Help! Newborn Kitten With Large Hernia

Status
Not open for further replies.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone found two 1-day old kittens, umbilical cords still attached on Monday and gave them to me to foster and bottle feed. After receiving them and proceeding to give their first feeding, I realized that one of the kittens was not doing quite as well, she weighed just 85 grams on Tuesday morning and her brother was 95-100g. I realized that she had a large swelling on her lower side abdomen/leg. I immediately thought it was swelling or an injury of some sort but the bone seemed ok. I was able to get her to eat and she lived through the night. I told the finder about it and she payed to have me take the kitten to the vet on Tuesday afternoon. The vet examined the bulge and determined that she probably has a huge hernia. She told me I should feed her and give it 3-4 days, but that she would need surgery to survive and that she is too small for surgery for such a big hernia :(. I thought this kitten wouldn't make it through the first night when I saw the hernia, but she is eating like a champ and still fighting hard, despite not pooping for 72 hours and the hernia doubling in size. I'm wondering what options I have at this point as I am fostering them by myself, and I appreciate any personal advice or thoughts/opinions about what I should do.
This was her on Monday night when I got her:
IMG_4809.JPG

And this is her 3 days later
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG
It's gotten even slightly larger within the past day, although she doesn't seem to be in too much pain, it is becoming a mobility issue. I don't want her to. Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
toulousekitty toulousekitty

Oh my! Yes, it does appear to be a hernia.

Since it is growing, the kitten needs emergency surgery. She may or may not survive the surgery, but the vet needs to try.

Do you have confidence in the vet? If not, see another one, but it needs medical attention right away.

Most hernias are smaller and are repaired when kittens are spayed or neutered at 2 pounds.

I don't think this one can wait. It could be life threatening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here she is today
IMG_5033.JPG
The vet I saw was at banfield, when the hernia looked like it did in the first picture and she said the youngest she'd done that type of surgery on was one month old. She hasn't pooped for 3 days now and Ive read online that could be a sign of a complication with the hernia. I'm fostering this kitten by myself, and don't have the funds for that kind of surgery. I can call the vet tomorrow if she's in, but I think she is going to reccomend euthanizing her. The finder said she was short on funds but would maybe help fundraise for surgery, but hasn't contacted me since I told her the hernia was growing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some ideas:

Call a rescue organization and ask if their vet can do the surgery, and you continue to foster the kitten.

Get infant glycerin suppositories, and shave a sliver and insert it. Wait a few minutes, then stimulate the kitten to poop.

Ask a non-Banfield vet if they will work with you on a payment plan to pay off the surgery over time.

I hope you can work something out asap. This could burst anytime and the kitten will die.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Contact perhaps a major vet-medical school. They want to have interesting cases to exercise on, so to speak. This may even go free of charge to you.
I suppose the standard solution is to pts, so that is why no GP vet wont know nothing about such surgery. But this is no open hernia, so it should be treatable - if the vet surgeon is skilled enough!

You had got good advices from SArthur.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel bad for this little kitten, but the vet said the surgery could be thousands of dollars, with a poor prognosis. I've contacted a few rescues with no reply yet. I just don't want the kitten to suffer

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, the theoretical chance is a vet school, or a vet whom wants to have this surgeon experience. Hopefully without costs to you.

Otherwise if you can not find such a vet, the only wise advice is to pts, I think. Name it so you can remember and honor it, and do what must be done.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The surgery as such is easier and more chance rich here than with kittens born with open intestines. Here is no contagion nor infestion with dirt and bacterias outside.

So there IS a theoretical chance...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hernia repair in itself is not an extensive surgery. It's a shame that vets tend toward a negative prognosis so often with kittens.

Hopefully some one with a rescue will call back. Please keep us posted.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is doing well, despite the hernia. She's eating well and she even pooped! The hernia is huge though, and I'm not sure how to go about getting her surgery or taking her to the shelter or letting her live her natural course.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Can you call a rescue and ask if their vet can help if you then foster the kitten until time for it to be adopted out by the shelter?

Some rescues will do this.

The hernia needs to be repaired, and should not cost a fortune.

Most hernias are easily repaired during spays and neuters.

Where are you located? City and state. I'll look for links for shelters and low-cost spay clinics for you.

It's good the kitten is thriving otherwise.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in the South Bay/west side of Los Angeles in California. The vet seemed to think that her small size with such a large hernia was the issue, and a poor prognosis. I have contacted some other rescuers online and am arranging to hopefully get her a second opinion!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a second opinion is needed as soon as possible.

Are you hearing back from anyone? Sometimes you have to be persistent.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not from any rescues, although I haven't been so persistent, as I wasn't sure if she was going to make it! Tomorrow I will try to call around and ask for help. I'm somewhat unsure of even how to ask/explain what's going on so that someone will listen.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
HAD you tried to contact the veterinary schools?

I notice your vet told she did hernia surgery on a 1 months old. Was the operation succesfull and did the little one survive?
Most GP vets wont do such a surgery, so this vet is probably above average as surgeon...

If she has pooped, ie its not total stop in the intestines in the hernia, she may even live quite long with this hernia. The hurry earlier was because we were convinced it was total stop in there.

I remember from my childhood awful pics in an old medical book showing different medical problems. Including several of boys several years old (or even older) with giant hernias into the genitals...Big sacks down to the knees. I presume it was before the time advanced surgery was standard. OR it did cost so much their parents didnt afford. I mean, nowadays we dont hardly see such. Perhaps sometimes from poor countries, but not here in the West. I mean, here in the West we dont do euthanasia on humans, so it must be done by surgery.
So apparently its possible to live on quite long even with a big hernia sack, with a little luck and Gods will. Also eating food easy to digest.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for the exact adresses, Abyeb. If its as I think and hope; they do it not because of money but to be able to exercise - advanced students doing the surgery under close supervision of their teachers whom are experienced vet surgeons. Or even the professor himself showing off how the ropes shall be done - if they find the "case" interesting, they may perhaps even help with transport costs, in there and back home.

Write up a nice and informative mail, not too long, the most importanf first, perhaps attach two pics, and send away. Its really not more work nor more embarrassing hen contacting all these rescue organisations.

ps. Toulouse - is it after one of the kittens in Aristocats? One of Duchesses children and Thomas O´Malleys future adoptive child?

Status
Not open for further replies.