Did I Make A Mistake In Adopting An 8-week Kitten When I Already Have Two Bonded 4-month Kittens?

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I've been a bit anxious about my decision. I adopted a new kitten a few days ago and she's a total sweetheart. From the looks of it she was separated from her mom very early on because she's been to 5 foster homes before I got her. She seems to treat humans very positively and also treats me as her playmate (gentle biting, grabbing of hands, etc -- a habit I'm hoping to slowly get rid of by redirecting her to toys and never letting her continue playing with my hands). My existing 2 kittens never do this because they socialized with each other from birth and also because I never played with them with my hands.

Tofu (new kitten, 8 weeks and 3 days old) is a VERY active kitten. She seems to sleep less 20 hours a day actually. Therefore I'm concerned that she needs a lot of interaction to grow up healthily. I honestly thought that 4 months wasn't that much older than 2 months, but I think I was really wrong.

I've been going through the initial stages of introduction -- exchanges of scent so far. Ashes (the more sensitive of my 2 kittens) has been hissing at Tofu's door a lot and also he's hissed at her scent NONSTOP when I brought it in -- I didn't shove it in his face, I just put it on the floor. He had the same reaction at the vet where he would hiss at anyone new passing by or even at the lady taking his weight. He just hates anyone new, because he's a scaredy cat.

Shadow is a lot calmer, and he's actually seen Tofu and didn't hiss at her at all until she hissed at him. Then he hissed back. This was when I first brought her in, and they haven't interacted since (always separated).

I'm planning to continue this scent exchange until Monday when my ordered cat-gate arrives and then start a proper visual introduction with treats and all.

I brought in a toy of hers for them to investigate and Ashes took the lead in approaching it and smelling it and hisses and growls ensued. The interesting thing was Shadow interpreted the hisses as Ashes defending the toy from him so he hissed back at Ashes which has never happened before. They had a bit of a eye contact stare-down before I broke it. Shadow had some alone time with the toy when he approached it and smelled it with no hissing. Totally clam. But -- he started kind of tossing the toy around aggressively and playing with it, and I didn't want him to associate the smell with "prey" so I quickly took it away after.

My worry is that based on Ashes' aggressive reaction to the scent alone, my 2 bonded kittens will never accept the newcomer when I can see that she desperately needs play buddies. Has it been known to happen where a pair of older kittens accepts a new one? If they get along and play together, will they end up accidentally hurting her? She seems to have been underfed, so she's a smaller size than they were when I got them at 8 weeks old.

If the introduction fails next week OR it succeeds but they largely just ignore her, should I return her to the shelter? I don't care about the lost costs ($400 ish so far), I just want her to have a good life growing up. A good home where she can get a healthy amount of exercise without fearing 2 bigger kittens or being ignored by them.

Advise greatly appreciated. Picture of Tofu attached. She loves sleeping with humans over sleeping in a cat bed. Shaved belly because of being spayed 2 days ago.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and I forgot to mention that while I was inside the sanctuary bathroom with Tofu, Ashes must have approached it from the other side and they immediately played footsie over the crack. But Tofu got hurt within a split second. Ashes' claw must've stung her between her 'toes'. I now put a thick towel underneath the door so Ashes can't assault her through the door. I'm hoping that Ashes thought it was a mouse or some other prey because he hasn't seen Tofu and also this was at the very beginning before the scent mixes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I introduced my two cats I used a gate. The bars criss-cross, so they didn't hurt each other when they punched each other through the gate, their paws would just bounce off. Failure wasn't an option, so I didn't really think about that. I wasn't gonna give either one up ever, so they had to get along. :)

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think any hissing is going to happen when news cats meet ---a baby does it naturally because they don't know if that other thing is going to eat them or not lol....but the play side came out with the under the door paw. Let them do that. It sometimes takes a bit of face time and maybe even a hiss or swat or two for a newcomer to be accepted. Just be there to supervise if it gets out of hand, otherwise let them do it. The baby wants and needs others to snuggle and play with and will use that to join the other two. I am wondering why a 2 month old kitten was tossed around to 5 fosters!! I am fostering 6 kittens right now and I have 4 cats myself including an old geezer of 19 who doesn't like kittens, but he crashes the box gate I made and goes in and eats their food, drinks their water, while they shyly creep up to smell him. Then he saunters back out. Gotta love'em..gotta let them make their own place a bit too.

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
by the way...did you make a mistake?? no....you just took in another love bug... :)

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering why a 2 month old kitten was tossed around to 5 fosters!!
I was wondering the same thing too! 5 foster homes seems way too much for a poor 8 weeks baby. On the bright side, she's very cuddly and loving as a result of it I think.

At first I thought it was good they played under the door, but she bled from her paw (movement otherwise unimpaired and she was unfazed in the 24 hours after) so I stopped it by putting the towel... I don't want her to get any more hurt. :(

Fostering seems like such a joyful job to do, but I fear I might get too attached to them! Letting the babies go must be so hard. Your old geezer sounds like quite the character and fun to observe!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about putting the kitten in a carrier, then letting the other cats in the room? They could meet each other through the bars of the carrier.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite the fact that you have three kittens, you really can’t expect that within a matter of days they will all get along. It could be a week or several but in most cases young cats adjust to one another much easier and quicker than adult cats.

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fostering is wonderful, and yes you can end up like me....foster fail! hahahah... I have 2 brothers that I kept. One because when all the other kittens were still afraid of me (they were feral) he climbed up the bedspread and walked up my body purring.. and came up to gave me a kitten kiss. How could I give him to someone else...:) His brother needed a bit of extra time and well.... I never took them in to be adopted! (They are now 4 years old) I have fostered since and am now. Of course I want to keep them....who wouldn't! But...in order to keep more kittens alive and getting homes, I have to KEEP fostering so I can take on the next ones. Otherwise, kittens in shelters are killed because nobody has the time to take care of them. Even the ones I have were on the kill list if I hadn't taken them. I foster for a non kill, non profit cat shelter nearby and I love them. I got my girl Cheyenne from them 6 years ago and decided to foster since then. So yes... do it. It's such a joy to have little babies and watching the antics. I put mine to bed every night....and you couldn't ask for something nicer than 6 kittens falling to sleep on top of you.....heaven......

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
by the way.... my 6 foster kittens are NOT from the same mom..
3 are and the other 3 are NOT... each one is from someone else and they get along and play like nobodys business... they are kittens... they don't know any better!!

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When cats toss and throw things they are playing with it! Has nothing to do with the other cats/kitten scent. Don't take it away, its a cute thing they do...many times to entertain themselves ...

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it's been 5 days since the post and I've let them have three or four short face-to-face quality times so far. I feel as though it's going really well but I'm not sure if I'm reading the signs correctly.

Shadow hisses very little at her now -- only when she gets really close or when she sort of lunges at him. He seems more curious if anything, follows her around the room, tries to smell her butt (I think?), and sometimes he'll give her a gentle paw on the head. But it looks clawless and very hesitant/half-hearted.

Ashes is going slower, he hisses and starts growling almost immediately upon seeing her. As time goes on he almost doesn't stop growling when she's around. I expected him to be less accepting because Ashes is a very scaredy cat and he probably hates change. I hope he comes around.

None of the bigger boys have hurt her or lunged at her yet. They just kinda look at her cautiously. They've run around and engaged in play-like behavior (including a three-way chase around the apartment). I'm interpreting this as a positive sign. I try to limit face-to-face encounters up to 20-30 min per event, because even though Tofu looks totally fine, I'm sure it could be overwhelming to have two larger cats hissing at you and cornering you.

I made sure to make Tofu feel as comfortable as possible and to be honest she's very unfazed by the boys. She doesn't push it if they hiss but she's also very brave and never hisses back. She tries to play with them but they've yet to fully warm up yet.

Attached is a pic of Ashes hissing at Tofu, Tofu playing with a ball and the boys turned 4 months yesterday so I snatched a birthday picture of their cuddle.
e4b9ded27990099209b882ecc71b928e.png 20180628_164256.png a88b6929f0d3f4b961a2ced08cb71a28.png

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to mention that I used a gate before the face-to-face for a few days -- I think it worked well. I would sometimes feed them on either side, and always give treats to the boys if they were behaving well.

Ashes did seem to lose a bit of an appetite ever since Tofu got here but we have a routine vet appointment on July 2nd so we'll see how he's doing... I try to spice up the food for him but he's been very picky.

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds to me like they are doing just fine. My 6 fosters are now allowed to run in the house all day with my other cats and no problems at all. Max, who looks just like your black and tan on the bottom photo, smells their butts too, but that's normal. All the kittens have gone up to the grown cats and no growls, just curious. One kitten came bouncing back off the porch and Greyson jumped and ran.. I had to laugh!! Your babies are only slightly apart in age, mine are 4 and 6 years old. Sadly I lost my 19 yr old on Wed....
Anyhow....let them do whatever they are going to do. They know each other is there, just feed them in their own dish, and let them interact with each other. Best way to make friends. :)