Help! Newborn Kitten With Large Hernia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is located in Los Angeles, California.

You explain it very simply. Off er to email the picture (which is self-explanatory), and say that you cannot afford hernia surgery on this orphaned kitten you are caring for. Give its age. Say you are looking for help.

You really need to reach out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The vet school listed above is in Davis. It can't hurt to call and ask to speak with a veterinarian.

:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_5391.JPG
I thought it was a total blockage as well, but she had pasty poop then a big very solid poop like her brother. I'm not sure if she's blocked at all by the looks of the poop, but she is getting weaker I think mainly because the hernia is growing pretty quickly and she can't keep up with the size. :(

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They won't take it as a special case at any vet school in my state/General area. I called Pomona and uc Davis, both of which have emergency clinics already, so they are not willing to fund any emergency surgeries

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's huge! This is so sad. :(

Can you ask a local vet for a payment plan?

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Toulouse is black like Berlioz but has a personality more like Toulouse in the movie! Perhaps he is their future kitten after all!
I schedules a vet visit for tomorrow for the second opinion, thankfully I was able to get a somewhat local rescuer to help with the vet cost!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Solid stools in both kittens? The perfect consistency is paste, if its solid it hints some dehydration / partly constipation. In both.

The first step is to make sure they have enough with fluids - I would suggest you give a couple of drops between every feeding. The alternative is to dilute the KMR somewhat more, but they need the nourishment....

A common advice is also, to add a couple of drops of coldpressed olive or rapessed oil - but we dont want to experiment too much with this poor hernia. You can give this oil drops to the healthy bro, and with her proceed with SARthur´s advice on slivers of glycering in the behind.

Third. If there ever come a moment you think she is now going down, pause the kmr / goats milk - she cant digest no more when dying. The trick to try with is to give pedialyte or honey sweetened water instead. This gives some energy and nutrients - as glucose sugar doenstn need to be digested. A dying for real will die anyway, its no absolute remedy. But if its a temporary down, it will buy her some extra time to fight on, and perhaps survive if healing processes come in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How wonderful that the rescue can help! :)

My hope is that they can perform the surgery as soon as possible, and the kitten will be just fine afterwards.

I'm sure an x-ray will reveal what needs to be done.

Thank you for your persistence. I want the kitten to have a chance at a normal life.

Please keep us posted!

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I am not sure exactly if the cat rescuer/networker woman who is getting us this vet visit is with an organization or not, but have offered to pay for this visit and possibly a third opinion. Hopefully this vet doesn't see her as a lost cause :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let's hope not!

If so, go to another vet. It's worth trying to save her.

Will this woman be able to help with the actual surgery costs?

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet thought it was obviously a special case and took pictures of the hernia to show some experienced vets in Los Angeles that she knows to see if they may be interested in the surgery or if they have any students who could learn from the surgery. The woman who put me in contact to get the kittens and who payed for this vet visit will be helping me fundraise for the possible surgery.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they are able to find someone to help this kitten! It is amazing they have come this far! Thank you for caring for them!

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On July 5, I was able to find a surgeon who wanted to do the surgery but wanted to wait for her to grow before doing it. He knew she would probably not get much older before having an emergency and needed to order special mesh in case of surgery I was told. They thought it would be best to leave her with another more experienced bottle feeder temorarily as she lived closer to the hospital in case of an emergency complication of the hernia. Late that night, I got a call from the bottle feeder with the news that chance was breathing heavily and had pooped a lot more since earlier that day but had also declined and was getting a steadily lower temperature despite efforts to warm her up. The woman told me that the pooping seemed to have been pushing the hernia out worse and causing her to begin to suffer. About an hour later I got another call saying she was on the way to the vet to most likely have her put to sleep. She said chance was now mouth breathing and seemed to be crashing. I offered to bring her brother back and her original kmr formula but she thought it was too late and that it wouldn't help her. An hour later I got a text that she was indeed put to sleep :( she was doing so well even starting biting with her brother she seemed almost like a normal kitten besides the hernia affecting her mobility. I'm not sure how she went downhill so quickly in the woman's care. The woman who had helped me all along had ensured that this bottle feeder was her good friend and very experienced at caring for kittens. Possibly the vet attempting to push the hernia in during the day affected her, possibly the formula switch to breeders edge, or the stress of being apart from her brother unfortunately made her crash within hours that day. Thank you for everyone's help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that the kitten did not survive. :(

I wish something could have been done sooner to help, and quite honestly, I don't understand why the vets kept wanting to wait. Waiting always seemed to be a death sentence.

Switching caregivers, changing formulas, loss of contact with the sibling, waiting, all of this contributed. It's sad. Lessons learned. Ah, well ...

RIP sweet kitten :redheartpump:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.