From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Care Credit denied me because my injuries and the incident with the unauthorized charge in my bank account ruined my credit. Ugh what am I going to do now? I'm struggling here physically and financially. It was fine until I tripped over Shaman 2 months ago. And the toe is turning black so I have to have myself taken care of as well. And it's difficult hobbling outside to feed the cats but I do it because I love them. :(

I may have to just take out a cash advance and get Cooper insured and do the other 2 later on. Hopefully he's healthy and will be around a long time.

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Care Credit denied me because my injuries and the incident with the unauthorized charge in my bank account ruined my credit. Ugh what am I going to do now? I'm struggling here physically and financially. It was fine until I tripped over Shaman 2 months ago. And the toe is turning black so I have to have myself taken care of as well. And it's difficult hobbling outside to feed the cats but I do it because I love them. :(
🙏:alright::catlove:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So Cooper has to suffer with arthritic pain unless I can get funds somehow. Don't you just wish you can take their pain and sickness onto yourself? Meanwhile Shadow is now pulling Cooper's stunts and running Shaman off.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So Cooper has to suffer with arthritic pain unless I can get funds somehow
One of my older girls has arthritis. We've had her on this supplement for a month now and it's made a huge difference.

You break open one capsule and mix it with their food or a tiny drop of milk. Twice a day for the first week, then once a day after that. It's beef flavoured, so they gobble it up.

$30 for 4 months supply. Not bad at all.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my older girls has arthritis. We've had her on this supplement for a month now and it's made a huge difference.

You break open one capsule and mix it with their food or a tiny drop of milk. Twice a day for the first week, then once a day after that. It's beef flavoured, so they gobble it up.

$30 for 4 months supply. Not bad at all.
Thank you. Need to find someone to buy it for me though as no money (holidays and cat food) but it is on my wishlist. Anyway how do I keep him off his legs/paws when he's feral and outside because of Mom not allowing him inside? I just saw him hop down from a ledge and now he's hobbling really bad again.

I'm looking at the forms to get assistance and it seems that I have to have a GoFundMe (ugh my family and friends are deadbeats as well as FB friends). This is really annoying. And I don't have a permanent vet as the ones I went to took feral cats way out of the way but the forms are wanting a vet for like domestic cats (in my area) It's a never ending battle. :(

I guess people do not understand why caring for these cats is important to me. Besides the fact that I love all them, it's also an atonement to Pepper for how I was when I was a heavy drunk and mean. I won't go into detail but her sending these cats to me is a 2nd chance and if I fail these cats in any way then I have totally failed Pepper. Sorry but it's true. Again I'm not doing it just to atone but because I truly do love them. It's not their fault some stupid human decide to hoard them with 74 plus other cats :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cooper will be ok, he'll heal as much as he can-i'm thinking he's a bit extra sore from the accident, and then, he will be able to learn whatever his new normal is, how much he can do, what works, what doesn't. You've been able to do some really incredible things for these cats.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks at that cat tree so sad like. He wants to get on it so bad and I've moved it so he can get on the ledge, then the utility cart and then the tree although he can't perch at the top. None of the cats liked perching in the top though for some reason. I may just take that part down and let them have another bed or so to lay in. Although the area is getting pretty crowded right now. Ok calling these companies to see if I can get some kind of financial assistance. I ordered the collars and tags as our Village is cracking down and wants us to have any pet that is "tamed" meaning feral to be collard with personal tag because of animal control. This is because of the large number of pit bulls seen roaming the streets the past month terrorizing children and other pets. Irresponsible pet owners and there really is a law here that they need to be in a yard. The feral cats are encouraged of course as we all are rid of the rat and mole pests in the area. A mole here and there is fine but we're experiencing sink holes from too many in the ground. Natural pest control.

Crying big time here. I can possibly get assistance but how am I going to take him to a vet without Mom seeing. Ugh this is horrible

He's a trooper for sure. He will not lay still and then winds up hobbling all over the place. I wish my local feral society would tell me the history of these cats so I know what I'm dealing with. Considering they were feral cats I doubt there's that doctor/patient confidentiality thing but the feral society is not cooperating with me. I know with Cooper they can't but the others like Shadow and Shaman were feral and TNRd. I don't get it. I doubt Shadow or Shaman will sue if the vet tells me what's going on.

All the vets I spoke with are wanting records from the feral vets that TNRd these cats but local Feral Society is not cooperating. What a tragedy this is. As long as I"ll be taking care of Cooper I may as well do the other 2.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 is there a way to find a vet who possibly wouldn't require the TNR records? Or, can moonstonewolf talk directly with the feral vets without having to go through the local Feral Society?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking for a vet that will take these cats. At some point I will need to anyway and I'd like to have the same vet for all 3. However I need records on the vet or vets who TNRd Shaman and Shadow and the St Louis Feral Cat Outreach refuses to cooperate. What, I'm supposed to just let the cats suffer in pain and disease for however long their lives will be because they were once feral? Surely someone has records if they were TNRd of health and vaccinations right? This has been a very frustrating 2 days trying to find someone. The Saving St Louis Pets is willing to pay but I need to get a vet. Thank you.

I found a vet that has an office 1 mile from my house. And he makes house calls (which is helpful if I can't get Cooper into a carrier). I'm just hoping that he takes former feral cats and if he comes to the house Mom won't see him. Otherwise I'll have to sneak Cooper to the vet some other way. This is a nightmare

The feeding tragedies resumes. Shadow and Cooper are teaming up keeping Shaman from eating. Something has to be done about this situation.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Re the reconds...FIND A VET AND HAVE THEM REQUEST THE RECORDS. That should not be a problem, if you explain the situation to them. It is very unlikely that St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach would refuse to cooperate with a request from an actual veterinarian. Pity that they are being so unresponsive, but this would at least get what you need.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Re the reconds...FIND A VET AND HAVE THEM REQUEST THE RECORDS. That should not be a problem, if you explain the situation to them. It is very unlikely that St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach would refuse to cooperate with a request from an actual veterinarian. Pity that they are being so unresponsive, but this would at least get what you need.
Thank you. I did find a vet that makes house calls but am waiting to hear if he takes former feral cat. It's easier as leaving Mom is a problem for me.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if the cats all took off on their own I would probably leave the stuff up for the entertainment provided by the possums and raccoons. I named this raccoon George Harrison because he sits and listens to anything by the Beatles (especially My Sweet Lord) and I named the stuffed raccoon Ringo so when I say here comes Ringo the cats know who I'm talking about. So cute when Harrison pokes his face in Ringo's. haha

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the raccoon is sick, very hungry or defending itself or the baby raccoons, they get along. I've seen the cats play chase with the raccoons or the cat/raccoon version of tag your it. I was just scared of the old gaze because of the boldness of them and they were found sick but this gaze seems ok. If you look on YouTube you'll see a ton of videos of people's feral cats lounging around with possums and raccoons. I can now walk past these 2 raccoons by inches and they pay me no mind (taking the garbage out) I still wouldn't hand feed them like idiot up the street does but cats have no issues with them. They all live together in the bushes or the water drainage area. Not sure about housecats but maybe its the same. I'm sure others will say whether they had issues or not.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Harrison is actually a Georgette Harrison as she's so big (like pregnant: not sure when they mate and have babies) but I doubt she cares if I gave her a male name) The possum from above photo I named Ellie Mae (As Ellie Mae Clampett always had a possum on her shoulder). I have witnessed raccoons being more aggressive with each other than other species.

Status
Not open for further replies.