pleases, i made a little hiding spot under the utility sink for him, a bed and cat heating pad. I don’t have another large crate, but may order one if I can find the same kind. I will see if I can finagle something in the meantime. Vet advised overnight in the crate and then confined to a small room would be fine. His wound looks so much better than it did, and I did get a meow this afternoon when I gave him some wet food.

Calicos, thank you again for helping me help Rocky, you’re amazing!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Resident kitties are all very happy confident cats, though they are very skittish of people they don‘t know and will hide if visitors are here. They strut with their tails up and get along for the most part, my little kitty Tinker is only 4.5 lbs and is 7 years old, even though they are all litter mates, she has always been the outcast. I do suspect she has a mild form of a learning disability if that’s even possible with cats. She will cuddle with her brother but her sister and she just tolerate each other. I have seen my cats in the garage when the strays are in there, my boy tends to ignore them, my bossy tabby climbs high to keep an eye on them and my Tinker will be hangin with her big brother.

I have litter boxes in that section of the basement, far away from Rockys door at the opposite end of the basement. Call it overkill, but I have 4 boxes down there and 3 more on the second floor. There is really no way to keep them from his door, but there is really no gap big enough to get a paw under the door. The way it’s set up is just not doable. During the day, I do close the door to the basement (I have a sewing studio down there and I also work from home, so my office is also in the basement.) so that I can work without being interrupted. They have access to the basement at night.

Crate Situation:
Right now he is in the laundry room with the crate door open so he has access to food, water and a new litter box all his own. It’s a very large crate the, but the quilt is large so its comfy but also takes up a lot of room in the crate. When I got him home from the Vet he remained inside the crate with a small litter box, food and water overnight. This morning is when I smelled the very strong musty scent, I know sometimes cats can excrete a very musty smell from their anal glands, or perhaps he soiled his bedding, Thus my desire to get it washed and for him to have clean bedding. In addition to his crate, which he can come and go as he pleases, i made a little hiding spot under the utility sink for him, a bed and cat heating pad. I don’t have another large crate, but may order one if I can find the same kind. I will see if I can finagle something in the meantime. Vet advised overnight in the crate and then confined to a small room would be fine. His wound looks so much better than it did, and I did get a meow this afternoon when I gave him some wet food.

Calicos, thank you again for helping me help Rocky, you’re amazing!
"Resident kitties are all very happy confident cats, though they are very skittish of people they don‘t know and will hide if visitors are here. They strut with their tails up and get along for the most part, my little kitty Tinker is only 4.5 lbs and is 7 years old, even though they are all litter mates, she has always been the outcast. I do suspect she has a mild form of a learning disability if that’s even possible with cats. She will cuddle with her brother but her sister and she just tolerate each other. I have seen my cats in the garage when the strays are in there, my boy tends to ignore them, my bossy tabby climbs high to keep an eye on them and my Tinker will be hangin with her big brother." - GREAT. Very encouraging.

"I have litter boxes in that section of the basement, far away from Rockys door at the opposite end of the basement. Call it overkill, but I have 4 boxes down there and 3 more on the second floor. There is really no way to keep them from his door, but there is really no gap big enough to get a paw under the door. The way it’s set up is just not doable. During the day, I do close the door to the basement (I have a sewing studio down there and I also work from home, so my office is also in the basement.) so that I can work without being interrupted. They have access to the basement at night." - I was afraid of that. Given the previous paragraph it should help mitigate it a little but this is closer to "their" territory so it may get a little tricky. But it is what it is. They will hear him and smell him but at least they wont be able to touch. I need to think a bit more about this...............

"Right now he is in the laundry room with the crate door open so he has access to food, water and a new litter box all his own. It’s a very large crate the, but the quilt is large so its comfy but also takes up a lot of room in the crate. When I got him home from the Vet he remained inside the crate with a small litter box, food and water overnight. This morning is when I smelled the very strong musty scent, I know sometimes cats can excrete a very musty smell from their anal glands, or perhaps he soiled his bedding," - Ok, understood. Yes, if you could swap out the quilt/bedding that would be best. I would be a little surprised if he didn't use the litter box but he could have gotten a little insecure from the resident cats and "marked". The fact he does have an alternative place to go and does have roaming access should give you a chance to swap out the bedding. Just be very careful. Safety is most important especially now.

"Thus my desire to get it washed and for him to have clean bedding." - Yes,agreed, Just be careful. And be careful he doesn't escape when coming and going. We absolutely need to keep them physically separated.

"In addition to his crate, which he can come and go as he pleases, i made a little hiding spot under the utility sink for him, a bed and cat heating pad." - Great. Great job!

"I don’t have another large crate, but may order one if I can find the same kind." - That is fine, no need for another crate.

"Vet advised overnight in the crate and then confined to a small room would be fine." - Ok, great. That current setup sounds fine then. I am just most worried about any interactions between the resident cats and him (and vice versa).

"His wound looks so much better than it did" - AWESOME!!!

" and I did get a meow this afternoon when I gave him some wet food.
" - GREAT. Food and love are the best ways to build trust and a bond. Don't force attention, just go at his speed and take good care of him. Feed, water, clean litter, etc.

You are very welcome. YOU are the one that deserves the thank yous!!

Monitor the resident cats. The key is to make it as non-threatening and positive as possible. The resident cats typically have the most difficult transition as it is "their" territory being "invaded". So the cats worry about their physical security, access to food, water, litter box, etc. So what we try to do is slowly make positive associations (using food) and make every encounter as positive as possible (so no negativity) and limit negative encounters. So when a cat doesn't think the other cat is negative they build trust. And we reinforce all of that over and over so when we eventually get them face to face they think "yeah, I know that cat and that cat is not threat, they are cool". But it takes some time and we need to go step by step to keep it as positive as possible.

For now, just try to keep it positive for the resident cats as they will hear him and wonder and smell him and try to keep them as confident as possible and keep them thinking everything is fine (so feeding treats, playing with them, etc. So they are not worried about him since nothing negative happens. We want to keep the hissing, defensiveness to a minimum (that is why we like to have a little buffer). But given their history it sounds like they have shared some territory (the garage) but it may not be as important territory as the basement.

We'll figure it out.

So for now try the above (especially cleaning his bedding) and keep up what you are doing. Also, make sure he doesn't escape the laundry room. We don't want any face to face meeting right now.

I'll check back again tomorrow to see if you have any questions etc. as I have a lot to do from here on for the day. But hopefully makes some sense and helps a little.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see you have a good one here to help you but I wanted to let you know that others here are reading and checking in. Bravo for saving all your kitties! We feral rescuers are always encourged when we find another person is out there saving lives! Thank you! Sending healing vibes to Rocky and purrs to all. :vibes::redheartpump::purr::rock::clap2:
cat nap cat nap Thank you for bringing this thread to the attention of others! :heartshape:

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for sharing your expertise and suggestions! Last night he was alert, pacing and mad when I checked on him before bed and same thing this morning, and he was laying on top of the crate/carrier jumped down, began growling, hissing and pacing. I remained calm, got on his level, spoke softly and reassuringly to him as I was cleaning his box, and filling food bowls. He went back into the crate and I secured him back inside, and moved the carrier into a smaller ante room so I could continue cleaning and so he could feel secure. I will pick up a large dog crate today, and I set him up in there. I have a bedroom upstairs that I call the cat room where I keep my cats food, water bowls, additional litter boxes etc. . I am going to move their stuff downstairs and put Rocky in the dog crate in the cat room and go from there. I will continue to work and see if he comes around, but even if he doesn’t, I’m committed to caring for him till he’s completely healed.