Can A 3rd Cat Help Dynamics?

PosesWithDoves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the book, it's been a long year. We had a perfect 2 cat household when our older male passed unexpectedly last July. We were then left with Grey, a youngish (3-5) spayed female that was found starving in a parking lot. She had played with our older male and seemed to enjoy his company. After we mourned we started looking for another cat to be her friend.

In January of this year we adopted Socks estimated to be about 3. Socks came from a hoarding case of 30+ indoor cats and was practically feral. They deemed him a "barn cat" despite never having been outside. The first few months he was kept in a spare bathroom and slowly warmed up to us. He is now perfectly friendly with people, especially men, and especially my husband. He is my husband's cat 100% and if they were not so attached we would have looked for a single cat household a long time ago. The problem came when he started attacking Grey, mostly when she used the litterbox. We had 4 boxes at the time, we now have 5, one in every room and the outdoor enclosed patio, but we have a very small house so he heard any time she was using a box. This only happened maybe twice before I separated him from her. His aggression only got worse. If he escaped from his room he would seek her out like a missile and attack her.

We set up the spare bedroom as his room, installing a screen door with cat screen so he could see out/not be isolated, but also could not harm Grey. We fed them next to each other (and he is surprisingly docile/submissive to her when food is involved). He was leash trained so he could be out around her safely (though she now views him very negatively and leaves whatever room he is in, hissing and growling). We tried using the pheromone plug-ins in every room. I already have cat trees with escape routes in every room, but both cats are very much "floor" cats so that is not especially helpful. Lastly we took Socks to the vet and asked for Prozac. The vet prescribed it and also suggested clicker training so we could redirect Sock's focus. The cat knows "sit, stay, come" and is learning other things now.

So we realized he did not come from a peaceful hoard of cats, but instead a war zone where he views other cats as the enemy. I thought some of it was him needing to be neutered, but it has been 10 months now (he came neutered when adopted). He was always worried about if food would come (which so was Grey for about the first year we had her), something I call "food worried," and now that has slowly been alleviated. He uses the litterbox like a champ and does not spray.

I have often wondered if he would do better in a household with more cats, more like what he used to live in (minus the lack of food and dirty environment). I used to keep chickens and the rule for them is to have a "pecking order" which needs at least 3. Obviously cats are not chickens. We have the opportunity to adopt a female kitten, but the logical part of me worries that I would be compounding the problem and we have obviously created quite a big problem for ourselves. Arranged cat marriages are hard. Any thoughts?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I had some words of wisdom for you on this, but I just don't. My instinct is to say that adding another cat would be adding insult to injury in his eyes, but that's just my instinct.

I have noticed that once there is one answer on a thread, quite often others follow! I hope that happens here. Meanwhile, I'm going to give you a couple of links to articles about reducing stress in cats, which may trigger some ideas for you. There are also a couple under "Cat Behavior" for introducing cats, which also apply to re-introducing them, should you want to follow up with that. Just click on "articles," if you do!

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

Oh, and I found this in the section for Ferals and Rescues, as your "barn cat" seems to have had almost a feral upbringing,

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In this case I would not suggest getting a third cat until socks stops viewing the other cat as the enemy. That may never happen. I hope the prozac helps. If not you may want to rehome socks to a new home where he will be the only cat for life. I had a cat aggressive issue with a stray cat we took in. In the 18 months we spent finding him a new home (where he would be the only cat) he never became friendly to our other cats, though he did stop trying to kill them/draw blood. I wish you luck. Now that he is on prozac, maybe start the introductions again at square 1 where they can only smell each other?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is complicated, because it could help, but it also could make things worse by orders of magnitude, and it's pretty much impossible to predict which it would be until you're actually in the middle of the situation. For that reason, I would suggest not moving forward with another adoption until your current pet situation has stabilized. Personally, I would find the risk to be too high.

I definitely second the stress management suggestions above, and I would also encourage you to hang in there. Cats who have been traumatized sometimes take a very long time to come around, and although I know it probably seems like forever, from what you've written it seems that Socks is making steady progress and will likely continue to improve.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think adding a third cat and especially a kitten would be likely to help the situation. Kittens typically stress cats that are older than them out since they want to play all the time.

Usually having more animals just makes things more complicated, not less complicated. I would wait to see if eventually Socks becomes better around other cats. Getting over trauma can often take a lot of time, so maybe he'll eventually become less aggressive.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't add another female cat. My boy cat loves to constantly play and his sister cat gets easily annoyed by him. Has he ever been around other boy cats? It would be interesting to see if he gets along with them better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PosesWithDoves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes, I agree that it is a sticky situation to be in and it probably won't be helped by another cat. If a potential foster comes along that might be an option to test out the third cat theory, but it wouldn't make sense to try a kitten and have it outgrow the cute and adoptable phase.

The reason I was leaning toward a female over a male is that I had an aunt with 4 males and a single female and the boys targeted and beat up the female to the point where she had to be kept separate. I would assume he was around lots of other cats of all genders and ages considering he came from a hoard, but that was probably a huge territory grab/fight, hence his current attitude toward Grey.

I have wondered if the screen door is more harm than help at this point because they can see each other, but I hate to lock him away in the room, it's so isolated. We have tried reintroduction steps a few times, but have had a busy summer being gone and should maybe try again now that the Prozac is thoroughly in his system (it's been 3 months now). I do worry that they will just always view each other negatively at this point no matter what. I literally don't care about them being friends at this point, I just want them to be able to share the same territory somewhat peacefully and avoid causing litterbox aversion at all costs.

One time one of the people watching them did not secure the door to his room properly and both cats were out together for 12-24 hours. When we got home he greeted us at the door and Grey's fur was in the livingroom. She had taken refuge outside on the enclosed patio and seemed unharmed after inspection. So at least it doesn't seem like he will inflict serious damage at this point.

I do agree that it would be best to rehome him into an only cat home, but unfortunately he is the only animal in the house that has bonded with my husband. It was his cat that passed away last summer and now Socks and him have some weird love for each other, so we have to try to exhaust every option first.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it works out, since your husband loves him so much. Have you told him No and clapped your hands when he attacks his sister? Sometimes if you say the same reprimand every time, they can learn it. My cats know several words. It would be great if you could foster a male cat, maybe they would play together and leave her alone. But I hope they wouldn't gang up on her like you said, it's hard to know without trying it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats took almost a year to really get along, and from my experience females are the divas of the household and really don't get along with other females and keep the boys in their places. If you do decide on another cat, I would get a male over a year old, and try to match the temperament of the male you have. You don't want a timid one that would be beat up. I think another male could be a buddy and keep yours occupied and away from your girl. She will stand up for herself eventually, a place for her to observe, high up, would help. Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, good! Three months on Prozac and the end of the summer madness both at the same time means that you may be able to try that re-introduction. Just be sure to take it VERY slowly, remembering that it can take MONTHS, even when done properly and with cats who are not particularly aggressive. Keep us posted! You have a cheering section this time around!