From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea the shelters have been outside in the fresh air, with rain and snow. It isn't the straw I noticed as they have now started laying in the tent with the same straw that's in the shelters. I don't know.

I forgot where, but someone suggested to add kitten chow to the feral cats food during winter because it gives them that fat they need to stay warm. Maybe they have been fed a lot of kitten chow?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess if the temps were bothering them they'd let me know since I can pet and hug all of them now. Too bad Mom is the way she is, I could at least let them come in for a few minutes but Cooper is so vocal I think they can hear him 500 miles away

Look what I'm getting. Be for all of us. Place under the cats kibble for a bit to warm up, warm up the self warming pads on real cold days, keep me warm while I'm babysitting their food bowls while eating, can help on my sore injuries, help Mom for when she's feeling cold and it's also a power bank that I can use in nicer weather to charge the Wyze Cams I have outside. It gets delivered tomorrow and I had $16 in gift card from these surveys so only had to put out $5 (tax and all).

Oh no, the birds are eating the cat food. I'm in tears. I can't afford to feed them as well. :(

I'm crying over this. :(

OMG: I'm going to lose these cats. The birds are coming in hundreds (or so it seems, looks like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock) and attacking the cats. I read articles and none of them work as the birds are used to all of that. Just like the raccoons get acclimated to it all. This would have to happen at 2 degree weather and I'm on crutches. Crying over this horrible tragedy :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
There's an article by Cuteness but this will not work. Shaman will #1 not come into the yard if she sees Cooper and Shadow. If I feed Cooper and Shadow first, then go to the side of the house to feed Shaman, it takes her a few minutes to come 2 doors down and by that time, Cooper has finished eating and wants to play whereas Shaman prefers to eat. Or Cooper follows me where ever I go forgetting about his food. Setting the food in a kennel does not work (remember we tried that) and the birds have ignored the wind chimes, metallic paper and all of that. They still come. I really think my situation is hopeless with these cats.

As usual Shaman hasn't even ate today because she's trying to hide from Cooper or being attacked by the birds. I"m really surprised these cats still bother with me with all the tragedies that go on around here

And now Shaman is missing again. I'm down sick, crawling literally on all 4s to care for these cats with the cold weather and this happens. :(

The cats are going to die of starvation or bird attack if something isn't done. My heart is breaking in two. None of them ate well today because of this most horrible tragedy. The birds are surrounding the cats and attacking (think Alfred Hitchcock) and crazy woman is upstairs I suppose enjoying it. :(

I can't do anymore. Every day there is one thing after another, from coyotes running loose, people with guns shooting them off, cats disappearing, the attacks, the cold and Cooper being so stupid. I'm going to find someone to take over and then I'll be done with it. My health is not getting any better and this is getting to be too much. I lost 2 cats and now I"ll lose the rest because of this? No I can't sit here and witness this any longer. And it's cruel to expect me to. It's a shame these cats put their trust in me because I can't do much to protect them because of crazy lady :(

How cold is too cold for them. I cry every night it turns bitterly cold. Going to be 0 windchill.

They may die. I’m in tears. 😥

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea the last article is about pets. I don’t think it addresses feral cats who were born out there and grew up in this weather. I don’t want dead frozen cats. 😩

And what can I do if they don’t go in the shelters? My heart is breaking

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you had a chance to check with the people who gave you the shelters? Do they have any ideas as to why your furkids won't use them?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing they said is that some cats take to the shelters right away, some have taken a year to feel comfortable enough to use and some cats just never do take to them. The shelters were donated to me by the St Louis Feral Cat Outreach who did the TNR on the cats before they showed up in my yard. Unless the shelter is too closed in for them and it reminds them of the traps.

I talked to a few other caretakers from St Louis and they have noticed the same behavior from the birds when putting out food for the feral cats. Crowding, attacking the cats, attacking each other, pooping everywhere (and bird poop is damaging) squawking. It seems the few that noticed this saw this starting last week. It doesn't mean it's widespread before someone thinks I'm falsely quoting the news but the few who noticed it found it odd but that's about it.

A thought I had and it may be far off but maybe worth noting: There always seems to be a reason for odd animal behavior change in atmosphere etc. And I"m seeing odd behavior from a lot of animals. Raccoons approaching humans, this with the birds, and (not that I feel sorry for them but worth observing) cockroaches are struggling to stay alive and they are supposed to outlive mankind. I also live in Missouri on the New Madrid fault line. I wonder if they sense something? Just a thought. And maybe, just maybe, humans are also affected by it (the news) although I won't go into it on here. I generally trust the animals and birds a lot more then getting my info from a weatherman. Not that the weathermen lie but anything can change the atmosphere that is not picked up on equipment. Again just a thought.

Oh and the odd behavior of the bald eagles and other raptors (I watch bald eagle cams) and the unusual territorial fighting going on. Although that always happens, just it's increased in certain areas and other areas are totally bare of all birds.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are going to die if I can't find a way around this. I was up at crack of dawn because I can't go out earlier, (Mom tragedy) and even while standing outside the birds came and attacked and chased the cats off. They almost attacked me in the process. My heart is breaking in two. Looks like I'll be losing this entire colony. I may have to relinquish the cats to someone who can bring them inside. And that tears me up terribly. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shadow is very ill. She's been lethargic the past two days. I guess I'll wind up losing the last 3 cats of this colony now :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at cam playback and stupid raccoon almost got stuck in the pet carrier. Why are all the animals and birds that come to my yard challenged? The dimensions are 20 x 13 x 14. And this is Harrison (George Harrison) and he's a huge raccoon.

It really hurts me that due to my illness and injuries I can't even stay out there with them. All I can do is hobble out, put food in the bowls and hobble back in. I know they feel abandoned again and this breaks my heart :(

As such the cats will most likely die of starvation as I can't find anyone to help me with this most horrible situation. And poor Shaman. If the birds aren't running them off Cooper is (from wanting to play. And crazy woman still is not letting me bring them inside. No one even wants to take the cats temporarily til all is sorted. It's now almost 48 hours since they were able to eat because of this. And too cold in my condition (sickness and injury) to stand guard over them while they eat. I'm really crying over this. I should have thought this all through before I took on the responsibility of feeding them. I knew Mom would throw fits about it and I did it anyway :(

I certainly can't be sitting outside in 0 degree weather for 2 or 3 hours while the cats eat to fight off all the other animals and any bully cats. Not with the injuries and sickness because I also get severe nose bleeds when I get too cold. I'm at a total loss. I've tried everything. Nothing works. :(

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the cats microchipped? This is a more long-term solution, but you could save up for one of those chip feeders the other animals won’t be able to get at the food. It can register multiple microchips, so you can have one backup chipfeeder that opens for all the cats.

Now, we have tried it with our indoor guy and he is finicky and hasn’t used it yet. So it’s something you would need to train them on so it won’t help right now. But it could reduce your stress in the future. It is pricey, but so is feeding birds and raccoons so it might be a good investment if it works.

SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder, White (4 x C Batteries Required)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman was the one who showed up when I came home with my arm in a sling and hung around on those days that I was down in the dumps or hurting. She then brought Shadow who she hung out with, then she brought Treasure who at that time she then dumped being friends with Shadow cos something scared her, and then she hung around with Treasure non stop til that fateful day 3 months ago. Treasure brought Sopdet and Shaman did not mind because Treasure would play with Sopdet and let her (Shaman) chill and relax. Shaman is not an overly playful cat. Shaman also brought Cooper and Ambrose to the food bowl. I saw her leading each one to the food bowl last February with the exception of Sopdet and Cooper who was brought by her in May.Then of course I lost Treasure and Sopdet and haven't seen Ambrose for 5 months. I do believe he found a home though as a lot of neighbors really loved him. This now leaves me with Cooper, Shaman and Shadow who made her return after being chased off. BTW: Shaman and Shadow are once again friends. Now none of them are able to eat. By the time I can get this microchip feeder they will all be dead of starvation. And now to top it off there are 4 wild turkeys running in the back yard.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some mackerel. It isn't ideal but I mixed it with the kibble and each of the cats ate it well. I may have to wind up getting the rolls of Freshpet for each cat and mixing with wet food in the morning (Shaman is the only one that likes it as is) and serve for their breakfast. That way if they do get chased off by birds the other times of day at least they would have had their day's serving at breakfast time. My hand warmer arrived so I was able to feed them keep the birds away and get my delivery at one time. Shaman had a hand full of kibble with a tablespoon of mackerel. I don't like feeding the fish all the time but it did get Shadow to eat yaay, so I guess one can stretched out a couple of days won't hurt them. I do have wet and kibble for them as well til Friday's shopping. This is the only solution I could come up with until the birds settle down.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a great solution! I don’t think that’s enough fish to cause any issues, so don’t worry there. Kitties are probably all so happy to have full tummies!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Shaman's Freshpet the other day as she was generally the only one getting run off but when we had all the ice, snow and sleet the other day I wound up feeding the freshpet to all of them as I was low on the kibble and unable to get out. I'm thinking this may be the only solution. And the cold won't last forever of course. After tomorrow we're back up in the 40s and 50s. This handwarmer feels great btw. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.