Help with injured stray

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
The fact that he meowed is actually a very strong indication that he is not fully feral - this is obviously extremely advantageous for you as far as socialization goes!

Is that heating pad an electric one, by the way?

Like someone else said, males can retain that pungent urine smell for a while after surgery. The litter box being confined to a small, closed room will also exacerbate any urine smell (and especially that of a newly neutered male!).

Can you close the basement door - while ensuring your resident cats aren’t in there - whenever you have to tend to him? That way, if he does escape the laundry room, it won’t result in a total disaster - he will still be somewhat confined, and there is no risk of violent altercation with your resident kitties.

Personally speaking, I don’t even try to start socializing a feral for the first week or two, especially if there has been recent surgery or they are healing from injury or recovering from illness.

Ferals and semi-Ferals are dealing with a lot when you bring them inside. Like... a lot (and again - especially so if surgery/illness/injury is also tacked onto it!!!). Territory is absolutely everything for a cat. It is life or death to them, and particularly for ferals or cats who are accustomed to surviving on their own outdoors. And you have taken his territory away from him.

From his perspective, you’ve now placed him in a new territory that almost certainly smells claimed by other cats to him - so he’s being forced to trespass in another cat’s territory. This alone is severely distressing for a cat.

But he’s also facing an apex predator (you) in addition to that. And to make matters worse, he is injured, and acutely aware of his vulnerability right now.

This is so incredibly stressful for any animal - although don’t you dare think that means you aren’t doing the right thing! You definitely are, but understanding his perspective will help to better guide you in your approach.

I take things one hurdle at a time, as best as I can. My main priority for the first week or so is to allow them time to feel some sense of safety and security in their new surroundings. Nothing more.

So I only visit for basic care (no talking or eye contact). I stick to a very strict routine to provide them the comfort of predictability, keep things as dark and quiet as possible (no harsh lighting, but I will use lamps and night lights during the day/night), plug in some Feliway, and play “cat music” on low during the day. During this period of acclimation, I will also put in a scratcher and/or condo/tree/hammock/etc, some safe toys, and offer some catnip and special treats (sometimes in simple treat puzzles if I can) as additional forms of “gentle” hands-off enrichment. But I do not interact.

Ideally, the first goal is to allow kitty to acclimate to their new environment (not fully, but enough to settle in a bit). Then acclimate to you. Then any other people in the household. Then other areas of the house, little by little (while other pets are locked up). And then finally, the other resident animals.

Ultimately, I came to base this approach on my training as a feline behavioral consultant and a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. Ferals (and other poorly socialized cats) are not that different from wildlife when it comes to stress from confinement or territory loss.

But it’s a general approach! Each cat is different, as is each situation. And everyone goes about this differently for a variety of reasons.

And since your kitty is very likely not fully feral, you may not need to be so cautious! But because of his current disposition, injury, and surgery, I would still wait a week before really starting to push other boundaries (unless he seems to really be coming around on his own and expressing clear interest in further interaction with you).

He really is going through a lot right now. He needs time to focus most of his energy on healing and identifying with his new home. In the process, he will also begin to observe that you are not as much of a predator as you seem - but the active steps toward “friendship” still need to wait a bit longer.

Patience, time, and empathy are your most valuable assets when taming a feral/semi-feral.

Thank you so much for going above and beyond to get this little guy the help he do desperately needed!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
If you can get a large or XL dog crate with a divider, you can place the divider in horizontally (secured with zip ties and zip tying cardboard or corrugated plastic sheeting on top of it for the flooring) to add a shelf - this helps utilize vertical space and helps keep you from being forced to cram everything in together. Tractor Supply’s Retriever brand sells decent crates like these.

My second crating tip is to place a carrier (like a regular, plastic pet carrier) in the crate. Use a twist tie or zip tie to keep the door open by attaching it to the crate (If he gets “cage rage” you may need to further secure the carrier by zip tying some of the vent holes to the side of the crate too).

The advantage of this, is that it usually allows you to access to crate for cleaning quite easily, and without risking escape or injury.

When you need to tend to feeding and cleaning duties, you undo the twist tie on the door. Most cats will either already be in the carrier or immediately go into the carrier to hide when you come in the room.

Once they go in, grab a broom or yard stick. Run the broom handle/yard stick from one side of the crate (starting on the side where the carrier door is) all the way to the other side of the crate, so that it is holding the carrier door closed.

Then you can open the crate and safely manually lock the carrier door. Kitty will hang out in the carrier while you tend to feeding and cleaning duties. When you’re done, unlock the carrier door with your broom/stick barrier still in place, and close the crate. Then you can remove the broom/stick, and use it to maneuver the carrier door open, where you can then grab it and secure it with a twist tie again.

When you need to clean the bedding in the carrier or clean the carrier itself, just take the carrier (with kitty in it) out of the crate, and put a new carrier with clean bedding in the crate.

When it’s time to put kitty back in the crate, set up the new carrier with the door already secured open. Take the old carrier with kitty in it, and open the door inside the crate, facing the new carrier. You may have to tilt and/or tap the old carrier to get kitty to transfer to the new one. Most will go straight to the new carrier, and you can quickly close the crate once they do - but stay vigilant, as a minority of cats will still try to escape.

A few other caveats with the carrier method -

Some cats are more “tree dwellers” and prefer to stay on the shelf. However, most can be gently coaxed into the carrier by tapping on parts of the crate and/or slowly uncovering it (always keep the crate covered, at least for the first few weeks!).

A minority of cats are very hardcore tree dwellers though. They can be coaxed into the carrier as well, but it requires significant effort and... scare tactics. It’s too stressful and counterproductive to do this daily (save it for emergencies, vet trips, release, etc).

In this case, it is often better to place something on the shelf that they can hide behind, like a cat bed with taller sides. So long as they have something to hide behind on the shelf, they will usually always stay in place while you tend to crate duties. But remember to stay vigilant regardless.

Here are some examples of our some of our set ups -

BF7F6F30-709D-4878-A355-A932168BC15D.jpeg

44496119-B01A-4E82-8CAB-0D84EA05ECEE.jpeg

CD1E9002-B88B-4F0C-9223-8FB6545B1C16.jpeg

CE2C00BF-61B1-435A-B130-AF5544E576D4.jpeg

4A07C38C-60FF-4CB1-9FF0-6594972727B5.jpeg

7A30E964-62EE-4E7B-B772-1D2D6D284CCE.jpeg
4071E2AF-D35D-4866-B0FB-3DB21FDBEA79.jpeg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for sharing your expertise and suggestions! Last night he was alert, pacing and mad when I checked on him before bed and same thing this morning, and he was laying on top of the crate/carrier jumped down, began growling, hissing and pacing. I remained calm, got on his level, spoke softly and reassuringly to him as I was cleaning his box, and filling food bowls. He went back into the crate and I secured him back inside, and moved the carrier into a smaller ante room so I could continue cleaning and so he could feel secure. I will pick up a large dog crate today, and I set him up in there. I have a bedroom upstairs that I call the cat room where I keep my cats food, water bowls, additional litter boxes etc. . I am going to move their stuff downstairs and put Rocky in the dog crate in the cat room and go from there. I will continue to work and see if he comes around, but even if he doesn’t, I’m committed to caring for him till he’s completely healed.
First off, GREAT advice from Moxieworld!!!

"Last night he was alert, pacing and mad when I checked on him before bed and same thing this morning, and he was laying on top of the crate/carrier jumped down, began growling, hissing and pacing." - That is normal and expected. Just make sure you are calm and confident and don;t make any movements that could be misunderstood as "threatening".

"I have a bedroom upstairs that I call the cat room where I keep my cats food, water bowls, additional litter boxes etc. . I am going to move their stuff downstairs and put Rocky in the dog crate in the cat room and go from there." - Personally I would not do this. One of the things we want is to try to limit any change for the resident/existing cats. Taking territory away could cause them issues. If possible I would leave him in the laundry room for now. I know it is not ideal and if it becomes untenable then we can figure something out. He can start feeling some ownership in that laundry room and that will help ease his stress. We want to try to reduce the stress as much as possible.

Moxieworld did a great job in explaining the crate situation and benefits.

We'll see how he does. I suspect he will come around. Just try not to force things and just take good care of him for now. Cats realize that the human is giving good things (food) so they make a positive association and are really good at reading people and their intentions. So trust can be built.

Make sure you read and re-read Moxieworld's posts as I thought they were really well written and educational.

So far I think he is doing and behaving amazingly well. Stay safe with him and keep on eye on the resident cats to see if there is any change in behavior from them.

Keep up the great work!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moxi, thank you so much for your suggestions and experience! It does indeed make total sense, I will work on getting a XL cage and a smaller carrier for the inside, what a awesome set up! I’ve looked at my nearby TS and they didn’t have any, so I will look for other stores to see if I can pick one up. I’ve got him back in the laundry room in the mean time with his crate door open I have purchased a wireless camera so I can check on him and minimize going in. I also did a enzyme cleaning of the laundry room and sanitized all his bedding and got him his own new bed to help with any smell of my cats and hopefully I can get him squared away in his own set up where he will feel more secure. I don’t want him stressed and I don’t want my cats stressed and I certainly don’t want any encounters between Any of them.
I just want to be clear to everyone that my cats are not in the basement at all when I go down to check on Rocky, I make sure they are all on the main floor and I then shut the door to the basement and go check on him, I then shut the door that leads to that section of the basement as well, I then open the laundry room door cautiously and slowly. If he’s up and about I don’t go in. Resident kitties have a routine and I’m keeping them to that routine.
I am so grateful for everyones tips tricks and suggestions, and I know Rocky is too!

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ooops well I guess he will stay in the laundry room, I don’t want to upset him any further......thanks for letting me know this!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooops well I guess he will stay in the laundry room, I don’t want to upset him any further......thanks for letting me know this!
You are doing great!!

Give the resident cats a little extra play, treats, love etc.

One thing I do want to mention. Just make sure to not stand over the new guy, or reach over him, don't stare, etc.

We'll guide you through the process.

You are doing great!!

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  1. Last night was good, I went in before bed and topped off food and water for the night. I ignored him and I got very faint meows and no growls.
  2. Same this this morning, I ignored him and refilled his food and water, he’s drinking lots of water and eating all his food, yay!
  3. I managed to find a large crate, they had no XL ones in stock at Tractor Supply, any tips of getting him in it? He is currently hanging out on top of his large carrier and if I could get him back inside it would make the transfer easier, but I don't want to stress him out either.

4. Thank you again to everyone for helping me help Rocky.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. Last night was good, I went in before bed and topped off food and water for the night. I ignored him and I got very faint meows and no growls.
  2. Same this this morning, I ignored him and refilled his food and water, he’s drinking lots of water and eating all his food, yay!
  3. I managed to find a large crate, they had no XL ones in stock at Tractor Supply, any tips of getting him in it? He is currently hanging out on top of his large carrier and if I could get him back inside it would make the transfer easier, but I don't want to stress him out either.

4. Thank you again to everyone for helping me help Rocky.
AWESOME!!!

I am a big believer in saying "it's ok" in a calm and confident voice.

"I managed to find a large crate, they had no XL ones in stock at Tractor Supply, any tips of getting him in it? He is currently hanging out on top of his large carrier and if I could get him back inside it would make the transfer easier, but I don't want to stress him out either." - I would personally set it up and let him get used to it and "own" it. Then see how he would react if you close it when he is in there. I too wouldn't force him in there for now. It seems to be working pretty well with the current set up. I would just play it by ear.

Sounds like he is doing really well. You are a HERO!!!! :clap2:

How are the resident cats acting? Normal or are you seeing any changes?

Keep up the great work!!!

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Calico: I wish the room was big enough to have both set up, its just not big enough to have his current carrier (it’s large enough for a big dog) and the crate at the same time. Every time I go in he’s on top of the carrier, I understand that, cats like to be high up and I don't blame him. But I still need to get him in the crate so that I can at least do laundry on occasion.
So far my cats are fine, and I have not noticed a change in any of their behavior, and I continue to keep the basement door closed as I always do durning the day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calico: I wish the room was big enough to have both set up, its just not big enough to have his current carrier (it’s large enough for a big dog) and the crate at the same time. Every time I go in he’s on top of the carrier, I understand that, cats like to be high up and I don't blame him. But I still need to get him in the crate so that I can at least do laundry on occasion.
So far my cats are fine, and I have not noticed a change in any of their behavior, and I continue to keep the basement door closed as I always do durning the day.
Ok. I think you mentioned there is a spot that is set up where he can go when the current crate is being cleaned. I can't find where you wrote that but I think that is what I remember. It is always tricky swapping out a "home" for another but given the space constraints and the fact the bigger create could be better it is probably a good idea to just swap them. Now, I do think he will be wanting to be out of the crate more and the challenge will be to get him in there. If you can place the crate most away from the washing machine and dryer that can give him a "safety" spot when you do laundry. And of course, the more laundry is done he will realize it isn't really negative and he will learn to accept it.

Yes, I actually like that he is going "high" on the crate BUT I know what you mean, he is getting more comfortable being out of the crate which will make it tougher to get him in. There is always a point where the cat feels more comfortable and "the cat is out of the crate". But if you put the new crate a bit away he may go in there when you do the laundry. He may not like the laundry machines at first but my guess is he will do pretty well. Just reassure him and monitor how he is doing.

GREAT that the resident cats are doing well. Just keep an eye on them as they will most likely have the more difficult transition.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before bed I checked on Rocky to fill his food and water bowls, he get wet and dry food, he meowed and was very vocal, but no hissing or growling, and jumped down and came over to where I was bent down filling his bowls. I didn’t want to crowd him so I slowly stood up and left the room and came back 45 minutes later to put his wet food down and refresh his water, he was back on top of his crate and not vocalizing at all.
Same routine this morning, cleaning his box, food wet and dry and fresh water, we didn’t speak to each other, I double checked his bowls this afternoon and saw he was hiding under the utility sink where I have it covered as a hiding spot with a bed and a heating pad. I managed to quietly move his carrier around so I might be able to do laundry, and I will just keep his carrier in there for now.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before bed I checked on Rocky to fill his food and water bowls, he get wet and dry food, he meowed and was very vocal, but no hissing or growling, and jumped down and came over to where I was bent down filling his bowls. I didn’t want to crowd him so I slowly stood up and left the room and came back 45 minutes later to put his wet food down and refresh his water, he was back on top of his crate and not vocalizing at all.
Same routine this morning, cleaning his box, food wet and dry and fresh water, we didn’t speak to each other, I double checked his bowls this afternoon and saw he was hiding under the utility sink where I have it covered as a hiding spot with a bed and a heating pad. I managed to quietly move his carrier around so I might be able to do laundry, and I will just keep his carrier in there for now.
"he meowed and was very vocal, but no hissing or growling, and jumped down and came over to where I was bent down filling his bowls." - AWESOME!! He is associating you with "good things" (food, water. litter box, comfy bedding.home) and building trust. I LOVE those moments.

Just act normal (calm and confident) and at this point I think you can talk lovingly to him and see how he responds. Good for him to get used to your voice.

He is doing really well. My guess he had a fair amount of human interaction before you found him. He is really acting well. Of course, you are REALLY taking GREAT care of him and cats really respond to being loved.

Do what you think is best. There are many paths that lead to success. There is no "only one" right way. Just watch how he is doing, how he responds, etc and react accordingly. Given how well he seems to be doing I think there is some leeway.

Talking to him in a calm, confident and loving way is probably appropriate at this point given how he is doing. Just don't stare at him, stand over him, reach above him, etc. Don't initiate contact with him either. And if he does try to rub on you stay as calm and confident as possible. I suspect we may be facing that in the nearer future than we may have thought. Cats really tend to take on our emotions so the more calm and confident we are the more they tend to be.

It sounds like you are doing an amazingly job. Let's us know how he is doing and any updates/questions.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad, he spent all day hiding in his hideaway and he didn’t eat what I put out for him this morning. I’m sure he felt much safer in there, the old “you can’t see me“ thing that cats do. Just checked and he was stretched out in front of the heater thats set on low (it’s a safe heater and my basement is very cool even in the summer months) getting the warmies. When I opened the door he began meowing up a storm and didn’t move, I crouched down and didn’t go in and didn’t look at him but spoke to him till he was done. I shut the door and went about doing a few things in the basement and he began this forlorn meowing cause I’m sure he could hear me moving around the basement. Should I just ignore this or??? I know, like a child, if you give in then the manipulation begins :p, and I’m pretty sure he just wants out of there. I did leave him some treats and a few brand new toys of his own.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, PLEASE DO NOT FEEL BAD. You are saving his life. I know what you mean but I don't want you to be feeling badly.

With that said, what exactly changed before his change in behavior?

"Just checked and he was stretched out in front of the heater thats set on low (it’s a safe heater and my basement is very cool even in the summer months) getting the warmies." - That sounds pretty good. An improvement.

"When I opened the door he began meowing up a storm and didn’t move, I crouched down and didn’t go in and didn’t look at him but spoke to him till he was done." - How was his body language? I think you can give him a little look and even some eye kisses (slowly close your eyes, keep them closed for a few seconds and then slowly open them). Tell him "it's ok" and reassure him. And of course, giving treats is a great idea.

Yeah, I think he is probably feeling better and therefore wanting out. But he needs to stay in there for now. Just give him his good food, nice places to hang out, some love talk and eye kisses.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have contact!
I went in and replenished his food this afternoon, I don’t want him to run out and then feel anxious that the bowls are empty. I spoke to him, even though he was hiding, he meowed and then came out and began brushing up against my leg and I slowly bent down and he began rubbing against my hand and licking me. We had a few minutes of nice interaction and then I could tell he was getting over stimulated so I quietly left the room. He has a large abscess that was fist size on his shoulder, it is really healing nicely and shrinking and his blind eye looks much better. This is the first time I’ve been able to have a good look at his wounds since he’s been Inside. The Vet did say that she’d give me more meds for his eye if he was able to be safely handled, while we are not even close to there yet, im very pleased with how far he’s come in such a short amount of time and I’m in no rush. I plan to continue to keep him in the laundry room, and to gradually spend more time in there with him and allow him to heal.
My cats are still acting normal and the dynamics of their group remain the same.
Thanks for the continued support, advice and feedback, it’s greatly appreciate!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have contact!
I went in and replenished his food this afternoon, I don’t want him to run out and then feel anxious that the bowls are empty. I spoke to him, even though he was hiding, he meowed and then came out and began brushing up against my leg and I slowly bent down and he began rubbing against my hand and licking me. We had a few minutes of nice interaction and then I could tell he was getting over stimulated so I quietly left the room. He has a large abscess that was fist size on his shoulder, it is really healing nicely and shrinking and his blind eye looks much better. This is the first time I’ve been able to have a good look at his wounds since he’s been Inside. The Vet did say that she’d give me more meds for his eye if he was able to be safely handled, while we are not even close to there yet, im very pleased with how far he’s come in such a short amount of time and I’m in no rush. I plan to continue to keep him in the laundry room, and to gradually spend more time in there with him and allow him to heal.
My cats are still acting normal and the dynamics of their group remain the same.
Thanks for the continued support, advice and feedback, it’s greatly appreciate!
Well, THAT was fast!!!! :D I figured it would happen but didn't expect it this soon. WOW!!!

Good job ending it before he got overstimulated. Safest thing to do.

"He has a large abscess that was fist size on his shoulder, it is really healing nicely and shrinking and his blind eye looks much better." - Poor guy. But I am SO GLAD he found an angel to save him!!

"The Vet did say that she’d give me more meds for his eye if he was able to be safely handled, while we are not even close to there yet, im very pleased with how far he’s come in such a short amount of time and I’m in no rush." - It is wonderful he is getting better. Yes, be safe. Administering meds is a challenge in the good situations.

"I plan to continue to keep him in the laundry room, and to gradually spend more time in there with him and allow him to heal." - Very good idea.

"My cats are still acting normal and the dynamics of their group remain the same." - GREAT. Keep working on keeping them confident and positive.

No, THANK YOU for saving him!! You are a true hero!!!

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he has a love hate relationship with me! He rubs against my legs then hisses at me, this is his interaction with me when I go in to clean his box and refill his food, I’m not coaxing him or talking to him nor do I go in when he’s out on his own. He’s very comfy in his little hideaway under the sink and he has 2 x come out when I have been in there, and I will talk to him if he comes out. I’m sure he’s still scared though I think he loves his scratcher with catnip.
Any advice to help with his hissing?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is totally normal and part of the process. I had a feral in my colony that would hiss at me every time for several years. It was a "don't mess with me" reminder. And then I would feed her her food or chicken out of my hand and things were fine. Because of how I responded. I respected her wishes to "not mess with her" and we had an agreement. That was just her. She was VERY feral.

He is working out the process. He is thanking you and wanting to "own you" by rubbing on you. But he still is a bit cautious and saying "but don't mess with me". Happens all the time. The key is to stay calm and confident so that he knows all is well. To not reach for him or stare at him or stand over him (though I know when he rubs it can;t be avoided). I often talk to the cat is a calm, confident and loving tone. "It's ok" is a phrase I use a lot with ferals.

So basically respect his communication (hiss), act normal, stay calm and confident, keep giving his food to make that positive association, you can talk calm, confidently and lovingly to him. Don't corner him or reach for him etc. Cats typically only would attack when feeling threatened and/or cornered.

So I don't think it is a love/hate thing. I think it is still just a little lack of trust but he is appreciating what you are doing. It also could be that he smells the resident cats on you and that could be causing some insecurity. He just needs to build that trust that it is all positive and there is no threat. It just takes a little time. But I think you will make great progress. I get a sense he will sense your love and caring for him.

I hope that helps a little. Please keep us up on how things are going and ask anything anytime .

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Calico,
Thank you so much for your response, makes total sense! I will continue to go at his pace! He’s done so well! I did laundry today and he had no reaction at all to the noise and my comings and goings of his space most of the morning, and even acknowledged my presence with an occasional soft meow and nice short conversations.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

Yes, great idea. Just go at his pace, follow his lead.

REALLY GREAT to hear he handled the laundry well. A great sign of him getting more confidence and having more trust.

You are way ahead of where I thought you would be. GREAT job. Just keep it up.

Feel free to talk calm, confidently and lovingly to him. Give eye kisses. Continue giving good food, cleaning litter, etc.

At some point we'll have to think about where we will have him to work on intro'ing him. So we can get them feeding on each side of the door and he can look outside, etc. We still need to build him up but something we'll have to figure out in the near future.

Keep up the great work!! You are doing AMAZINGLY well. Way ahead of schedule. :clap2: