Getting New Kitten

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't know if this is the best place to post this but i've been thinking lately about getting a new kitten. I'm in the middle of redoing my cat room for the first time since i got my boys two years ago so it won't be for a couple of months definitely, and even then may not be until next year after i finish college and have more time. I suppose I'm just looking for advice on introducing my two boys that are so close to a new cat and whether its even a good idea. I'm not completely sold on the idea yet but it keeps niggling away so i figured i'd do some research and see how plausible it is.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My family, and now myself, only ever had 1 cat at a time, so I haven't personally introduced cats, but I have read many threads on this site about cat introductions. Generally, it usually works out best if you are prepared keep the new cat separated from the other(s) and do a slow introduction. Occasionally, cats become friends immediately, but usually it takes time to accept each other.

Until other members reply, here's some TCS articles with more info:
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty | TheCatSite (this, of course, would be your 3rd)
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite
The Multi-cat Household | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, rubysmama rubysmama gave you ALL of the information I was marshalling for you, so I'll just add that it is a pleasure to know that you are going about this so responsibly! College is almost like having two jobs...you have classes, and you have LOTS of homework, both of which are time-consuming! We'll look forward to meeting the new family member when the time is right for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any advice specific to introducing a kitten to two very well bonded cats? Are they less or more likely to bond with a kitten? Are they going to be more open to a new cat because they know not all cats are scary or less open because they feel like they don’t need the company?

My biggest boy has had interactions with neighbours cats where he’s hissed at them and they’ve looked at him like he’s out of his mind. I’ve also been told that he can get a bit scrappy when out and about. The smallest is off in his own world most of the time, often has cuts and scratches but never anything serious and I imagine it’s just from running through long grass after mice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone have any advice specific to introducing a kitten to two very well bonded cats?
I did a site search hoping to find an older thread that matched your question, and the first 2 are close. The others also discuss adding a 3rd cat to a feline family, and the last one is self explanatory, and might be helpful.

New Cat Stressing Out Older Cat
Did I Make A Mistake In Adopting An 8-week Kitten When I Already Have Two Bonded 4-month Kittens?

Adding 3rd Cat (stray Cat We Took In)
3rd Kitty Integration Advice Needed
Can A 3rd Cat Help Dynamics?
To Get A 3rd?
Looking To Add Third Cat
Adopting Adult Cat Into Home With 2 Kittens?

Why Kittens & Young Cats Should Be Adopted In Pairs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly having owned 11 over my lifetime and only 2 were siblings so auto bonded but she died. I've tried slow introduction, accidental introduction, in a box introduction, isolation bathroom, watched every Jackson Galaxy and Kittten Lady video, dog crate and isolation/room swap, and there's no right or wrong way. Some cats get aggressive, some hide for 2 to 3 weeks, some get very ill and die (well one but that had unusual circumstances) and other won't eat, play and want to leave. We've had it all and every time I gave one away I quickly replaced them so pretty much always having 4 cats because I feel unhappy with 2, and 3 is nearly nice but 4 while better I'm not sure and maybe 3 was the perfect number for me.

The problem is you have 2 long term bonded cats and you have to think how the dynamic might change, will the kitten be unhappy, will one cat befriend the kitten and then you break the bonded cats relationship, will you get 3 unsettled cats. Cat science is impossible to predict but my advice is work out what personality your current cats are, maybe see if you can foster a kitten as that way you are helping but not committing to this path. It will let you understand whether its the right step for you. Also use calming smells like Felliway Friends. I'm probably like you only older and with a family! I had 2 but wanted 3 but couldn't sleep until I had 4 now I think did I do the right thing. I had cats from bad backgrounds and very ill cats, I've adopted strays and had to give away cats and sometimes I've bought expensive pedigrees. Cat utopia might not exist!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I introduced a very young girl kitten to a pair of closely-bonded two-year (or so) old males. They actually seemed to be afraid of her at first. She took about 10 days to complete the introduction (kept escaping by squeezing under the door of her room, so I just put an end to the intro process). The two guys took to her quite well. One of them is very closely bonded with her.