Help please. My cat's cone was too short and he damaged the neuter incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It probably just needs cleaned. Try a soft, clean cloth with warm water to see if that will help. Funny, for a cat who couldn't stop licking at this place, wonder why he is not cleaning it himself? I presume you have taken the cone off by now?
No, cone is still on. Reason is because last week I thought i could trust him but no he bit it off in 1 minute. I've tried to clean it but the hair will not budge at all.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, but the thing is, the wound scabbed up with hair in the way, so i feel like it could be preventing healing, is that possible?

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. The area appears to have not improved at all. He is very energetic right now so i will get a picture tomorrow.
Also the hair on the area is not loss it's the hair that's attached to him

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. The area appears to have not improved at all. He is very energetic right now so i will get a picture tomorrow.
Also the hair on the area is not loss it's the hair that's attached to him
I have a hard time understanding what you mean by this post. Please explain further? And you said you will get a pic, so I will wait for that.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, sorry about the confusion. I meant the hair that is on the wound is not loose hair. Here is a picture, maybe I don't see an improvement but you all do 🥲😅
IMG_20230407_050011.jpg

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you. I let him groom himself but he gotta to the area again. There was some weird white stuff that seemed like skin or something? Not sure what it was, it's dried now but i circled it in the picture. I immediately sprayed the MicrocynAh hydrogel because I thought he reopened the area but there was no blood or anything, it was just wet from saliva. The whole protruding part (which i think is the flesh of the scrotum) looks like it's literally gonna fall off. could it just fall off like that? The area hasn't seemed to improve in the past 4 days so I'm thinking possibly it could fall off? But I'm also a bit concerned cause like a chunk of flesh drying up and falling off doesn't seem very good. Should i keep his cone off and let him lick? didn't see any blood so i don't think he did that much damaged but he might've done something, hence the weird white thing.
P.S. sorry if my questions seem a little stupid I don't wanna do anything wrong and make the area worse 😭
IMG_20230407_160330.jpg
IMG_20230407_160239.jpg
IMG_20230407_160225.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think what you are seeing is dead skin and scabbing that will fall off over time. I am not sure about the protrusion, or if it is really anything to be concerned about right now. He aggravated that area a lot with his opening the incision, so it just needs time to completely heal. He could even have some extra scar tissue in that area because of the multiple re-openings. But scar tissue can happen 'normally' too.

If you are concerned about removing the cone, do it for small periods of time and see what happens. Odds are once he can get to that area and clean it, he may well leave it alone thereafter.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think what you are seeing is dead skin and scabbing that will fall off over time. I am not sure about the protrusion, or if it is really anything to be concerned about right now. He aggravated that area a lot with his opening the incision, so it just needs time to completely heal. He could even have some extra scar tissue in that area because of the multiple re-openings. But scar tissue can happen 'normally' too.

If you are concerned about removing the cone, do it for small periods of time and see what happens. Odds are once he can get to that area and clean it, he may well leave it alone thereafter.
I have just checked the area again and i noticed that the ball of flesh is connected to the white dried area. It's peeling off from one side so i think it'll fall off

I will keep the cone on him for a couple more days and see if there is better progress.

Thank you so much

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was neutered on Monday, one week ago. On Friday, i caught him licking his incision and i noticed his cone was too short. He licked it and there was something protruding out of it. I have been applying taro mupirocin ointment to it and yesterday on Sunday, i noticed it was bleeding again. It's Monday now and the area is hardening but there some yellow crust on the side. I'm worried sick and the vet is not an option. Please help. I have attached an image
The vet NEEDS to be an option. This is a medical issue. Send him/her the photos and call him/her. Your cat is their patient.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, the cat just scratched the whole ball off. There is a small amount of blood since he ripped it off but it's dried up already. This is what came off
16809361760185256739275130738086.jpg
16809362099396437003082494332769.jpg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, the cat just scratched the whole ball off. There is a small amount of blood since he ripped it off but it's dried up already.
This looks/sounds totally normal. Scabs on animals with fur naturally contain hair in them, which makes them look more like balls sometimes than scabs on our human skin.

Also, scabs sometimes naturally get rubbed off a little early, even from our own human skin, when we aren't deliberately scratching them like a cat might do. And this can cause more bleeding after they come off... but there's a lot of healing happening under the scab, so subsequent bleeding is usually minimal.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This looks/sounds totally normal. Scabs on animals with fur naturally contain hair in them, which makes them look more like balls sometimes than scabs on our human skin.

Also, scabs sometimes naturally get rubbed off a little early, even from our own human skin, when we aren't deliberately scratching them like a cat might do. And this can cause more bleeding after they come off... but there's a lot of healing happening under the scab, so subsequent bleeding is usually minimal.
Yup, i apologize if I sounded like i was worried in my reply, i was actually very very very happy that i had gotten to this point where the scab finally fell off. Thank you so much!