From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
You would think I'd get a break on my birthday but no. Not me. Mom is her usual self and the cats, well , still fighting. The injuries are my fault and own clumsiness but nothing else is working for me. And I still have to sit here doing 20 hours of surveys.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on my cats:

Weather was nice and so once breakfast fiasco was over, the cats at least tolerated each other. Weather is nice all this week in fact, up in the 60s and 70s. I got notice my car insurance went from $33 a month to $30 a month and I made $30 doing surveys to go to my past bills. Hoping that I make that much today. Then I can start saving for the vet. Oh and the vet called. He's the best vet in the Midwest area (Dr. Gorman) and he takes feral cats (past history is not an issue) and makes house calls. A bit expensive but I can save for that. He even looked over the videos of the limp and said that cats are resilient (especially ferals) and it's not uncommon for them to get injured and then be ok a few days later. He said he's never seen such healthy feral cats in all his years of practice. He's been a vet for 40 years.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
One problem I'm noticing is that Cooper eats too much at one time and then vomits. So I'm going to cut them down to more feedings and less food each one. Outside it's hard to set out food for Cooper only without Shaman or Shadow wanting to eat and vice versa. So I'm breaking their meals down 5 a day. First meal at 7:30 am and last at 3:30 pm as I have been doing but less food each meal. I've tried lick mats and food puzzles and he won't bother with them. I"m just glad I'm home to do it. I couldn't finish the knitted christmas tree so I got a tree topper and placed on top of my old tripod. They have their toys already and today it's buffet of kibble with turkey and giblets. They had Freshpet the other day and I treat them to that just once a week. They don't know it's the holidays.

Last night that possum was sleeping in the tent with Shadow and Cooper.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman, it appears has moved on forever. I thought of all the cats she would have stayed but guess my love for her was not enough. My heart is breaking in two.

After all I did and all the time I spent with these cats. Lost 2, Cooper constantly getting hurt or sick, Shaman always being run off (and she was the first to come to me. If it wasn't for her the other cats would not have food and all of this), Shadow is eh on and off with the other cats.

I failed them, I failed Pepper. (No redemption of my mean and drunk days). And then to top it off I'm doubtful if I"ll make it through this winter with my illness and injuries and no money to take care of myself. Maybe they sense this and have found someone else to care for them for in this event. I'm going to miss all of them though :(

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman, it appears has moved on forever. I thought of all the cats she would have stayed but guess my love for her was not enough. My heart is breaking in two.

After all I did and all the time I spent with these cats. Lost 2, Cooper constantly getting hurt or sick, Shaman always being run off (and she was the first to come to me. If it wasn't for her the other cats would not have food and all of this), Shadow is eh on and off with the other cats.

I failed them, I failed Pepper. (No redemption of my mean and drunk days). And then to top it off I'm doubtful if I"ll make it through this winter with my illness and injuries and no money to take care of myself. Maybe they sense this and have found someone else to care for them for in this event. I'm going to miss all of them though :(
How are things?
Yea I hope everything is well with @ Moonstonewolf...Hadnt seen on site couple days or so

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YOU did not fail them. YOU did your very best. And I've had ferals who totally disappeared for WEEKS turn back up. No explanation, just..."Here I am, and NO, I did not even send a postcard, and I won't send one next time, either!"

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
While I can, I am updating that I'm semi ok. My injuries are worse and have been laid up. Also have been fighting this site for weeks to get online. This site is totally dead on my Chrome browser. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled, have cleared cache and cookies and get a 520 error as well as down detector not able to get on. Firefox has been random but as soon as I try to reply the site dies down on me. I've been having to copy and paste everything today. Also I do have to earn money to continue feeding the cats and that's taking like 18 hours a day.

I'm not sure if this is going to go through or not. Right now Cooper is running around in freezing rain all drenched as if it's 100 degrees outside. I'm going to wind up with dead frozen cats if he doesn't take shelter.

The weather is rain/freezing rain. 32 degrees, wind chills of 22 degrees. I'm really scared I'll lose Cooper because of his stubbornness :(

My heart is breaking over this

Now I have to walk around the yard with crutches on ice looking for Cooper. I just can't trust him to be sensible enough to take shelter. He is always going off and coming back sick or injured. Now he's out there soaking wet in this cold temps. :(

Trying to get answers from others who have faced this but as usual not getting any. :(

Ok I have this latest crisis to take care of. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Today it's 18 degrees with a wind chill of 3. The cats still will NOT use the shelters. I have tried catnip, stinky fish, moving to another area, plugged up one hole, opened up both entrance and exit, and they still run scared of the shelter and avoid it like a plague. It's been outside for 3 months. Instead they prefer to lay on ice cold concrete, cold and wet grass, in the tents, or on the utility cart. In this kind of cold weather. I'm at a loss as to what to do about this as none of the suggestions work. I can't have these shelters all over the yard because of Mom seeing. And then I have to give them kibble today because wet food will freeze over in 2 minutes and I have no hot hands or money for such. Ugh what a horrible tragedy this entire thing is. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well they at least still have the tents for wind protection. I keep thinking there must be a smell in those things that the cats just don't like but I don't know how to get rid of it, ....after this long, too. I just don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.