To Get A 3rd?

Miromc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for some advice on whether I should get a 3rd cat or just leave things be and not risk introducing more tensions.

I currently have 2 cats. A 16 year old male DSH, whom I adopted when he was 10, and a 18 month old female DSH that I’ve had for about 8 months now.

When I got the kitten, it was to fill a void left behind when my other cat passed away after a 2 year long battle with cancer. The 16 year old was heart broken and spent 3 weeks wandering around the house meowing and howling, in what to me looked like trying to find his brother (they were not bonded). I hadn’t intended on getting a kitten, but absolutely fell in love when I met her.

It took about 2 months for them to cohabit well, and now everything is great except when it comes to play time. The senior will play, but only for very short periods of time. Then it’s hissing and him running away to the safety of his window perch.

So, I want to get a playmate for the kitten, but I have concerns. Would 2 young cats just annoy him even more? Could they gang up on him? Or could they just leave him alone, giving him the space he so desperately wants?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I want to get a playmate for the kitten, but I have concerns. Would 2 young cats just annoy him even more? Could they gang up on him? Or could they just leave him alone, giving him the space he so desperately wants?
It is possible that a 3rd cat might be a good playmate for your girl and help give grandpa a break, but it will depend on the personality of the new adoptee. You will want to spend a lot of time talking to shelter staff or breeders to find a good fit.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Having mixed much older cats with much younger, I would say don’t stress your senior further by adding another cat to the mix. Yes it might be a playmate to the younger but it might also be twice the pestering of your senior. My younger cat and a foster cat about the same age absolutely delighted in chasing my senior, preventing her from getting to the litterbox and keeping her from sleeping in her favorite places. Once the foster left it was much more peaceful all around.

flamesabers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible you could play with your younger cat more often to dissuade her from playing too hard with your senior cat?

If not, I think Wile has good advice on finding a 3rd cat that is compatible with both of your cats.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you possibly foster a young cat to see if it works out? Then you could adopt if everything goes well.